Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-25-2010, 12:50 AM   #61
cjwilliams
CJ Williams

I know the guitar I have now is pretty crappy. It's right above what someone might buy a five year-old to shut them up singing a song from Sesame Street. However, I'm wondering what would be good for a relatively small person who wants a somewhat bassy, dark sound. I dig the dreadnought style (I think that's pretty much all you're going to get for any sound worth listening to on an acoustic), but the one I have is humungo...
cjwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 06:15 AM   #62
grungebaby
Actually likes blues.

well i play electric and i want an acoustic maybe even a 12 string and i'm not really sure how much a decent acoustic should cost so any suggestions? oh and also i'm kinda freaked out about how everyone says it sucks going from electrics to acoustics, is it really that bad cause i played one with like an inch of action and it didn't seem that bad but that might just be because i have like gorilla hands.
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Epiphone Valve Junior combo
grungebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:16 PM   #63
GC Shred Off
is into you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grungebaby
well i play electric and i want an acoustic maybe even a 12 string and i'm not really sure how much a decent acoustic should cost so any suggestions?

Spending just over $300 US will get you a pretty good, fully-functional acoustic. Another $100 will get you a similar guitar with built-in electronics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grungebaby
i'm kinda freaked out about how everyone says it sucks going from electrics to acoustics

It doesn't suck at all. The only people who complain about it are little whiny girlies.

Last edited by GC Shred Off : 06-28-2010 at 12:18 PM.
GC Shred Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:57 AM   #64
bha100710

Well now that you play an electric, I would recommend you to get a Washburn D10S .

Typically the neck of acoustic guitars is thicker than that of any electric guitar. Thus many guys who switch from electric to acoustic say it sucks to play.

But the Washburn D10s has the thinnest neck amongst all acoustic guitars and you almost feel like playing the electric guitar.

and the sound is amazing and it fits into your budget (I guess it is somewhere less than USD300)

Read out more about this guitar here: Washburn D10S review .

Last edited by bha100710 : 07-07-2010 at 08:36 AM.
bha100710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:14 PM   #65
Rocker_94
Eh?

Hey guys. I play mostly electric and I've been starting to think about getting an electric-acoustic guitar. I don't want to spend too much money on this thing, but my price range is flexible. I'd be willing to spend from about 300-400$, maybe more, maybe less if I can find something of good quality for that price.

I don't know much about electric-acoustics, so I'd like to have some suggestions on what brands/models I should check out. I'd like to have an idea of what to look for, what to try for next time I go to the guitar shop to avoid getting attacked by a sales clerk and played into buying something that's mediocre or not very bang-for-the-buck by simply being oblivous to what I want and having GAS.

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-13-2010, 08:14 PM   #66
GC Shred Off
is into you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocker_94
I'd like to have an idea of what to look for, what to try for next time I go to the guitar shop to avoid getting attacked by a sales clerk

Next time you go, just ask the clerk to leave you on your own for a bit. They'll never say no.

If you're just testing the acoustic waters, get a standard acoustic with no built-in electronics. They can always be added later if you find you desperately need them (which most do not). Seagull and Blueridge make nice stuff, but play everything you can find at least once. Once you've isolated a few that you're into, then start worrying about the specifics.

Last edited by GC Shred Off : 07-13-2010 at 08:15 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:58 PM   #67
QuantumMechanix
UG isn't that helpful

The OP seems to hate on Ibanez acoustics a bit... any reason for that? I'm considering buying an ibanez ew this afternoon... anyone have an opinion on it?
Old 07-17-2010, 09:38 PM   #68
GC Shred Off
is into you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumMechanix
The OP seems to hate on Ibanez acoustics a bit... any reason for that? I'm considering buying an ibanez ew this afternoon... anyone have an opinion on it?

I don't hate them really, it's just that they generally have few redeeming qualities (beyond looks) that would classify them as a "better" guitar than anything else in their price range. They've made an ugly habit of snagging electric players who are "making the switch" by trying to use their famous name and "exotic" woods. I wouldn't say they make bad instruments, but they certainly go about marketing them in a misleading way. It seems a bit tasteless to me.

That said, if you've found one that you like, buy it and don't think twice about it. The important thing is that you've made your own opinion on it after trying it out and aren't being sold by names or looks. You'll never go wrong if you buy what you like.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:49 AM   #69
TomW13

What about Maton? Or Cole Clark?
TomW13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:55 AM   #70
GC Shred Off
is into you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW13
What about Maton? Or Cole Clark?

What about them?
Old 07-20-2010, 12:43 PM   #71
QuantumMechanix
UG isn't that helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC Shred Off
I don't hate them really, it's just that they generally have few redeeming qualities (beyond looks) that would classify them as a "better" guitar than anything else in their price range. They've made an ugly habit of snagging electric players who are "making the switch" by trying to use their famous name and "exotic" woods. I wouldn't say they make bad instruments, but they certainly go about marketing them in a misleading way. It seems a bit tasteless to me.

That said, if you've found one that you like, buy it and don't think twice about it. The important thing is that you've made your own opinion on it after trying it out and aren't being sold by names or looks. You'll never go wrong if you buy what you like.

Thanks for the advice. I went ahead and bought the EW and so far I love it. I'll be gigging with her friday for the first time so we'll see how she holds up.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:39 AM   #72
jc349
UG's Chuck

My suggestion to this thread is to add a section about different types of wood. I have been researching Seagull guitars for a long time and couldn't tell the difference between the spruce top S6 and the cedar one for $30 more. It took actually playing them side by side for a long time to notice the subtle difference-

Cedar is a softer wood, and will scratch more easily than spruce
Spruce is harmonically more fundamental than Cedar
Cedar is more harmonically complex, with deeper overtones
Spruce stands up a bit better to flat-picking as Cedar can distort when picked hard, while Cedar has more depth for finger-picking because of the harmonic complexity.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdcrocks0323
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha

You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
jc349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:18 PM   #73
GC Shred Off
is into you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc349
My suggestion to this thread is to add a section about different types of wood. I have been researching Seagull guitars for a long time and couldn't tell the difference between the spruce top S6 and the cedar one for $30 more. It took actually playing them side by side for a long time to notice the subtle difference

I would, but it would add to the whole "intimidation factor" in buying a first guitar. It's important, sure, but I don't want to encourage any more "OMMGGZZZ-NOOO-my-guitar-is-cedar-not-spruce-is-that-OK?" threads. It's too hard to generalize how certain woods sound anyways, so it's always better to try everything.

But if everyone is really curious, maybe I'll put a link to some nice resources.

Last edited by GC Shred Off : 07-23-2010 at 12:19 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:27 PM   #74
dhenia182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocker_94
Hey guys. I play mostly electric and I've been starting to think about getting an electric-acoustic guitar. I don't want to spend too much money on this thing, but my price range is flexible. I'd be willing to spend from about 300-400$, maybe more, maybe less if I can find something of good quality for that price.

I don't know much about electric-acoustics, so I'd like to have some suggestions on what brands/models I should check out. I'd like to have an idea of what to look for, what to try for next time I go to the guitar shop to avoid getting attacked by a sales clerk and played into buying something that's mediocre or not very bang-for-the-buck by simply being oblivous to what I want and having GAS.

Thanks in advance!

for a former electric guitar player, in my opinion Ovation acoustic-electric guitar is the most suited one
dhenia182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:56 AM   #75
GC Shred Off
is into you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyG
thanks for posting this.

You're welcome. Be sure to tell your friends.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:55 AM   #76
T7E
All smiles :)

The greatest acoustic guitars i have ever had are Cole Clarks. they are made in Melbourne, Australia and are all solid timber. They absolutely poo on all the Maton's, Martin's and such other guitars in the similar price range ($1000-$3000). I am the proud owner of a Cole Clark FL1AC($1250) and it is the most beautiful thing ever created. they may cost a bit to import to America, but i think there are dealers over there so they are more than worth checking out if you can. They are also created from sustainable timber. the tops are made of Bunya normally, which actually sounds better than spruce, and is better for the environment as it take 400 years to grow enough spruce for a guitar, but it only takes 20 to grow the same amount of Bunya. please consider this. And Jack Johnson uses them, along with many other famous guitarists.
Anarchy Audio Analog Phaser
Toyroom Effects Woolly Bully
Neunaber Stereo WET
Chasebliss Audio Warped Vinyl
Diamond Compressor
Strymon EL Capistan
Smallsound/Bigsound Mini
Barwatt Rocket 30w
T7E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:18 AM   #77
Dresse

Hello

I have played electric guitar for about one and a half year but I would like an acoustic guitar to practice my chords.
By luck I found my brothers old guitar in the attic which is an Esteve Granados 1.
I'm not sure whether this is a decent guitar or not..
However its not in an extremely good shape after eating dust for 6 years.
The strings are rusted and there are a few dents in the woodwork.

Is it worth getting this guitar repaired and restringed or should I look for a new one?

thanks for reading

Dresse
Dresse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:13 AM   #78
gujinzhang
Banned

*ad removed*
gujinzhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:21 PM   #79
TheBadPlace

I've heard nothing but good about Carvin's electric instruments, but can't recall seeing anything about their acoustics, anybody have any experience with them?
For some reason, he thought the bison I painted was his mother, and gave me an F.

It wasn't my fault they look so similar.
TheBadPlace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 02:32 PM   #80
|Long|
String Theory

Didn't even know they made acoustics. What's your price range?
Hydroxic acid, kills thousands of people every year. Studies have shown lakes and rivers all over North America contain high levels hydroxic acid. Currently governments have taken no action against this life threatening chemical.
|Long| is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: