Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Tabs & Chords
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-08-2009, 12:49 AM   #1
The Arsis
UG Freak

Tabs & Chords: Instrument Ideas Thread [IID]

I couldn't come up with a better name for this kind of thread.

Need help with a better intro?
Do you have problems writing drum fills?
Need a second brain or insight on a song you have created?
Need opinions on certain parts?
Want some ideas for a song?

This is what this thread is about. Basically, I have made this thread for people that are stuck in their songs and need someone to help them out. For example, some people can't write drum parts for their life, so you can ask someone in this thread if they could help you or write drum parts for your song (optional).

Steps to follow!
1. Write down the problem or specific help needed.
2. Attach the GP file
3. Done.

NOTE: Make sure to thank the person who helped you and the people that attempted to help out.

NOTE 2: This thread is not for critiquing pieces.

Last edited by The Arsis : 12-08-2009 at 12:50 AM.
The Arsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:11 AM   #2
JesseBlanchard

Ah, I made a thread for this once. Kinda. But it failed. Hopefully this one works.

add us.
JesseBlanchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:00 AM   #3
thorbor
UG's only Holo

I'm always up for writing drumtracks

( _)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
thorbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:06 AM   #4
Julz127
And.

Hang on, so do we download the attached file and edit it or something and then re-upload it?
or do we just listen and make suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsync
And I've eaten at some of Australia's best pizzerias.

SOUNDCLOUD
. com / fancy-elle
Julz127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:41 AM   #5
ultimate-slash
the punctuation mark

Okay, I'll gues I'll be the first to ask for help here

Anyone got some suggestions on how to continue this piece I made last week?
Attached Files
File Type: gp5 3.gp5 (4.8 KB, 653 views)
Old 12-08-2009, 10:58 AM   #6
xbitmetal

Crappy? My friend told me that bar 3 sounds like shit, and is ****ing bad. Do you think the same way? What's wrong with it? I like it myself, but maybe I don't see the problem. Help plz ^^!
Attached Files
File Type: gp5 Crappy.gp5 (25.0 KB, 644 views)
xbitmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:21 PM   #7
thorbor
UG's only Holo

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbitmetal
Crappy? My friend told me that bar 3 sounds like shit, and is ****ing bad. Do you think the same way? What's wrong with it? I like it myself, but maybe I don't see the problem. Help plz ^^!

ok, there are 2 things about that:
1. The timing isn't really off, but I fixed the first 5 notes to make it a bit more fluent, while keeping that...chaotic feel
2. In contrast to the other bars, this one doesn't sound really classical, so I tweaked 2 notes. Not the best solution, but I hope it's giving you some hints.

other than that, the thing sounds pretty cool, keep it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate-slash
Okay, I'll gues I'll be the first to ask for help here

Anyone got some suggestions on how to continue this piece I made last week?

I don't know what kind of music you are going for. If it'S just and intro for any kind of metal song you could easily start with a heavy riff based on what you already have right away.
If you want to write a slower instrumental piece, you can either keep the ryhthm you have and change its key, or find a fitting chord to continue. Maybe Cm or Asus2, depending on the atmosphere.
Attached Files
File Type: gp5 Crappy.gp5 (25.3 KB, 485 views)

( _)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
Old 12-08-2009, 02:04 PM   #8
ultimate-slash
the punctuation mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorbor
I don't know what kind of music you are going for. If it'S just and intro for any kind of metal song you could easily start with a heavy riff based on what you already have right away.
If you want to write a slower instrumental piece, you can either keep the ryhthm you have and change its key, or find a fitting chord to continue. Maybe Cm or Asus2, depending on the atmosphere.

Yeah, any kind of music is fine really, just thought that up and wanted to go with whatever it would lead into, thanx for the ideas though
Old 12-08-2009, 03:24 PM   #9
xbitmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorbor
ok, there are 2 things about that:
1. The timing isn't really off, but I fixed the first 5 notes to make it a bit more fluent, while keeping that...chaotic feel
2. In contrast to the other bars, this one doesn't sound really classical, so I tweaked 2 notes. Not the best solution, but I hope it's giving you some hints.

other than that, the thing sounds pretty cool, keep it up.

May I have gp4? And thank's really !
Old 12-08-2009, 04:31 PM   #10
ultimate-slash
the punctuation mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbitmetal
May I have gp4? And thank's really !

Here ya go:

EDIT:
this is thorbor's version btw, I just transposed it to GP4, further than that I have nothing to do with the tab
Attached Files
File Type: gp4 Crappy[1].gp4 (11.1 KB, 310 views)
Old 12-08-2009, 05:14 PM   #11
Squares
Similar to Rectangles

I nominate with a heavy heart MaidenPriest666's tearjerking "Nigga Gimme a Breakdown" for a complete and utter overhaul in the drum section.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1240729

Please help this poor man.
Squares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:20 PM   #12
thorbor
UG's only Holo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squares
I nominate with a heavy heart MaidenPriest666's tearjerking "Nigga Gimme a Breakdown" for a complete and utter overhaul in the drum section.
I guess I'll take a look at that tomorrow

( _)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
Old 12-08-2009, 05:32 PM   #13
xbitmetal

Thanks for thorbor and ultimate-slash! If you want to hear what I did with "bar 3" go look for "Song of the Siren". It progressive death metal (I think.)
Old 12-08-2009, 06:16 PM   #14
The Arsis
UG Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julz127
Hang on, so do we download the attached file and edit it or something and then re-upload it?
or do we just listen and make suggestions?

You can do both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squares

You need his consent from the songwriter. You can't just post songs you think needs help. Please, don't do this again.

Last edited by The Arsis : 12-08-2009 at 06:21 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:35 PM   #15
Faceless_khaos

excellent idea arsis, i think this thread will turn out well.

annyyways..... i can write some pretty badass shit, but can never write leads/solos in key. basically all im asking is can someone give me an idea of a solo to play on these two songs? im not saying write me a solo so i can steal it, just a general idea to build off of. i tend to learn from watching whats going on. both of the songs are labelled where the solo starts and ends, usually when we practice I just freeball it. go hard on the solo if you so desire, i can rock some sweep picking and basically every tool i need to write a dope solo, i just dont possess the ability to solo in key.

neither of the songs have drums either if someone is feeling bored and feels the need to do the drums then go right ahead.

thanks for all the help guys.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 3- Malevolence Sustains.zip (6.1 KB, 448 views)
File Type: zip moloch's revenge.zip (5.0 KB, 378 views)

To Forgive is No Longer My Business

The Blood of Thermophile
Faceless_khaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:42 PM   #16
The Arsis
UG Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceless_khaos

annyyways..... i can write some pretty badass shit, but can never write leads/solos in key. basically all im asking is can someone give me an idea of a solo to play on these two songs? im not saying write me a solo so i can steal it, just a general idea to build off of. i tend to learn from watching whats going on. both of the songs are labelled where the solo starts and ends, usually when we practice I just freeball it. go hard on the solo if you so desire, i can rock some sweep picking and basically every tool i need to write a dope solo, i just dont possess the ability to solo in key.

neither of the songs have drums either if someone is feeling bored and feels the need to do the drums then go right ahead.

I did some drumming parts for majority of your song. Tell me what you think.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 3- Malevolence Sustains With Drums 2.zip (4.6 KB, 378 views)

Last edited by The Arsis : 12-09-2009 at 12:20 AM.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:45 AM   #17
JazzDeath
Oracle of the Absurd

Question

I need some mads advice for this piece I'm writing, I need to know whether the structure holds up properly, and I need advice on how to end the damn thing, this piece has been modified endlessly by me and I just don't know where to go with it anymore.

Any help would be appreciated, and I'd be glad to help back on one of your pieces.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Delusions.zip (34.2 KB, 397 views)
JazzDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:33 AM   #18
MaidenPriest666

lol my tearjerking song, its ok u can use it as a ""good" example"
MaidenPriest666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:17 AM   #19
Butt Rayge
UG Resident

Seems like a good idea for a thread. I'll be sure to contribute sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Arsis
NOTE 2: This thread is not for critiquing pieces.

I'd assume you are aiming this at those uploading, rather than those helping. Surely some critique would go down well if there really isn't anything that needs ammending.
Butt Rayge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:00 PM   #20
thorbor
UG's only Holo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceless_khaos

I listen to both songs, but unfortuantely I can't write shred solos too, and a shred solo would definitely be in order for the song, The Arsis did the drums for. I think the best would be to have 2 guitars playing the during solo one after another, like a guitar duel if you now what I mean. I'd start out with some tapping and longer bends, some random scratching and noisy stuff too.

Also, in the second song you have the same chord progression going on for over 50 bars, even if you cover that with vocals and leads, it's still kinda lame.

Other than that the songs remind me of Amon Amarth. The second one could sound good with dimmu borgir like keys, especially in teh first half of the song.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzDeath
I need some mads advice for this piece I'm writing, I need to know whether the structure holds up properly, and I need advice on how to end the damn thing, this piece has been modified endlessly by me and I just don't know where to go with it anymore.

Any help would be appreciated, and I'd be glad to help back on one of your pieces.
haha, crazy piece. I think you can jus end with a fade out on that one. I don't really know why you have onle the lead section fading out at the end, since you cant really hear that cool riff anymore. I'd just continue that riff for a few more bars ad then fade out.

( _)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Rate This Thread: