Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-23-2010, 08:12 PM   #1
OldBrownShoe09

Squier Telecaster Special w/ Pics

Hey, this is my first post and I joined today bc I bought a new electric...after selling off a crappy Ibanez strat copy, a Mexican Fender Strat sunburst, and a 1978 Gibson THE Paul I finally came back to the electric...

I've been searching for a Squier Telecaster with the dark walnut finish and searching for weeks on craigslist expecting never to find it I FOUND ONE! FOR $100 bucks!...the thing is flawless...it screams and the tones are 1000% better than any of my previous guitars...its a discontinued model? and/or color...Ill post a few pics...I am looking to emulate George Harrison's Let It Be roof concert Telecaster..the rosewood one...mines not rosewood but its in the same vein color wise, just need to add a black pickguard and ill be on my way...thinking about keeping the electronics as is for now and staining the headstock to match the body...thoughts?..Im just trying to emulate not duplicate..

Another crazy thing about craigslist is that sometimes there are crazy guitars for very cheap...not that the Tele is a crazy guitar...but I replyed to a listing that said a 1960s Fender Telecaster and a 1960s Gibson guitar with a bird on it for sale...$100 for the Tele and $75 for the Gibson!!!...I jumped all over it and asked for pics and description but she never got back to me, said her uncle had left them behind from the 60s...a week later they were listed for $3000 each...someone either smartened her up or she got 100000 emails and figured it out herself...so just look out for those kind of deals in your town..

EDIT : I know selling the Mex and the 78 sounds dumb but I sold them like 5 years ago when I had some issues...I would take this guitar over both of em anyways...I bought the THE PAUL from a bum for $25 at Home Depot and it ended up being worth around $800...sold it for $400 and change...anyone else played a THE PAUL not a Les Paul...

EDIT 2 : For some reason the pics didnt come over so I just took some more...I name my guitars so the Tele is named Abbey and the Hofner is named Loretta...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg abbey4.jpg (48.6 KB, 210 views)
File Type: jpg abbey5.jpg (38.6 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg abbey6.jpg (51.2 KB, 115 views)

Last edited by OldBrownShoe09 : 01-23-2010 at 08:29 PM. Reason: add pics
OldBrownShoe09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:15 PM   #2
diceksox1809
The Afterman

Happy new guitar day, but you may want to refer to the NGD sticky at the top of the Electric Guitar Forum page, because to post a NGD, you need pictures and a reveiw, but since you are new, they may let it slide, but you can work around it an make this NGD thread work.
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
diceksox1809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:18 PM   #3
OldBrownShoe09

Thank you!.....so many rules...I had posted this same thread but in the wrong place and it wont let me repost the pics...im trying to download new ones...only take a minute or two...Im a newbie...sorry..

Last edited by OldBrownShoe09 : 01-23-2010 at 08:18 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 01-23-2010, 08:24 PM   #4
OldBrownShoe09

Heres one, pic...loading more..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg abbey2.jpg (60.6 KB, 380 views)
File Type: jpg abbey3.jpg (61.6 KB, 90 views)
Old 01-23-2010, 08:34 PM   #5
jj1565
Officially Knighted

Location: NewYork ............................... Hot Chick guitahh playah ~~teh sexay
nice pic, add some reviews too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
jj1565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:11 PM   #6
OldBrownShoe09

Slamming into a A7 sends chills down my spine as the opening chord of Sgt. Pepper screams out of the amp sitting at my feet, I head into the following riff and repeat the same startling A7 chord and bust into the C7 plus riff and belt out, " It was 20 years ago today!"...The late sixties sound is bouncing off the walls in my room, knocking down paintings, killing cats!...The axe responsible for this mayhem is none other than a Squier Telecaster Standard Special Edition in "Walnut Satin" though I would call the hue more of a deep reddish mahogany. After years of dispising the brand and even Fenders as a whole I've come to my senses. I had a bad experience with a Mexican Fender Strat a few years back and it left a bad taste in my mouth bc of dull tones and frustration with the beast. I was guitar free for quite a few years until I got the itch again and started researching to make a purchase. I loved the custom rosewood Telecaster George Harrison played during the rooftop concert for Let It Be and it absolutely mesmerized me, I had to have IT, or something comparable.

During my research I found that I don't have the funds to procure a real rosewood Tele and definitely not rich enough to buy Harrison's exact Tele thats on auction for $40,000. I end up finding the Squier Standard Telecaster in Walnut Satin, obviously inspired by George's rosewood and I just had to have it. A online guitar site had it online for $229 but there was only one problem, it was discontinued!...Long story short I find a version of the guitar by Squier on craigslist at a steal for $100 and it was in prestine condition. Now onto the real review.

I am not much a guitar tech or guitar head and I couldn't tell you much of anything except for things I know from looking at the guitar from the exterior but here's my attempt at sounding competent. Okay the Tele has a dual humbucking pickup at the bridge that sounds Fing great and a regular single coil I believe at the base of the neck. I fooled around with the 3 settings and if I had to explain the tones in the terms of Beatle songs I would say the first position will give you a basic almost acoustic like Blackbird sound. Position 2 gives me a I Me Mine sharpness but a little funk thrown in. Lastly the 3rd position i've gone over...start jamming a A7 and you got yourself the opening of Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band. Bottem line the guitar can rip any kind of tune you would like rock, funk, blues, country ect.

The finish is a matte dark stain that the seller likened to maroon but I would call it a reddish mahogany if that makes sense. The stain is solid like and full but at the same time showing some beautiful wood grains beneath. The neck I believe has a maple back with a black skunk stripe but the fret board is rosewood that I can live with but I'm not impressed with. The headstock as you can see from the pics is a natural unglossed color that claims the guitar is a Squier Telecaster Standard Series, bc of color and lack of pickguard it is considered a Special Edition also avaliable in Black.

Okay I'm getting called for dinner, if any other info is needed i'll provide it but this is all I can think of for a review right now, bc the review was manditory I guess....She is one heavy SOB though I can tell you that, maybe thats why they brought back the thin lines bc it was knocking over those old rockers. Being a young buck I don't mind it but I'll probably pay for it with back problems in my 60s....Okay gotta jet...out of 10 I would give her a 7.5 based on the total package...others might disagree or may have a different criteria for judging but this is just my humble opinion...enjoy...I would recommend it to everyone...
Old 01-23-2010, 09:55 PM   #7
Ippon
Amped

This page needs pics that are actually displayed!

Fender CS Rosewood Tele:

George and his Rosewood Tele:

One of 2 MII Squier Telecaster Special ($90 close-out price at GC):

Old 01-23-2010, 10:23 PM   #8
OldBrownShoe09

yeah their totally different guitars...but I like the scheme of it and Im not rich...congrats on the $90 deal...I would of payed more if I knew the guitar sounded as good as it did..enjoy yours and if you think its a piece of shite thats your opinion and you can throw yours out for all i care...I like mine but it wont be my last guitar...I just needed an electric and I got the one I wanted for half of what I had in my pocket on that day...sorry if im sounding like a dick but people have been jerk offs to me on this site so far ( not in this particular thread ) and I cant tell if your picking on me or not....if not sorry
Old 01-23-2010, 10:26 PM   #9
jj1565
Officially Knighted

Location: NewYork ............................... Hot Chick guitahh playah ~~teh sexay
nah, he's a good guy. just saying to show the guitar pic. here, ya go.

here's the TSs guitar!!!

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...achmentid=86209

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
jj1565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:07 PM   #10
OldBrownShoe09

thanks...go Yanks..
Old 01-23-2010, 11:58 PM   #11
Ippon
Amped

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBrownShoe09
yeah their totally different guitars...but I like the scheme of it and Im not rich...congrats on the $90 deal...I would of payed more if I knew the guitar sounded as good as it did..enjoy yours and if you think its a piece of shite thats your opinion and you can throw yours out for all i care...I like mine but it wont be my last guitar...I just needed an electric and I got the one I wanted for half of what I had in my pocket on that day...sorry if im sounding like a dick but people have been jerk offs to me on this site so far ( not in this particular thread ) and I cant tell if your picking on me or not....if not sorry
Where did I mention it was a piece of shit? You mentioned Harrison and his Rosewood Tele, so I posted pics that I had.

TBH, don't let any dingaling jerk-offs bother you. And if they picked on you, so what?

Hi Jen!

Old 01-24-2010, 12:05 AM   #12
OldBrownShoe09

sorry...I just came back over here from reading a bunch of BS some people wrote on a different thread I had to delete...I just took your good gesture wrong...thank you for posting all the George Rosewood pics...appreciate it bc its a GREAT guitar and not enough people know about it...it usually wouldn't bother me...its just the first day I'm posting and I've been a reader of this forum for a while and didn't expect people to be that rude...thank you for being cool...appreciate it...
Old 01-24-2010, 12:12 AM   #13
Ippon
Amped

Cool! I posted the close-out of that model in 6 or 8 threads about 2 years ago. It has awesome specs, very similar features as the Fender Tele, except for the H-S PU config.

I might mod it to look like a Tuxedo Tele: Black with White binding, refinished Black neck with binding, etc.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:23 AM   #14
OldBrownShoe09

Nice...why do you think Squier got rid of it?...from what I read a lot of people like that guitar and that finish on the normal Telecaster Standard but their unavaliable now...makes it sort of a hot item so I'm not sure why they are getting sold on the cheap...

Tuxedo Tele eh?..just looked it up looks pretty sick...if your into it that would be a good project...Im not a huge fan of my fret board so if its possible I might refinish or swap out for something a tad bit nicer...Might go with a lighter colored wood...originally I was going to throw on a black pick guard but after having it in hand I'm not going to do it...

do they make like chrome pickup covers?...something to make the pickups a little classier looking...

Rate This Thread: