Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Tabs & Chords
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-16-2009, 07:03 PM   #41
thorbor
UG's only Holo

yeah thanks man, gotta play around with it tomorrow.

( _)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
thorbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 01:32 AM   #42
gonzaw
UG's Secret Agent

Bah, I had a concept in my mind for a solo, and did it and (for me anyways) sounds pretty good...

But it's only a 1:20 long solo, and I would have intended it to be a part of a song (maybe using the same concept too in some parts), but it's kind of difficult trying to make a song out of scratch thinking about how it would fit with the solo. Like, how should I make the chorus? or how should I make the song?
But mostly the question I make myself is if I should make the song at all. I want to so as to make the solo have a backup "story" let's say, make the song climax on said solo. But again, I'm too lazy to do one

Hmm, anyways I'm off for a few days, but I'll try to at least start the song in some time, but I'm off to other places for holidays in January, so it may take a while, anyways...
gonzaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 06:08 PM   #43
huevos
Signt, oo Jaed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzaw
Bah, I had a concept in my mind for a solo, and did it and (for me anyways) sounds pretty good...

But it's only a 1:20 long solo, and I would have intended it to be a part of a song (maybe using the same concept too in some parts), but it's kind of difficult trying to make a song out of scratch thinking about how it would fit with the solo. Like, how should I make the chorus? or how should I make the song?
But mostly the question I make myself is if I should make the song at all. I want to so as to make the solo have a backup "story" let's say, make the song climax on said solo. But again, I'm too lazy to do one

Hmm, anyways I'm off for a few days, but I'll try to at least start the song in some time, but I'm off to other places for holidays in January, so it may take a while, anyways...

Cool story bro.

Tab it (if you already haven't) and then send it to us.
You'll receive your brand new Dell XPS laptop in 4-6 weeks. All you need to do is send $100 monthly and we'll get back to you. Or maybe not.

Now tab the song foo!
huevos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:40 AM   #44
salamander121
Drummer

Really need a transition as I just stuck in a lame-ass rallentando that doesn't sound great at bars 15 - 16. Anybody got any ideas? Add or change it
Attached Files
File Type: gp5 Lost In The Arctic.gp5 (41.8 KB, 236 views)

My solo stuff: Finlay Cable (Soundcloud)
salamander121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:57 AM   #45
Lord-O-Donuts
Beer me.

Hey guys!

I really need ideas for this track. I haven't done much, but I can't find a transition which is suitable.

Help is appreciated!
Attached Files
File Type: gp5 Help.gp5 (5.7 KB, 223 views)
Lord-O-Donuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 01:34 PM   #46
thorbor
UG's only Holo

Quote:
Originally Posted by salamander121
Really need a transition as I just stuck in a lame-ass rallentando that doesn't sound great at bars 15 - 16. Anybody got any ideas? Add or change it
ok I played around with a bit and have some suggestions for you:
1. Let only 1 or 3 gutiars or the bass play a little like there, you can use some of the little legato shapes you had before.

1. b) scrap the rallentando and end the likc or whatever you do there with a whammy bar dive.

2. Drum fills are always perfect for stuff like that.

Also, it felt like an 3/4 time would be in orde rin that bar and not 4/4.

@ Lord O Donuts
Try out A#m, sounds good to me.

( _)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Last edited by thorbor : 12-20-2009 at 01:42 PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:11 PM   #47
gonzaw
UG's Secret Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by huevos
Cool story bro.

Tab it (if you already haven't) and then send it to us.
You'll receive your brand new Dell XPS laptop in 4-6 weeks. All you need to do is send $100 monthly and we'll get back to you. Or maybe not.

Now tab the song foo!

Okay here it is...

I was thinking of making the song mellow, and in A major. And maybe apply the same gimmick to the chorus, both in vocal, guitar and bass melodies, I dunno, I won't work too much on it now since I have exams, christmas parties and family reunions and then holidays anyways...
Attached Files
File Type: gp5 Solo.gp5 (15.3 KB, 223 views)
Old 12-20-2009, 04:39 PM   #48
salamander121
Drummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorbor
ok I played around with a bit and have some suggestions for you:
1. Let only 1 or 3 gutiars or the bass play a little like there, you can use some of the little legato shapes you had before.

1. b) scrap the rallentando and end the likc or whatever you do there with a whammy bar dive.

2. Drum fills are always perfect for stuff like that.

Also, it felt like an 3/4 time would be in orde rin that bar and not 4/4.

@ Lord O Donuts
Try out A#m, sounds good to me.

Thanks brah' - I'll try that whammy bar dive idea .

My solo stuff: Finlay Cable (Soundcloud)
salamander121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 05:01 PM   #49
thorbor
UG's only Holo

Quote:
Okay here it is...

I was thinking of making the song mellow, and in A major. And maybe apply the same gimmick to the chorus, both in vocal, guitar and bass melodies, I dunno, I won't work too much on it now since I have exams, christmas parties and family reunions and then holidays anyways...

alright, overall this thing sounds very nice, but it gets boring after while. let's say not really boring, but after you've heard the 9th fret like 50 times you want to hear something new.

I played around with it made some little changes. I'd write more but I don't really gt that much time.
what you did was basically very good and I enjoyed the solo, but it just wants to go up a few frets after like 16 bars, but that never really comes.
From bar 31 on you should just move everythng up one octave as I did.
Attached Files
File Type: gp5 Solo.gp5 (15.4 KB, 210 views)

( _)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
Old 12-20-2009, 05:18 PM   #50
gonzaw
UG's Secret Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorbor
alright, overall this thing sounds very nice, but it gets boring after while. let's say not really boring, but after you've heard the 9th fret like 50 times you want to hear something new.

I played around with it made some little changes. I'd write more but I don't really gt that much time.
what you did was basically very good and I enjoyed the solo, but it just wants to go up a few frets after like 16 bars, but that never really comes.
From bar 31 on you should just move everythng up one octave as I did.

I had some trouble making changes to the solo, since some parts of the solo are symbiotic...

For instance, you can't change bar 15 without changing bar 23. You can't change bar 16 without changing bar 22. You can't change 30-33 without changing 5-8....

Meaning, if you think bars 21-24 sound good, then you can't change bars 14-17, even if you think they would need some little improvement (if they are boring, etc).

That's the problem I had: for instance, the last bars sound kind of dull, like without closure, but I can't change them without changing the beginning of the solo, meaning if I change them to have some closure or some nice phrase the solo would begin horribly. But since it's the end of the solo, I can always fade out (since it would be the end of the song) or bring other instruments on top of it and end with some Outro of sorts....
Old 12-20-2009, 05:46 PM   #51
thorbor
UG's only Holo

yeah I see what you did there, but the main problem is, if the whole solo consists of 5 notes, you can't really distinguish those parts.
Let me put it this way: with recurring themes in a solo you can make it awesome, but in this solo it's hard to actually see those themes. And even if you recognise them, they aren't that special and wont stick into ones head.
This solo always stays on the same level of tension and you have to change that.
Sure, there are some nice bends in there, but they wont make the solo.

You have to extend the range of notes (time and tonality) you use, otherwise the recurring themes wont be awesome, but boring.

also, the B is starting to piss me off big time. I mean didn't yo realize while listening to/writing this song that you use this note way too often?

( _)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Last edited by thorbor : 12-20-2009 at 05:51 PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:58 PM   #52
icronic

Quote:
Okay here it is...

Well. from 1-12 is good (aside from one note in bar 9, and from 29 until the end is good as well, but everything in between is pretty awful. I'm not really sure what you were trying to do, but between the choice in chords and the choice of lead notes and the somewhat choppy phrasing just sounded bad to me. I think you really need to go back and re-work your chord progression, and pay a little closer attention to chord tones in your lead playing.
icronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 06:27 PM   #53
gonzaw
UG's Secret Agent

I have to say I couldn't find a good chord progression for it since I made the melody first, but i don't see what the problem in the progression from 12-28 is.
Hell honestly I don't see what's so awful about that part, it's a A B A ternary phrase, while the reversed one two binary phrases. It was kind of difficult working with the order of the semiphrases, that's why I made that part at 11-12...

Anyways, my problem wasn't about the solo itself, but about how to make the song....

EDIT: I put all those B since the whole thing is played backwards too, so for any B starting the semiphrase there has to be a B ending the semiphrase (since the thing is in B minor).

Last edited by gonzaw : 12-20-2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:46 PM   #54
icronic

Quote:
I have to say I couldn't find a good chord progression for it since I made the melody first, but i don't see what the problem in the progression from 12-28 is.

Well, I'll tell you what's wrong. First however, I know I'm being harsh. Just take my word that I'm trying to be semi-helpful in the process, and not just an ass

Bar 12 D to E bend. You're bending out of a chord tone. This rarely works.
Bar 13, the D note and the B note are bad, and both actually imply Bm instead of F#m, which then makes the E to F# bend sound out.
Bar14 D to E bend again throws the chord off.
Bar 15. the way your phrased is implying E and B are the main tones, and the F# is a passing tone. This doesn't compliment the chord, and infact it actually makes the A note you ended on sound off, despite the fact that it is a chord tone.
16 and 17 are the same as 12 and 13

Bar 18 I guess that would be an E7 with a Diminished 5th. Either way, your tones are E A# and D. Oddly you've got lots of A notes instead of A# in your lead, and only a couple Es and Ds, and most of them are placed in weak positions.
Bar 19 is fine (horray)
Bar 20 same as bar 18

The next 8 bars are more of the same.

It's tough to write a chord progression behind an already written melody. All you can really do is analyze each bar, see which notes are the most prevalent, and which notes land on the strongest beats in your rhythms and see which chords they make. All you can really do is either go back and try to re-do your progression to fit your melodies, or alter your melodies to better fit the chord progression.

Also, while you may not be looking for help with the solo, it's impossible to really make suggestions on where you can take your song, when the portion you've shown is as it is.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:50 PM   #55
icronic

And in a new post, something I've just started working on.

Pretty rough still. Mostly interested in comments on the last little bit. I'm really not sure if I should just scrap it or what. Or where to go with it for that matter.
Attached Files
File Type: gp5 Mr cool.gp5 (31.3 KB, 157 views)
Old 12-20-2009, 08:48 PM   #56
Siggelump
Registered Bot

Hiya!

Problem: Well.. I think the intro is very dull and boring. I don't know if it's the lack of drums and bass or if it's just poor phrasing, but there's definitely something.

So I wonder if anyone would have any input on how to make the intro more interesting! Feel free to do anything with the song though, not just the intro.

As you guys can see it's not finished in any way, but it's nice to get some tips for better writing. Thanks!

Edit: I guess it could have something to do with the straight eights, but still. Anyhow, I'm not a good guitar player nor writer, so don't bash me too hard.
Attached Files
File Type: gp5 Halp me!!.gp5 (22.1 KB, 160 views)
File Type: gp4 Halp me!!GP4.gp4 (19.1 KB, 131 views)

Last edited by Siggelump : 12-20-2009 at 08:52 PM.
Siggelump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:57 PM   #57
icronic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggelump
Hiya!

Problem: Well.. I think the intro is very dull and boring. I don't know if it's the lack of drums and bass or if it's just poor phrasing, but there's definitely something.

So I wonder if anyone would have any input on how to make the intro more interesting! Feel free to do anything with the song though, not just the intro.

As you guys can see it's not finished in any way, but it's nice to get some tips for better writing. Thanks!

Edit: I guess it could have something to do with the straight eights, but still. Anyhow, I'm not a good guitar player nor writer, so don't bash me too hard.

Well first you should use the let ring option for the first 8 bars. That'll help a lot. Other than that you can add little flourishes. Some triplet or 16th note ho/po kinda stuff on the E and B strings.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:17 PM   #58
Siggelump
Registered Bot

Thanks for your input!

The let ring option really made it feel nicer, can't believe I didn't think of that. And I'll try to add something more interesting note value-wise. Thanks again.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:42 PM   #59
gonzaw
UG's Secret Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by icronic
Well, I'll tell you what's wrong. First however, I know I'm being harsh. Just take my word that I'm trying to be semi-helpful in the process, and not just an ass

Bar 12 D to E bend. You're bending out of a chord tone. This rarely works.
Bar 13, the D note and the B note are bad, and both actually imply Bm instead of F#m, which then makes the E to F# bend sound out.
Bar14 D to E bend again throws the chord off.
Bar 15. the way your phrased is implying E and B are the main tones, and the F# is a passing tone. This doesn't compliment the chord, and infact it actually makes the A note you ended on sound off, despite the fact that it is a chord tone.
16 and 17 are the same as 12 and 13

Bar 18 I guess that would be an E7 with a Diminished 5th. Either way, your tones are E A# and D. Oddly you've got lots of A notes instead of A# in your lead, and only a couple Es and Ds, and most of them are placed in weak positions.
Bar 19 is fine (horray)
Bar 20 same as bar 18

The next 8 bars are more of the same.

It's tough to write a chord progression behind an already written melody. All you can really do is analyze each bar, see which notes are the most prevalent, and which notes land on the strongest beats in your rhythms and see which chords they make. All you can really do is either go back and try to re-do your progression to fit your melodies, or alter your melodies to better fit the chord progression.

Also, while you may not be looking for help with the solo, it's impossible to really make suggestions on where you can take your song, when the portion you've shown is as it is.

Well, firstly I wasn't desperate for a suggestion I just kind of pointed it out so maybe someone could have a tip or something.....

Anyways, I thought you said the melodies were awful so I was kind of like "wtf?"
Yeah, I made the chords in like the spot and didn't think too much about them, I was only trying just to see if something fit and then continue doing the song, since the rhythm of the chord progression could be decided by the rhythm of some parts of the song (or if the chords are played with distortion, or a piano, whatever)...

Anyways, I'll try fixing the chord progression (just from bars 12-19, I will just simetrizise the rest, well, at least try and see what happens)

Last edited by gonzaw : 12-21-2009 at 12:03 AM.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:05 AM   #60
xbitmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggelump
Hiya!

You should use let ring at start, it would help alot and make it memoreable.
Bass&Drums should fix the rest. Also didn't like some parts in solo. Bar 21 is horrible.
Instead of 2x 1/4 A with vibrato you could make something like 8-5-7(7 2/4 with vibrato, little vibrato!) Edit bar 23 same way, the ending sounds like afwul when same note is being overused.
xbitmetal is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: