Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > Archives Of The Best Threads > Technique Archives
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-20-2009, 04:37 AM   #41
juckfush
UG's Fancy Antsy-Lope!

Not a problem It is tough to get to grips with, but with a little bit of practice everything will fall into place. I haven't had any fingerpicking experience, but decided to try my hand (lolpun) at hybrid picking recently, and while it was clumsy at first, it definitely got on track quickly. A simple exercise is a staple lick like this:

Code:
S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S E||-----------------------------------|-----------------------------------|| B||---------3-----3-----3-----3-----3-|-------3-----3-----3-----3-----3---|| G||-------0-----0-----0-----0-----0---|---------0-----0-----0-----0-----0-|| D||--3h-5-----5-----5-----5-----5-----|--3h-5-----5-----5-----5-----5-----|| A||-----------------------------------|-----------------------------------|| E||-----------------------------------|-----------------------------------||

Using the downstroke with the pick for the D string, middle finger for the G, and ring finger for the B. It's a great exercise for getting used to the concept, and it's what got me underway, if you're interested in giving it a shot. =]
Old 12-20-2009, 04:58 AM   #42
Moonshield17
whiskey in the jar

Definitely I am! But at the moment my fingers are all buttery from popcorn, lol. So I'll try this out tomorrow when I pick up my guitar again. It looks like one of those things when played thru a few times, it'll become quite simple. thanks for the tabs!
Old 12-20-2009, 11:09 PM   #43
Legion6789

Wow, I haven't checked here for a while, this thread has taken on a life of its own. I still haven't really had any success getting faster. My guitar teacher recommended I try doing 5-6-7-8 on just the high e string and see how fast I can get it. I can burst it for 110bpm.

I have been learning songs, about 2 or 3 per week. Otherwise I think I'd go insane if all I did were exercises. I find for the most part I can learn the rhythm parts of songs without much trouble (at least the songs I've been interested in learning). But I get frustrated when I want to learn the solo and I realize there isn't much hope cause it's too fast.

It's not that I want to be Paul Gilbert or anything, I just want to be able to play the songs I like.

Anyway, I think most of my problem is in my fretting hand. I've noticed with chromatic exercises that my fingers don't roll across the frets in a 1-2-3-4 motion all the time, as it gets near my speed limit, sometimes the second and third finger come down together. Makes me think it might be partly a finger independence issue.

So I thought maybe I should focus my speed efforts for now on legato exercises. Especially since I've found that multifinger pulloffs like 4p3p2p1 or 4p3p1, etc are really slow and awkward for me.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:53 AM   #44
dethroned

I've never posted on this forum before, so hope I'm doing it right, not pissing anyone off, or giving poor advice.

That said, I'm having sort of the same issue, but I feel I've found the right exercises that are helping me get faster and more accurate. Thought I'd share if it helps you, whether its welcome or not.

You mentioned Paul Gilbert, and its one of the things I practice.

I play Technical difficulties to warm up, and then Marty Friedman's part of Concerto from Cacophony.

Even at 50% speed these sound great, and just gotta metronome it up bit by bit. Each week, try to up it by 10% speed if you can. Any progress is good progress.

My buddy who's pretty sick at guitar and can play just about anything, explained to me that its hugely about muscle memory, and to program what you want to play, exaggerate your movements and let your wrist carry on further than it needs to before coming back up to alternate. Once your muscle memory starts really noting the pattern, tighten her up and try to get it faster.

I switched to these Jim Dunlop Jazz III picks, and its nuts how for me they've made me use my wrist a lot more. I had a huge problem with trying to play using my forearm and elbow. Sometimes I prefer to use bigger picks to scrape the strings and get good meaty rhythm going on, but the Jazz III's are what I use when practicing and putting all of my effort into getting better / learning.

Personally I prefer to stay away from hybrid picking, and even hammerons and pulloffs when I can avoid them, just rathering the sound when just about everything is picked.

Favorite artists: Megadeth, Paul Gilbert, Iron Maiden, Municipal Waste, Razor, Bucket and Bootsy.

I look forward to reading more in this thread. Every bit helps. Thanks everyone else for tips. Peace.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:44 AM   #45
steven seagull
not really a seagull

I have to say your buddy's got it ass-backward - it's far easier and more efficient to teach yourself how to do something the right way from the outset rather than learn it wrong then re-learn it which is plain ******ed.

Control is everything in guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Old 12-21-2009, 09:30 AM   #46
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

Exaggerating picking patterns seems totally logical to me if you have a particularly tricky one, provided you remember to tighten it up and shrink it once you've got it. I've done it occasionally and I know its worked for others here.

Rate This Thread: