Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-27-2015, 04:01 AM   #1
alfonso.aquino.1996

Question help in buying a new guitar

hi, I wanted to know opinions about the acoustic guitar lindo org-sl especially this:
https://lindoguitars.com/acoustic-g...ar-with-eq.html

or ibanez aeg10II:
http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/ag...d=32&color=CL01

or yamaha fx370C:
http://it.yamaha.com/it/products/mu...70c/?mode=model

or epiphone aj220sce:
http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Ac.../AJ-220SCE.aspx

please help me
I apologize if my English

Last edited by alfonso.aquino.1996 : 06-27-2015 at 04:38 AM.
alfonso.aquino.1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 04:35 AM   #2
Jimjambanx

While your price range is pretty low, I think you can get a better guitar for you budget. The top isn't solid, and while there aren't many solid top guitars in that price bracket there are some if you look around, even if you have to look used. Also, I can't imagine basswood being a good back and side wood, such a tonally neutral wood won't work too well for an acoustic guitar IMO. Listening to some videos of the guitar, it sounds really thin, even for a slim body, almost no depth to the sound. If you explain what kind of guitar you're looking for and what your budget is, I'm sure some of the guys in this forum will be able to find something a bit nicer.
Jimjambanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 04:44 AM   #3
alfonso.aquino.1996

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjambanx
While your price range is pretty low, I think you can get a better guitar for you budget. The top isn't solid, and while there aren't many solid top guitars in that price bracket there are some if you look around, even if you have to look used. Also, I can't imagine basswood being a good back and side wood, such a tonally neutral wood won't work too well for an acoustic guitar IMO. Listening to some videos of the guitar, it sounds really thin, even for a slim body, almost no depth to the sound. If you explain what kind of guitar you're looking for and what your budget is, I'm sure some of the guys in this forum will be able to find something a bit nicer.

hi! I am bound by a discount of 250 on amazon and I want to spend it to buy an acoustic guitar that's my only constraint is amazon and his few guitars.
I added to the guitars unique brand purchased with the voucher
alfonso.aquino.1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 08:39 AM   #4
Jimjambanx

Fair enough then, your best bet is to try and find a guitar with a solid top (can be solid spruce/cedar/mohagany etc.). Really in your price bracket, a solid top is the gold standard, it may be difficult finding one on amazon but you might get lucky.
Old 06-27-2015, 04:26 PM   #5
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

can you swing a yamaha FG700?
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 05:29 PM   #6
Dreadnought
World Ender

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake
can you swing a yamaha FG700?

I was wondering when this post was going to come about

Starlight High Tide

Hawaiian Skies (cover)
Dreadnought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 11:29 PM   #7
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjambanx
How is an Epiphone AJ-220-SCE not a solid top? http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...Search+Ad+Group

Anybody want to field this question? The TS had a solid top in his list already. 'Jus sayin'.

Last edited by Captaincranky : 06-27-2015 at 11:48 PM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 11:45 PM   #8
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfonso.aquino.1996
hi, I wanted to know opinions about the acoustic guitar
The only guitar in your list that's worth considering is the Epiphone AJ-220-SCE. It has a solid sitka spruce top. It's one of their most popular/best selling models.

The other 3 are practically worthless, particularly the Ibanez AEG, and the " Lindo". (Which means "pretty", or, "attractive" in Spanish. (If you didn't already know that).

Last edited by Captaincranky : 06-27-2015 at 11:47 PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:29 AM   #9
stkhoo

Hi

From what I have read so far, you are going to purchase off the internet? I strongly feel that before doing so, you should go to the store and have a feel of the guitar or guitars that you have listed. Feel how the guitar fits you as feeling as comfortable as you can while holding a guitar is so critical. Check your strumming shoulders. personally I think its a not a good idea to have the shoulder parallel or worst pointing into the air.

Learn to hold down a simple chord like C and are you comfortable with the action height? are your fingers muting other strings no matter how you adjust your finger tips? Give it a strum, do you like the tone? A solid top I agree is very important.

Guitar is a very personal thing. Its like marrying a wife. I will avoid buying from the internet as you cannot try them (please don't get the wrong idea when I mean try them...LOL). Even when you are buying the same model, each guitar has its own character and I will try a few of them before actually zooming in on one.

Buying off the internet means no one is going to setup or intone the guitar for you unless you know how to do that yourself. If you have to bring it to a shop, they may or will charge you for setting it up. The strings may come dead or rusted...then its cost again for you to get new strings.

I understand that you have a budget of 250 euros? if putting in another 50 euros to get a better guitar, It may be better. Don't force yourself to purchase a 250 euro guitar just to find out later that you don't like it. Your outlay lost if you have bought a 300 euro guitar then is 50 euros is much better than realising that you don't like it and have to purchase another guitar. Your lost then is 250 euros plus the new guitar.

its just my opinion...

Last edited by stkhoo : 06-28-2015 at 01:53 AM.
stkhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 04:42 AM   #10
Jimjambanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincranky
How is an Epiphone AJ-220-SCE not a solid top? http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...Search+Ad+Group

Anybody want to field this question? The TS had a solid top in his list already. 'Jus sayin'.

He edited his OP, originally he was only asking about the Lindo, which isn't a solid top.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:06 AM   #11
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by stkhoo
Hi

From what I have read so far, you are going to purchase off the internet? I strongly feel that before doing so, you should go to the store and have a feel of the guitar or guitars that you have listed. Feel how the guitar fits you as feeling as comfortable as you can while holding a guitar is so critical. Check your strumming shoulders. personally I think its a not a good idea to have the shoulder parallel or worst pointing into the air.

Learn to hold down a simple chord like C and are you comfortable with the action height? are your fingers muting other strings no matter how you adjust your finger tips? Give it a strum, do you like the tone? A solid top I agree is very important.

Guitar is a very personal thing. Its like marrying a wife. I will avoid buying from the internet as you cannot try them (please don't get the wrong idea when I mean try them...LOL). Even when you are buying the same model, each guitar has its own character and I will try a few of them before actually zooming in on one.

Buying off the internet means no one is going to setup or intone the guitar for you unless you know how to do that yourself. If you have to bring it to a shop, they may or will charge you for setting it up. The strings may come dead or rusted...then its cost again for you to get new strings.

I understand that you have a budget of 250 euros? if putting in another 50 euros to get a better guitar, It may be better. Don't force yourself to purchase a 250 euro guitar just to find out later that you don't like it. Your outlay lost if you have bought a 300 euro guitar then is 50 euros is much better than realising that you don't like it and have to purchase another guitar. Your lost then is 250 euros plus the new guitar.

its just my opinion...
OK, this is really all well intentioned, but so far from practical for a noob, it's not even funny.

First of all, you should be able to get the Yamaha FG-700 for under 230 Euros. (I hope, as that was/is the price of the "Lindo". They're $200.00 MAP here). The Epiphone AJ-220-SCE is another decent choice

As to running around playing 10 of the same guitar, what's the point? Can you remember what one of the same model sounds like after trying 9 others? Half the time, the difference is in the wear status of the strings. You might think one of the guitars near the bottom of the sound food chain, was the pick of the litter, if it had a fresh set of strings on out.

Then there's the setup. The question there is, how is a beginner supposed to know if the neck angle is right, and a saddle sanding is all it needs to bring it to playable status.

Guitars are shipped most often with acoustic lights, (.012 to .053). As often as not, a student will want a lighter set to start out with. Something else he or she has to contend with, with little working knowledge. In short, when you're a "tenderfinger", every guitar is hard to fret, and if you're out trying guitars an entire afternoon, I guarantee, the strings on the last ones you try, will seem like you're trying to bend ten penny nails.

And FWIW, "spend more money", is always, (conditionally), good advice. Providing that, it's not your money, and you're not the one who has to do without.

The stone cold facts are, plenty of people pass through here thrilled with an Epiphone DR-100. For whatever its shortcomings might be, it's a lot better than some other crap out there, and a whole hell of a lot better than no guitar at all.

So, the Yamaha FG-700 is the best selling beginner's axe going. If the "Lindo" was in the TS' budget, he should be able to swing one of those. And buying off the web is cool. Most dealers have 30 days money back, free shipping, no sales tax. (At least here in the states). In Europe there's always Thoman. They didn't get to be as big as they are by screwing people over. (That's my impression. Anyone should do their own research on the prospective dealer, as much or more than the guitar).

Last edited by Captaincranky : 06-28-2015 at 08:17 AM.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:35 AM   #12
stkhoo

Hi Cap

I may be a noob but every guitar player's journey is unique and no two journey is the same. Choosing a guitar may be easier with someone of your experience compared with mine and I am just sharing my experiences and perhaps someone else can avoid my mistakes.

I do understand that everyone works with a budget. but at the same time we cannot just focus on price alone as there are other factors that can contribute to a beginner's success level. I was the beginner who once stood at the store not really knowing what to look for other than price and brand ignorant of everything else till three weeks later that the guitar I first bought, the strings where dead (even though they were not rusted), roughly a month later the string action was too high, and it was only two months after that I realise the guitar does not fit my body sizing.

All I am trying to share with him are the things that a beginner may not aware of.

At the end, I think its good to have a budget and brand in mind but the mind has to be fluid enough that putting another 50 Euros more may be a better choice than being stuck with a more affordable guitar that does not fit the player. It could also mean that by looking around may get a guitar for 50 Euros less.

Buying from the internet can be a double edge sword and the door swings both ways. Yes they can be reputable and it could be cheaper. To an experience guitar player who knows how to adjust their own guitar is great. But to the beginner is a very different story. Sure there are tons of internet video on them, we have to also consider a beginner's confidence getting those done on their own. If the guitar was purchased at the store, there is at the least some support for the purchase.

Last edited by stkhoo : 06-28-2015 at 09:44 AM.
stkhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:55 AM   #13
Jimjambanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by stkhoo
At the end, I think its good to have a budget and brand in mind but the mind has to be fluid enough that putting another 50 Euros more may be a better choice than being stuck with a more affordable guitar that does not fit the player. It could also mean that by looking around may get a guitar for 50 Euros less.

He's already stated that he has $250 amazon voucher which is why his price is strict and he HAS to buy online.

Rate This Thread: