Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-16-2010, 11:52 PM   #1
HolyYetti
Rochelle, Rochelle

Unwanted static

All right, so I've just set up my laptop with audacity, I've managed to plug my amp into my laptop via the speaker output, and using an adapter on a cable to allow it to be plugged in to the microphone input on my laptop. I've set my audacity preferences to record the "line in" sound, and it's doing it's job. The only problem is that there is always running static behind everything I'm trying to record.
How can I get rid of/minimize the amount of static being recorded, so that my recordings dont sound like complete shit?
Old 01-16-2010, 11:59 PM   #2
huskyplayer

i had the same problem but i fixed it with a better/longer cable...thts all i can tell you
huskyplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 12:01 AM   #3
HolyYetti
Rochelle, Rochelle

Hmm I'll give that a shot, any other suggestions people?
Old 01-17-2010, 12:04 AM   #4
hereticfallen

You could try a gate vst.
hereticfallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 12:07 AM   #5
Crazyxadamx

If you are using single coil pickups or just cheap humbucker's it may just be natural electrical static coming off the laptop, try playing further away.
Crazyxadamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 12:09 AM   #6
ethan_hanus
The BKP Guy

Problem number one: Your using Audacity, its horrible, get at minimum a DAW, such as Reaper.
Problem number two: Your going guitar into mic input, your soundcard is not designed to convert a guitar signal efficiently, thus, horrible sound quality and insane buzz.
Problem number three: Your using Audacity.
Problem number four: You need a preamp or an interface before you can send it to your computer, something thats line level, otherwise, your getting a lousy sound quality, and it causes your CPU to run harder, and running your CPU at 100% is very bad for it, you can fry it that way. And it can also fry your sound card if your guitar is too high output or you use a pedal in the chain.

Take my advice and read up on the stickies at the top of this form.

EDIT: Wait, your using the speaker out on your amp and recording it into your soundcard?!?!?!

DO NOT DO THAT, YOU WILL FRY YOUR SOUNDCARD!!!!

Last edited by ethan_hanus : 01-17-2010 at 12:12 AM.
ethan_hanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 12:17 AM   #7
HolyYetti
Rochelle, Rochelle

Good advice, duly noted
I just don't really feel like dishing out money for a recording program as I don't really know where this is going exactly, but I'll check out a preamps/interfaces and read more of the stickies
Thank you sir
Old 01-17-2010, 12:20 AM   #8
ethan_hanus
The BKP Guy

Reaper is completly free, which is why I and most of UG use it, and it is a very good DAW.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:39 AM   #9
Kid_Thorazine
Registered Sadist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyYetti
All right, so I've just set up my laptop with audacity, I've managed to plug my amp into my laptop via the speaker output, and using an adapter on a cable to allow it to be plugged in to the microphone input on my laptop. I've set my audacity preferences to record the "line in" sound, and it's doing it's job. The only problem is that there is always running static behind everything I'm trying to record.
How can I get rid of/minimize the amount of static being recorded, so that my recordings dont sound like complete shit?

That was tupi, ou can blow your amp. Also usig any kind of adapter>built in soundcard setup is going to resut in noise, get a recording interface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan_hanus
Reaper is completly free, which is why I and most of UG use it, and it is a very good DAW.

No it isn't it has an unrestrced demo, but if you use it for longer than the registration perod yo're supposed to pay the (extremely modest license fee)

Last.fm

Last edited by Kid_Thorazine : 01-17-2010 at 12:41 AM.
Kid_Thorazine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 12:43 AM   #10
HolyYetti
Rochelle, Rochelle

Okay so what if I plug the speaker input from my amp into a mixer and then the mixer into my laptop, is that any better or is at just as stupid?
Old 01-17-2010, 12:46 AM   #11
ethan_hanus
The BKP Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyYetti
Okay so what if I plug the speaker input from my amp into a mixer and then the mixer into my laptop, is that any better or is at just as stupid?

Its not as stupid, but still fairly stupid, you'll blow the sound board. Dont use your speaker out to record, that jack is specificly only for adding a Speaker Cab to your amp, it has a very high output that most equipment can't handle, only speakers, unless you get a load box, that would be your only solution if you want to use the speaker out.

Either get a interface and a mic, or a load box and a DI box.

^ Yes, Reaper is supposed to cost money, but I've been using the evaluation version for over 250 days, still havent forked out a dime.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:50 AM   #12
HolyYetti
Rochelle, Rochelle

All righty, I'll look at getting a mic and interface
I'll check out Reaper too
Old 01-17-2010, 12:58 AM   #13
Kid_Thorazine
Registered Sadist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan_hanus

^ Yes, Reaper is supposed to cost money, but I've been using the evaluation version for over 250 days, still havent forked out a dime.

Yeah, you'd might as well just illegally download Cubase or something if you're going to do that though, as you'd be doing essentially the same thing.

Last.fm
Kid_Thorazine is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: