Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Tabs & Chords
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-31-2009, 12:08 AM   #61
Reighnart

Hey, so this is just some nooby improv over chords that I wrote a while back, but I kinda like where its going. I put in a lot of extra bars so that someone could write in an idea they might have had for a solo or something. I kinda think it needs something acoustic. I don't really think it would be good with drums but maybe you have ideas for that too. Thanks everyone.
Attached Files
File Type: gp5 Epitaph.gp5 (10.9 KB, 218 views)
File Type: gp4 Epitaph.gp4 (6.5 KB, 192 views)
Reighnart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 02:26 AM   #62
The Arsis
UG Freak

I added some drums and bass.
Attached Files
File Type: gp5 Epitaph.gp5 (20.5 KB, 224 views)
The Arsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:10 AM   #63
-megan-
i are scientist.

I was just messing around one day, thought of some interesting ideas, decided to write them down and transfer them into powertab. I would love to create a full song out of this but at the moment it's just little pieces of hopefully what can turn into a full song. Any ideas/help would be wonderful. Although, one of my friends said it sounds like Devil In a Midnight Mass by Billy Talent?

I'm no expert at song making whatsoever and this is probably one of the first things I've ever done, I tried as hard as I can to make the powertab sound legit but it probably makes no sense. It sounds better actually played. Still, if anyone wants to comment or give some ideas, I'd be really grateful. No lyrics or a song title yet, just notes.
Attached Files
File Type: ptb 10910.ptb (4.2 KB, 208 views)
-megan- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 04:07 PM   #64
WyldChylde
smut life

I'll gladly write some drum tracks on stuff.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:38 PM   #65
monstercupcake

I'm writing some pop-punk/hardcore. I'm not exactly sure where to go with this intro. Anyone wanna help me out?

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1258206
monstercupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:28 AM   #66
piratemetalhead
madjurstic

Not entirely sure if this is the right thread, but anybody know how to have one instrument changing into another at a certain bar in GP5?
Old 01-25-2010, 01:33 AM   #67
herby190
slaps basses and faces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratemetalhead
Not entirely sure if this is the right thread, but anybody know how to have one instrument changing into another at a certain bar in GP5?
F10 to go to mix table, and there's an instrument option from there.
herby190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:36 AM   #68
piratemetalhead
madjurstic

Thanks, I wouldve actually spent forever trying to find out how
Old 02-02-2010, 03:11 PM   #69
JazzDeath
Oracle of the Absurd

Alright this song is mads work in progress but, any opinions or ideas would be cool - my main concern is the flow of the song, I would like to know if there are flow issues and if anyone has ideas to resolve them, to make the sections stick together better and the transitions less shitty, so tospeak .
Attached Files
File Type: zip The Cyborg.zip (6.5 KB, 221 views)
JazzDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:18 PM   #70
thorbor
UG's only Holo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzDeath
Alright this song is mads work in progress but, any opinions or ideas would be cool - my main concern is the flow of the song, I would like to know if there are flow issues and if anyone has ideas to resolve them, to make the sections stick together better and the transitions less shitty, so tospeak .
haha, typical jazzdeath piece

well, not quite, because this really is a lot more "bulky" if I may say so. but after closing your tab and then reopening it to tell you that the riff starting at bar 43 drags on too long, I first read the actual title. After that, everything basically has fallen into place. It really has weird transitions and doesn't flow that well, but that's what a cyborg is supposed to be.

( _)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Last edited by thorbor : 02-03-2010 at 05:20 PM.
thorbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:42 PM   #71
Puppet_616

Hey there, I usually write metal/rock, but decided to try and write an R&B/Jazzy track. (original R&B not the contemporary stuff).
Using a 12 bar chord progression but not really sure how to add any more dynamic or what could go next.

I only really play bass but know a little music theory so can construct chords and stuff on other instruments. So really any drum ideas, guitar ideas or even Sax ideas would be great. Either to add to the exisiting bars or that could follow. Also opinions would be great.
Cheers,
Josh

Edit: Don't be too harsh, this is my fist song I've written on GP so yeah
Attached Files
File Type: gp5 RnBstyle.gp5 (14.6 KB, 213 views)

Last edited by Puppet_616 : 02-04-2010 at 12:45 PM.
Puppet_616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:17 PM   #72
huevos
Signt, oo Jaed?

JD: Problem-The transition at bar 84/85. Switching from melo-death (w/groove) to what I can only call Cynic power metal is always gunna make for a difficult transition.

Solution-Don't go with a fade out here. I'm not really sure what to do here.
I tried a bass intermezzi of the following riff, but that sounds way out of place.
Alright, I got something. Extend that section to 6-8 measures, 8th note bass line, hit a D5 every time the D comes up on the bass line, and do an awkward kick drum rhythm.

Puppet (hey lil Puppet, hehe)-Pretty bog standard, but it does encapsulate the soul of old school R&B, the real shit.
For the jazzy, blues style you're going with here, everything works perfect. I'd say introduce a second (overdriven) guitar line at bar 7, introducing the sax at bar 12. The guitar should play Albert King, ZZ Top licks, while the sax busts out some Coltrane and Davis. Don't have them play the different styles simultaneously, as it could make for a garbled mess.
Instead do a call and response style, finally climaxing with them working in harmony. I'll work on it for a minute so you can see what I mean.

EDIT: There.
Attached Files
File Type: gp5 RnBstyle_leads.gp5 (23.7 KB, 203 views)

Last edited by huevos : 02-04-2010 at 04:56 PM.
huevos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:32 PM   #73
thorbor
UG's only Holo

to puppet:
basically what huevos said.
That thing sounds like a rough draft that needs to be filled with triplets, breaks, ghost notes, legato, bends, and mroe instruments.
I can't give any specific advice here since it's just a basis to work from. If you have written some details in a few days I'll glady check it out though.

( _)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
Old 02-04-2010, 04:40 PM   #74
Puppet_616

Thanks guys, I'll be working on it, and huevos I look forward to seeing your interpretation. I'm pretty new to song writing and instrument playing. (Been playing bass maybe 6months and so far have only ever written Metallica rip off riffs). So this is my first attempt at not only something different, but also a proper song than doesn't just consist of open notes, powerchords and double bass.

EDIT: Thanks for that, sounded really cool. I'm gonna go and work on it for a bit now and hopefully come up with a newer version in a day or two
Attached Files
File Type: gp5 RnBstyle2.gp5 (23.3 KB, 187 views)

Last edited by Puppet_616 : 02-07-2010 at 08:32 AM.
Puppet_616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:12 AM   #75
JazzDeath
Oracle of the Absurd

What does bulky mean? Is that good or bad?

Oh and yes, that transition is uber awkward, I'm thinking of inserting ambient noises and a fade in on drums/bass, I'll see how I can pull that off but it's really supposed to indicate a change of chapter.
JazzDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:20 PM   #76
thorbor
UG's only Holo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzDeath
What does bulky mean? Is that good or bad?
haha, I had to google that one. well generally it's bad but in this case it's rather good because it adds to the atmosphere and feeling of the song.

( _)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
Old 02-05-2010, 06:45 PM   #77
Vengynce

This post sort of involves a few songs.
I need help writing a synth/piano part to two songs for my band. You will be credited with it of course. Alternate between piano effects as you wish, as long as it doesn't get radical. Just fit the song

Also, in another one of my songs, I want to find if theres any places to fit a solo. So if you can help with that, please do
Attached Files
File Type: gp5 A Sad Serenade.gp5 (76.9 KB, 166 views)
File Type: gp5 Human.gp5 (38.6 KB, 153 views)
File Type: gp5 Rise.gp5 (47.7 KB, 155 views)
Vengynce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:07 AM   #78
thorbor
UG's only Holo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengynce
This post sort of involves a few songs.
I need help writing a synth/piano part to two songs for my band. You will be credited with it of course. Alternate between piano effects as you wish, as long as it doesn't get radical. Just fit the song

Also, in another one of my songs, I want to find if theres any places to fit a solo. So if you can help with that, please do
I know you didn't ask for that, but I couldn't resist changing your solo in A Sad Serenade a bit.
I really liked your solo and in contrast to many other solos around here you have a good phrasing, but some things almost felt like they could need a little bit more help.
You had good licks in there, but they we'rent really connected, or let's say, they were too much connected. I don't really know how to say this, but some licks could not develop their full potential because there were not enough room for them. It's just my opinion that you have to seperate each lick from another, while still keep them connected.
But I guess isntead of reading this bogus you should just look into it and see if you like the things I did.

So all in all, you had good phrasing, but sometimes it was too much. Make more use of triplets, dotted notes and bends.

Oh, and the second riffs chord progression is ultra generic. I think I already critted this song a while back though.

I also looked into the third song and it was a bit strange. The intro was pretty cool but you use that riff and too often and it's too long. Vocals could possibly drag away from that, but still, some variation is always a good idea, but I'm kind of a smartass on here when it somes to that
Concerning the keys, I can't really say much on that topic. Let's just say I couldn't spot any mistakes in that direction.

Aleight, coming to my song. Just started to write that yesterday as a rock song for my band but it turned out to be something completely different >.>
If anybody could make it more jazzy or give some pointers on how to continue that I'd be really happy.
Also, in the last part "not a solo" just have the clean guitar and the bass playing. It sounds pretty good imo and I'm thinking about xutting down the drums and the lead over that part and focus on bass and clean guitars.
Anyway, mixed for RSE as usual, the gp4 mix will be kinda off.

edit: files are up. Another thng concerning my tab: I'll plan on using the main riff agai later on, with an extended bass part and another thing that needs some work is the transition to the last part.

cheers.
Attached Files
File Type: gp5 A Sad Serenade.gp5 (77.1 KB, 145 views)
File Type: gp5 #35.gp5 (13.3 KB, 141 views)
File Type: gp4 #35.gp4 (8.5 KB, 130 views)

( _)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Last edited by thorbor : 02-06-2010 at 08:12 AM.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:36 PM   #79
Vengynce

Thank you, I enjoyed the additions you made. I'll probably edit some of the solo a bit more to fit the rest. What exactly is phrasing?
Vengynce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:00 AM   #80
huevos
Signt, oo Jaed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet_616
Thanks guys, I'll be working on it, and huevos I look forward to seeing your interpretation. I'm pretty new to song writing and instrument playing. (Been playing bass maybe 6months and so far have only ever written Metallica rip off riffs). So this is my first attempt at not only something different, but also a proper song than doesn't just consist of open notes, powerchords and double bass.

EDIT: Thanks for that, sounded really cool. I'm gonna go and work on it for a bit now and hopefully come up with a newer version in a day or two

I like that lounge-y ambience the piano brings in.

In your future song endeavors, you'll definitely wanna stick to this type of streamlined song format before going into the unknown. I did this whole songwriting schtick ass backwards and now I'm really starting to feel the hurt (of lacking structured songs).
Good luck and don't be afraid to post here more often.
huevos is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: