Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-15-2015, 12:31 PM   #1
Smokemonster

Stay @ home dad needs your help

So i almost bought a Seagull s6 original as my first acoustic after months of research...

I got to the store to pick it up and it came out of the box split!

I got a crash course in humidity and delicate nature of some of the solid tops and left the store empty handed.

it made me think a lot about what I was doing this for, my 3 yr old and 1 yr old sons.

i want an acoustic for around the house to play the wiggles or xmas music or other kids song with my kids and others that come over. I think I'm leaning more toward a laminated instrument as the play room is dry and nicks and dings from the kids are inevitable.

I'm so sick of the guitar store type of people and internet research is making my eyes bleed.can any of you recommend to me a very durable acoustic that can take a beating and should not split for under $500?

I am a beginner as well i loved the idea of the seagull s6 original its neck frets everything felt amazing. I have medium sized hands if that helps too.

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated by me and my sons ty for reading.
Smokemonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 12:55 PM   #2
chordcreeper

Hey Pal, Im a stay home Dad too, that had the same idea a year ago. I knew my boys would/ or I would trash my guitar, so I got a starter guitar. Just picked up a Fender starter for under $200. That was with a lesson included, which was a waste of time. Been playing for a year now and Ive got 250+ songs i can get through. You Tube is the best teacher, and you can do it easy if you are a stay at home Dad. Anyway, the Fender has been great and it did take a beating. Time to upgrade. Now that I know what it takes to take care of a guitar, im going all in with Martin most likely. Just my preference after playing every guitar out there at every kind of shop. The split Seagul was most likely a fluke. Have a ball. P.s. The boys just got their own guitars this Xmas and a band is in the making!
chordcreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 03:06 PM   #3
reverb66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokemonster
So i almost bought a Seagull s6 original as my first acoustic after months of research...

I got to the store to pick it up and it came out of the box split!

I got a crash course in humidity and delicate nature of some of the solid tops and left the store empty handed.

it made me think a lot about what I was doing this for, my 3 yr old and 1 yr old sons.

i want an acoustic for around the house to play the wiggles or xmas music or other kids song with my kids and others that come over. I think I'm leaning more toward a laminated instrument as the play room is dry and nicks and dings from the kids are inevitable.

I'm so sick of the guitar store type of people and internet research is making my eyes bleed.can any of you recommend to me a very durable acoustic that can take a beating and should not split for under $500?

I am a beginner as well i loved the idea of the seagull s6 original its neck frets everything felt amazing. I have medium sized hands if that helps too.

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated by me and my sons ty for reading.

Nevermind Seagull...their QC is all over the place, along with most other brands in that price range.

Find a Yamaha with good action, intonation, and that stays in tune - that is what matters. It's not at all normal for any guitar to split in half - that was clearly a lemon of a guitar.
Yamaha rules the low end market in terms of QC and value imho - they punch way above their weight. I've found them consistently playable and decent, even the $150.00 ones are good. That being said, you really need to evaluate each specific guitar on its merits. When you get above the $1000 mark that's when you can start looking at Martins and Taylors etc, but if I had $500.00 to spend on an acoustic - I would go with a Yamaha.
reverb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 03:39 PM   #4
Smokemonster

Thanks for the info guys.

Ok for a fender laminated tough enough for life with little kids i am looking at a fender T bucket 300 ce i guess.

What say you for the Yamaha model # or name i am not familiar with them but will give them a try.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:13 PM   #5
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokemonster
Thanks for the info guys.

Ok for a fender laminated tough enough for life with little kids i am looking at a fender T bucket 300 ce i guess.

What say you for the Yamaha model # or name i am not familiar with them but will give them a try.
Listen, I don't know that "Seagull's quality control is all over the place".

If you employ central heat during the winter, (and you live somewhere that actually has a winter), then you need some sort of strategy for humidifying the guitar, period.

The better a guitar is, the more fragile they become.

You can't keep a guitar out sitting on a stand in 20% RH, you'll break it.

Now it's the middle of the Winter and your Seagull cracked. Let's take the high road, and blame it on Godin's QA. Imstead of pilot error

News flash, Yamahas, neither solid wood or laminate, are indestructible either. And while laminate guitars are certainly more rugged than solid wood instruments, they can still be harmed, and you pay somewhat of a penalty in overall sound quality.
Captaincranky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 07:47 PM   #6
Tony Done

I sure that a lam top is more weatherproof than solid, it can't split, though other things, like joint separation, could occur. - I keep my ukes in my warm dry living room, and the all-solid one got a top split, the two laminate cheapos are fine.

Something like the Yamaha F310 or F370 is all-laminate, There will likely be some sacrifice in tone, but I think it might suit your needs very well regardless of that. But have a set up done.
Tony Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 08:11 PM   #7
rohash

Sounds very odd that a guitar would come split out of the box but I'm sure it's possible. Even the same models of guitars can be different and vary on quality(even high end brands). Just get them to send you a new one if that's the guitar you want. Seagull has great reputation, one of the tops in their price range and a lot of people rate them above big name guitars costing much more. A solid top, laminate B/S guitar is generally a pretty durable instrument, not as humidity prone as an all solid; a good compromise but yeah you still wouldn't want to keep it in extremely low humidity. Yamaha is a great way to go also, the F335 model is their all laminate if that's what you want. All laminate may sacrifice some in sound quality but not all that much to the average ear. It still sounds like a guitar and is perfectly good for a beater guitar to keep in the kids room.
rohash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 01:39 AM   #8
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

i have seen literally hundreds of seagulls, and quality control is better than most other lower cost guitar brands. i have a friend who works at a very busy guitar center who has never seen anything like a seagull cracked right out of the box. i figure it's either a supremely unusual situation or else the store let the guitar dry out severely and then put it in the box.

if you're looking for a wooden acoustic guitar, it's going to be sensitive to humidity, overheating and breakage. all-lam guitars are less sensitive, but that doesn't mean they are completely stable. a friend of mine had a low end all-lam classical that developed a huge crack - all-lam guitars might be less sensitive to humidity changes, but they are still going to have some issues.

btw, back to the seagull original S6 (was the one you talked about the original model?), it has a cedar top, which is more stable when it comes to humidity changes. perhaps the S6 had been severely abused in the box or someone had left it in extreme heat and the glue let go.

the yamaha F335 that captaincranky mentions sounds much better than most other all-lam guitars, and is probably the way to go, but if you plan on leaving it in hot cars, keeping it in very dry conditions or letting kids or pets knock it over, it can still break. if you live near a guitar center, their warranty has been known to cover things like this, and while i have never ever bought one of their warranties, it could be the way to go for you. read the fine print.

you could try and find a used carbon fiber guitar, which won't change in humid conditions at all and will be sturdier than wood. composite acoustics, now owned by peavy, tend to sound good to my ear, and are less expensive than the brighter rainsong guitars.
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 01:59 AM   #9
Cajundaddy

I have a Yam FG180 (40 yr old) and a Seagull S6+ (15 yr old). I prefer the Seagull. Seeing one with a cracked top is the fluke of the universe and certainly a mfg defect that would be fully covered under warranty. Give em another look.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:03 AM   #10
Smokemonster

Seriously thank you all for your time and input lots to consider now. The staff were verry shocked so am ok with the idea of a one off fluke.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:07 AM   #11
boyd98

I bought an el cheapo rogue for my dad's house. Just for when i travel to visit. $100 bucks. (picked it over the more expensive fender too). Just have to play some open notes and notes on the 12th fret make sure intonation is right and no buzzing.

Would totally recommend this for what you described. Plus your new to guitar. No reason to invest a ton in something; your toddler may bang it with a toy hammer.

I have a 7 and a 10year old.
We have a
Little Martin LX $300
Taylor 114 (another option for you)
Yamaha FG730s
Taylor K28 (3k)
----

The rogue is fine for what you need today. Don't overthink the purchase. Any guitar can break and any guitar can be a lemon right out of the box. Take the floor model, not a new one in the box, the one you play is the one you walk out of the store with.
boyd98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:49 AM   #12
Smokemonster

I got a takamine gd 10 and I love it! Thanks for the help gang i will come back one day when the kids are older and its time for a real guitar 👍
Old 01-20-2015, 01:05 AM   #13
Tony Done

A good beginners choice, IMO. But have it set up properly.
Tony Done is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: