Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-27-2014, 03:03 PM   #1
BassBen93

Teaching kids acoustic?

I've been asked to just show my cousin who is 5 the basics but I don't know what to show what sort of stuff would you suggest. She got a guitar for Xmas and is strumming randomly and making up songs and singing but I wouldn't know where to start. I'm not a perfect guitarist by any means but could give it a go. Is it a case of twinkle twinkle little star?

I'm thinking 5 is to young for teaching.
BassBen93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 03:23 PM   #2
MarcusHmusic

Sounds like it would be frustrating

Normally i'd say basic open chords, but that's not going to keep her attention. Easy melodies she'll recognize would be your bets bet like you suggested.
MarcusHmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 04:04 PM   #3
BassBen93

What else is easy ish like twinkle twinkle could do seven nation army ok 1 strings and smoke on the water.

And if she still has interest in a few Months try easy chords maybe E Em and aM
BassBen93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 06:01 PM   #4
shwilly
Strictly Controversial

Open tunings can be really fun when you're first starting out. I remember going absolutely apeshit when my brother first tuned my guitar to open A and handed me a slide. Even though I sucked balls at the time this setup made it a lot easier for me to produce something hat vaguely resembled music and it sure as hell sparked my interest in the instrument

NL
5 - 1 Spain
NL
3 - 2 Australia
NL
2 - 0 Chile
NL
2 - 1 Mexico
NL
0 - 0 Costa Rica (4-3)
NL
0 - 0 Argentina (2-4)
NL 3 - 0 7-1zɐɹq

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
shwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 06:33 PM   #5
mind_meld

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwilly
Open tunings can be really fun when you're first starting out. I remember going absolutely apeshit when my brother first tuned my guitar to open A and handed me a slide. Even though I sucked balls at the time this setup made it a lot easier for me to produce something hat vaguely resembled music and it sure as hell sparked my interest in the instrument

...She's five. Then again open tuning might make it easier for everyone else to bear!

Yeah, ode to joy, twinkle little star, ba ba black sheep (pretty much the same thing), mary had a little lamb etc whatever she likes (I presume she's not into anything like the Chilli Peppers or Hendrix). I reckon she's a bit young, probably keyboard would be a better first instrument but what do I know.

Also "easyish": eye of the tiger, smells like teen spirit, star wars theme, hmmm these might be for a few years down the track.
mind_meld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:02 AM   #6
Jimjambanx

I'd say just show her nursery rhymes and whatnot. But TBH at 5 years old I doubt anything will be able to keep her attention on it for long, though she'll probably come back to it at some point. If she does like it however, then very simple chords will keep her busy. I wish the best to your patience and sanity.
Jimjambanx is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: