Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-04-2012, 04:18 PM   #181
turk1

Hi guys -

I recently starting playing guitar ~2-3 months ago and have been messing around with a cheap acoustic / classical. Upon hearing how I picked up guitar, a family member have gave me a Yamaha cg171sf that was laying around his house. From what I could tell its a flamenco guitar, and that's basically it.

Would this be a good guitar for a beginner? From what I can tell flamenco's are a little different from a classical, but how much do they really differ? What the quality of this guitar? Any input would be appreciated. Here's a link to said guitar:

[forbidden link]

Thanks!
turk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:57 PM   #182
NeutralFan
UG's Grey Square

Quote:
Originally Posted by turk1
Hi guys -

I recently starting playing guitar ~2-3 months ago and have been messing around with a cheap acoustic / classical. Upon hearing how I picked up guitar, a family member have gave me a Yamaha cg171sf that was laying around his house. From what I could tell its a flamenco guitar, and that's basically it.

Would this be a good guitar for a beginner? From what I can tell flamenco's are a little different from a classical, but how much do they really differ? What the quality of this guitar? Any input would be appreciated. Here's a link to said guitar:

[forbidden link]

Thanks!

There's not a lot of difference between a classical and flamenco guitar. The action on a flamenco is generally lower and the back and sides are often made from cypress or sycamore rather than rosewood or mahogany, which means a slightly treblier, crisper tone. They also often have pickguards, or golpeadors, installed - though judging by Google Images, if this particular one has one, then it is clear.

The lower action is the biggest difference; it can make it easer to play fast passages quickly (as in, amazingly, flamenco), but can sometimes mean fret buzz. It varies from guitar to guitar - try this out and see what you think.

Not really a lot of difference though. A flamenco is really just a particular specification of classical guitar.

That particular model seems to get good rep as a reliable starter guitar, and you can't really go wrong with Yamaha. You may find that the lower action helps you play and progress quickly; on the other hand, you might find it difficult going back to reglar classical or a steel-string. Play around with it and see what you think though - every guitar is different, particularly with acoustics.

And now for my own question:

It might seem weird to ask a question on the back of giving advice, but that's the way it is. I'm looking for as good an acoustic as I can possibly get for -£350. I'm kind of new to actually buying the things and wading through models and stuff though, and unfortunately due to my location it's very difficult to try anything before I buy. So - I'm calling on your help.

(BTW, if you think I should make a thread for this, I will)

I'd like a nice balanced tone, versitality and easy playability. I'm happy to buy used, but new would be easier. I'll happily use eBay or whatever if it offers much better value.

So far, I've been looking at Seagull (Entourage Rustic, S6 Slim - I'd prefer the slimmer neck), Simon and Patrick (whatever I can find cheap) and Alvarez (AD60, RD17, etc.). I'm well aware that there are heaps of other brands out there worth paying attention too though - like the ones at the start of this thread.

What do you guys think? Any specific model and brand recommendations?

Also, spruce or cedar top? I understand that a lot of people prefer the tone of cedar, but spruce seems to have a reputation for loudness and durability, which I would appreciate (I plan to mostly use a pick, if that makes any difference). For that matter, how much should I worry about the woods used for the back and sides?

Sorry for all the noob questions - if you'd rather just point me to a resource I've missed, then that's fine.

Cheers.

Edit: I've just realised that all the guitars I've mentioned are dreadnoughts. I'm not necessarily set on that; for some reason I just mentioned a whole lot of dreadnoughts. I'm perfectly open to other shapes. In fact, that's another question I'd like to ask: what kind of difference does the body shape make to the sound? For instance, what kind of difference is there between the Alvarez AD60 and AF60?

Call me Neutral.
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_
I wonder if you get more out put if you wire a battery to your penis.
HIBERNIAN FC
SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 14/15

Last edited by NeutralFan : 12-05-2012 at 03:30 PM.
NeutralFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:20 PM   #183
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

The Seagull S6 is a quality guitar. Good sound, well built, reasonably priced.

You also mention Simon & Patricks- my take on them is you need to consider all of Godin's acoustic brands. Besides those 2, there are also Art & Luthierie, Norman and LaPatrie.

You mention durability as one of your concerns. Among other guitars, I have owned an Ovation since about 1988, and not only do I think it sounds good, it has weathered every mishap I've been through with it with nary an issue.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:48 AM   #184
NeutralFan
UG's Grey Square

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
The Seagull S6 is a quality guitar. Good sound, well built, reasonably priced.

You also mention Simon & Patricks- my take on them is you need to consider all of Godin's acoustic brands. Besides those 2, there are also Art & Luthierie, Norman and LaPatrie.

You mention durability as one of your concerns. Among other guitars, I have owned an Ovation since about 1988, and not only do I think it sounds good, it has weathered every mishap I've been through with it with nary an issue.

Thanks. Yeah, I've been looking at Norman and A&L - ATM it's a case of popping those names into eBay and seeing what crops up. Aren't La Patrie solely classical? I don't see any steel-strings on their website, anyway.

I thought about Ovation too, but from what I know and have heard I would struggle to get as good an unplugged sound as a regular acoustic at this price point. That's why I haven't bothered looking at electros - at this price point, I'd rather spend my money on unplugged tone than pickups and stuff.

Saw a really good offer earlier actually for a like-new Norman fitted with a Fishman pickup. My search may be close to an end.

Edit: Just bought a nice Simon & Patrick SP6 on the cheap on eBay. Yay for me.

Call me Neutral.
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_
HIBERNIAN FC

Last edited by NeutralFan : 12-09-2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:19 PM   #185
naufalmukhsin

hey guys! i'm new here! i'm using a taylor 114e guitar and has been using it a lot for stage playing and some home recording with mic condenser. im thinking to buy a high end guitar for stage pluged guitar and a good guitar for recording with condenser mic, iwas thinking buying a martin gpcpa aura+ which have the fishman f1 aura+ pickup, but im also thinking buying a martin guitar that has no electric like the m36, d 35, or j40 and then install the a l.r bags anthem pickup, which do you guys prefer?

please help me out! i use a lot for strumming and a little bit of finger-style and i also like to play in the tune DADGAD on rare occasional
naufalmukhsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:00 AM   #186
JaidynM

I'm an intermediate guitar player who's looking for a decent acoustic guitar that will last me a while for under $300. If it goes over though, that's fine. I'm also looking for it to have an inbuilt tuner if possible, I'm not sure if that's limited to acoustic/electrics though so please correct me if I'm wrong. If it doesn't have one though, once again that's fine too.

I'm not too experienced when it comes to guitar shopping having only ever owned one guitar but from what I've read brands such as Gibson, Ibanez, Martin, Fender, Yamaha, Epiphone etc. make good guitars so I'd prefer it to be from a reputable brand.

I was told to look on Gumtree for second hand guitars and in my research I've found a few guitars that look decent; what would you recommend?

Ibanez PF60-SCE

Takamine Acoustic D Series

Fender Malibu

Yamaha FG 700MS

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited by JaidynM : 12-17-2012 at 02:03 AM.
JaidynM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:56 PM   #187
NeutralFan
UG's Grey Square

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaidynM
I'm an intermediate guitar player who's looking for a decent acoustic guitar that will last me a while for under $300. If it goes over though, that's fine. I'm also looking for it to have an inbuilt tuner if possible, I'm not sure if that's limited to acoustic/electrics though so please correct me if I'm wrong. If it doesn't have one though, once again that's fine too.

I'm not too experienced when it comes to guitar shopping having only ever owned one guitar but from what I've read brands such as Gibson, Ibanez, Martin, Fender, Yamaha, Epiphone etc. make good guitars so I'd prefer it to be from a reputable brand.

I was told to look on Gumtree for second hand guitars and in my research I've found a few guitars that look decent; what would you recommend?

Ibanez PF60-SCE

Takamine Acoustic D Series

Fender Malibu

Yamaha FG 700MS

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sorry, don't have time to give you a detailed reply. I'd seriously recommend checking out the Godin brands though (Seagull, S&P, A&L, Norman, etc.). Recently got a Simon and Patrick SP6 through eBay for £150. Absolutely love it.

Call me Neutral.
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_
HIBERNIAN FC
Old 12-21-2012, 04:45 AM   #188
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralFan
Sorry, don't have time to give you a detailed reply. I'd seriously recommend checking out the Godin brands though (Seagull, S&P, A&L, Norman, etc.). Recently got a Simon and Patrick SP6 through eBay for £150. Absolutely love it.

I'll echo that- I still haven't seen a bad Godin product, and sometimes, its difficult to tell the low-end and high-end Godin acoustics apart just looking at their build quality...

Old 01-12-2013, 08:50 PM   #189
ThisIsCountry

I HIGHLY recommend buying the Fender T-Bucket 300 Ce, Acoustic-Electric guitar. It has great sound, and the price is perfect for intermediate or beginner players. It has a great look as well, an I have had a phenomenal time playing on this beloved instrument. The price range is around 300$, and you get very good sound for the money. Good luck to all beginners on finding your perfect guitar!
ThisIsCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:10 PM   #190
music_siren26

Does anyone have any input on Luna Guitars?

More specifically, what say you about the Luna Henna Oasis, both the Spruce and Cedar models?

Will the wood make a difference in the guitar's sound, feel, and life( how long will it last)?

Thank you everyone, I hope your day is kickass!
music_siren26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:47 PM   #191
SageMusic

Hi all -

To answer a question above, La Patrie is only classical. It used to be that Seagull was the Steel String Brand, and La Patrie the Nylon String Brand, and they were owned by the same parent company. I think LaPatrie was sold and is now part of Godin, so they are now separate companies. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me. Either way, I have been happy with their guitars for the price.

I had a student with a Luna guitar, and I was not impressed at all. It needed a lot of work right out of the box, and the sound was poor, on top of being difficult to play. I got the impression they spent more on developing their marketing and the look of the guitar than its playability or sound.

However, because all individual pieces of wood have their own tonal characteristics, you can get a wide variation of quality in production guitars, even on the same model. Since I've only see one Luna, I wouldn't take my comments to mean that they are all that way.

I think that is what makes Larivee and Yamaha and Seagull great companies - they have managed to get a relatively good amount of consistency, so you know what you are going to get. You might find a really impressive Luna, if they are less consistent.

You should follow the advice of many others here and actually go play the specific guitar in question. That should give you a better answer. Definitely don't buy online without having heard or played the instrument. But yeah, the spruce and cedar materials will give you quite different sounds. The spruce will likely have a more clear, projecting, and focused sound. The cedar will likely have a more mellow, overtone rich, and full sound. The woods won't affect the feel of the instrument, or the life.

If you take care of any well-built guitar, clean it, humidify it, maintain it and make repairs, etc - you should get 50 years out of it. I can' make any recommendations on a Luna, because I am unsure of their quality.

Hope that helps!
SageMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:50 PM   #192
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Quote:
I think LaPatrie was sold and is now part of Godin...

Godin makes guitars under its own brand, plus Richmond, Seagull, Art & Lutherie, Norman, Simon & Patrick, and La Patrie.

Old 03-17-2013, 03:51 PM   #193
maitraab

can anyone help me pick a guitar... below are the ones i thinking.. please help...

Takamine EG530
Takamine EG320
Takamine EG330
Takamine EG340
Fender CD 100
Fender CD 140

Last edited by maitraab : 03-17-2013 at 04:17 PM.
maitraab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:19 PM   #194
Verral

Hey there.
I've been playing some heavy stuff in a band back in the day, but now it's all over and my LTD doesn't attract me anymore, awaiting for a buyer.
That's why I decided to buy an acoustic guitar so I can have an instrument to help myself feel depressed during rainy days or delighted during sunny ones.
I'd like it to have 6 metal strings, preferably body with a cutaway and with no electronics.
My budget is about 500$, but local shops around here usually sell guitars for slightly more money than in, for example, the USA's GuitarCenter.

The ones I considered suitable for me are:
Norman B18 CW / Simon&Patrick CW (I had luck playing the first one and fell in love with its sound)
Yamaha FG700S/FG720S/FG730S (there's no cutaway on these guitars, but the reviews on the web say that these are the perfect choices for the cash I've got)
Fender CD140S (I just tried it in the shop and it seemed it was a decent instrument)

I'd appreciate any advice which one to choose. Thank you in advance, fellow UGers.
Verral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:42 AM   #195
addiemass123

your answer lies here.

check this one as well

addiemass123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:02 AM   #196
rohan_91

I am planning to buy a new guitar?
At present i own an acoustic hobmer archtop guitar like the one in here (14809 Hobmer archtop guitar (used, age unknown) - Vintage Fret Shop). But i have heard that such guitars are preferred for jazz style of music. I am confused between fender sa-100, takamine s35, yamaha f310, and granada prs-1. I am even thinking of buying an acoustic-electric. Please clear my confusion. My budget is 5000-6000 indian rupees
rohan_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:48 AM   #197
Tazz3

Iam new here. I will be geting an acoustic only thing do I need a guitar with a wide neck
Tazz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:12 PM   #198
LouisLuccio4

Joined this forum tonight because I have rekindled my love for music, and wish to buy a guitar again. However, as I will be leaving for college, it only makes sense to purchase an acoustic or acoustic/electric. As far as acoustic electric guitars go, what brands offer models that are suitable to learn to play on, while producing a rich, balanced sound with an attractive appearance? Also, what kinds of amps should I be looking into? If you have an answer and are reallllly feeling helpful you could PM me. Thank you!
LouisLuccio4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:31 PM   #199
AllentheGuitar

What is the best brand for acoustic guitars? I am looking for the best brand since it promises good quality and handling. My folks told me to buy electric guitar. I don't have any idea on what to buy.. I am enrolling into guitar lessons online through learnguitarchords.net. So, I need your opinion on this please?
http://www.learnguitarchords.net
AllentheGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:21 PM   #200
No Moor Names!
FinGErs666(No Moor Names)

I have a KAY K-520 and a K. Suzuki 9507 acoustic guitar both I believe are Gibson mockingbird replicas and I think both were built between 1960 and 1980 could any one help with dates, prices and info pleas or put me in touch with someone who can

Rate This Thread: