Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-29-2009, 09:09 PM   #1
Falsealibis
A UG gentleman.

Powerful Voice?

Hey guys, I was just wondering how singers such as Paul Rodgers, Bon Jovi, Robert Plant, Steven Tyler, Axl Rose, etc... Sing with such powerful sounding voices, because every time I sing it sounds no where near as powerful.

Is this this just the way there voices naturally are or can i learn this?

Cheers

Amp: Marshall JCM900 4100

Pedals: Boss DS-1, Dunlop Crybaby, Dancelectro CC-1, Ibanez LU-20
Falsealibis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:39 PM   #2
Jimbosandwich
UG's Lone Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falsealibis
Hey guys, I was just wondering how singers such as Paul Rodgers, Bon Jovi, Robert Plant, Steven Tyler, Axl Rose, etc... Sing with such powerful sounding voices, because every time I sing it sounds no where near as powerful.

Is this this just the way there voices naturally are or can i learn this?

Cheers

When you say powerful, do you mean "strong in the upper register", or "powerful voice all together"?

Either way, it can be learned, just one way (powerful upper register) is harder than the other. Do you have any clips for us to listen to? We could probably help you out a bit if you do.
Jimbosandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:32 AM   #3
Falsealibis
A UG gentleman.

It's not so much just a powerful upper register, it's the way that there voices seem to completely "fill the room" for example the vocals in the chorus of Mr. Big by Free just seem so massive, if ya get me:

Here's another example:

Tbh I can't really explain it :/ I know very little 'bout singing apart from the basics, I can hit all the right notes but it just sound like Rodgers or Plant haha :p

Amp: Marshall JCM900 4100

Pedals: Boss DS-1, Dunlop Crybaby, Dancelectro CC-1, Ibanez LU-20
Falsealibis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:44 AM   #4
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

It's all about getting a proper balance in your voice. That's something which has to be learned.

It mayn't make sense now, but to get a "powerful" voice on the higher notes you need to use the right amount of your lower voice to do it.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:10 AM   #5
Black Star
UG Fanatic

Really, it's all about the resonance in your voice. Depending on where your voice goes when you sing, it will change how it sounds. For example, if your voice is caught in the back of your throat, you'll sound like Bullwinkle the moose. Keep the sound hitting your hard palette, and you should notice an almost immediate difference. It will take time, but it's a lot easier than most people think. It just takes proper technique.

Now, for everybody on that list except for Paul Rodgers, you have to also work a lot on your falsetto. Honestly, I think Steven Tyler, Axl Rose, and Robert Plant have annoying voices. If you can make it less screechy, and more on the Bon Jovi side, then you'll be good. Once again, proper technique. Those three mentioned above all have horrible technique.
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Black Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 06:22 PM   #6
food1010
Bassist

A lot is about technique such as breath support and (believe it or not) diction.

First of all you're going to want to have strong breath support in your diaphragm. It's really not possible to sing well in any style without it.
The way you form your mouth has a lot of influence on projection and tone quality. You're going to go for dark round tones rather than bright suppressed tones. For example, when singing "oh," instead of sticking your neck out (literally, not figuratively) and tensing up your face, you're going to open up your throat but not necessarily your mouth. The wider you open your mouth, generally the thinner, weaker and brighter sound you will get.

Rate This Thread: