Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-17-2014, 11:49 AM   #1
debbie.moore.7

Tommyhawk

Anyone know where I can get a hold of a Tom Barth Tommyhawk and how much can I expect it spend on it? Also, how does it rank among other 'travel' guitars.
debbie.moore.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:46 PM   #2
AndyPMeister

The TommyHawk what can be said about it? There are currently no new ones being made as Tom Barth only made 300 of these bad boys. He has custom made them for rock royalty such as the likes of Sir Paul McCartney and Bruce the Goose Springsteen. Sadly, Tom passed away in 2005 after a long fight with illness. The world grieves the loss of a wonderful human being. I had an opportunity to meet him a few years before his death. The last one I'm aware of was sold by Elderly for 500 smackers (http://www.elderly.com/vintage/items/20U-12944.htm). It will be hard to get a hold of one of these because of the limited production short of breaking into the Smithsonian or Paul's and Bruce's homes and taking their copy. That's right I said it: the Smithsonian. The Smithsonian was showcasing a history of the guitars in '97 or '98 and asked for one from Tom for their collection. If you ever get a chance to own one do so. It's an instrument that could be classified as a 'curiosity' due to unusual design and sound quality. It's build out of one solid piece mahogany body with a glued on spruce top. The sound is a cross between a banjo and a ukulele. It's got a wonderful sustain; at least the one I have in steel strings does. I'm not sure about the nylon version. (You can't have mine). Although, because of it's diminutive size and narrow body, it does not have the projection of a full size instrument. But what do you expect from a guitar the size of a violin? Tom Barth did attempt to file a patent on the design before his death but my understanding is that he was not successful. Which could mean that you might see incarnations of this instrument in the future under some other name but don't hold your breath.
AndyPMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 03:14 PM   #3
debbie.moore.7

Wow I had no idea. Any chance you could post a picture of your instrument?
debbie.moore.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:35 PM   #4
AndyPMeister

Here is my Tommyhawk next to my uke. The tenor uke is actually larger.
Attached Images

AndyPMeister is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: