Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Blues & Jazz
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-30-2010, 07:05 PM   #21
yelad93
Unregistered User

Generally, if someone talented dies young (ie: Hendrix, SRV, Rhoads) they are boosted up in general opinion of skill. Im not saying, however, that they were not amazingly talented (Randy Rhoads is one of my favorite guitarists), but just that people seem to think them higher in skill than the alive ones of equal caliber.

Line 6 Spider IV 75w

Digitech Whammy Pedal

Dunlop Crybaby

Boss DS-1

Ibanez Jumpstart Metal Guitar

Ibanez Jumpstart 15w amp
yelad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:48 PM   #22
carmour

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir jacko
Thanks for this! It will come in very handy, seems wierd that he reacted like that considering all he's said before..

I very much doubt it was said with any ill intent against SRV, I'd guess he was just pissed off at the lack of respect for blues lineage. Or just the over hyping of SRV after his death..
carmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:41 PM   #23
carmour

I'm not talking about players here, I'm talking about general fans of the music..
Old 01-30-2010, 11:36 PM   #24
carmour

Yeah you misunderstood me again bro lolz. Oh wellz I give up
Old 01-31-2010, 02:24 PM   #25
Zoot Allures
UG's Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fretboard12
i can understand that he might think that alot of blues players have a lack of acknowledgment. But everyone from clapton to srv to kieth richards talk about and give
credit to these player's all the time. in fact eric talks about robert johnson and others constantly in interviews.

its just that in that vid he seemed a little strong in his comment which could be took out of meanness very easily. i myself am an srv fan as well as all the others too.

and because of hearing srv made me look into other artist of the blues genre. that i couldn't had told ya they existed before or what they wrote. one in particular willie dixon
and the song's he wrote .

I don't think he disliked stevie though, he's spoke of him very positively in a lot of interviews i've seen.

〘◣_◢〙 Broken Clocks, click 'help i'm a rock'
HELP I'M A ROCK!

My Blog:
http://jackoswritings.wordpress.com//

A fan of whisk(e)y? Click here!
Zoot Allures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:19 PM   #26
Melodic_Rocker
Registered Loser

SRV was about as creative as Chlamydia.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:59 PM   #27
Blind In 1 Ear
Git-Man

Quote:
well does this count that's buddy guy he didn't seem to pleased about stevie.

but i tell ya, people should really stop putting guitarist against each other like prize fighters.
cause that's not what they are or any of us for that matter. im sure that some of you have had people pit you against someone else in your home town just because they thought you were better than them.

they are all unique in there on way just like anybody else.

i think dont think he was saying anything bad about stevie here. he just wanted them to know that it was john lee hooker he was talking about. at least thats what it seemed like to me. all the othe times ive seen buddy talk about stevie he praised him.

check out my youtube page for some songs.
Blind In 1 Ear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:30 PM   #28
tombstonehand

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberSoul54321
Dan Aurbach, The Black Keys:

"Stevie Ray Vaughan was a bloated coke head and his music was boring." As quoted in Total Guitar magazine a couple of years back.

That sums it up pretty good. He was very talented technically, but his music was not interesting in any way. It was the most generic, uninspired caricature of the blues I've ever heard. He's the favorite blues guitarist of people who know nothing about the blues.

Last edited by tombstonehand : 01-31-2010 at 09:32 PM.
tombstonehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:46 AM   #29
Alter-Bridge
Is Enchanted to meet you

Location: Friday night beneath the stars, in a field behind your yard
Quote:
Can't remember but I'll see if I can find it.

It's from the Blues special released in 2006, "Collector's Edition" sort of thing. You won't be able to find it now unless you know someone who has it.

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Alter-Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:13 AM   #30
Carswell98
*heavy sigh*

Quote:
Dan Aurbach, The Black Keys:

"Stevie Ray Vaughan was a bloated coke head and his music was boring." As quoted in Total Guitar magazine a couple of years back.

really? that is hilarious

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Carswell98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:21 AM   #31
sir jacko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter-Bridge
It's from the Blues special released in 2006, "Collector's Edition" sort of thing. You won't be able to find it now unless you know someone who has it.

Cheers, I might know a space cadet or two that will have it!
Old 02-02-2010, 03:35 PM   #32
RubberSoul54321
UG's Train Wreck

I've got it somewhere, I just can't find it atm. If it turns up I'll scan the article and pm it to you.

"I won't waste my love on a nation" BRMC

My Band, RedEye:

http://redeyeband.weebly.com/
RubberSoul54321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:15 PM   #33
Blind In 1 Ear
Git-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombstonehand
That sums it up pretty good. He was very talented technically, but his music was not interesting in any way. It was the most generic, uninspired caricature of the blues I've ever heard. He's the favorite blues guitarist of people who know nothing about the blues.

thats pretty harsh. so basically you think your music is better than everyone elses and your version of the blues is too. stop being an elitist/purist idiot. god i hate purists. "this is blues, that isnt". give me a ****ing break.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:14 PM   #34
tombstonehand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind In 1 Ear
thats pretty harsh. so basically you think your music is better than everyone elses and your version of the blues is too. stop being an elitist/purist idiot. god i hate purists. "this is blues, that isnt". give me a ****ing break.

It's not that I'm a purist, I just think SRV is overrated. His music is extremely bland and generic. There's nothing really special about what he did. Honestly, his music sounds identical to countless other electric Blues artists, so I can't comprehend where the myth that he was the greatest bluesman of all time came from.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:43 PM   #35
carmour

Quote:

How is that 'purist' you described ANY different from a SRV fan boy who thinks that his blues is the best in the world? Seriously. It's the same.

Seriously, I know a few blues purists. You know what's always a common trait between them? They're pretty much ALWAYS awesome players. Shit, I'd watch a so called blues purist over a SRV/ John Mayer clone anyday.

And yeah I second that ^ Tombstonehand post
Old 02-03-2010, 01:17 AM   #36
Blind In 1 Ear
Git-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombstonehand
It's not that I'm a purist, I just think SRV is overrated. His music is extremely bland and generic. There's nothing really special about what he did.
i dont care if you dont like him. what you said was stupid. if someone likes SRV, it has nothing to do with if they know anything about blues or not. tons of players loved him. buddy guy loved him, clapton loved him, BB king loved him, albert king loved him, are you going to say they didnt know anything about blues? its niether here nor there. why bash someones opinion and make it seem like your tastes are somehow better than those who dont share your views? grow up man.

Quote:
Honestly, his music sounds identical to countless other electric Blues artists, so I can't comprehend where the myth that he was the greatest bluesman of all time came from.

really? identical? prove it. let see some examples.

really though, you could say that about any player in any genre. i mean, is hendrix really the best player ever? is vai the best shredder ever? is clapton really god? these people just think SRV was great and to them, he was the best. sure he may not have been the most "original" player, but i like what he did. he may have did albert king licks, but i like the way he did them. is that a crime? you cant help what you like. it has nothing to do with knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmour
How is that 'purist' you described ANY different from a SRV fan boy who thinks that his blues is the best in the world? Seriously. It's the same.

no its not. purists go around telling people that certain players arent "real" blues players and basically think they are better than everyone else. when has a stevie fan ever said anyone else wasnt real blues or that if you didnt like him, you know nothing about blues? i dont agree that SRV was the greatest ever, but i still like him.

anyone who claims thier music is some how better or more "real" is an idiot.

Quote:
Seriously, I know a few blues purists. You know what's always a common trait between them? They're pretty much ALWAYS awesome players. Shit, I'd watch a so called blues purist over a SRV/ John Mayer clone anyday.

And yeah I second that ^ Tombstonehand post

funny that the blues purists ive met do exactly what they bash SRV for: no originality what so ever. the ones ive seen, try so hard to "stay true to the blues" that they never do anything outside of it. not that they dont play well, but its just the same old blues licks we've heard over and over again. really, i dont see how SRV is any more unoriginal than most blues guitarists. besides being original doesnt mean you do something no one has ever done before, it just means doing it your way. which stevie did. want proof? just look at the "stevie clones". SRV obviously had a recognizable style of his own.

EDIT: seriously, your reasons for him not being a good player are weak at best. i mean, really, how many blues songs can you name with a 12 bar? how many blues songs have the standard repeat the first line twice and then resolve with the 3rd line? how many blues songs have 2 verses, a solo, and then another verse and then ends? how many blues players use standard blues licks and the blues scale? how many blues songs are about their woman leaving or having to leave your woman or being in love with a woman. i guess you might as well say every blues player is bland, boring and unoriginal. besides, it has nothing to do with them being good players or not. SRV was a very clean player. he had great technique. like or hate his music, i doubt anyone would say he couldnt play guitar well.

Last edited by Blind In 1 Ear : 02-03-2010 at 01:35 AM.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:41 AM   #37
carmour

zzz, completely missing the point. I imagine we'd be able to talk out this argument in about 10 mins IRL, but I really seem to fail at getting my point across on the internetz
Old 02-03-2010, 05:16 AM   #38
tombstonehand

Quote:
EDIT: seriously, your reasons for him not being a good player are weak at best. i mean, really, how many blues songs can you name with a 12 bar? how many blues songs have the standard repeat the first line twice and then resolve with the 3rd line? how many blues songs have 2 verses, a solo, and then another verse and then ends? how many blues players use standard blues licks and the blues scale? how many blues songs are about their woman leaving or having to leave your woman or being in love with a woman. i guess you might as well say every blues player is bland, boring and unoriginal. besides, it has nothing to do with them being good players or not. SRV was a very clean player. he had great technique. like or hate his music, i doubt anyone would say he couldnt play guitar well.

There is a lot of unoriginality among blues players, especially in the past 50 or so years, but that doesn't mean it's excusable. We should not praise mediocrity.

Mississippi John Hurt, Son House, Lightnin' Hopkins, Furry Lewis, Gary Davis, Blind Lemon Jefferson, and all the other true legends of the blues had instantly recognizable styles. They may have used the I IV V progression and often used the AAB lyric form, but no one would ever mistake a Mississippi John Hurt song with one by Lightnin' Hopkins, or confuse Blind Lemon with Son House. I can't say the same for SRV and most blues-rock players, who seem content to copy licks from the three Kings and act like they're writing a new song.

I will freely admit my biases. I mostly listen to acoustic blues from the 20's, 30's and 40's. With the exception of the first generation of electric blues players I think electric blues is mostly boring, repetitive, recycled crap. Pre-war blues was much more diverse in styles and song-structures (not to say there wasn't a fair share of copying and unoriginal material, because there was), but from the 50's onward blues solidified into a very definite, very strict set of cliches.

I never want to hear another electric blues band do an "original song" based around the boogie shuffle or the stop-time Hoochie Coochie Man lick. I don't want to hear another solo that sounds like a variation on "The Thrill is Gone", or "Stormy Monday", or "Crosscut Saw".

SRV didn't start this problem, but he was one of the main perpetrators. And people like him are the reason the blues is practically a dead art-form now, and the reason why most people think all blues songs sound exactly the same. The blues heard by the general public DOES all sound the same.

I've seen people say that John Mayer (who I bring up because, when he does play blues, is a straight SRV clone) is gonna start a lot of renewed interest in the blues. I don't see it happening. The artists I see getting young people interested in the blues, are Jack White (from the White Stripes and the Raconteurs) and Dan Auerbach (from the Black Keys). The blues has to evolve and diversify if it's gonna stay alive.

Last edited by tombstonehand : 02-03-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:20 AM   #39
BR0KENHEARTED
Banned

Clapton.
BR0KENHEARTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:46 PM   #40
tombstonehand

Quote:
these guys didn't have options they played what was taught to them by traveling musicians. records of blues music was not really, around probably couldn't afford it if they were.

srv, clapton, and all the others had options between different styles and artist of whose records they wanted to play.

as far as originality is concerned there going to sound like there influences anyone is.
even everyone you mentioned will sound some what like the people they learned from.

Lightnin' Hopkins biggest influence was Blind Lemon Jefferson, and they sound nothing alike, except when Lightnin' did covers of Lemon (and even then he put his own spin on things). The point I'm trying to make is, it's normal to have influences, but being a great imitator does not make you a great guitarist. To be a great guitarist you have to have a high level of personal genius. SRV was certainly a good guitarist (ie. he had a high level of skill as a player), but his lack of creativity disqualifies him from being a great guitarist.

Rate This Thread: