Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Blues & Jazz
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-09-2010, 09:31 PM   #61
gnaraaron
tig 'ol bitties

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombstonehand

Assuming that metal shredding is a standard by which anything should be compared shows that you know nothing about music at all. SRV kicks the ass of any shredder, from any time. For all I've said about SRV, he at least played actual music, and he played it very well. Shredding is note-diarrhea, and doesn't take nearly the talent that most novices assume. There's nothing wrong with speed, Django Reinhardt and Lonnie Johnson both played some of the fastest licks I've ever heard, but shred-metal is mindless scale-bashing.

i love me some django

i agree for the most part that shred deffinately isnt very musical (there are a few exceptions)but a majority of the people that want to play shred that arent paul gilbert or someone of that sort seem to lack any distinguishable characteristics in their playing, this is how i feel about SRV, was he a good guitarist? yes, but was his stuff particularly interesting? not really, it really seems quite static, and a majority of the albums he made were pretty static aswell (although lenny, riviera paradise etc were all great tunes)

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
gnaraaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 04:32 AM   #62
Ben_Fussel

I've struggled to learn the blues for a while, and my teacher recommended I learn some Stevie Ray songs...there's a precision in his playing that really lends itself to getting down the fundamentals. I'm about finished with Pride and Joy, it's fun to learn.
Ben_Fussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:37 PM   #63
Blind In 1 Ear
Git-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnaraaron
i love me some django

i agree for the most part that shred deffinately isnt very musical (there are a few exceptions)but a majority of the people that want to play shred that arent paul gilbert or someone of that sort seem to lack any distinguishable characteristics in their playing, this is how i feel about SRV, was he a good guitarist? yes, but was his stuff particularly interesting? not really, it really seems quite static, and a majority of the albums he made were pretty static aswell (although lenny, riviera paradise etc were all great tunes)

in your opinion though. who are you to claim most shred "deffinately isnt very musical"? any music is musical. if you dont like it, that doesnt mean its not musical.

check out my youtube page for some songs.
Blind In 1 Ear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:42 PM   #64
ArnaudJ
Simbad le Marin

It's not just about the technique...

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopsmith666
I sincerely hope one day you look back at this post and realize how ignorant you're being about the concept of getting high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat0blaster
Out of those choices, I'm going to go with the Bastrapple.
ArnaudJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:02 PM   #65
MatthewLeisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeolianWolf
whereas you are right about that, he himself is easily outphrased by david gilmour. that is my answer to that statement.

I can't believe you would compare SRV and David Gilmour.
MatthewLeisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:14 PM   #66
AeolianWolf
Tonal Vigilante

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewLeisher
I can't believe you would compare SRV and David Gilmour.

compare? gilmour outphrases SRV by a long, long shot. there IS no comparison.

xbox gamertag: Aeolion
psid: Blackwindsamurai (holy **** i want a shorter one)
AeolianWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:45 PM   #67
Blind In 1 Ear
Git-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeolianWolf
compare? gilmour outphrases SRV by a long, long shot. there IS no comparison.

i find gilmours playing pretty generic actually. everyone says he has amazing phrasing but i have yet to hear it.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:55 PM   #68
carmour

Yeah, he's got lovely tone, vibrato, and really good control of slurs etc, but I find his phrasing pretty pedestrian compared to other players like Junior Watson and Sean Costello @_@
carmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:00 PM   #69
21wickwing
wick2107

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnaraaron
i love me some django

So little you know. Stevie Ray's studio recordings are great, yes, but you have not heard SRV until you heard him play live. Life Without You live after he sobered up could make you cry it is that good. Judging SRV by his recordings is almost like judging Mayer by his recordings (although not as bad). I also disagree with you on the static issue. That is just a stupid complaint. He had a very precise and clean style. Kind of like Hendrix, it sounds messy at first but when you get into it, it is extremely clean and precise.
21wickwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:12 AM   #70
fireoptic

You're going to have a hard time finding a book or magazine that's going to knock down SRV. Liking his music is a matter of taste, but it's pretty tough to say he was "not good". Magazines are a business and have profit motive, they're not going to rip on Stevie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaldin714
why does Thin Lizzy sing in english if they are from ireland
fireoptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:34 PM   #71
Delicious Bass

I thought the question was about whether SRV was a good guitarist or not. Anybody who said he isnt doesn't know what theyre talking about. The only difference between SRV and 1000 other guitarists, is he happen to get noticed and famous. SRV was a great performer!!!!
Delicious Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 04:38 AM   #72
Blind In 1 Ear
Git-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicious Bass
I thought the question was about whether SRV was a good guitarist or not. Anybody who said he isnt doesn't know what theyre talking about. The only difference between SRV and 1000 other guitarists, is he happen to get noticed and famous. SRV was a great performer!!!!

i think people kinda got it mixed up with whether or not his music was any good or if his playing was original. like him or hate him, you cant deny he was a solid player. almost never made a mistake.

Old 02-20-2010, 04:55 AM   #73
Forkman
Julian

Stevie's dead, no one's gonna rip on him.

Press eject, give me the tape, if you know what's good for you
Forkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:24 AM   #74
Earthrug

SRV = A true Bluesman.

Back to the OT. The only instance I can think of is the interview by the Black Keys guitarist that has already been mentioned.

I have the mag in front of me. It's : Total Guitar "collectors addition" summer 2006, Blues Special. Has a pic' of Hendrix on the cover.

Basically the Black Keys axer Dan Auerbach was throwing out his top 10 Blues albums which TG views as "Essential alternative Blues albums". Auerbach throws out stuff like T-Model Ford, Ali Farka Toure, Son House, etc...

Here is a bit of it.....(pg.24)...with the bloated cokehead comment....

No B.B. King? No SRV? " I don't know, man. I don't know anything about that shit,"says Dan. I think Stevie Ray Vaughan turned into a bloated cokehead and I think his music is boring. But early B.B. King I really like, " he continues. " I thought the early recordings were really cool,as far as the big band sound goes. But he's real polished and and I'm not really into that. It doesn't appeal to me."

What is more interesting to me though is B.B. Kings comments about Robert Johnson in the same mag...

B.B. King (pg10) : "I don't know. I wasn't as moved by what Robert Johnson was doing as I was by Blind Lemon [Jefferson] and Lonnie. There was something , to me that wasn't genuine about what he was doing."

Last edited by Earthrug : 02-25-2010 at 09:29 AM.
Earthrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:38 PM   #75
DuaneAllmanBrah

SRV was well respected and praised by the likes of Buddy Guy and Albert King. I'm going with their opinion on what good blues is.

SRV & Albert King - Texas Flood
DuaneAllmanBrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:22 PM   #76
RubberSoul54321
UG's Train Wreck

I think I'll just use my own ears and decide for myself what "good blues" means to me. It's all a matter of opinion in the end.

"I won't waste my love on a nation" BRMC

My Band, RedEye:

http://redeyeband.weebly.com/
RubberSoul54321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:04 PM   #77
carmour

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuaneAllmanBrah
SRV was well respected and praised by the likes of Buddy Guy and Albert King. I'm going with their opinion on what good blues is.

SRV & Albert King - Texas Flood

Of course Albert King likes SRV. He'd be one big self-loathing mofo if he didn't
carmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:12 AM   #78
Regibald
It's just a ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmour
Of course Albert King likes SRV. He'd be one big self-loathing mofo if he didn't

Regibald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:13 PM   #79
Blind In 1 Ear
Git-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmour

zing!

Old 02-26-2010, 05:18 PM   #80
DanielShaw123

I absolutley love SRV, it's the feeling that I get from his music that I love. Not the technique.
DanielShaw123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: