Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-17-2009, 07:26 PM   #61
Cheeseman07
UG Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dethklokrulz!
i can hit a low E clearly, and i can go to the B below middle C clearly. but the instant i hit middle c, my voice strains. this would make me a bass right?

Depends. You could be a bass or an undeveloped baritone.
Can we get some clips?

I'm more or less a tenor but I used to be able to just barely hit a low E, it's hard to tell without hearing your voice.

Last edited by Cheeseman07 : 10-17-2009 at 07:28 PM.
Cheeseman07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:18 AM   #62
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dethklokrulz!
i can hit a low E clearly, and i can go to the B below middle C clearly. but the instant i hit middle c, my voice strains. this would make me a bass right?

That would be my thought.

CT

**bit surprised at that list above that puts Michael Stipe as a baritone... maybe. Certainly not an operatic tenor, but he does go higher than many baritones, and his tone is not very 'baritone.'

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 03:00 PM   #63
stusa05

Ok so this has been bugging me for a long time, as much as I research I can't quite figure out what my vocal range is.

In my chest voice I can comfortably sing an A#2-G4(the g might be part mixed voice but it's really easy). With head Voice I can get up to the A# above middle C. I can usually hit the B right below C5, but it's not totally consistent.

With falsetto I can get up to about a G#5, give or take a note depending on the day, but my falsetto sounds very good without me really trying.

I THINK I'm probably a tenor, the only thing that has me confused is that I can sound kinda like a baritone when I'm singing lower notes. But in general I'm most comfortable singing in the upper part of my range, and I don't really have a low speaking voice.

Sorry for the long description but I figured it'd help answer my question.
stusa05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:01 PM   #64
Cheeseman07
UG Senior Member

^definitely sounds like a tenor to me, you probably only think your lower notes sound like a baritones because everyone hears more resonance in their voice when they sing than everyone else listening does. Unless you've recorded yourself with a mic and have heard that back, that's a different story.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:47 AM   #65
Ceresz
Wannabe

If I can go from B1-G4 on a good day after warming up, that would make me a bass right?
Ceresz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 12:29 PM   #66
rbouchard47

Well a baritone with a bassy end
rbouchard47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 07:35 PM   #67
Cheeseman07
UG Senior Member

a B1 though? if he's not hitting that in vocal fry he's gotta be a bass.

edit: oops. just listened to the song on your profile. you definitely don't sound like a bass to me. do you maybe mean that your lowest note is a B2 (b below low c)? or maybe you're counting notes that you can only growl out?

Last edited by Cheeseman07 : 10-25-2009 at 07:41 PM.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:10 PM   #68
henryrollins

Im baritone, i have a mediocre range and i cant hold a note...
henryrollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:31 AM   #69
Ceresz
Wannabe

I can only touch on the B1 though. That song on my profile doesn't really show my lower range, since I don't like using it. But I can easily sing in the second octave. I'll post an example sometime. The reason I don't think I'm a baritone is because I'm not that comfortable going over a C4 yet, I'm still working on get the notes between middle C and G4 comfortable.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:29 PM   #70
Cheeseman07
UG Senior Member

still seems a lil extreme though, that low B is such a bass note yet I still think you sound a bit like a high baritone even. ah well we'll see when you put up your lower range recordings.

and don't worry too much about your range just yet, when I started I could barely hit the G below middle C and I can belt out a high C now, your range will probably start expanding dramatically quite soon.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:27 PM   #71
Ceresz
Wannabe

Yeah, I don't really worry that much about my range anymore . As long as it sounds good I don't really care. Maybe I'm a baritone, doesn't really matter to me. I'll post a clip as soon as I can record something. And maybe I shouldn't have counted that low B, I can't really sing down there haha.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:02 PM   #72
MartyredHero

So my range is from Low D (like drop D tuning on a guitar) to the G above middle C like baritone range but the notes at and above middle C are weak. Am I a bass or a baritone?

Check the songs on this page (the first in particular):
myspace.com/threeleggeddogskip

Last edited by MartyredHero : 10-27-2009 at 10:07 PM.
MartyredHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 03:27 PM   #73
Life Is Brutal
Master of Modulation

At D Standard I can hit the Low D and the High d, so 2 Octaves there, lol... Is that enough to say anything.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:20 AM   #74
sloppy118
customized homosapien +1

Hey guys, i think im in the wrong thread but how do you avoid getting that shrieking sound when you are singing in falsetto? I'm curious. Forgive me if you have to put up with the same question asked before.

Like for example Axl Rose, i think at times does sound like he is shrieking. Or so i think so. Thom Yorke and Matthew Bellamy however i think, again, do not sound as if they are shrieking. They sound "smooth". I would like to know how to not shriek and how to not sound like sand paper when in falsetto.

Please help and much thanks.
sloppy118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 04:38 PM   #75
Jimbosandwich
UG's Lone Wanderer

So, when I'm singing scales, I can use my chest voice from about A2 to G4, then I can use my head voice to around the high C. Would that make me a tenor? I can go down to the G2, but it sounds terrible, and has no power.

Edit: In case it's relevant, there's no straining on the C5. It is a completely comfortable note, and my larynx doesn't even budge.

Last edited by Jimbosandwich : 10-31-2009 at 04:41 PM.
Jimbosandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 02:19 PM   #76
Ceresz
Wannabe

I have posted a clip on my profile of my range now . At least part of it. I even added some vocal fry because I was bored... I know that it really doesn't count . Didn't go that high, top note was D4 I think.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:25 PM   #77
canvasDude

Well, I can definitely hit the low E string and maybe a dropped D or C (MAYBE a B, but I really don't think so) and I can hit the high e if I strain. I might be able to get a few semitones higher with some practice, but I think the highest I remember going recently (with no falsetto, just head voice) is around 3rd or 4th fret high e. WITH falsetto I can hit as high as the 15th fret on the high e. So what would I be? I am not really sure if i would be a baritone or a low tenor maybe?

我是音乐家
canvasDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:32 PM   #78
Jimbosandwich
UG's Lone Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by canvasDude
Well, I can definitely hit the low E string and maybe a dropped D or C (MAYBE a B, but I really don't think so) and I can hit the high e if I strain. I might be able to get a few semitones higher with some practice, but I think the highest I remember going recently (with no falsetto, just head voice) is around 3rd or 4th fret high e. WITH falsetto I can hit as high as the 15th fret on the high e. So what would I be? I am not really sure if i would be a baritone or a low tenor maybe?

With a range like that, you can call yourself anything you want.

I would say you're a higher/expanded baritone, but with your range, it depends mostly on your tonal quality. Have you spent time expanding your range yet, or was this your first run?
Old 11-03-2009, 10:14 AM   #79
canvasDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbosandwich
With a range like that, you can call yourself anything you want.

I would say you're a higher/expanded baritone, but with your range, it depends mostly on your tonal quality. Have you spent time expanding your range yet, or was this your first run?

Well, when I first started like a few months ago I could only hit the G2(if 1st fret B is C4) to C4. But I have this little kid head voice that I use when I joke around with friends that could get up to G4 with no falsetto. Speaking of which, I'm not sure but should I feel any resonance in my face or chest with falsetto? I don't, so that's what I'm calling falsetto at this point. It sounds like a woman opera singer. lol

我是音乐家
canvasDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:08 AM   #80
Jimbosandwich
UG's Lone Wanderer

Quote:
Well, when I first started like a few months ago I could only hit the G2(if 1st fret B is C4) to C4.

Yep, 1st fret B is middle C. You wouldn't believe how many people that confuses.

Quote:
But I have this little kid head voice that I use when I joke around with friends that could get up to G4 with no falsetto.

Then I'm assuming this is your head voice. If it isn't falsetto, then it definitely is.

Quote:
Speaking of which, I'm not sure but should I feel any resonance in my face or chest with falsetto? I don't, so that's what I'm calling falsetto at this point. It sounds like a woman opera singer. lol

For me, I can only feel falsetto resonating in my throat. I don't think falsetto resonates the same as the other registers.

It seems to me like you haven't "expanded" your range yet. You've "discovered" it. To me, expanding means doing the same thing over again for many weeks until it becomes comfortable, and easy to do. Discovering means finding different coordinations that let you sing higher. If your highest starting note is a G4, you'll be hitting high notes in no time.

Rate This Thread: