Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-30-2010, 05:02 AM   #1
chickensauce69

gfs or mm?

so im gonna mod a guitar i have (epi lp jr) and im gonna buy two buckers for it. this is a budget mod so im buying most of the stuff from gfs. but then i saw mighty mite pups and there about the same price (on ebay) and i was wonderong which were better, in tone, output and dist. cuz i play all sorts of metal.
GFS: Power rails, fat pat black nickel
MM: motherbucker HB pair
Old 01-30-2010, 05:21 AM   #2
AlexW1989

Ive got a mother bucker in the bridge of my strat copy, it a very bright and tight sounding pup
Dunlop SW-95, Danelectro DTB-1
Behringer VT999

Quote:
Originally Posted by obeythepenguin
Damn, that was fast. AlexW1989, thanks to you I can finally get to sleep again at night...
AlexW1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:10 AM   #3
CorduroyEW
UG's pickup winder

I would stay away from the fat pat. It's a pretty mushy sounding pickup which means it's not great for metal.

The power rails is a reasonable all around metal pickup. The ceramic magnet gives you good top end and the thick metal rails increase the pickups inductance which fills out the midrange and low end. Thick rails also means more output. This pickup is going to put out more juce than you need for either of your amps.

The motherbucker is very cutting and topheavy so I don't recomend it for people that are playing mainly rythem but if you play lots of squealing leads then it might be right for you. This pickup is another one with more output than your amps need.

There is a such thing as too much output. Driving a Mesa or a Marshall with high output pickups is great but driving a VJ or a Champ with high output pickups isn't going to sound great because preamp distortion on top of power amp distortion tends to sound like mud. This is why most high gain amps are at least 30 watts and usually 50 or 100. They need the extra headroom in the power stage so that you can avoid having both preamp and power amp distortion.

You may want to consider spending your money on a pedal instead or start saving for an amp that will be better for your music. I'm not saying don't get a new pickup; I'm just trying to point out that super high output pickups may not give you the results that you think they will.

I'll also point out that this advice is coming from somebody who builds custom pickups and amps for a living.
CorduroyEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 05:26 PM   #4
chickensauce69

well, the amp is fine for what i play, the distortion is actually quite good for metal even though it has an EL34. but the whole reason i was gonna buy new pups is cuz i want to do a project rebuild. its my first one so im leaning towards the cheaper stuff. so amps are unfortunately out of the question, but pedals might be. depends on how much money i have left over. are there any budget priced pups/pedals you would recommend CorduroyEW?
Old 01-31-2010, 01:23 AM   #5
CorduroyEW
UG's pickup winder

I'm no expert on pedals so other people will have to advise you on which ones will be good for you.

As far as pickups are concerned I think tonerider makes some good budget ones. Their rocksong and their Generator pickups might interest you.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:57 AM   #6
chickensauce69

thanks for the recommendations but when i say budget, i mean budget cuz this is my first project so if i **** it up then i at least wouldnt have spent so much money. so out of the two, GFS or MM, which would you recommend and which specific pups?
Old 02-01-2010, 10:58 AM   #7
CorduroyEW
UG's pickup winder

FWIW the tonerider pickups I suggested are only $4 or $5 more than the GFS ones you are looking at. If you are not going to be upgrading your tone then there is no point it spending money on pickups. The GFS pickups that will work well with your amp will not be an upgrade so getting some is pointless. If you can't come up with the $4 then I think you should just keep your stock pickups and perhaps buy a different magnet to put into the pickup.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:11 PM   #8
chickensauce69

4$??? i checked on ebay (cuz thats the only place i could find them) they were 87$ for a pair. the GFS are 60$ and the MM are only 57$. where do you buy them for only 4$ more?
Old 02-02-2010, 06:06 AM   #9
CorduroyEW
UG's pickup winder

I was looking at website prices per pickup. Something like a fat pat with black nickel cover at the GFS site is $33 each while a tonerider Generator can be found here

http://pickersparts.auctivacommerce...ack-P82134.aspx

for only $39.00 so I guess it's $6 more per pickup but still... It's not that much more expensive and you will actually upgraid your tone.

Last edited by CorduroyEW : 02-02-2010 at 06:07 AM.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:31 AM   #10
Pikka Bird
Jack of no trades

Take heed and bear witness to Cord's first post, especially the part about driving amps. Your tone may very well be "fine" now, but it could get pretty harsh if you bombard it using a high output pickup. None the less, a good tube head or combo will make your tone rise way above "fine", and once you try it you'll see what that means, especially if you go back to your old amps after having played through, say, a Laney VH100R such as mine, or even a Bugera of some description.

Having said that, it could be fancy knowing which part of the world you live in. If you're a European then I'd heartily recommend Irongear.

Miniature-hijack:

Hey Cord, this is relevant to my interests- what are Wilkinson pickups like? I love their hardware, but the pups are among the very cheapest over here, so what's the dealio?

Last edited by Pikka Bird : 02-02-2010 at 06:33 AM.
Pikka Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:39 PM   #11
chickensauce69

im in canada so id be ordering online
corduroy: i can afford it i just never saw that price, i only found them on ebay, thanks for the link.
pikka bird: im not gonna buy a new amp cuz this is just supposed to be a budget project for fun and experience. altho i would be interested in pedals, so if you guys have any suggestions thatd be great. my budget for pedals would be like 120$
Old 02-03-2010, 08:39 AM   #12
CorduroyEW
UG's pickup winder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikka Bird
Miniature-hijack:

Hey Cord, this is relevant to my interests- what are Wilkinson pickups like? I love their hardware, but the pups are among the very cheapest over here, so what's the dealio?

I have had very little experience with Wilkinson pickups so I don't think it's fair for me to comment on them.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:27 AM   #13
skater dan0
ex-mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikka Bird
Take heed and bear witness to Cord's first post, especially the part about driving amps. Your tone may very well be "fine" now, but it could get pretty harsh if you bombard it using a high output pickup. None the less, a good tube head or combo will make your tone rise way above "fine", and once you try it you'll see what that means, especially if you go back to your old amps after having played through, say, a Laney VH100R such as mine, or even a Bugera of some description.

Having said that, it could be fancy knowing which part of the world you live in. If you're a European then I'd heartily recommend Irongear.

Miniature-hijack:

Wilkinson pickups are very good for the price, they won't beat custom hand wound pickups but for what you pay for them they are fantastic, look up any demos of a jhs vintage guitar because they come stock with wilkinson pickups.

Don't stop being you <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
skater dan0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: