Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-09-2015, 07:56 PM   #1
Sat-Chit-Ananda

Beginner guitar?

Hello, I am new to the forum. I was wondering if anyone had any input on this guitar, the yamaha FG720S? Is it a good guitar to start off with? It seems to be a several years old. I know there is a 30S, and it's only $20 more, but I like the black color the 20S comes in? Or, does anyone want to chime in with other suggestions of guitars that may be better in the same price range? Thanks for any and all responses.
Sat-Chit-Ananda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:26 PM   #2
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sat-Chit-Ananda
Hello, I am new to the forum. I was wondering if anyone had any input on this guitar, the yamaha FG720S? Is it a good guitar to start off with? It seems to be a several years old. I know there is a 30S, and it's only $20 more, but I like the black color the 20S comes in? Or, does anyone want to chime in with other suggestions of guitars that may be better in the same price range? Thanks for any and all responses.
The consensus around here is, all of the FG line of Yamahas, are fine places to start learning to play. I wouldn't lose any sleep at not going for the step up FG-730. It probably has a slightly 'better' sound, but it's anybody's guess if you'd actually be able to appreciate the subtlety of the difference. If you have access two both guitars, by all means play them, and see what you think. But remember, you would have to play them both in exactly the same location. You can't play one here, and the go 20 miles over there and play the other, and still make a valid judgement.

A-B comparison of guitars is tricky business at the very least. The difference of a half hour's playing time on the same exact set of strings can make an audible difference on the sound of two identical guitars. (Not that there is even such a thing as,"two identical guitars).

IMHO, the aesthetics of a guitar are an important part of motivating someone to play it.

As to this individual case, Yamahas are all considered to be close to the best bang for the buck, sound wise, in their price class.

I like jet black acoustics myself. If you think that having one that color appeals to you visually, you might find yourself more drawn toward playing it. This as opposed to a color you don't like, with which practice might seem like a bit of drudgery.

So, for a newcomer, there likely isn't enough sonic difference between the 720 & 730 to matter substantially,. So, buy the one you like, and play the crap out of it.

Last edited by Captaincranky : 02-09-2015 at 08:34 PM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:07 PM   #3
Domguy99
Power/Symphonic Metaller

You do not simply find a guitar. The guitar finds you.
Yamaha FG700S (Acoustic)
Peavey Vypyr
Fender Mustang I
Domguy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:04 AM   #4
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domguy99
You do not simply find a guitar. The guitar finds you.

Would it be possible for us to remain in the physical world, and save the mysticism for the chat thread?

Besides, unless guitars have suddenly grown legs, or can hail cabs, you have to find them, before they can find you.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 02:09 AM   #5
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

the FG720S is a very nice guitar to learn on or for a more experienced player on a budget.
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:54 AM   #6
GuitarL91

It's subjective anyway! Choosing a guitar that looks good to you can be very useful, certainly in the beginnings. If the guitar makes you want to play it that helps a lot! I still suggest to go to a music shop and take a look at some guitars. If you can't play yet, ask someone els to play it and focus on what sound you like better. Also grab the guitar and experience the feel of the guitar. Then just choose the one that seems best to you!

Also worth considering: Faith, Lag (I have one, great bang for the buck), Sigma, Vintage

My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Lennartguitar
GuitarL91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:20 PM   #7
rohash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincranky
The consensus around here is, all of the FG line of Yamahas, are fine places to start learning to play. I wouldn't lose any sleep at not going for the step up FG-730. It probably has a slightly 'better' sound, but it's anybody's guess if you'd actually be able to appreciate the subtlety of the difference. If you have access two both guitars, by all means play them, and see what you think. But remember, you would have to play them both in exactly the same location. You can't play one here, and the go 20 miles over there and play the other, and still make a valid judgement.

A-B comparison of guitars is tricky business at the very least. The difference of a half hour's playing time on the same exact set of strings can make an audible difference on the sound of two identical guitars. (Not that there is even such a thing as,"two identical guitars).

IMHO, the aesthetics of a guitar are an important part of motivating someone to play it.

As to this individual case, Yamahas are all considered to be close to the best bang for the buck, sound wise, in their price class.

I like jet black acoustics myself. If you think that having one that color appeals to you visually, you might find yourself more drawn toward playing it. This as opposed to a color you don't like, with which practice might seem like a bit of drudgery.

So, for a newcomer, there likely isn't enough sonic difference between the 720 & 730 to matter substantially,. So, buy the one you like, and play the crap out of it.

Playing one here and playing one there is still very useful because you can feel which one is more comfortable to play and that's the most important thing for a beginner guitar, more so than a slight difference in sound. The set-ups may be different. Who knows though if the TS is looking locally or on-line?
rohash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:39 PM   #8
Tony Done

I doubt you will find anyone in this forum arguing against those two guitars. But put some money aside for set up. That, IMO is the best investment a beginner can make. Small differences in set up are common and can make a big difference to how a guitar feels - so be aware of this when judging guitars for feel.
Tony Done is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: