Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-18-2010, 04:16 PM   #81
srob7001

Just hard wire it and be done with all this quick connect crap.

My set was all quick connect and it was such a pain in the ass, so I had it all soldered except for the pick up it self. leave that one and then you can always swap a new EMG in without having to un-solder anything.
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
srob7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:10 PM   #82
Mad Marius

What about this Zakk Wylde pro set? How it it any different from just an 81 and an 85, it seems to cost the same?

By the way, nice thread, very informative and all that.

Last edited by Mad Marius : 03-18-2010 at 08:12 PM.
Mad Marius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:48 PM   #83
zakkwyldefan79
Retired GB&C Mod

There is nothing special about the Zakk Wylde set anymore. It's just the regular 81 and 85 pickups. The older Zakk Wylde sets came with 2 sets of pots, long shaft and short shaft. Now it only comes with one set.
zakkwyldefan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:30 PM   #84
SomeoneYouKnew
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakkwyldefan79
There is nothing special about the Zakk Wylde set anymore. It's just the regular 81 and 85 pickups. The older Zakk Wylde sets came with 2 sets of pots, long shaft and short shaft. Now it only comes with one set.
But it says Zakk Wylde on the package!
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
SomeoneYouKnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:26 AM   #85
s3r3nitys33k3r3

I have an active single coil in the neck of my guitar, as well as the middle position. I recently adjusted the height of them and changed the springs that where in place.

Now the neck one squeels when any gain is added, but the middle on is still fine. What might be wrong, or what can i check?
s3r3nitys33k3r3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:38 PM   #86
Mad Marius

So where would EMGs be best suited? I have the option of putting them in either a Les Paul or a HSH Strat (which i'll be converting to HH anyway).
Old 03-21-2010, 12:52 PM   #87
JamesLPs
UG's only ununique person

I would say it depends on which guitar is of worse quality due to pre-amp ( but also to which you're more likely to do shred on)

BTW: I have the ZW set Haven't installed yet.

HELLO!

JamesLPs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:56 PM   #88
Mad Marius

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesLPs
I would say it depends on which guitar is of worse quality due to pre-amp ( but also to which you're more likely to do shred on)

I'm afraid I'm not following. What does the quality of the guitar have to do with this? Also, it's not necessarily for shredding, it's more for metal.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:00 PM   #89
JamesLPs

Well the pre-amp makes the wood less important as it's already got most if its tone so it doesn't take as much from the wood - and well for chord/rhythm playing i'd use them in the lp, for lead/shread i'd use in strat.

HELLO!

Old 03-21-2010, 04:06 PM   #90
pizzathrash

I have to remove my pickguard everytime i change my batteries. It would be much easier if I could find a sideload battery box(18v), vertical wont fit. where can i find such a thing?
pizzathrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 06:00 PM   #91
JamesLPs

Hello, I'm using the 85 81 solderless emg set and could do with some help.

The diagrams given with emgs are a bit vague..

My main concern is the switch and control buss - mainly about the wires coming from my switch to the buss - has anyone got any advice for me?

What I mainly need to know is when the pickup wires go to the buss does they ground do with the output - if not what do i do with the output?

Hope this helps you help me

HELLO!

Old 05-03-2010, 10:05 AM   #92
thecrusher008

soooo, I've been looking into my options for wiring two EMG 35's into my new bass...I think what I've decided to do is for each pickup have a volume and tone that operates independently, I'm also going to do the 18volt mod.

I'm all set for wiring the volum/pull switches, and I understand how to wire the two batteries in...I could use some help/explanation as to how to connect the two tones to the jack area, as well as how to connect the two pickup outputs???? After looking at some diagrams, I saw a few that had the black wire run from one tone control into the other tone and then into the jack...but does that still allow them to operate independently for their respective pickup??? and then do i just twist the two bridge output wires together??? thanks for the help so much!! sorry if this is general knowledge...I tried hard to learn on my own lol!
thecrusher008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 01:58 AM   #93
gisobon

Hey zakkwyldefan79 I'm thinking of customizing my epiphone LP custom. I'm thinking of changing my pickups into emg actives. Any views on this? Is it worth doing it? My Lp costs round 920 bucks. And I'm thinking of changing into the zw signature set. Any advice?

I love Schecter
gisobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:10 AM   #94
zakkwyldefan79
Retired GB&C Mod

Yeah, it's worth doing. I've got the Zakk set in my Epi goth Explorer and I love them. I also think you should do the 18v mod. The new sets are solderless so it should be pretty easy to install them. If you have any problems just post here and we'll try to figure them out.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:09 PM   #95
charles_ebarb
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakkwyldefan79
The 18 Volt Mod:

This mod works for EMG's but not Seymour Duncan Blackouts. The Chief Engineer, Kevin Beller, Says that Blackouts will not be harmed using 18-volts, but the preamp is designed to provide all of the awesomeness at 9 volts. This mod does work on Seymour Duncan Livewire pickups (wiring diagrams on SD's site confirm this).

What you really need:

9 Volt battery clip
9 Volt battery
Wire strippers
Electrical tape or shrink tubing
Soldering Iron

Standard 18v Mod:
What to do:
Make sure you have enough room in your cavity for two batteries!
1. Disconnect 9 volt battery.
2. Desolder the black wire where it's circled.
3. Connect the black wire of your new clip to the lug on the jack where the black wire was.
4. Connect the red wire of your new clip to the black wire of your old clip.
5. Insulate with electrical tape or shrink tubing.
6. Attach two new 9 volt batteries, put the cover back on and enjoy.

Reversible 18v Mod:
You can also do this mod without modding your current wiring at all. To do it this way you'll need 3 more battery clips. Wire the black wire from clip #2 to the red wire from clip #1. Wire the red wire from clip #2 to the black wire from clip #3. Wire the red wire from clip #3 to the black wire from clip #1. Tape or use shrink tubing on all connections. Then snap clip #1 to your original clip already in your guitar. Then connect the batteries to clips #2 & #3 and you're done. See pic below.

Wiring with Switch:
(Switch position in picture indicates 9 volt position)

Also, you can use a DPDT to put the two batteries in parallel for equal battery life when in 9V mode.
Here's how to wire it.

ok, with this mod, is it safe with the PA-2 pre-amp? and secondly, what does this mod do, exactly, in terms of sound?
charles_ebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:17 PM   #96
charles_ebarb
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesLPs

from what I understand, the quality of the guitar has NOTHING to do with changing out pups. Putting EMG's in a "synsonic's" brand guitar is fine, as long as you intend on spending the money to mod such a guitar. But, in earnest, most people would actually spend the money to mod such a guitar, but the mods DO, in fact, make the guitar a better guitar, in terms of sound and performance-wise. So, long story short, upgrading a shit-sounding guitar is the best way to make it better! =)
charles_ebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 03:14 PM   #97
zakkwyldefan79
Retired GB&C Mod

charles_ebarb, It is safe to the 18v mod with the PA-2. As far as how it changes the sound, it's kinda hard to explain. It just makes them sound a little more like a passive pickup. Some people say "organic". I think it helps the cleans on the 85 the most. You should try it using this method.

That way, if you don't like it, it's easy to switch back. It's easy and cheap. Trying it yourself is really the only way to find out if YOU like it or not.

Last edited by zakkwyldefan79 : 08-04-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:17 PM   #98
natehimself
UG's Brootz Guy

hey got anymore info on those guitarheads pickups???

they seem like a good alternative for my broke ass! lmao

Peavey Triple X Head
Mahieu 4x12 Cab (celestion g12t-75)
Gibson Vixen
Schecter C-1 Classic
Various Pedals, and Guitars.
natehimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:20 PM   #99
zakkwyldefan79
Retired GB&C Mod

natehimself, buy some of those guitarheads pickups and let us know what you think.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:20 PM   #100
kiaba94

hey! i was thinking about putting emg 81 and 85 in my gfs explorer that im making sexy. does this sound like a good idea? or does anyone have a better suggestion? also whats up with all this quick connect stuff? seems like the pup would just pull off mid performance if u got to br00tal or something... idk but i only trust hard wiring..... can anyone vouch for quick connect?
kiaba94 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: