Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-19-2014, 09:58 AM   #1
UKMaster
Heavy Metal freak

Acoustic guitar under 500

I have been searching for an acoustic guitar for a while and have made a short list of the best ones I can find and I need some opinions on which is best.

I do not travel with my guitar a lot (only to school once a week at the moment) so size doesn't matter in that sense. I have never owned a good acoustic guitar before but I am in the middle of my A level music course and my guitar teacher keeps bugging me to get one and, now that I think about it I really want one. I play mostly fingerstyle and some picking but no strumming at all. I know I should really go to a guitar shop and try out loads of different ones but I am very busy at the moment and the nearest guitar shop is about a half an hour drive. So here is the short list I have made:

Taylor Big Baby (save a bit of money and sounds good)
Guild M-120
SIGMA 000R-28VS
Sigma DR-41
Sigma DR-28V
Taylor GS mini
Tanglewood TW-170

I know some of them are completely different to others but they all appeal to me. I was looking for a grand concert acoustic to start off with as I have never been comfortable with big dreadnaught guitars but I suppose I could get used to it if the quality is very good.

Anyway, thanks in advanced for any help!
Old 01-19-2014, 11:26 AM   #2
UKMaster
Heavy Metal freak

I am not interested in an electro acoustic at all either.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:53 AM   #3
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

i really like the GS mini, but if you like bright, the guild is a very nice guitar and it's all solid and nicely resonant. the big baby isn't shabby, either - it really comes down to your personal preference.
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:32 PM   #4
Garthman

Have a look at Crafter guitars - hard to beat on a quality v price basis. And they play and sound great too.

Here is a link to Sutherland trading who are the UK Crafter distributor (based in Caerphilly):

http://www.sutherlandtrading.com/br...oustic-guitars/
Garthman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:23 PM   #5
UKMaster
Heavy Metal freak

Thanks a lot! Ye I would like quite a bright sounding guitar that's why I was going to go with the spruce top GS mini. The guild is mahogany and from the videos I have seen has a slightly warmer sound. The crafter guitars look pretty good but the ones that caught my eye had pickups in which I'm not a fan of.

I'm hopefully going to a guitar shop tomorrow to try out some but if I don't then I'll have to decide on one!
Old 01-20-2014, 04:51 PM   #6
UKMaster
Heavy Metal freak

Also I am now willing to spend 600 as apparently that 100 will go a long way
Old 01-21-2014, 07:06 AM   #7
Garthman

My friend, the Crafter T035 is every bit as good as the Taylor 114 and costs 1/2 the price (IMHO I think it's actually better than the Taylor). 300 is a lot to pay for a name.

http://www.sutherlandtrading.com/products/t035-n/

PS. Less than 1/2 price: http://www.gak.co.uk/en/crafter-t-035/1394

Last edited by Garthman : 01-21-2014 at 07:07 AM.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:47 AM   #8
UKMaster
Heavy Metal freak

Does it have the same neck profiling as the taylor? I have played my guitar instructors taylor and the neck felt great and apparently the neck is very similar on most taylors
Old 01-21-2014, 11:27 AM   #9
UKMaster
Heavy Metal freak

Also what do you think of the higher end crafter models such as the Pegasus and Moonlight? Is it worth the extra investment?
Old 01-22-2014, 01:11 PM   #10
Garthman

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKMaster
Does it have the same neck profiling as the taylor? I have played my guitar instructors taylor and the neck felt great and apparently the neck is very similar on most taylors

Yes - they are remarkable similar (LOL) to Taylor guitars.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:21 PM   #11
Garthman

Quote:
Also what do you think of the higher end crafter models such as the Pegasus and Moonlight? Is it worth the extra investment?

I have yet to play a Crafter that wasn't good. Like all marques, the price goes up as the specification rises. Personally I think that the benefits of an all-solid guitar are often vastly overstated - the back and sides of a guitar contribute very little to its sound.

HST - some of the top end Crafter models are joyful things: the GLXE series are awesomely beautiful guitars that sound and play brilliantly. But then, all the Crafters I've played sound and play great - very similar in sound and playability to Taylor guitars.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:29 PM   #12
UKMaster
Heavy Metal freak

Unfortunately I can't afford the GLXE but I may think about getting the Moonlight model as it looks great and is still pretty cheap.

I am also now looking at the Yamaha LS16 which is just 20 more than the Moonlight and it seems like a really good guitar, and has the woods I was looking for and all solid. I'll have to think further about which guitar to get
Old 01-22-2014, 03:51 PM   #13
Garthman

Quote:
Unfortunately I can't afford the GLXE but I may think about getting the Moonlight model as it looks great and is still pretty cheap.

I am also now looking at the Yamaha LS16 which is just 20 more than the Moonlight and it seems like a really good guitar, and has the woods I was looking for and all solid. I'll have to think further about which guitar to get

They are both great guitars. But you should really try them out - and any other models you may fancy - before you buy. A trip to Swansea or Cardiff perhaps?
Old 01-22-2014, 04:02 PM   #14
UKMaster
Heavy Metal freak

Unfortunately I have just checked most of the websites and they only stock some Crafter guitars but not the model I was looking at and nowhere stock the Yamaha's. In fact no where anywhere near me seems to stock them. Most of the guitars that interest me most are not stocked anywhere near me so I will just have to buy online and rely on heavy research and opinions and videos of them!
Old 01-22-2014, 07:29 PM   #15
stepchildusmc

of the ones on your list..the GS mini hands down ! the tonal quality and the boom you get from that little/big body is amazing for the price. it's a smaller version of taylors awesome Grand Symphony body style. very sharp individual notes, great strummer. i wish they had the larger 1 3/4" nut instead of the 1 11/16" one but that really is a minor difference. i second Patti's suggestion of the Mohogany top one( i have one and a spruce one) it has a much warmer sound and more bass response than the spruce. of the spruce topped ones, it doesnt really matter which back and sides you get..rosewood,maple,koa etc.... they all have the same sound. after all, they're all the same laminate material with a different very thin veneer on top.
it stinks that you dont have a lot to choose from around you, i have the same problem so i understand. a good shop is a 2-3 hour drive away.(again patti...curse you and your 30 great shops...and that's just within walking distance of her closet !)
Old 01-22-2014, 08:25 PM   #16
UKMaster
Heavy Metal freak

That's the problem though as this will be my only acoustic guitar so I will use it a lot and there isn't a need, for me anyway, for a portable guitar. Also, with the nut being thinner wouldn't that have an impact on string spacing and therefore how easy finger picking is? I was set on the GS Mini but I didn't realise what else I could get for the same amount of money!
Old 01-22-2014, 08:49 PM   #17
stepchildusmc

i fingerpick(not well, im a crappy player) on my minis with very little noticable difference to my guitars with larger nuts/string spacing. there is a difference but it's so minute i dont pay attention to it. 1/16th of an inch? not much of a difference. of all my guitars, they are probably even in the 2 nut widths. i dont notice when i go from a 616ce to an Adamas 2080.
but as always... your results may vary.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:53 PM   #18
UKMaster
Heavy Metal freak

Thanks a lot,

As I said the mini was my first choice but mainly because I saw the name and the price. I then saw a few videos on YouTube and it did sound really good but so do the other guitars I have in my budget!

I just don't know what to do! No guitar shops near me have any of the guitars I am interested in so I just have to base my search on videos of how to the guitar sounds, although there are some quite reliable demo's!
Old 01-23-2014, 07:09 PM   #19
UKMaster
Heavy Metal freak

Hmm tempted to go back to the mini now! Just been reading more about it and some more videos and it seems like a really good guitar! The short list now is:

Yamaha LS16
Taylor GS Mini
Crafter T035 (If I want to save a bit of money)
Taylor 214e

Also, you said you played the 616ce and, I know this is a really stupid question, but how does the GS mini Mahogany compare (The Mahogany is the one I have decided to get if I get one)?! Obviously the 616ce is much much better being much more expensive with better woods, build quality etc. but is it anywhere near comparable?!

Last edited by UKMaster : 01-23-2014 at 08:45 PM.
UKMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: