Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-11-2010, 10:34 PM   #41
|Long|
String Theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by captivate
I have no idea how to multi-quote. I usually just click the quote button, copy and back up and then quote the other response. Then I paste the first one.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the Hard Wood, Long. (failed pun? )

Guess these forums don't allow it - shame. A ryerson fellow, how's that treating ya?
How much was the Cole Clark FL2 that you played [yeah, quick creep around the ol' profile].

Ah I can't wait to get my guitar back in my arms. And Long prefers hard wood ... err Long has hard wood, yeah that's better.

...Dammit.

Last edited by |Long| : 02-11-2010 at 10:35 PM.
|Long| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:53 PM   #42
captivate
d[-.-]b Asian Audiophile.

Ryerson's brutal. Hospitality and Tourism Management isn't easy as a lot of people seem to think in the Business program. >.> 100 page market study, anyone? That's what I'm up to this semester.

The FL2 was $950CAD used with its own case. Smoothest sounding guitar I've ever played. Chords just blend so gracefully.
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
captivate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:08 PM   #43
|Long|
String Theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by captivate
Ryerson's brutal. Hospitality and Tourism Management isn't easy as a lot of people seem to think in the Business program. >.> 100 page market study, anyone? That's what I'm up to this semester.

The FL2 was $950CAD used with its own case. Smoothest sounding guitar I've ever played. Chords just blend so gracefully.

Every program is hard if you go down the challenging path, I'm in electrical eng and honestly mining eng is easy in a relative sense. I'm actually in Ottawa right now [co-op term].

FL2 > 1000! I can't imagine how much the FL3's cost. I thought the 1 or 2's would be low-mid ranged. Any I plan on playing them this weekend as there is a dealer around somewhere. I love the 2 toned headstock!
Old 02-11-2010, 11:42 PM   #44
jimtaka
i like acoustic guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingbard13
That board better be 80% boutique at that price!

It is all boutique except for a Boss RC-20XL looping station, but I have that run inside a Toadworks True-Bypass Looper so it is at least inside a boutique true bypass loop. And actually my phaser is an MXR Custom Shop Script Phase 90 w/ LED so that isn't really boutique. But I did have it modded so that it is true bypass as well. Hell I might as well just list it all...

Fulltone Clyde Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
Wampler Pinnacle 2 Limited Edition Reissue
Wampler AnalogEcho
Wampler Clean Buffer x2
Analogman Mini Chorus
Toadworks True-Bypass Looper (Boss RC-20XL in the loop)
MXR Custom Shop Script Phase 90 w/ LED and True Bypass
Sonic Research TurboTuner ST-200

Not in that order obviously. I am having Pumaman build me a board and am using two VooDoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus units to power everything. All the connections are done with two Lava Cables pedal board kits.

I'm pretty excited to get the board in and get all this crap hooked up and in place. It's been quite a process trying tons of pedals and waiting for some of them to be built, etc.

Last edited by jimtaka : 02-11-2010 at 11:43 PM.
jimtaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:42 PM   #45
Natrone
UG's Festive Brad Paisley

Jim!!!!! As a response, I've gotten a '72 Telecaster Deluxe Reissue, a Korg Pitchblack tuner, and a Digitech Hardwire delay pedal, with some various Planet Waves cables to supplement the need. I also fell in love with a Masterbilt today at GC. They were practically giving it away too...$350. My want and funds levels are very, very offset though

Long! Glad to have another acoustic junkie in here! Wait...who am I kidding? I'm not an acoustic junkie

Well, not as much as our Canadian moderator is at least

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray

Last edited by Natrone : 02-11-2010 at 11:44 PM.
Natrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:44 PM   #46
jimtaka
i like acoustic guitar

Sweet, Natrone! My first electric guitar was actually a '72 Thinline Tele RI.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:48 PM   #47
|Long|
String Theory

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrone
Jim!!!!! As a response, I've gotten a '72 Telecaster Deluxe Reissue, a Korg Pitchblack tuner, and a Digitech Hardwire delay pedal, with some various Planet Waves cables to supplement the need. I also fell in love with a Masterbilt today at GC. They were practically giving it away too...$350. My want and funds levels are very, very offset though

Long! Glad to have another acoustic junkie in here! Wait...who am I kidding? I'm not an acoustic junkie

It's a climate thing.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:03 AM   #48
jimtaka
i like acoustic guitar

I'm trying to balance a newfound electric obsession with my everlasting acoustic obsession. My electric has been winning in the wallet and thoughts lately, but my acoustics still get the most playing time. I doubt that will ever change.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:32 AM   #49
captivate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrone

The only electric guitar I have is an Epi LP Special II with a crooked neck.

I'm pretty much acoustic for life. I'm too sped to use an electric guitar. Even a stratocaster's 5 way switch annoys me.

Also, HOLY CRAP JIM. That's a lot of pedals you got there.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:38 AM   #50
jimtaka
i like acoustic guitar

So tell me what you guys think about this...

I saw the following ad on craigslist today: http://nashville.craigslist.org/msg/1595795492.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigslist ad
I am looking for a guitar to learn jazz/blues type music on. I had half my colon removed a few months back because of cancer. Now i need to do 6 months of chemo, it seems the cancer has moved to my lymphnodes. I can not work or drive so if you could bring it to me that would rock. I think with 6 months of feeling like crap a guitar and a how to book will help pass the time. I have about $300 saved up and hoping i can get something with that. So if you have any gear just laying around and happen to need some cash please think of me.
I am not looking for a hand out like I said i do have $300 to spend. But I will want a model # and make so i can look it up and know what i am getting.
Thanks for looking.
im not asking for a hand out i do have some cash.

I have a Marshall MG15DFX sitting in the closet, which I thought sounded like a good option for this guy. So I send him this message:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtaka
I have a Marshall MG15DFX guitar amplifier that I could part with. You can see it here:

http://www.beachaudio.com/Marshall/...utm_content=atr

These are pretty much the definitive starter amps. It has a clean channel and an overdrive/distortion channel so it can do anything from country to blues to rock. It also has reverb, chorus, flange, and delay effects built in so you won't have to buy any pedals. It has 15 watts of power into one 8" speaker.

I wasn't really planning on selling it, but it sounds like you could use it a lot more than I could. Looks like these are about $200 new. Mine is in great cosmetic condition and flawless mechanical condition. I saw the 10 watt version without the effects listed for $125 today. Given your situation, how about $100 and I will bring it to you. I figure you will really need about $200 left out of your $300 to get a decent guitar. I don't really have any beginner level guitars, but I would be happy to make some recommendations if you are looking for an honest opinion.

Let me know what you think!

-Jim

Now obviously this isn't a boutique tube amplifier or anything, but everything I said is absolutely true imo and I really don't think the guy has a better option in his price range. Also keep in mind that I am offering to drive over an hour each way and over 130 miles total.

This is the response I get:

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigslist guy
Dude I already have cancer dont realy need a leach in my pocket thats a $25 pawn shop junk dont bother me any more. shame on you man

So what do you guys think? Am I wrong here? Do you guys think I was misleading or anything? Can this guy get a better amp with a $300 budget for guitar and amp?

Last edited by jimtaka : 02-12-2010 at 02:45 AM.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:44 AM   #51
Dreadnought
Star-Splitter

I think you should make fun of him having cancer because he's a douche.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:54 AM   #52
Dreadnought
Star-Splitter

I didn't get any responses to this in the last thread, can anyone help me out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought
This is the guitar I'm most interested in purchasing at the moment:

And a description:

"This instrument as can be seen from the pictures is very much a one of a kind. Back and sides are Katalox with Flame Maple and Purple Heart accents. The top is highly Bearclawed Sitka Spruce. The neck is California Walnut and bridge and fingerboard are Katalox; the fingerboard being inlaid with Spalted Maple. Bindings are done in Purpleheart and the headstock is slotted and pagoda style. Nut and saddle are bone and premium Gotoh butterbean tuners are used for machines. Scale length is 25.375, nut width is 1 13/16 and it is 2 at the 12th fret. This instrument has a Venetian cutaway and a sound port on the upper bout enhancing the listening for the player."

I can't play-test it yet as I'm still kicking ass in the sandy bootyhole of the world, but I'm very interested in it. It's also crazy expensive. Probably won't happen, but that's what dreams are for AMIRITE??

Anywho, looking for opinions/knowledge on the rare Katalox tonewood that has been used. Can't find much on it, curious as to how it sounds. It's most obviously BEAUTIFUL
Old 02-12-2010, 03:07 AM   #53
jimtaka
i like acoustic guitar

Never even heard of Katalox. Who built that guitar? It's crazy!
Old 02-12-2010, 03:13 AM   #54
Dreadnought
Star-Splitter

A luthier unique to the Northwest/Seattle area who makes "Edwinson guitars". They are all very beautiful and most commonly cost about 3500, whereas the one I linked to is about 4725. I can't wait to play them; there is a shop in Seattle that sells very high end acoustic and customs from local luthiers (Edwinson guitars included) that has a few of his models in stock, including the Katalox one. I'm very excited to experience them!

A lot of builds incorporate my favorite body shape and size, so I have a feeling I may feel very at home with his works.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:20 AM   #55
jimtaka
i like acoustic guitar

Man I would love to try that guitar. I've never seen anything like it. It's actually a little too fancy looking for my tastes probably, but that is one helluva piece of spruce on the top. Hotness.

Can't wait to hear your report on how it sounds!
Old 02-12-2010, 03:23 AM   #56
Dreadnought
Star-Splitter

Can't wait to write it!
Old 02-12-2010, 04:07 AM   #57
jimtaka
i like acoustic guitar

Get this.... after several more e-mails the guy now apologizes, says he had a buddy over and they had a few too many beers and he was just messing around. Now he thinks he wants the amp.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:51 AM   #58
|Long|
String Theory

Quote:
So tell me what you guys think about this...

I saw the following ad on craigslist today: http://nashville.craigslist.org/msg/1595795492.html

I have a Marshall MG15DFX sitting in the closet, which I thought sounded like a good option for this guy. So I send him this message:

Now obviously this isn't a boutique tube amplifier or anything, but everything I said is absolutely true imo and I really don't think the guy has a better option in his price range. Also keep in mind that I am offering to drive over an hour each way and over 130 miles total.

This is the response I get:

So what do you guys think? Am I wrong here? Do you guys think I was misleading or anything? Can this guy get a better amp with a $300 budget for guitar and amp?

I bet he doesn't have cancer,
or if it does ... he well ... may I say deserves it?

The guy is a douche and deserves to be treated as one.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:18 AM   #59
captivate

Quote:
Get this.... after several more e-mails the guy now apologizes, says he had a buddy over and they had a few too many beers and he was just messing around. Now he thinks he wants the amp.

His grammar isn't bad enough for a drunk person. I call BS, lol.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:25 AM   #60
LeftyDave
It's time for a change...

Quote:
Anybody got any cool stuff lately?!

I do I do!
Hi Jim!
I recently inherited a 113 yr old Washburn Bowlback Mandolin.
LeftyDave is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: