Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Blues & Jazz
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-28-2010, 04:50 AM   #1
sir jacko

SRV not a good guitarist....

Hi Guys!

I'm looking for some material where people (a credible source i.e book, magazine etc) have said that SRV isn't such a great guitarist, and is over rated-or something along these lines. This is only because every book I read is singing his praises, which is good, (he's my fav guitarist lol!) but bad for dissertation :-\

Cheers!
Old 01-28-2010, 05:06 AM   #2
Darkkon

SRV isn't such a great guitarist, and is over rated.

Use me as a source?
Old 01-28-2010, 05:18 AM   #3
AeolianWolf
Tonal Vigilante

he's a great guitarist in the sense that hendrix was a great guitarist.

they were pioneers, but compare them to guitarists of today, and...well, you see where this is going.

xbox gamertag: Aeolion
psid: Blackwindsamurai (holy **** i want a shorter one)
AeolianWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:19 AM   #4
shwilly
Strictly Controversial

I know I've heard people say something in a similar fashion yeah, or they compared him with other guitarists who were obviously better. Can't think of an example though

Would you rather have a source stating something about his limited technique, or about his overal style not being the most original or something like that

NL
5 - 1 Spain
NL
3 - 2 Australia
NL
2 - 0 Chile
NL
2 - 1 Mexico
NL
0 - 0 Costa Rica (4-3)
NL
0 - 0 Argentina (2-4)
NL 3 - 0 7-1zɐɹq

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
shwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:20 AM   #5
beau05
UG Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeolianWolf

they were pioneers, but compare them to guitarists of today, and...well, you see where this is going.

imO, he could outphrase alot of modern day guitarists

again, it's mostly based on the opinion of the listener
beau05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:35 AM   #6
carmour

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeolianWolf

Really? I think he was pretty derivative and not really comparable to hendrix
carmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:45 AM   #7
AeolianWolf
Tonal Vigilante

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau05
imO, he could outphrase alot of modern day guitarists

again, it's mostly based on the opinion of the listener

whereas you are right about that, he himself is easily outphrased by david gilmour. that is my answer to that statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmour
Really? I think he was pretty derivative and not really comparable to hendrix

i wasn't comparing his style to that of hendrix directly, but, rather, i said that they are comparable in that they were both pioneers. though SRV was in a slightly later time frame than hendrix.

they were excellent guitarists in their day. personally, i don't like either of them much, but their contributions to modern guitar-oriented music simply cannot be ignored. i wouldn't say they're not good guitarists; they're just obsolete, for lack of a better word.

xbox gamertag: Aeolion
psid: Blackwindsamurai (holy **** i want a shorter one)
AeolianWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:32 AM   #8
carmour

Yeah, i wasn't talking about in style. I'm talking about in influence and originality. I struggle to find an original idea on par with any of Hendrix's stuff in anything SRV has done (bar Lenny). It all sounds like Hendrix or Albert King to me..

I don't hate him, I just think he's massively over-rated

Last edited by carmour : 01-28-2010 at 06:34 AM.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:28 AM   #9
Goldenad

sir jacko, i dont have any source but a lot of people will agree that many of SRVs riffs are simply expansions(and sometimes blatant ripoffs) of earlier blues guitarists like albert king. however, a lot of times this is just what the blues is, so take that for what its worth. guitarists are always retooling old riffs and making them their own
Goldenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:04 PM   #10
Blind In 1 Ear
Git-Man

Quote:
Yeah, i wasn't talking about in style. I'm talking about in influence and originality. I struggle to find an original idea on par with any of Hendrix's stuff in anything SRV has done (bar Lenny). It all sounds like Hendrix or Albert King to me..

I don't hate him, I just think he's massively over-rated

i hear that kind of thing a lot and i agree to an extent. he does have that albert king and hendrix influence big time. but imo, it doesnt really sound like them at all. when he does licks in their style, he sounds like HIM. he had a very unique tone and style of phrasing. if you dont think he did, just look at the "stevie clones" on youtube. they never say they sound like hendrix or albert king, they call them stevie clones. but i mean, you could say that about just about every player. everyone has their influences that come out in their playing. if you wanna bring it back to jimi, he was pretty much a buddy guy clone.

but honestly, i think anyone who is considered the best ever is over-rated. he was clearly very good. a very clean player with a great tone and great vibrato.

TS, i cant think of anything in a magazine or a famous person saying that kind of stuff. you probably wont because no one in the publice eye wants to down talk a legend. but ive heard many people in every day life who say these kinds of things. the only one ive ever read in a mag was when they were talking about his time with bowie. i think it was the producer or something who said "i didnt get it. i thought he sounded like albert king. i said if you wanted that sound, why not just get albert king. at least people would know who he was." or something along those lines. in the end he said that "he got it" after they recorded some tracks.

check out my youtube page for some songs.
Blind In 1 Ear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:44 PM   #11
RubberSoul54321
UG's Train Wreck

Dan Aurbach, The Black Keys:

"Stevie Ray Vaughan was a bloated coke head and his music was boring." As quoted in Total Guitar magazine a couple of years back.

"I won't waste my love on a nation" BRMC

My Band, RedEye:

http://redeyeband.weebly.com/
RubberSoul54321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:13 PM   #12
carmour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind In 1 Ear
i hear that kind of thing a lot and i agree to an extent. he does have that albert king and hendrix influence big time. but imo, it doesnt really sound like them at all. when he does licks in their style, he sounds like HIM. he had a very unique tone and style of phrasing. if you dont think he did, just look at the "stevie clones" on youtube. they never say they sound like hendrix or albert king, they call them stevie clones. but i mean, you could say that about just about every player. everyone has their influences that come out in their playing. if you wanna bring it back to jimi, he was pretty much a buddy guy clone.

Personally, I disagree with the idea that Hendrix was pretty much a Buddy Guy clone. When did Buddy Guy EVER write anything equivalent to Little Wing, Angel, Hey Baby, 1983 a Merman I shall Be, Voodoo Child, Have you ever been to electric ladyland, Bold As Love, Machine Gun, Third Stone From The Sun. To me, Hendrix's playing has FAR more scope than anything Buddy Guy ever came up with. Sure, he was influenced by him and took a page from his book in stage antics and lead playing, but Hendrix's lyrics and song arrangements were far more original and groundbreaking than anything SRV or Buddy Guy ever managed to do.

And yeah, obviously ever blues guitar player is standing on the shoulders of the players before them, that's part of the genre, I just personally think the extent to which SRV copied was pretty massive. Lack of originality aside, even on a pure guitar playing level, his constant raking tone does nothing for me, but I find he plays a lot better on his more original stuff like Lenny and Riveria Paradise

Last edited by carmour : 01-28-2010 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:31 PM   #13
stratoclap

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberSoul54321

"Stevie Ray Vaughan was a bloated coke head and his music was boring." As quoted in Total Guitar magazine a couple of years back.

Wow that's a ridiculous person to say that. To me about 80% of Black Keys sounds sounds the same.
stratoclap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:31 AM   #14
Blind In 1 Ear
Git-Man

Quote:
Personally, I disagree with the idea that Hendrix was pretty much a Buddy Guy clone. When did Buddy Guy EVER write anything equivalent to Little Wing, Angel, Hey Baby, 1983 a Merman I shall Be, Voodoo Child, Have you ever been to electric ladyland, Bold As Love, Machine Gun, Third Stone From The Sun. To me, Hendrix's playing has FAR more scope than anything Buddy Guy ever came up with. Sure, he was influenced by him and took a page from his book in stage antics and lead playing, but Hendrix's lyrics and song arrangements were far more original and groundbreaking than anything SRV or Buddy Guy ever managed to do.

im not talking about his song writing at all, i dont think anyone is talking about songwriting. i thought we were talking about guitar playing. if you want to talk about songwriting though, what has SRV made that sounds like hendrix? SRV was pretty pure blues and didnt sound anything like hendrix imo. im not saying his songs were better or more groundbreaking than jimi's, im talking about how they played guitar. to me, when i hear SRV i never think of hendrix. even when i first heard him. even now, i really dont hear much similarity in playing style. some licks here and there maybe. but those licks can be traced back further than hendrix so its not really a valid point.
Quote:
And yeah, obviously ever blues guitar player is standing on the shoulders of the players before them, that's part of the genre, I just personally think the extent to which SRV copied was pretty massive. Lack of originality aside, even on a pure guitar playing level, his constant raking tone does nothing for me, but I find he plays a lot better on his more original stuff like Lenny and Riveria Paradise

name some examples. because other than the albert king stuff which he pretty much plays note for note, i cant think of who else he is copying. i wouldnt even call it copying rather just being influenced.

but if you jst dont like his tone, oh well. ill give you this though, SRV pretty much stuck to his licks. he knew what he could do and did it well. kinda like clapton with ceam. he was great, but he stuck with what he knew. i think hendrix explored more with his playing. and if we want to copare someone to SRV around the same time period, i think jeff healey was probably better both in terms of technical skill and "originality" if you wanna call it that. eric johnson id say is another although hes not really a blues player.

check out my youtube page for some songs.
Blind In 1 Ear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:45 AM   #15
sir jacko

Quote:

This is a real stab in the dark but, do you know what issue? Thanks for your help guys, keep it coming!
Old 01-29-2010, 12:40 PM   #16
RubberSoul54321
UG's Train Wreck

Can't remember but I'll see if I can find it.

My Band, RedEye:

Old 01-29-2010, 12:41 PM   #17
RubberSoul54321
UG's Train Wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratoclap
Wow that's a ridiculous person to say that. To me about 80% of Black Keys sounds sounds the same.

I won't even dignify that with a defence.

My Band, RedEye:

Old 01-30-2010, 07:29 AM   #18
sir jacko

Quote:
Originally Posted by fretboard12
well does this count that's buddy guy he didn't seem to pleased about stevie.

but i tell ya, people should really stop putting guitarist against each other like prize fighters.
cause that's not what they are or any of us for that matter. im sure that some of you have had people pit you against someone else in your home town just because they thought you were better than them.

they are all unique in there on way just like anybody else.

Thanks for this! It will come in very handy, seems wierd that he reacted like that considering all he's said before..
Old 01-30-2010, 07:32 AM   #19
Melodic_Rocker
Registered Loser

Quote:

Who ever this Dan fellow is, he's pretty much right on the money.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:19 PM   #20
Zoot Allures
UG's Contrarian

Quote:

He's a moron if he really said that.

〘◣_◢〙 Broken Clocks, click 'help i'm a rock'
HELP I'M A ROCK!

My Blog:
http://jackoswritings.wordpress.com//

A fan of whisk(e)y? Click here!
Zoot Allures is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: