Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-04-2015, 09:52 AM   #1
mikeyb9m3bek
Mik

New amplifier, second guitarist advice

Hey, I am in a four piece rock cover band, and we are looking to buy a new amp for our rhythm guitarist, who is long overdue an upgrade.

I play a Stratoacaster through a Vox AC30cc2, and we are after something which complements this.

So far we have considered another Vox, the AC15c1, but since this is going to be a big investment, we want to get it right.

Can anyone offer advice who has had a similar situation? Perhaps a different make of amp altogether would be a better idea?

All we know for sure is that we want a tube amp, somewhere in the £400-£500 range.

Thanks!
mikeyb9m3bek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 10:14 AM   #2
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

What, specifically, is it that you cover? "Rock" is a bit overbroad.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:14 AM   #3
Will Lane
what's boutique

Do you like the tones you get through the AC30? Are you a fan of the Britty-rock sound or would you rather American jest with a Fender amp? Classic rock? Modern rock?

I would say that if you want your band to have a cohesive "sound", you'll generally want to stick to guitar sounds that have the same voicing. I've been in a "band" where my guitar and the other player's sounded completely different, and it was hindering now that I look back on it.

I haven't had much hands-on experience with AC's, But I want a 30 myself and I've been looking into them. IIRC the AC15 breaks up quicker than the AC30. You can still get clean tones out of it of course, but you might want to utilize that break up for crunchy rhythm tones, and the AC30's higher clean headroom for leads and/or a cohesive but different gain structure. Or possibly, you could switch the two and have higher-gain leads from the 15 and let the rhythm guitarist comp in the back with the 30. You two could definitely still end up with a very similar gain structure, however.

Also, the 30 has an effects loop, but the 15 doesn't.

Last edited by Will Lane : 05-04-2015 at 10:21 AM.
Will Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 11:17 AM   #4
mikeyb9m3bek
Mik

Yeah, to be more specific, we play mainly classic rock stuff, Cream, Bowie, Beatles, Stones etc.

I love the sound I get from my AC30, and I would like us to have a cohesive sound, so maybe the 15 is the best choice. I never actually considered that it would break up quicker though, that is interesting, but shouldn't be a problem. The lack of an effects loop shouldn't be a problem either.

The only thing I am worried about is muddying up the sound. We both have strats, and I don't know if putting them through similar sounding amps is a great idea. Though I am also thinking that proper use of pickups would ensure this wouldn't be a problem.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:31 AM   #5
Will Lane
what's boutique

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyb9m3bek
Yeah, to be more specific, we play mainly classic rock stuff, Cream, Bowie, Beatles, Stones etc.

I love the sound I get from my AC30, and I would like us to have a cohesive sound, so maybe the 15 is the best choice. I never actually considered that it would break up quicker though, that is interesting, but shouldn't be a problem. The lack of an effects loop shouldn't be a problem either.

The only thing I am worried about is muddying up the sound. We both have strats, and I don't know if putting them through similar sounding amps is a great idea. Though I am also thinking that proper use of pickups would ensure this wouldn't be a problem.
Ah, yeah. Another AC will do you good, then. In fact, the 15 might be a superb choice to try to get the power tubes to break up for an even moreso convincing vintage rock sound.

And you shouldn't have any problem with mud. Should be more or less as if a single guitarist records both rhythm and lead tracks. If you need to, just use a frequency boost in the upper mids if you need one guitar to cut through more.

Last edited by Will Lane : 05-04-2015 at 11:36 AM.
Will Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 12:18 PM   #6
mikeyb9m3bek
Mik

Thanks for your help, I think I am going to go with the AC15

Rate This Thread: