Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-13-2015, 02:53 PM   #1
mohic

New to guitar: Please help

Hey there.

I finally caved in and bought an acoustic guitar; she's beautiful, by the way. I'm struggling to get the strumming pattern down. I managed to play the song, Mad world (albeit poorly), probably because it's a beginner friendly song and generally slow-paced. I know a few chords but I'm slow when it comes to changing chords-but my main problem is strumming patterns. I can do basic strumming (down up down up .), but when syncing it to songs, things sound disjointed.

I really want to play this song: http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/p/prince/when_doves_cry_ver3_crd.htm

according to this, the verse can be played by only utilizing two chords? That's awesome, but I'm having difficulties x_x

Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers.

Jonathan Swift

Last edited by mohic : 01-13-2015 at 02:55 PM.
mohic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 03:32 PM   #2
derek8520

Assuming you're fretting chords properly with every string ringing out, practice your strumming by counting 1, 2, 3, 4 and strumming down on every 1. Once you have that, strum down on every 1 and 2. Work up to one down strum per beat. When that is easy for you do it with up strokes. Then eventually merge the two together however you want.
derek8520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 08:39 PM   #3
DylanHendrix
Acid King

Google "justinguitar" and follow the link to the site (most)everything is free. It's one of the best guitar teaching methods for ppl who are just starting out. He has lessons and practice tips on strumming patterns and chord changes, keeping time, etc. Really useful resource.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:07 AM   #4
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohic
Hey there.

I finally caved in and bought an acoustic guitar; she's beautiful, by the way. I'm struggling to get the strumming pattern down. I managed to play the song, Mad world (albeit poorly), probably because it's a beginner friendly song and generally slow-paced. I know a few chords but I'm slow when it comes to changing chords-but my main problem is strumming patterns. I can do basic strumming (down up down up .), but when syncing it to songs, things sound disjointed.

I really want to play this song: http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/p/p...ry_ver3_crd.htm

according to this, the verse can be played by only utilizing two chords? That's awesome, but I'm having difficulties x_x

News flash here, "The Artist Formerly Known as Prince", can play the shit out of a guitar.

Good rhythm guitar is 50% mimicry, and 50% personal style.

This always comes up when beginners ask, "what's the strumming pattern to this song". I always answer, "how the heck should I know? Just imitate what you hear".

A lot of rhythms are syncopated, even played across the space of more than one measure.

This is why a simple, on the count, 1, 2, 3, & 4, oftentimes, doesn't work. Because the count isn't when the stroke happens, it's ahead of the beat, now it's behind it. Listen to The Who, "Pinball Wizard". Trying to get that song's message across by strumming in time with the beat, would be virtually unrecognizable and quite pointless.

There are innumerable old songs where the rhythm is actually the lead guitar. It's also prominent in the mix. FWIW, I always advise noobs to work on stuff like, "I Fought the Law", to develop their rhythm chops.

If you're just learning to change chords, don't get discouraged, spend some time with strong, easily identifiable rhythm parts, trying to duplicate them. I will come with practice. In fact, it's a lot easier these days, since there are so many tabs published. You don't have to go through picking out the chords by ear, before you can even try to play along.

The moral of the story
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:10 AM   #5
21sthost

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohic
Hey there.

I really want to play this song: http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/p/p...ry_ver3_crd.htm

Bro, are you comfortable with fingering over the fretboard?

Daily do the practice of shifting between the chords.Don't get disappointed, with practice you will get there.
21sthost is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: