Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-03-2010, 05:48 PM   #1
super_mike

HELP!!!! How far should my strings be from fret board? How high should my bridge be?

I just restringed my guitar, and now it sounds like crap.

I now get this buzzing sound and it angers me

The space between the fretboard and the strings is way too close near the first fret and way too high on the upper frets...should my bridge be lowered as much as possible?? I know these are silly questions but I've already restringed it twice and I'm tired of purchsaing strings and when it's all said and done it sounds bad...what the crap am I doing wrong??
Is the buzzing sound because of my stupid bridge height or some other underlying problem, I don't recall it being there before.

Thanks!

edit: it only buzzes when I hit open strings.
When I say the strings are too close near the first fret, I only think this because when I play bar chords on the first fret it sounds off..maybe I'm just crazy. I honestly don't know if it's me or the guitar at this point!

Last edited by super_mike : 01-03-2010 at 05:52 PM.
super_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:53 PM   #2
tr3nt
is your mom

Your action is too low I'd guess.
Try raising your bridge, but not so far that it's uncomfortable to play.

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
tr3nt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:00 PM   #3
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

You should raise your bridge high enough that you are able to cleanly play everything you want to play without buzz or problems while it still being comfortbale to play on. Generally speaking the best idea is to start by working out how low you can go without getting fret buzz - then gradually raise it until you get to a point where the height hindres your playing, then put it back down to where it was just before it started to negatively effect your playing. This way you ensure there won't be any technical problems with your string height while also being able to play to the maximum of your ability.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:01 PM   #4
Snap017
UGs...Snap?

I used to have this on my Omen-6, and it was because the neck was dead flat to the strings. Normally your guitar's neck is supposed to curve forward just a LITTLE TEENY TINY BIT. This makes it so the first few frets don't buzz.

1) Adjust your truss rod.
2) After adjusting, leave it for a bit so the new bend will set in.
3) Lower bridge to accomodate the new action.
4) Re-tune.
5) ?????
6) Profit.

Snap017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:19 PM   #5
super_mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snap017
I used to have this on my Omen-6, and it was because the neck was dead flat to the strings. Normally your guitar's neck is supposed to curve forward just a LITTLE TEENY TINY BIT. This makes it so the first few frets don't buzz.

1) Adjust your truss rod.
2) After adjusting, leave it for a bit so the new bend will set in.
3) Lower bridge to accomodate the new action.
4) Re-tune.
5) ?????
6) Profit.

lol

tbh I've never touched the truss rod and I've heard in other threads here that it has nothing to do with buzz and that I could mess something up if I don't know what I'm doing...but I did just go to my local music store and he said to bring my guitar in and maybe the truss rod needs to be adjusted.

I got some strings anyway and though I'd mess with it a little first.
I'm gonna take the other guys advise and lower it as much as possible, then gradually raise the action until it becomes uncomftorable. I doubt it's anything to do with the truss rod, it's probably a user error. The guitar sounded great before I restringed it and messed with the bridge height.

anyway...i'll try screwing around and see how it goes. will report back. thanks for the replies all.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:23 PM   #6
Snap017
UGs...Snap?

DON'T TURN THE TRUSS ROD TOO MANY TIMES WHEN IT DOESN'T IMMEDIATELY ADJUST. For a little tiny forward bend just turn it a LITTLE bit. If you crank down on it you WILL crack your neck and your guitar WILL turn into one expensive paperweight.

Snap017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:35 PM   #7
super_mike

well problem solved, mostly.

I pretty much had the bridge way too high before I guess. It's now only about 1/2 a cm above the guitar compared to about 1.5cm originally. The buzzing still exists but it's not too noticeable and not coming through the amp so I don't care enough to worry about it.

TBH I'm a newb with the technical aspect of the guitar so this has been a learning experience, which is really the only way to learn I guess is by your mistakes.

thanks for all the replies.

Rate This Thread: