Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-25-2015, 12:02 PM   #1
AbsorbedPit

My new twelve string is missing a fret

I just bought a new guitar, and I am missing a fret (11th). Any tips on what to do now?
AbsorbedPit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 12:15 PM   #2
Dreadnought
World Ender

Take it back.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:35 PM   #3
AbsorbedPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought
Take it back.

unfortunately not a possibility
Old 05-25-2015, 01:29 PM   #4
Dreadnought
World Ender

Why not? We need to know more to help you out

Your other option is to take it to a tech/luthier and have them fix it.
Old 05-25-2015, 03:26 PM   #5
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsorbedPit
unfortunately not a possibility
Wut?

I think it would be best if you share a bit more of the back story with us.

If you can locate the correct size fret wire, you might simply press it in. "Unfortunately, (to pinch an adverb), you're not quite done after you install the fret. It would have to be leveled, which requires a tool called a "fret rocker".
plus you have to make inserts for any clamp you use in the shape of the neck, top and bottom, to avoid denting up the neck.

Why don't you search for a tutorial on YouTube. Then, link it in your next post so we can give it the, "yea or nay", for its value and correctness.

If you feel the procedure is beyond your comfort zone with handyman type stuff, as Dreadnought say, it'll have to go to the shop.

Last edited by Captaincranky : 05-25-2015 at 03:29 PM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 03:49 PM   #6
Bikewer

Like the guys say....More detail. Is the slot there? Is there any chipping or splintering as if the existing fret was yanked out?
It's not a big deal to install a fret at a shop, they will have a selection of fret wire, the tools for cutting the ends properly, and as Cranky points out, leveling the fret.
If the old fret was improperly removed, the shop can obtain fret wire with an oversize "shank" so that it will seat firmly in the damaged slot.
Take it to a technician and get an estimate.
Bikewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:42 PM   #7
the_bi99man

You got screwed if you bought a guitar missing a fret from any source where returning it isn't an option. You can get a fret and fix it, but don't ever buy a guitar like that again.
Basses n shit...
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
GK 400RB w/Ampeg 4x10 Cab, EH Q-Tron+ w/Bass Big Muff in loop
the_bi99man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 04:41 AM   #8
AbsorbedPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bi99man
You got screwed if you bought a guitar missing a fret from any source where returning it isn't an option. You can get a fret and fix it, but don't ever buy a guitar like that again.

I know. But it was super cheap.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:42 AM   #9
AbsorbedPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought
Why not? We need to know more to help you out

Your other option is to take it to a tech/luthier and have them fix it.

that is probably what I'm going to do.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:45 AM   #10
AbsorbedPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikewer
Like the guys say....More detail. Is the slot there? Is there any chipping or splintering as if the existing fret was yanked out?
It's not a big deal to install a fret at a shop, they will have a selection of fret wire, the tools for cutting the ends properly, and as Cranky points out, leveling the fret.
If the old fret was improperly removed, the shop can obtain fret wire with an oversize "shank" so that it will seat firmly in the damaged slot.
Take it to a technician and get an estimate.

The slot is there, but it seems as if it just have fallen out at some point. I'm probably just going to leave to a shop to fix it.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:36 PM   #11
the_bi99man

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsorbedPit
I know. But it was super cheap.

Was the guitar advertised as "not functional, needs repairs" before you bought it? Or were you under the impression that you were getting a working instrument? If the seller was open about the condition, and you knew before buying it that it would need to be fixed, then that's cool. If you can get it fixed without spending too much, and it turns out to be a nice guitar, good find. If, on the other hand, the seller claimed that it was in fine condition, and working properly, then he's a moron at best, or a scumbag shyster at worst, and I would still be furious about getting ripped off if I had paid any more than the price of a chicken sandwich. Especially if it came from a store, rather than some random dude on craigslist or something. But that's just me. I despise such absurd levels of incompetence, especially when the job being done is not difficult.
Basses n shit...
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
GK 400RB w/Ampeg 4x10 Cab, EH Q-Tron+ w/Bass Big Muff in loop
the_bi99man is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: