Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-07-2014, 09:05 PM   #1
rohash

seagull buzzing badly

I just got a used seagull SWS maritime mini jumbo a couple days ago. I bought the guitar used at a terrific price and it is a beautiful guitar in mint condition, zero fret wear; looks like it's never been played. However I noticed quite a bit of buzz while playing. Upon further investigation(plucking every note); the buzzing is coming from the low E and the G strings. The low E buzzes when plucked hard open and plucked moderately on the 1st and 2nd frets. The g string is a complete mess. It buzzes horribly plucked open and on the 1-5 frets- getting less the further up the fretboard(towards the body), but still noticeable even on the upper frets. I checked neck relief and it is very tight so my first course of action will be to loosen the truss rod. I just don't understand why that would only cause 2 strings to buzz and not all of them. I would expect uneven fretboard work from a cheaper guitar but not from a brand that is held in high regard for their craftsmanship. My first instinct was that maybe the E and g nut slots were cut too low. I'll have to get out my feeler gages to inspect further.
rohash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 09:13 PM   #2
Tony Done

If it is affecting the fretted notes, the nut isn't the problem. I would be looking at neck relief and action/saddle height first, in that order. FWIW, I set a moderate amount of neck relief (about business card thickness) on the bass side, then 1.6-1.8 mm relief on the treble side body fret, and 2.4 to 2.6mm bass side, 13-56 strings.
Tony Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 12:19 AM   #3
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Done
If it is affecting the fretted notes, the nut isn't the problem. I would be looking at neck relief and action/saddle height first, in that order. FWIW, I set a moderate amount of neck relief (about business card thickness) on the bass side, then 1.6-1.8 mm relief on the treble side body fret, and 2.4 to 2.6mm bass side, 13-56 strings.
Should should likely edit this,
Quote:
1.6-1.8 mm relief on the treble side body fret, and 2.4 to 2.6mm bass side, 13-56 strings.
to read, "action height". (For, "Clarity's sake". I've met her, and she's a PITA)...
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 12:36 AM   #4
Cajundaddy

Should be an easy fix with careful measurement and patience. Go easy on the truss adjustments. Some bozo probably already got in there and fuzzed it up to begin with. A Seagull usually comes with a precise setup right out of the box.
Cajundaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 02:13 AM   #5
Tony Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincranky
Should should likely edit this, to read, "action height". (For, "Clarity's sake". I've met her, and she's a PITA)...

Oops. Thanks. I blame it on senility. I knew what I was talking about.
Tony Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 09:21 AM   #6
rohash

Update, I broke out my tool kit and checked everything. The nut action was fine- .020 low E to .015 on the high. No buzzing on open strings(was wrong about that in my op). The bridge action fine too- 2.5 on the low side and 2.0 on the high at the 12th fret. The problem appears to be the neck relief, which was almost nil. I've gone to work loosening the truss rod in small increments and I've got it up to about .006. The buzzing is gone from the low E string and lessened in the G string, but it still buzzes when plucked moderately hard on the lower 5 frets. The last 2 adjustments I made on the truss rod didn't seem to do anything so I'm going to let it sit a little longer and hope string tension does the rest. I'd like to get neck relief up to .010 since I'm a fairly heavy strummer.

1 thing I don't understand though is why it's just the G string(lower frets) that is buzzing.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:35 AM   #7
rohash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajundaddy
Should be an easy fix with careful measurement and patience. Go easy on the truss adjustments. Some bozo probably already got in there and fuzzed it up to begin with. A Seagull usually comes with a precise setup right out of the box.

Yeah probably but I did buy the guitar from a shop. You would think any shop would have the neck relief set correctly on the guitars they are selling but I guess that isn't the case.

I know there's risks to buying off ebay, but $399 for a $699 seagull sws guitar in mint condition was a deal I couldn't pass up. Seagull has a great reputation and they generally hold their value pretty well. I think this is gonna be a terrific guitar once I get this issue resolved.
Old 11-08-2014, 12:25 PM   #8
Cajundaddy

They are nice guitars and worth the effort. Some of the early ones had an issue with bridge lifting away, but they are usually pretty bulletproof. My daughter just got a Seagull CW Spruce top for $320w HSC used in excellent condition. It sounds and plays great.
Cajundaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: