Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Metal
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-09-2013, 06:30 AM   #1
AnnihiSlateR
Hammerheart

Metal Radio: Dec 9th - Unleashed in the East (kind of)

After so many good mixes lately I decided I ought to up my game, and try and put something together with a bit of flow and continuity, so I came up with this.

It's very typical of the sort of black metal I'm into. It's quite long, though no longer than would fit on a standard red book CD, and I know it says 17 tracks, but I've put a lot of interludes in there that are only short, so don't worry too much about that, there's only 8 proper tracks, the rest is just aesthetic.

Hope you all like it.

Schedule:
December 16: rg_metal
December 23: Helloween4ever
December 30: dillonrips7
January 06: Kytokinesis
January 13: severed-metal
January 20: Kepulix
January 27: BL1NDSIDE-J
February 3: Emenius Sleepus
February 10: Annihislater

Last edited by AnnihiSlateR : 12-11-2013 at 05:26 AM.
AnnihiSlateR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:02 PM   #2
Kepulix
The Witchfinder

Listening to this now, will report back later. The swastika's a nice touch.

EDIT:
Alright, frankly I have a bit of mixed feelings about this. The Drudkh intro was nice and Khors started out very good, but unfortunately I felt that the track ended up lacking... direction. It's difficult to tell what each of the tracks were afterwards, because I'm unfamiliar with the Cyrillic alphabet. I think it was Славия that I liked the best alongside Ygg and Sonnenbrand. The folk interludes were nice, but I think you perhaps put too much stuff here, shorter and more concise mix would've held my attention better. I don't know what the last Dub Buk track was (I doubt it was an original composition of theirs?), but I loved it. Good concept though, and I'm sure fans of this kind of stuff will enjoy it.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Last edited by Kepulix : 12-09-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Kepulix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:19 AM   #3
AnnihiSlateR
Hammerheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kepulix
Listening to this now, will report back later. The swastika's a nice touch.

EDIT:
Alright, frankly I have a bit of mixed feelings about this. The Drudkh intro was nice and Khors started out very good, but unfortunately I felt that the track ended up lacking... direction. It's difficult to tell what each of the tracks were afterwards, because I'm unfamiliar with the Cyrillic alphabet. I think it was Славия that I liked the best alongside Ygg and Sonnenbrand. The folk interludes were nice, but I think you perhaps put too much stuff here, shorter and more concise mix would've held my attention better. I don't know what the last Dub Buk track was (I doubt it was an original composition of theirs?), but I loved it. Good concept though, and I'm sure fans of this kind of stuff will enjoy it.

I can appreciate those concerns. For the most part I've very much tried to encapsulate the 'Kharkiv sound' with most of them. So I guess if that's not a style you're massively into, it might feel that way.

Yeah, not sure about the last Dub Buk one being their own. Sounded more like a sort of traditional folk/military tune to me, which after the middle section of the Sonnenbrand track I thought felt like a fitting end.

But cheers for taking the time to listen, I appreciate it, especially being a long one.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:11 AM   #4
Emenius Sleepus
Blaze above the ashes

Can you guys put me on the schedule? I have another album to finish before this, but I'll write back later
lastFM
Emenius Sleepus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:26 AM   #5
AnnihiSlateR
Hammerheart

Consider it done.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:45 PM   #6
Emenius Sleepus
Blaze above the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnihiSlateR
Consider it done.

Haha it probably wouldn't surprise you if I said I knew most of the bands and songs on the list (though towards the end of the mix that wasn't as true). As far as the mix goes, it was enjoyable, to be sure - I have liked all of the bands featured previously, especially Navjarmaahr, Boris Bazurov and Веданъ Колодъ (roughly that translates as "The Sacred Tree"/Sacred Wood, if anyone's curious). However if I was to have my preferences, I would probably have picked different tracks from each artist, and taken out some of the folky passages - for my taste they serve better as atmospheric breaks or mood setters that are used sparingly, between larger sections of heavy music. Given the "marching" nature of a lot of the songs, their pace lends themselves more to a long sequence. The overall length didn't bother me, but as far as musical ideas presented go, a more concise mix would probably serve better, as Kep said already. Just some thoughts on the matter.
lastFM
Old 12-11-2013, 07:06 PM   #7
Kytokinesis
rose tint my world

Lotsa interludes sounds like my kinda mix. Been super busy but hopefully will have time to listen later tonight.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:08 PM   #8
AnnihiSlateR
Hammerheart

All fair comments.

For the folky tracks it was less quality more trying to find something less than two minutes. I suppose less interludes, but more time looking into the actual quality of the tracks might have been an idea.

As for the metal tracks I tried to have a sort of flow, I think most have a very distinct style, ie the 'Kharkiv style' reffered to before. Earlier drafts of my mix had early Khors, Astrofaes, Hate Forest etc, but decided to keep the metal tracks from 2010 onwards for more of a continuity in terms of production quality.
But I felt Khors to Sonnenbrand were probably the two most different in terms of sound, so put one each end and tried to gradually move from one to the other with the other tracks, but retaining a sense of similarity, so the riffing style, harmonies, drum beats, vocal phrasings, things like that were what I was looking at in creating a sort of continuity in sound.

Perhaps I over thought it haha.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:25 PM   #9
Emenius Sleepus
Blaze above the ashes

Hahah, all good! I definitely like the concept itself, and all of the tracks are good in their own right, - maybe there are some ideas for future mixes though
lastFM
Old 12-11-2013, 11:15 PM   #10
Kytokinesis
rose tint my world

I thought this was a fantastic mix. Definitely the "biggest" feeling mix since the radio reboot. All the interludes gave it a very conceptual feel. A metaphysical journey through a millennium of culture and tradition. Very epic indeed!

I'm going to have to try and top this in my mix

A lot of bands I like here also, including Khors, Drudkh, and Ygg. Nice mix!
Old 12-12-2013, 05:05 AM   #11
AnnihiSlateR
Hammerheart

Cheers for the kind words. I think that's what makes it worth it with these radio's, when someone else connects with something you've put together. Really glad you enjoyed it.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:13 PM   #12
Metal_Head1
MÖTÖR

Embarking... This is an area I'm pretty unfamiliar with.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:29 AM   #13
severed-metal
Kvlt of Fvkk

I don't know if I will be able to give it a full review due to me posting from my phone, but I'm posting now to remind myself to listen to this tomorrow. If I recall, there are quite a few acts (just from mentiom in this thread) that were on your previous lists, which can only mean a good thing. Or maybe it was one of Emenius' prior lists. One of you. I don't know which, but this list looks good.
Your gratitude shown in my death
severed-metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:48 PM   #14
Kepulix
The Witchfinder

Damn you, AnnihiSlateR. I already had an idea for my next radio mix, but this inspired me to compile one dedicated to my Finnish and Karelian blood.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Kepulix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 03:41 PM   #15
severed-metal
Kvlt of Fvkk

It was a good mix. Flowed nicely. Nothing really stood out for me, well, one track did but I honestly have no idea how to even type it out. C was the first letter I think, then there was a house type object and a bunch of other characters that were unknown to me.
Your gratitude shown in my death
severed-metal is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: