Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-30-2009, 01:54 AM   #41
mmolteratx
UG God

It still sounds a bit buzzy in that vid. I'd have to try one in person but as of now, I've lost most interest.
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT
mmolteratx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 02:13 AM   #42
Roc8995

My thoughts on that demo:
-Clean channels should not have gain knobs.
-I don't like it when companies use weird guitars to demo amps. I haven't played a Framus Panthera, I can't tell what it's supposed to sound like. I know it's fun to show off your super secret prototype custom, but use something the casual observer has played before.
-The tone sounded really, really sizzly. That's cool, but I didn't hear it dialed out the whole time, which worries me.
-The note definition was quite good. That thing should cut nicely for most OD sounds.

I want to say it was a cold sounding amp and that I don't buy their claim that it's got a huge sweet spot, but that wouldn't be entirely fair due to the recording quality of the camera mic. Still, if that's all I have to go on, I'm not really blown away. I've always been a 1-2 channel, no fx loop sort of guy though.
For $1699, the head will be a good deal for some people, but I think there's a lot more amp to be had at that price range unless you really need two FX loops and three channels.

Major props on the saturation meter though, that's way cool.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:38 AM   #43
ragingkitty
meow?

I can't see the vid, I'll post my views when I get home.

However, based on Colin's review of it... it sounds somewhat gimmicky.

Plus one thought that caught me was that, they are marketing the amp a lot on the whole "power saturation at low levels", but what if that is all there is to the amp and the tone doesn't really measure up to how they are hyping the amp to be be like?

I feel there's too much focus on a a bell and whistle feature of the amp, and not sufficient focus on the tonal characteristics and capabilities of the amp.

Or maybe I'm wrong and the tone is so awesome and they have the tone down pat. That way they can afford not to sell the amp based on a gimmick, since they know they already have a good tone.

That's just my thoughts on how they're selling the amp. After all, just because its a tube amp that can achieve power saturation at any level, low or high, doesn't automatically mean it's got good tone. A tube amp with lousy tone can achieve power saturation too. What's stopping the Bolt amp from being a tube amp with crappy tone that can achieve power saturation whether the master's at 1 or 10?

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
ragingkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 04:18 AM   #44
Crohny

I'm very interested in this. for a while i wondered when something like this would come out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Crohny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:14 AM   #45
DeathByDestroyr
not autistic

there are 3 different reverbs, able to be set individually for each channel. Even if the whole voltage regulator is a gimmick, I could see it being a hella fun amplifier.

But then again, I'm never going to spend that much on an amp, especially the market the way it is. There has been a lot of cool amps in the last 15 years, cool amps built on a solid foundation.

Bolt amps don't seem to be built on that solid foundation, they are trying to pioneer like a bunch of hippies or something...
Old 02-19-2010, 01:20 PM   #46
greggo909

It,s made in Salt lake city UT. I got to play one at a place called Styles Music in SO cal. I got to say this amp sounds great. I own a Mesa Dual Rec and I think I going to sell it to get the BTH100 head. The range of tones in the amp it amazing, playing a strat through it I got a great spanky rhythm tone as well as a sweet classic rock tone. When I plugged in my PRS custom 24 I could get a lot of natural tube compression on a half drive sound. I dialed in a mean rock sound for the 80's and 90's covers. I switched in to channel three and set it up for a huge metal sound. I got to tell you I was very impressed by the versatility of this thing. I think this is my new amp! Now I just need so cash!
greggo909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:25 PM   #47
AngryGoldfish
do I "urk" you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggo909
It,s made in Salt lake city UT. I got to play one at a place called Styles Music in SO cal. I got to say this amp sounds great. I own a Mesa Dual Rec and I think I going to sell it to get the BTH100 head. The range of tones in the amp it amazing, playing a strat through it I got a great spanky rhythm tone as well as a sweet classic rock tone. When I plugged in my PRS custom 24 I could get a lot of natural tube compression on a half drive sound. I dialed in a mean rock sound for the 80's and 90's covers. I switched in to channel three and set it up for a huge metal sound. I got to tell you I was very impressed by the versatility of this thing. I think this is my new amp! Now I just need so cash!
Thanks for the quick review, man.
AngryGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 02:45 PM   #48
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggo909

THANKS! Thanks for sharing.

I'll add that to the OP. I figured it would be pretty good for rock and such but you are saying it good for metal too? That means you liked the DSP tone? Also, could you get a cranked tone at lower volumes like they claim?

Even though I probably would never buy one, I would be more interested in a black or chrome one used
Old 02-19-2010, 03:03 PM   #49
greggo909

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH
THANKS! Thanks for sharing.

I'll add that to the OP. I figured it would be pretty good for rock and such but you are saying it good for metal too? That means you liked the DSP tone? Also, could you get a cranked tone at lower volumes like they claim?

Even though I probably would never buy one, I would be more interested in a black or chrome one used

I'm not sure what you mean by DSP tones . The only DSP is the reverb and it sounded OK certainly nothing to rival my lexcon but still usable. And yes it sounded huge turned way down, it didn't loose the cranked tube saturation we all love from that turned up tube amp. I was able to get a great metal sound in the third channel, the key is the parametric mid control. I think this amp is something you need to hear for your self. As for me I'm going back to the store today to play it some more. This time my friend who is a awesome jazz player is meeting me there with his 335. I,m curious see here what kind of jazz tone he can get out of it. I'm with you the silver one looks much better than the gold!
greggo909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 03:07 PM   #50
Shinozoku
UG Nerd

First thing I thought of when I saw these amps was that Disney movie by the same name I never read into them, but I really dig the idea behind this!

EDIT: The videos have been removed =/ Maybe they're making new ones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magero
Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores

Last edited by Shinozoku : 02-19-2010 at 03:12 PM.
Shinozoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 03:14 PM   #51
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

^wasn't even aware of that - that makes it even funnier

greggo909 - I see. Because it only has 2 preamp tubes I thought the DSP was doing more tone shaping other than just reverb. Man, if you could somehow record your trip to the store we would be forever grateful. Epecially some metal riffage.

v.....Yes, Jazz too

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH : 02-19-2010 at 03:22 PM.
311ZOSOVHJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 03:16 PM   #52
Shinozoku
UG Nerd

^And the Jazz, too Any amp that can pull off both amazingly is a great amp by me!

BTW: The guy Jeremy looks like a faculty member at my college, but with longer hair...

Okay, it's cut in this vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj4v...feature=related
Pretty sweet video though. Could be a more extensive, but I'm diggin the tones from it!

It appears the gain knob not only controls the amount of preamp gain, but also the amount of voltage hitting the power tubes. As he says, it monitors ALL the gain stages in the amp. Pretty much it appears the amp is designed to hit the power tube sweet spot at all volume levels (then probably saturates more when the master is past the usual sweet spot).

That's just theory though

EDIT: Just Youtube Bolt Amps. There's some GREAT demonstrations of it by a guy named Marc Cooper. Of course, he's also demonstrating some AXON synth stuff, Moollon and Digitech Hardwire pedals, and Brian Moore guitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magero
Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores

Last edited by Shinozoku : 02-19-2010 at 03:41 PM.
Shinozoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:13 PM   #53
bonanza2252003

Just bought one. I'll do a detailed demo when it arrives
bonanza2252003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:36 PM   #54
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Old 03-08-2011, 08:06 PM   #55
coolstoryangus
Ludicrous Display!

I loled at the name of this amp company

Where i come from if you say bolt its kinda a term that means go away in a rude fashion!

BOLT!
coolstoryangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:41 PM   #56
bonanza2252003

I've owned one for awhile now and love it . I've owned Bogners ,Fuchs ,Splawn and many others and this has become my main gigging amp. It can do everything from brootle metal to classic Marshall or fender or you can create your own sound with the active EQ . I absolutely love this thing .It can do all my favorite amps in one and do them extremely well at any volume. If you are a gigging muscian this cannot be beat by anything on the market that I've used .
bonanza2252003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:46 PM   #57
deepsal

That dog owns an amp company now!!!!
wth.....
who's next...barbie???
deepsal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 01:25 PM   #58
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonanza2252003
I've owned one for awhile now and love it . I've owned Bogners ,Fuchs ,Splawn and many others and this has become my main gigging amp. It can do everything from brootle metal to classic Marshall or fender or you can create your own sound with the active EQ . I absolutely love this thing .It can do all my favorite amps in one and do them extremely well at any volume. If you are a gigging muscian this cannot be beat by anything on the market that I've used .

I've played Splawn and Fuchs and those are hella amps so this is very curious.

Clips?

Can you maybe do a quality vid showcasing its capabilities and br00tal metal?
Old 04-04-2011, 02:51 PM   #59
gregs1020
Hi mom!

very cool thread. 311.

for more clips.

i agree with colin on the meter, that's cool.
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:18 AM   #60
ragingkitty
meow?

Wow I thought the amp died a premature death.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
ragingkitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: