Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Blues & Jazz
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-10-2010, 06:43 PM   #81
CGB89
Liturgical Rocker

"I've said that playing the blues is like having to be black twice. Stevie Ray Vaughan missed on both counts, but I never noticed." -B.B. King
Line 6 Spider
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
BOSS DD-3

"Wish I Had This" Gear:
Guitars- G&L, Gibson, PRS
Amps- Egnater, Bogner
Effects- Fulltone, JHS, Eventide
CGB89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:49 AM   #82
Beserker
More fluid than Jeff Beck

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeolianWolf
he's a great guitarist in the sense that hendrix was a great guitarist.

they were pioneers, but compare them to guitarists of today, and...well, you see where this is going.

Face-f*cking-palm. I haven't read the rest of the thread and I'm sure you've already been thoroughly rebuffed. But SRV is a FANTASTIC player by any standards, how you can deny that I cannot fathom. And believe me, I'm familiar with pretty much every guitarist of repute from the entire 20th century, including all the super technical cats. I'm not making an uninformed judgement.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:30 AM   #83
SGstriker
Someone will die...

Wow...two pages of blind arguing about our opinions on a guitarist considered to be one of the best ever by many people...
Quit arguing your opinions as if they are the ****ing word of God. It pisses me off to no end.

That being said, it is MY OPINION that SRV was one hell of a guitarist in any respect, both for his technique and his tone. I'm not a fanboy. The only person I could ever say I was a fanboy for is Slash, and even then, I'm not going to get butthurt if someone says they think he is an overrated sellout. It is my belief he is neither of those.

Simply put, SRV was damn good at what he did, and if you don't agree with me, you are entitled to your opinion...but don't damn my belief as being completely unacceptable. Because that makes you an ignorant tool.

Seattle Seahawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.
SGstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:26 AM   #84
JilaX^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beserker
Face-f*cking-palm. I haven't read the rest of the thread and I'm sure you've already been thoroughly rebuffed. But SRV is a FANTASTIC player by any standards, how you can deny that I cannot fathom. And believe me, I'm familiar with pretty much every guitarist of repute from the entire 20th century, including all the super technical cats. I'm not making an uninformed judgement.

Not by the Less-Is-More aspect of blues.
Guitar Slim, Johnny Guitar Watson, etc.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:48 PM   #85
21wickwing
wick2107

To me, SRV did not really become one of the greatest guitarists ever until AFTER he sobered up. Because after sobering up he really, REALLY got better. He was alot more original too. That is when he became one of the greatest guitarists because it seemed like he was just starting to climb the innovation latter. Like his Little Wing cover to me does not resemble Hendrix all that much. And Life Without You live in that last year was probably one of the greatest musical pieces I have ever heard. So really in my opinion SRV was just starting to become an elite musician when he died. He's still my favorite guitarist though and his style is extremely tough to play. Alot tougher than Albert King and Hendrix in my opinion.
21wickwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 03:43 PM   #86
WesM.Vaughan
POS Guitar Junkie

Obviously I'm a big SRV fan. It must be a Texas thing, because there are several people around here who would listen to SRV way before they would listen to Hendrix, Clapton, and The Kings. My favorite thing about SRV was the intensity that he played with. I'll never forget the first time I heard him playing on the radio or on albums. Way before I got into guitar. I try not to forget that as my musical/technical tastes progress.
WesM.Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:05 PM   #87
F-Hole
Fretboard Freak

I'll never forget the first time I heard SRV either, his playing on Bowie's 'Let's Dance', which got a lot of airplay back in the day. Stevie's playing was so different from all the new wave stuff on the radio at that time, that it really stood out. Around that time I read an interview with Bowie in MUSICIAN magazine, and he was bragging about this great new guitarist he discovered, and what a blues purist he was.

I bought Stevie's first album as soon as it came out. It was such a breath of fresh air back then, when it seemed like all the upcoming young white musicians who knew how to play the blues were leaning towards metal (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Everybody always talks about how Stevie was so influenced by Hendrix and Albert King. One guy who IMO influenced Stevie a lot that no one ever mentions is Larry Davis, who wrote & did the first recording of "Texas Flood". I think Stevie even got some of his singing style from him. If you've never heard Larry Davis, check this out:

I was lucky enough to see Stevie perform about a month before he died. It was at a blues festival, and at the end Stevie jammed with BB King and Joe Cocker! What a great show that was. Even though I was pretty drunk, it was a night I'll never forget.

Last edited by F-Hole : 04-05-2010 at 06:09 PM.
F-Hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:57 PM   #88
Cagey Cretin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombstonehand
That sums it up pretty good. He was very talented technically, but his music was not interesting in any way. It was the most generic, uninspired caricature of the blues I've ever heard. He's the favorite blues guitarist of people who know nothing about the blues.

It's narrow-minded opinions like these that make me wish I had more willpower in terms of staying away from forums.

Your statement makes the assumption that any fan of SRV couldn't possibly have listened to the artists YOU have decided are the real deal, and if they have listened to the artists you mention and prefer SRV, that somehow their intellect and musical maturity is immediately suspect. Just because you can name drop a bunch of blues players going back almost 100 years, and possibly may have a vast amount of knowledge on the subject, does not make someone else's opinion invalid just because they don't agree with you. I myself have listened to some of the players you mentioned, and for me, I prefer more modern electric blues like SRV. That old stuff bores the pants right off me. However, I don't think that because I prefer SRV that the players someone else likes are lesser musicians, lesser players, less original etc.
Cagey Cretin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:02 AM   #89
carmour

standing on the shoulders of giants, yeah.. he looks big.. but its mostly because of those under him
carmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 01:49 PM   #90
Axegrinder#9
I pwn You

HERE IS AN IDEA:

Drop this ridiculously boring subject and do all yourselves a favor, listen to Roy Buchanan playing "Hey Joe", recorded live in Japan.

you can resume this argument thereafter.

peace.
Axegrinder#9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:55 PM   #91
QuantumP7

I'm having a hard time believing that the naysayers can even play close to what SRV could.
QuantumP7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 05:55 PM   #92
aerosmith513

Anyone who thinks Stevie Ray Vaughan isn't that great of a guitarist is monotoned. His tone, his feeling, his voice, his songwriting, he had it all.
aerosmith513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:51 PM   #93
carmour

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerosmith513
Anyone who thinks Stevie Ray Vaughan isn't that great of a guitarist is monotoned.

So anyone who thinks SRV isn't that great of a guitarist is "has been a sound that has a single unvaried tone?"

carmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:57 PM   #94
stratoclap

haha. Bert's just chillin'.
stratoclap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:42 AM   #95
ShadowG
The Shadow Guitarist

SRV is good...but is it just me, or does he tend to recycle the same licks over and over again?
Old 04-27-2010, 05:47 PM   #96
radiantmoon
UGs king kong slayer

[QUOTE=tombstonehand]I don't have anything against people who listen to SRV, I just believe most SRV-fanatics tend to know very little about the genre besides him and those connected to him. I'm not on a crusade against those people, I'm just saying they exist and there are a lot of them.

Why do people need to know about the blues genre to like SRV? If you like his music, you like his music, you don't need to compare it to anything.
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
radiantmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:45 AM   #97
sdjoe

Stevie Ray Vaughan is overrated. All of his soloing sounds the same. There are some good blues songs out there, but other than that, most blues sucks and sounds the same and lacks creativity. It's easy to play a blues solo. If you want to listen to someone who is one of the last greatest guitarists still on earth with his own sound and style, then listen to Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits. We will never see another talent like him who can play like that and is one of the best song writers on earth today. As an avid guitar player for 15 years, no one on earth comes close to being able to do what he does. He produced songs and albums for Van Morrison, Tina Turner, Bob Dylan, etc... Eric Clapton sought him out to tour with him because he was intrigued by Mark Knopfler and even said in an interview that he is "intimidated to get on stage with mark knopfler because of how good he is." Knopfler also played and produced an album with Chet Atkins, also one of the best guitar players in the world no longer with us. Knopfler's got real talent and real creativity and emotion in his playing.
sdjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:23 AM   #98
smartguyreviews
Kenny G on Ecstacy

Je-sus

this nigga hates stevie ray enough to up a 3 year old conversation

but yo

im curious as to what kinda dissertation is about stevie
smartguyreviews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:23 PM   #99
BleedingFinger0

I've never heard anyone come close to being able to emulate Stevie ray's tone. I've heard people who were influenced by him, who played some of those same texas blue licks, but never have I heard someone capture that same feel and spirit and sound that he had.

Seriously, if anyone out there has a clip of someone playing like Stevie who can hold a candle to his tone and sound, post it here right now cos I'm dying to hear it.
BleedingFinger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:24 PM   #100
BleedingFinger0

and one more thing. There will never EVER be another Stevie Ray Vaughan. EVER!!!!!!
BleedingFinger0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: