Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-22-2009, 09:00 PM   #81
Athetosis
has no useful title

Quote:
Originally Posted by King ofKumbucha

I'm sorry. Been working early mornings lately and having band practice at night... tired as hell by the time I get home.

Oh, I see how it is. You only come back in here to brag about your growling, eh?

Regardless, questions are still getting answered, and the stuff that's already up seems to have helped quite a few people, so everything seems to be going well enough.

That'll make you look mad.
Athetosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:10 AM   #82
King ofKumbucha
Gore not Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athetosis
Oh, I see how it is. You only come back in here to brag about your growling, eh?

Regardless, questions are still getting answered, and the stuff that's already up seems to have helped quite a few people, so everything seems to be going well enough.

You asshole.

Seriously though, I think the thread is doing just fine without me but I still do promise to get to that FAQ. I had work over the weekend so it severly clamped down on my free time.
King for Decap!
King ofKumbucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:55 AM   #83
Ulalume

Sorry in advanced if this has been asked already, but would you say it is possible for anyone to learn how to do these extreme vocal types and adjust them to be decent in music (with practice and such of course)?

Want a review? Send me a PM or email through the contact form on my site.
Ulalume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:38 AM   #84
destroy_techno
Doesn't like breakadowns

Yup, everyone can learn it if they bother practicing

Some people just learn it easier than others, but it's possible for anyone

just keep in mind that everyone has a different tone, just like singing, and your tone might not be exactly what you are aiming for
Above all
And nail me
To forever
destroy_techno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:34 PM   #85
Wretched_Spawn

I need help with growling.
Apparently my low growls are good (coming from someone whos been doing it for a few years) and someone else said i sound like napalm death's frontman.

But i nned help with projection.
Ideas?
Wretched_Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:50 PM   #86
Ulalume

Projection in the sense of making it louder? I am no expert by any means but I would recommend opening your mouth wider. Maybe that sounds stupid, but its what I do while pushing from the abdomen.

Want a review? Send me a PM or email through the contact form on my site.
Ulalume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 12:26 PM   #87
King ofKumbucha
Gore not Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulalume
Projection in the sense of making it louder? I am no expert by any means but I would recommend opening your mouth wider. Maybe that sounds stupid, but its what I do while pushing from the abdomen.

The mouth helps to shape the sound a great deal so I wouldn't sacrifice tone for volume. Just my two cents.
King for Decap!
Old 03-30-2009, 12:32 PM   #88
mortiis999

Quote:
Originally Posted by King ofKumbucha

• Do not "cup" the mic unless you are inhaling! A lot of serious growlers consider this cheating. If you lack the power and have to cup, practice more instead.
    [Guitarmike123]

I wouldn't take this as a hard and fast rule, I mean using cupping here and there can add texture/reverb etc. Really it's about what sounds good/ suits your voice, not what 'serious growlers' say about you. If cupping sounds good for you, as it does for sone singers, then do it. I certainly see nothing wrong with doing it as part of a veriety of sounds. and techniques.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CG Man16
Anyone?

One more thing, today my throat's sore, like when you're sick. Should you feel a vibration in your chest while you're growling.

Yeah, if your voice is deep, then it will. My chest really feels li,ke it is rattling when I do my lowest vox.

Last edited by mortiis999 : 03-30-2009 at 12:35 PM.
mortiis999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 01:11 PM   #89
King ofKumbucha
Gore not Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortiis999
I wouldn't take this as a hard and fast rule, I mean using cupping here and there can add texture/reverb etc. Really it's about what sounds good/ suits your voice, not what 'serious growlers' say about you. If cupping sounds good for you, as it does for sone singers, then do it. I certainly see nothing wrong with doing it as part of a veriety of sounds. and techniques.

I agree for brutal vocals (Wormed, Disgorge, Suffocation). But cupping for mid-ranged stuff to give it more punch is cheating imo. Then again my opinion means very little and everyone is free to do what they want.
King for Decap!
Old 03-30-2009, 03:29 PM   #90
destroy_techno
Doesn't like breakadowns

Tips for sounding like Disgorge with exhales? I can do something like it, but it's inhales, and I can't get much volume + I hate doing inhales
Above all
And nail me
To forever

Last edited by destroy_techno : 03-30-2009 at 07:47 PM.
destroy_techno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:42 PM   #91
beadhangingOne
Gnomesaiyan?

Ok, so anyone know how in the hell do you do those weird-ass growls that Psycroptic does?

su nioJ
su nioJ
su nioJ

Welcome back!
beadhangingOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:35 PM   #92
Monolith295
Life iz Hell

Quote:
Tips for sounding like Disgorge with exhales? I can't do something like it, but it's inhales, and I can't get much volume + I hate doing inhales

My exhales suck so I don't bother with them. I was just unsure how they were done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodofCheesecake
"And I would've gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you darn kids and your meddling and your breakadowns!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakedbythecomp
Metal is a sub-genre of metalcore since metalcore is more popular therefore better.
Monolith295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:28 PM   #93
SevertheWicked
Who?

Alright, I've been "working" (which means singing along with my favorite songs) on my vocals a lot lately. I think I'm decent enough at black metal styled vox, but I really want to get a strong death metal growl.

Why is it that one style is easier than the other for me? And should I be worried if my throat gets soar (not actual pain) somewhat afterwords a session of growling?

And if you care to sample my growls, look right on my profile at With Fear I Serve. Perhaps that might give a better representation of my voice.

Does it sound "proper"?
SevertheWicked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 03:53 PM   #94
Wretched_Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulalume

i'll try that wider mouth thing
n00b question it may be but does anyone have advice on pushing from the abdomen and is there a way to tell if you're actually pushing from the abdomen properley?
also are Shargath's vocals rasps or shrieks?
Wretched_Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:32 PM   #95
blood8815
UG Board King

Hey guys, how do I get does growls Jason Mendonca(Akerocke) does in songs like Eyes of the Dawn and Words that go unspoken? Also, how do I make my growls last longer?

blood8815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:15 PM   #96
Legion355
I'm On A Boat!

Okay, when I growl, my throat hurts after a prolonged period of time. I know this is not good in the slightest, so is there anything I can do to fix this?

Last edited by Legion355 : 04-06-2009 at 09:41 PM.
Legion355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:15 PM   #97
fowles06
Rox Title!

if it hurts i dont think your doing it properly.

although im no pro...
Old 04-06-2009, 09:40 PM   #98
Legion355
I'm On A Boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fowles06
if it hurts i dont think your doing it properly.

although im no pro...

Yeah, I've figured this out, so I'm wondering what I'm doing. Tomorrow I'm gonna read over the Wiki article and try to fix my method.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:28 AM   #99
blood8815
UG Board King

Quote:
Originally Posted by blood8815
Hey guys, how do I get does growls Jason Mendonca(Akerocke) does in songs like Eyes of the Dawn and Words that go unspoken? Also, how do I make my growls last longer?

Anyone

blood8815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:59 AM   #100
webbtje
Banned

Location: In a ditch, covered in petrol, on fire, in Camden/Paris/the Isle of sodding Man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blood8815

Well, I might be snagging some guitar and vocal lessons off him soon, so I'll be sure to ask him and not tell you.

*manic laughter*
webbtje is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: