Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-04-2015, 08:01 PM   #1
lalopunk
Banned

How can he play so fast fingerpicking?

I don't know what is called, but is when you play the first string many times, very fast, listen to the video

the rest is not that hard, but I cannot play that picking on the same string, is almost impossible to play at that speed, my fingers can't move that fast, how does it do it

only way to simulate it is with a pick

Last edited by lalopunk : 02-04-2015 at 08:02 PM.
lalopunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 03:38 AM   #2
the_bi99man

Just practice. Doesn't look to me like he's using any particularly crazy technique or anything. Just some typical classical fingerstyle, although it is quite fast. I sure as shit couldn't do that. But I don't really play that style.

Just practice and practice. And I'm sure the fingernails help. Even if you can get up to that speed, it probably won't sound crisp like that without using your nails, or some finger picks.
the_bi99man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 06:34 AM   #3
lalopunk
Banned

is just the picking of one string, he is using 3 fingers to pick one string

longer fingernails help, i can play that a little faster, but nowhere near that speed

Last edited by lalopunk : 02-05-2015 at 06:37 AM.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:55 AM   #4
legion501stup

It's finger picking with 3 fingers or even you can use 4 (the pinky). I see a guy do that and it's really hard, there's a lot of practicing behind that, but do that make the impression of hit a lot of notes really fast, but it's only the same note hit several times, and if you change de notes, the chord or whatever you're doing, looks like that. And like the_bi99man says, you really need fingernails. Your'e from Mexico right?
legion501stup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:06 AM   #5
fingrpikingood

You need at least some fingernails, the right technique, and some practice. You could practice all day everyday with the wrong technique, and never be able to do it. It took me a while to figure that out. If you want to be able to learn this quickly, you need someone to show you what to practice. Otherwise you'll have to figure it out on your own, which is not too easy, because you will have to find out whether you can't do it for lack of practice, or for lack of technique.

Your nails dont have to be that long though. I keep mine long enough to pick better, but short enough to tap and play piano. And I keep both hands the same. It might be a bit easier with longer nails.

I've experiment with 4 fingers for stuff like that, but don't find it particularly advantageous. I use my pinky all the time for picking in certain situations, but not for speed runs or that type of thing.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:55 PM   #6
reverb66

As mentioned above, it's a technique using three fingers to hit the same string.

If you want to see fast, check out Paco Delucia - he is the fastest fingerstyle player in history - you can get there too if you start practicing 15 hours a day from the age of 4!
reverb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 04:26 PM   #7
fingrpikingood

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverb66
you can get there too if you start practicing 15 hours a day from the age of 4!

I suspect this is just a little bit of an exageration.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:59 PM   #8
rohash

I suspect you're looking for a more in depth answer than "he is really good". All you can do is practice and become the best you can be. If you can get to this level... GREAT but some of it is natural God-given talent. I know my abilities are limited and I'm happy just to be able to play some easy-intermediate chord strumming songs. It's actually what I enjoy the most too. I do challenge myself to get better but spending countless hours trying to learn solos and fingerpicking techniques gets frustrating to me and sucks the fun out of it. I'm perfectly happy just to play what I can play and appreciate those that are good enough to play the more complicated stuff. I do practice a lot trying to get better though.
rohash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 05:33 PM   #9
lalopunk
Banned

already knew it was 3 fingers per one string, i'm no noob lol

I wanted to know HOW to practice this the most productive way, it seems like the technique is very similar to bass playing, the technique itself doesn't seem hard to master, but is the practice to gain that speed to make it sound smooth, fast and flawless like that

you could practice it for years, and barely even come close to that

people say just practice, which is common sense, I want to know how to practice to play it at that speed, how using what, how much, etc

it seems the only option if you want to play classical guitar well, is to go to a freaking music school and pay the big bucks from young age, otherwise, you're screwed, and you won't advanced much

classical guitar is one of the most difficult ones

it probably took me him DECADES to reach that speed on one string, and several strings like when you play with a pick

Last edited by lalopunk : 02-05-2015 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:41 PM   #10
lalopunk
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohash
I suspect you're looking for a more in depth answer than "he is really good". All you can do is practice and become the best you can be. If you can get to this level... GREAT but some of it is natural God-given talent. I know my abilities are limited and I'm happy just to be able to play some easy-intermediate chord strumming songs. It's actually what I enjoy the most too. I do challenge myself to get better but spending countless hours trying to learn solos and fingerpicking techniques gets frustrating to me and sucks the fun out of it. I'm perfectly happy just to play what I can play and appreciate those that are good enough to play the more complicated stuff. I do practice a lot trying to get better though.

I have been playing for 8 years now, and I know more than anyone that practice is not everything, talent is very important, especially when it comes to advanced and virtuoso level

My fingerpicking/classical technique is ok, I can play some fingerpicking tunes, for example I can play this with ease, but the difficulty of this tune, doesn't even come close to the one I posted above, is night and day

Old 02-05-2015, 06:07 PM   #11
Tony Done

I believe in talent, but a lot of that is IMO sheer hard work and having a good teacher to drive you hard.
Tony Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 06:12 PM   #12
lalopunk
Banned

this is how is played

the thumb plays the bass note

and on the first string, you have to pick 3 times

first - ring finger
second - middle
third - first finger

this is the fastest and most economical way to play that fast picking

the parts where he plays 4 notes per string, same note, he does this

- ring finger
- middle finger
- index finger
- index finger

Index finger is used twice to play the third and fourth note

the position of the hands is simple to master

is all about years of practice to speed up those 3 fingers
Old 02-05-2015, 06:18 PM   #13
NougatOfficial

IMHO talent is not important. Yes some people can pick up on things faster than others but that doesn't mean you could never learn whatever it is they did. Will it take you more time than it took them? Yeah but if you are willing to put in the work for it and/or have a guitar teacher (like Tony Done said above) you can learn the technique. The reason a teacher is helpful is because they notice things such as a bad habit faster than you would on your on thus saving you time of having to correct it and letting you continue to progress.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:32 PM   #14
lalopunk
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NougatOfficial
IMHO talent is not important. Yes some people can pick up on things faster than others but that doesn't mean you could never learn whatever it is they did. Will it take you more time than it took them? Yeah but if you are willing to put in the work for it and/or have a guitar teacher (like Tony Done said above) you can learn the technique. The reason a teacher is helpful is because they notice things such as a bad habit faster than you would on your on thus saving you time of having to correct it and letting you continue to progress.

if it was that simple, then everyone could play like the guy in the video, or all those famous classical/acoustic guitar players people look up to, and is just not the case

talent is not important in the beginner and intermediate level, in other words, anyone with just enough practice can play guitar decently

but is everything in the very advanced level

it separates the virtuosos from the average joes

all you can do, is practice, do your best, hope for the best, and be content with what you achieve

you may never be as amazing as those classical guitar players people admire, but such is life, not everyone was meant to be great at everything

if everyone could play amazingly with just practice, then the guitar itself would lose its appeal, every kids out there, would be playing amazingly, and it would nothing impressive anymore

Last edited by lalopunk : 02-05-2015 at 06:37 PM.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:47 PM   #15
NougatOfficial

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalopunk
if it was that simple, then everyone could play like the guy in the video, or all those famous classical/acoustic guitar players people look up to, and is just not the case

talent is not important in the beginner and intermediate level, in other words, anyone with just enough practice can play guitar decently

all you can do, is practice, do your best, hope for the best, and be content with what you achieve

you may never be as amazing as those classical guitar players people admire, but such is life, not everyone was meant to be great at everything

if everyone could play amazingly with just practice, then the guitar itself would lose its appeal, every kids out there, would be playing amazingly, and it would nothing impressive anymore

As I said it takes time. Time that not everyone would want to put to practicing guitar which is why they will not be as amazing as other players who do put the time in.

Also I realize the time it could take can be ridiculously long but that doesn't mean it is impossible.

Last edited by NougatOfficial : 02-05-2015 at 06:51 PM.
NougatOfficial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:55 PM   #16
the_bi99man

Quote:

I disagree completely. Practice really is everything. Anyone could play like that with enough practice. The reason that you don't see every guitarist in the world shredding like a virtuoso is that many of them aren't interested in getting that technical, and most of them aren't willing to put in the amount of practice it really takes. It's not because only a select few have the innate ability to get to that level (although some certainly do have some innate ability that makes it easier). With enough practice, anybody who's not suffering from some kind of disability that would inhibit their playing could play like that. It's just that not everybody even wants to be at that level, and even fewer are actually willing (or able) to practice enough.

Last edited by the_bi99man : 02-05-2015 at 07:57 PM.
the_bi99man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:24 PM   #17
lalopunk
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bi99man
I disagree completely. Practice really is everything. Anyone could play like that with enough practice. The reason that you don't see every guitarist in the world shredding like a virtuoso is that many of them aren't interested in getting that technical, and most of them aren't willing to put in the amount of practice it really takes. It's not because only a select few have the innate ability to get to that level (although some certainly do have some innate ability that makes it easier). With enough practice, anybody who's not suffering from some kind of disability that would inhibit their playing could play like that. It's just that not everybody even wants to be at that level, and even fewer are actually willing (or able) to practice enough.

sounds more like a coping mechanism
Old 02-05-2015, 08:31 PM   #18
Paleo Pete

Talent is what separates guitar players from musicians.

I've known loads of guitar players, and can drop names you'd recognize all day long. I've known very few musicians, but most of the names you and I know from listening to the radio or whatever for the past 50 years (at least in my case) are musicians, not just guitar players.

Paul McCartney is not known as a great guitar player, but can definitely play some very good guitar...he also plays bass, piano, several horns, drums...that's a talented musician. Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull has recorded several Tull songs by himself (McCartney did the same). Flute, keyboards, guitar, bass, drums, and I'm not sure what other horns. Musician. Roy Clark can play guitar, "fiddle" ( I hate that, it's a violin dammit), banjo, piano, bass and I'm not sure what else, and plays them all very well. That's not all just practice...it's talent.

Talent is how I learned to play everything in the high school band room, still play guitar, bass, drums, a little keyboards, sax and a little flute. That's not just practice alone, it's talent. I also sing lead and harmony, write a little now and then. Talent is also how I was able to play fill in gigs for a living for 4 years. Meet the band and I'm onstage with them 30 minutes later, no idea what they might play, what key they will play it in, nothing...practice won't do that for you.

As far as playing whatever is in any song you want to learn, if you're willing to put in the practice, it can be learned. But it will be doing it by mere repetition. Slow it down, learn it a little at a time, and you'll get there. But to be a true master guitarist, gotta have talent.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:57 PM   #19
NougatOfficial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleo Pete
Talent is what separates guitar players from musicians.

I've known loads of guitar players, and can drop names you'd recognize all day long. I've known very few musicians, but most of the names you and I know from listening to the radio or whatever for the past 50 years (at least in my case) are musicians, not just guitar players.

Paul McCartney is not known as a great guitar player, but can definitely play some very good guitar...he also plays bass, piano, several horns, drums...that's a talented musician. Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull has recorded several Tull songs by himself (McCartney did the same). Flute, keyboards, guitar, bass, drums, and I'm not sure what other horns. Musician. Roy Clark can play guitar, "fiddle" ( I hate that, it's a violin dammit), banjo, piano, bass and I'm not sure what else, and plays them all very well. That's not all just practice...it's talent.

Talent is how I learned to play everything in the high school band room, still play guitar, bass, drums, a little keyboards, sax and a little flute. That's not just practice alone, it's talent. I also sing lead and harmony, write a little now and then. Talent is also how I was able to play fill in gigs for a living for 4 years. Meet the band and I'm onstage with them 30 minutes later, no idea what they might play, what key they will play it in, nothing...practice won't do that for you.

As far as playing whatever is in any song you want to learn, if you're willing to put in the practice, it can be learned. But it will be doing it by mere repetition. Slow it down, learn it a little at a time, and you'll get there. But to be a true master guitarist, gotta have talent.

The gist I get from all of this is that you and other musicians can pick things up faster than others. Which by no way means that someone else can't get to your level it will just take them longer. Also practice can definitely help to improvise its not just either you can do it or ya can't.

That whole talent=musician in my opinion is completely false. I am willing to bet you can find someone who in your opinion was a musician who actually practiced and studied a ton.

Last edited by NougatOfficial : 02-05-2015 at 09:00 PM.
NougatOfficial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:02 PM   #20
NougatOfficial

Quote:
sounds more like a coping mechanism

Although your way is also a coping mechanism in itself no? That person has talent which I will never have so I might as well give up because there is no way I could be that good.

Rate This Thread: