Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-29-2015, 03:09 AM   #1
Trex_92

Taylor Big Baby or Fender CD-60CE

Hey im looking into getting a new acoustic guitar and ive narrowed my decision down to two different choices. A Taylor Big Baby or Fender CD-60CE. The Taylor Big Baby is a bit more expensive but im willing to buy it if it is the better choice. I just want to get some opions on these two guitars and what you would choose. Thanks and feel free to add in other suggestions of acoustic guitars withing the price range of these.
Trex_92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 03:43 AM   #2
Captaincranky

The Fender CD-60- is an all laminate instrument. Whereas, the Taylor Big Baby has a solid top.

I'm going to say many people who buy the Fender, do so because it comes in the all mahogany version.

IMHO, if you're looking for an all mahogany guitar, then the Fender, "Tim Armstrong Hellcat", is the one you should be looking toward.

Again, IMHO, I doubt that any model of the CD-60 compares favorably with the Taylor.

However, if you like and want the sound of a mahogany top, then the Hellcat is your go to option.

Last edited by Captaincranky : 01-29-2015 at 03:49 AM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 04:24 AM   #3
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

why those two? one is acoustic with a solid top and bright sound, the other is acoustic electric all laminate with a sort of boxy sound. if i had to pick one of the two, out of all the guitars in the world, i'd certainly go with the big baby over the fender. but why not a seagull S6, which imo kicks them to the curb, or a yamaha FG730, among many others? btw, i love the hellcat! unplugged it doesn't sound as resonant as the S6, but it's a fun guitar.
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 05:07 AM   #4
the_bi99man

Coming from a guy who works at a store where we sell both of those guitars quite regularly, Big Baby all the way. But! Try a Taylor GS Mini first. If you're willing to go a just a little more expensive, it's a better guitar. They play so damn nice. And sound so much better than they look like they should, for the size.
the_bi99man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 05:18 AM   #5
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bi99man
Coming from a guy who works at a store where we sell both of those guitars quite regularly, Big Baby all the way. But! Try a Taylor GS Mini first. If you're willing to go a just a little more expensive, it's a better guitar. They play so damn nice. And sound so much better than they look like they should, for the size.
I sincerely wouldn't pitch the GS Mini over the Seagull S-6 or the Big Baby. It is a short scale guitar, examples of which I thought were for younger players. The Big Baby has a 25.5" scale, which should be a bit "bossier", if or when played aggressively.

Besides, pretty much everything else around is 25.5" scale, So if you jump in with the standard long scale, there won't be any surprises concerning playability at the TS' next juncture.

Last edited by Captaincranky : 01-29-2015 at 05:21 AM.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:39 AM   #6
the_bi99man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincranky
I sincerely wouldn't pitch the GS Mini over the Seagull S-6 or the Big Baby. It is a short scale guitar, examples of which I thought were for younger players. The Big Baby has a 25.5" scale, which should be a bit "bossier", if or when played aggressively.

Besides, pretty much everything else around is 25.5" scale, So if you jump in with the standard long scale, there won't be any surprises concerning playability at the TS' next juncture.

Yeah, but the Big Baby just feels tinny. The neck is strangely thin, and I really dislike the way it's bolted on. The GS Mini may be smaller, but it's better made, and has sounded better every time I've tested them side by side, which has been many, many times, with dozens of Minis and Babys.

The Seagull, I don't have any experience with. If it's a decent solid top guitar around the same price range, then yeah, it's probably a better bet for the TS, assuming he wants full size.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:56 AM   #7
derek8520

My first acoustic guitar was a CD-60CE. I still have it and I still love it, though more for sentimental reasons than quality of sound. Un-amplified it sounds a bit too dull and though the pickup isn't terrible (nice even sound on every string, good volume, an eq that works fairly well) it still sounds a bit "plastic-y" if you know what I mean. The amplified sound was a big factor in me buying a new guitar (a Seagull actually) but I'm grateful that I got to learn on the Fender. Never played a Taylor.
derek8520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:02 AM   #8
Captaincranky

The TS' original 2 choices seem incongruous to me anyway.

If we're looking at $300.00 guitars, the the FGX-700 Yamaha, any of Epiphone's 3 current A/E dreads, (Hummngbird, Dove, or Pro 1 Ultra). the Fender CD-100, 0r CD-140 would be my choice to look at first. While I don't think Fender gives as much "bang for the buck", as other brands, I get a ton of flack from CD-100 owners when I say my typical rude things about Fender acoustics..

While of course they're two entirely different concepts, my Epi EJ-200SCE has it all over my Fender, "Sonoran", with respect to appointments, (Grover tuners, fully bound neck and headstock, plus and a lot of over neat stuff). Yet, they have the same day to day selling price. Which in my handicapped state, (left handed), is about $430.00.

FWIW, after browsing the Epiphone forum for quite a while, I discovered that the Epis everyone has it in for, are the Chinese made issues. The Indonesian and Korean built models, get fairly high praise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bi99man
Yeah, but the Big Baby just feels tinny. The neck is strangely thin, and I really dislike the way it's bolted on....[ ]...
Jeez, don't let Tony Done hear you about not liking Taylor's bolt on necks. But, that topic usually comes up in threads about their standard size instruments, (1xx, 2xx series). I know not whether the Big Baby, and Taylor's standard size line, have different implementations of the bolt on neck system.

Any or all of the bolt on neck issues notwithstanding, I expect bolt ons would grate on many an acoustic purist's sensibilities.

Last edited by Captaincranky : 01-29-2015 at 06:19 AM.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:50 AM   #9
Trex_92

Hey thanks for all the responses. I keep seeing the seagull s6 mentioned which is the guitar i would like over all of these but i live in Sweden where guitars are way overpriced. If i do the price out to usd the price is 130 dollars more than the Taylor Big Baby. The seagull s6 costs an equivelant of 567 usd over here as compared to the US price on Amazon 419 usd. If anyone here knows any affordable retailers of the S6 inside the EU please let me know. Anywhere outside of the EU and income taxes are rediculously high.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:46 PM   #10
Captaincranky

I don't understand "S6". But, are you planning to but locally, or on the web? Thomann's prices don't seem so bad, but yeah, they're not as good on price as etailers here in the US
Old 01-29-2015, 06:59 PM   #11
Trex_92

Would be nice to sit and test the guitar out so preferably locally. I know a really good music store not to far from where i live but if i have to go through the web i will. I have done tons of research comparing prices and listening to demo's and i am pretty sure i have come to my conclusion of which guitar i will buy. Of the guitar's listed and comparing many others the best guitar seems to be the Yamaha fg730s. The price is unbeatable and it seems to be the best bang for the buck at least here in Sweden.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:14 PM   #12
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

i used to own a yamaha FG730, and i liked it. it has a silvery sound, not boxy, and i consider it a good solid top guitar, not just a good value. if the FG730 had had a wider nut, i'd have kept it. to my ear, it has a bit warmer sound then the yamaha FG700.
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:25 PM   #13
the_bi99man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincranky

Jeez, don't let Tony Done hear you about not liking Taylor's bolt on necks. But, that topic usually comes up in threads about their standard size instruments, (1xx, 2xx series). I know not whether the Big Baby, and Taylor's standard size line, have different implementations of the bolt on neck system.

Any or all of the bolt on neck issues notwithstanding, I expect bolt ons would grate on many an acoustic purist's sensibilities.

Hahahaha. I actually LOVE the bolt on neck system that Taylor uses for their full-size guitars. I think it's genius. But the Baby and Big Baby don't use the same system. Their neck heels are super tiny, with like no meat to them, and they have exposed screws, on the fretboard. Right there, in the 16th fret. You can feel them when you fret notes there. I don't get it. Maybe it's supposed to make it even easier to pop the neck off for travel or storage or something, but it's ugly as sin and just looks insanely cheap. Honestly, I find it kind of strange that Taylor would even allow something so gross to carry their name.

Edit: We just got in the new catalogs/pricelists for 2015 Taylors at my shop. Looking at the pictures, it seems they've changed the Baby/Big Baby to get rid of that nasty exposed screw business I was talking about. They look pretty much like the rest of their guitars now. Nice.

Last edited by the_bi99man : 01-31-2015 at 11:01 PM.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:38 AM   #14
mbrohl

Looks like the screws are still exposed in the 2015 model from what I can tell, although it doesn't bother me. I love my Big Baby. Not a better sounding guitar anywhere for the same money as far as I'm concerned.
mbrohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 10:19 PM   #15
Tony Done

I see that CC has been taking my name in vain. It's true that I am a big fan of bolt-on necks, but in the interests of fairness, it has been reported that the heel sometimes breaks on Taylors due the the lack of a tenon or other support to put more meat in the stress area. - A stronger heel might e a design improvement

The Big Baby is a heelless design that puts function over form. - It isn't handsome but it works very well. I had a Baby Taylor that I liked a lot, except it had an unstable neck. The dodgy necks were replaced under warranty in the US, but not here in Oz.
Tony Done is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: