Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-28-2016, 09:12 AM   #1
bass.desires

Bridge lifting maybe? Advice needed

Hi all, I am primarily an electric player but do love the sounds of a good acoustic from time to time. I ordered this and it arrived yesterday from fedex. I am unsure about the bridge/body status. I don't see any dipping in front of the bridge but the body does appear to swell ever so slightly behind the bridge. Also of concern is the edges and angle of the bridge. I attached imgur links so y'all can see. The bridge as 'wings' sort that look like the new batman battarang(sp?) that are off the body. I can't see that were was any glue whatsoever in these gaps so unsure if they were left to lift intentionally.

Bottom line is, should I send this baby back or does the bridge/body appear normal for a new guitar. Thanks ya'll!

http://imgur.com/kR8hONT

http://imgur.com/iaadb02
bass.desires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 12:12 PM   #2
Norman2
Norman2

Hi, I have never seen anything like this. What brand of guitar is it? I would do some
further research and send it back. Regards
Norman2
Old 01-28-2016, 12:34 PM   #3
bass.desires

DBZ. The same company Dean is having a lawsuit with. This particular model is their CA21EFM number.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:19 PM   #4
Captaincranky

`Yes, the bridge is lifting, and the top is way too convex.

The problem could be caused by any or all of the following:

!: Excess humidity

2: green, wet, or too thin wood in the top.

3: Bridge not glued down properly

4: Finish not cured properly before the guitar was put into service

5: Guitar tuned too high, and/or too heavy of a string gauge. < (least likely)

Due to the thinness of the top and string tension, you're pretty much destined to have a hint of a sag in front of the bridge, and a bit of a bow behind it. What you have is way beyond the expected.

I would say you can have a fairly extreme bow in a top, before the bridge begins to separate. In fact, I'm pretty sure a correctly glued bridge is at least in part, responsible for controlling it.

Last edited by Captaincranky : 01-28-2016 at 01:25 PM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 01:35 PM   #5
bass.desires

Thanks! I had suspected this was far from acceptable. I am going to send the guitar back. I also found some chips, and dings in the neck. The guitar itself sounds pretty good, all things considered. Thanks again.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:46 PM   #6
Captaincranky

You're quite welcome..

I know an electric player is apt to gravitate to a brand associated with electric guitars.

Unfortunately, this isn't always the best path to follow.

If this is going to be a outright return, I'd suggest you look at brands better known for acoustics, such as Seagull, Yamaha, Taylor, Guild (Chinese Guild "Westerly" series).

Although it would be above your current budget, The lowest Taylor 1xx line, ("Mexi-Taylors"), might have a sound which appeals to an electric player, plus the virtue of an easily re-settable neck.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:26 PM   #7
bass.desires

I am looking at the other guitars, but while I wait to send it back I am considering giving it another shot with an exchange. I currently have a Takamine GN series guitar which I do like, but wanted something with on board electronics. Been dealing with headaches involving soundhole pickups and wanted more simplicity/flexibility.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:53 PM   #8
Garthman

I'd never heard of DBZ guitars before reading this post and don't think I want to know anything more about them. Send it back immediately.

Then go and buy something like: Cort, Crafter, Epiphone, LAG, Recording King, Tanglewood, Vintage, Yamaha. The order is alphabetical rather than indicative of relative quality - they all make great guitars. All these brands are available in the UK - I'm not sure about the US so you might have other equally good stuff around.
Garthman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 03:40 PM   #9
Captaincranky

Yep, sound hole pickups can be quite the PITA.

Fortunately, onboard electronics are available in all the brands I mentioned, and many others, starting at the $300.00 price point.

Keep us updated as to your progress..
Old 01-28-2016, 03:44 PM   #10
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthman
I'd never heard of DBZ guitars before reading this post and don't think I want to know anything more about them. Send it back immediately....[ ]....
It's a line from the guy "Dean" who started Dean guitars. That said, it is a primarily electric oriented brand.

Dean Zaleski, I think his name is the marque's initials.
Old 01-28-2016, 04:01 PM   #11
ad_works

send it back. general cause is that not enough finish was removed under the bridge and they tried to glue down on that finish. or the glue failed, or the area was dirty, or they bollocks'd up the clamping, but usually a glue-up problem. the result is a lift.

-pretty hard to measure top radii with a blurry pic though. volume makers use radii dishes for asm (like i do) and the figure is set. usual radius for tops is 25, 30, and the "newly discovered" 50 ft. i go with either totally flat or 25 myself.

i humbly suggest a better guitar. deans are among the worst acoustics out there.

Last edited by ad_works : 01-28-2016 at 04:03 PM.
ad_works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 04:33 PM   #12
bass.desires

Looking at a Washburn WCG18CE Grand auditorium. (Thoughts? And is that a slim body?) No experience with Washburn at all. I am looking at the other options at the place I purchased the guitar from but not settled on anything yet.

Last edited by bass.desires : 01-28-2016 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01-28-2016, 04:55 PM   #13
TobusRex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad_works

i humbly suggest a better guitar. deans are among the worst acoustics out there.

My Dean Tradition actually plays very well, but doesn't sound so great. It does feel very cheap.
TobusRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 05:17 PM   #14
ad_works

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobusRex
My Dean Tradition actually plays very well, but doesn't sound so great. It does feel very cheap.

sound like a glowing endorsment
ad_works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 05:22 PM   #15
TobusRex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad_works
sound like a glowing endorsment

LOL...it gets worse. I'm a guy who raves about my Ephiphone Les Paul Special II (which nearly everybody here reviles).

So I'm a guy who loves cheap guitars, and even then I'm kinda "meh" on the Dean
TobusRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 09:53 PM   #16
skido13

The Washburn grand auditorium sounds like a good one for you, the sound's a little bright.
skido13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: