Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-30-2014, 07:20 PM   #1
bbrownie1997

I can't do my growls anymore? Messed up my voice?

I have recently got into doing growls and screaming. I don't do fry screams because of the more risk of hurting my voice but I have been practicing my growls. I recently got down how to do them properly about 3 days ago & ever since I got them down I've been practicing about an hour or longer a night doing songs since then. It doesn't hurt whenever I do growls it comes out pretty smooth and painless I constantly drink room temp. water to keep my mouth from getting dry and hurting my voice. After I have been done each night my throat has been a little tender but I can still talk and sing perfectly fine and it doesn't last long. But, today my voice is fine and I can sing and talk with no pain but every time I try to do my growls its like this weird dry croak and it's very hoarse but soon as I do it sounds so dry and I can't even do it, it just stops coming out. I'm doing it the way I have been for the past 3 days and I haven't had this problem until today but I don't know what's going on. I can't do it anymore the way I have been. Even when I'm drinking water to keep my throat wet it drys up so fast and comes out this dry croaking noise. I'm worried maybe I messed something up in my throat? Or maybe I need to rest it for a couple days cause I have been straining it too much? I have no pain at all, it doesn't hurt at all or anything, I just don't know what's going on. Hopefully someone can help please!

Last edited by bbrownie1997 : 10-30-2014 at 08:23 PM.
bbrownie1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 02:55 PM   #2
merriman44

Inflammation. You've overworked the area. Give it a break and it will come back. It sounds like you are just a bit swollen, which will kill the scream. I assume you are using your false cords. This explains why you can still sing ok.
merriman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 01:52 PM   #3
bbrownie1997

Yeah, I was leaning more that way that I had just screamed too much in a short period of time. But, will this happen a lot? Or will my false chords get use to it and I'll be able to do it for a little longer? I'm newer to growls. Does everybody use their false chords when they do growls? Oh and sorry man about posting twice I posted it here and then posting it on the other thread because I thought that was a better place and forgot to delete this post.
Old 11-02-2014, 09:46 AM   #4
merriman44

No problem. It will get better in time with correct practice. Not everyone uses false cord, no. True fold distortion is just as common if not more so. But if you can speak and sing fine, but can't scream, you are obviously not irritating that mechanism. When you get a chance, toss up a recording of yourself.

Three days is nothing in screaming. It'll take months to years to get a,mastery over it.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:18 PM   #5
gorkyporky
I like pie.

^true, ive been doing it for about a year now i think, and its just lately that i am becoming comfortable with it.
gorkyporky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 10:20 PM   #6
bbrownie1997

Yeah, I definitely understand that it's gonna take awhile to get a lot better at it. But I definitely can see I progressed a little. Sometime whenever I feel more comfortable with it I will throw a recording up and would like some other peoples opinion but one question I have more than anything is that I can't seem to know why no one has asked this question before but PHLEGM. I get so much phlegm in the back of my throat whenever I start screaming and even when I sit their and clear my throat constantly I can't seem to get rid of it to do AT LEAST a line out of a song. I know if I try to growl at a low volume I get that phlegm distortion which ruins my scream and it makes the scream sound so weird and all different noises. Someone told me you're suppose to have a little bit of it in your throat to help the scream but that makes no freaking sense? It ruins my screams most of the time.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:58 AM   #7
gorkyporky
I like pie.

Huh, never had that problem myself. Make sure you dont eat for like 2 hours before you scream. Or drink anything that could lead to this, like milk and stuff. Drink water. Also, are you sure you are healthy? Im guessing this can happen if you have a cold or something.

Im not sure you should be doing screaming at low volume at this point as well. Im not even sure if its doable? Resident expert merriman will have more to say on this, but if i remember correctly, screaming loud is safer and easier, and you shouldnt try to do it quetly when you start out. Its also possible that this is why you actually have issues with phlegm.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:44 AM   #8
merriman44

Volume is subjective and style specific so don't worry about that so much. Phlegm production is caused by a plethorange of things; allergies, milk, colds, temperature, time of day. The one I'm most concerned with though is irritation. When you beat up your cords mucus production is stimulated to coat and limit further damage.

I'd advise you to throw a recording up sooner rather than later as it sounds like something is going on that is incorrect.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:10 PM   #9
bbrownie1997

Well like I don't try to scream at low volume and I usually don't, its usually just warming up my voice a little then its quite loud. But, I don't know whats going on with the phlegm because I've always had this problem, not when I sing but I definitely have to clear my throat like 200 times before I do so it doesn't ruin the song I'm singing. I'm not sick or anything I'm perfectly fine with health wise, when I get allergies it only makes my eyes water nothing to do with affecting my voice. I don't smoke, I don't do anything that would hinder it and I ALWAYS drink room temperature water so It doesn't constrict anything to make it sound terrible. But, for some reason today I can't even scream again and I was going to make a recording, It sounds so hoarse and dry like it did the other day, plus I didn't scream yesterday at all or the day before so I'm not quite sure whats going on again. Maybe irritation? I have always thought this much phlegm in my throat at all times was normal but now I'm seeing that it may be not so normal and starting to irritate me. It seems like such a much harder process for me to get the basics whenever I'm getting so much phlegm problems and hoarse screams whenever I haven't done it in 2 days.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:37 PM   #10
gorkyporky
I like pie.

Give it a few days. If you wrecked something in your throat you should give it some time to heal. The best way to do that is to simply stay quiet. Like, just dont talk. And when you talk, do it in a normal voice, dont whisper. Thats really bad for your cords.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:06 PM   #11
merriman44

Clearing your throat the normal way 3ssentially grinds your cords together. Try not to do. Stay quiet for a few days. If it doesn't go away, see an ent.
Old 11-11-2014, 01:10 AM   #12
Eisa_Kashu

Whenever you growl or do any low distortion with the false vocal cords, there will ALWAYS be some vocal fry activation. The trick is to keep the vocal fry part as relaxed as possible to let false ones sound better.

I would highly recommend buying aloe very drink, 50oz if possible. As far as damage goes, it depends on severity. If you cannot talk normally or you sing and it hurts immediately, it means your vocal are inflammed and you shouldn't sing for 2 weeks. If it's sore but you don't have the symtpons above, you just need to rest for a day and then you'll be good to go.

most likely you are just forcing the vocal cord/ vocal fry part of your voice too much, so you'll only last for a short period of time. And probably the large amounts of phlegm may be due to the fact that you are forcing your vocal cords. And as far as phlegm/mucus production, it's something you have to learn to ignore.
Eisa_Kashu is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: