Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 02-12-2010, 11:31 AM   #61
Silverstein14
Call me Keenan!
 
Silverstein14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada
Jon, that thing looks crazy! I've never heard of katalox. All the sharp edges like the bridge and such give it that evil feel to it, and I dig it. Let us know how it sounds when you get a chance to play it!
Silverstein14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:02 PM   #62
Natrone
UG's Festive Brad Paisley
 
Natrone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Somewhere along I-35
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyDave
I do I do!
Hi Jim!
I recently inherited a 113 yr old Washburn Bowlback Mandolin.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear


Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
plexi


i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.


Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Natrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:08 PM   #63
|Long|
String Theory
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Can't wait to see pictures of that relic. I'm off to pick up my guitar, ooh yeah.
|Long| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:10 PM   #64
Natrone
UG's Festive Brad Paisley
 
Natrone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Somewhere along I-35
I wish I could say that....but apparently my savings are more important for college than buying a guitar.

I mean, I've got over 2 grand in savings bonds. It isn't like I'm going to miss that $300 a whole lot, especially after I get a job. I plan on replenishing that anyway.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear


Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
plexi


i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.


Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Natrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 04:48 PM   #65
|Long|
String Theory
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrone
I wish I could say that....but apparently my savings are more important for college than buying a guitar.

I mean, I've got over 2 grand in savings bonds. It isn't like I'm going to miss that $300 a whole lot, especially after I get a job. I plan on replenishing that anyway.


Nothing worse than being in debt and owing your gov't money. Wait, 300? Er what. That's nothing! Well I guess it does matter when you don't have a job yet.

I now know what it feels like to be a women - you know the multiple orgasms - just got back from getting the guitar store. Now my guitar feels so good, sounds amazing. I'll have to put up pictures soon.


Btw, if anyone could 'direct' me to GP5, I'd be grateful - after my drive crashed I lost my copy.

Last edited by |Long| : 02-12-2010 at 05:13 PM.
|Long| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:43 PM   #66
Natrone
UG's Festive Brad Paisley
 
Natrone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Somewhere along I-35
Yeah, $300 really isn't that much, I know. But like I said, no job. I'm looking to take it out of my savings account. I don't understand the reasoning here though. I pulled out money to help pay for my new Tele in November, under the condition that I would replenish the money when I got a job. I planned on doing the same thing with this one
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear


Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
plexi


i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.


Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Natrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:46 PM   #67
|Long|
String Theory
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrone
Yeah, $300 really isn't that much, I know. But like I said, no job. I'm looking to take it out of my savings account. I don't understand the reasoning here though. I pulled out money to help pay for my new Tele in November, under the condition that I would replenish the money when I got a job. I planned on doing the same thing with this one


You're terrible with money and have no structure? Sounds like 90% of the population . I personally would never touch any of my 'savings accounts' - if it's not urgent I can wait for the money to accumulate.

Ask you self if it's really needed?
|Long| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:56 PM   #68
Natrone
UG's Festive Brad Paisley
 
Natrone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Somewhere along I-35
This is true. Well I've got my savings account, and then there's my savings bonds, which I have over 2 grand in.

I shouldn't get it. I don't really need it at all, but love does strange things to people

I'm actually pretty good with money, as long as I can see it in front of me. When its just a number on a screen it doesn't really say as much to me.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear


Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
plexi


i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.


Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Natrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:57 PM   #69
clayonfire
loves Jazz.
 
clayonfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyDave
I do I do!
Hi Jim!
I recently inherited a 113 yr old Washburn Bowlback Mandolin.


Wow. Nice. Very Nice. I just played a mandolin for the first time the other day in the bluegrass band I'm in..And my classical pianist/mallet percussionist girlfriend (who plays piano and hammer dulcimer there) played bass for the first time.

And Dread, that is a really crazy looking guitar. Extremely beautiful.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
clayonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:02 PM   #70
Dix_Fix
J.O.A.T.
 
Dix_Fix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Oz
I bought a new 'kit' guitar to put together. An electric resonator. That is about it for the new stuff.

Wont be buying anything new for a year or so. I am saving at the moment for a new Harley (My '96 Sporster Im giving to my 19 year old daughter). So I have to save & save hard as I plan to retire (again) at 55 (1.75 years off) & want to have the new bike for some serious Aussie touring. I have been around Australia 5 times previously but not for the last 15 years so it is time to see it again. I thought about overseas but to be honest , We have it all here the only reason to go O.S. is for the culture.
__________________
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!

Last edited by Dix_Fix : 02-12-2010 at 08:04 PM.
Dix_Fix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:15 PM   #71
|Long|
String Theory
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrone
This is true. Well I've got my savings account, and then there's my savings bonds, which I have over 2 grand in.

I shouldn't get it. I don't really need it at all, but love does strange things to people

I'm actually pretty good with money, as long as I can see it in front of me. When its just a number on a screen it doesn't really say as much to me.


I'd wait until you have a job, or know for certain you will pay it off before those savings are needed. Plus, 2 grand isn't much for post-secondary schooling [well at least not here]. Think about the boring future
|Long| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 08:10 AM   #72
Confusius
UG Nerd
 
Confusius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Doin Dat Funky Dance Christmas Style
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimtaka
Anybody got any cool stuff lately?!


Martin 000-15S



__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizards?
Confusius says, "No mother****er!


Call me Kyrl, pronounced Curl


DOIN DAT FUNKY DANCE
Confusius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 08:14 AM   #73
clayonfire
loves Jazz.
 
clayonfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Jim, don't know if you were around back in August, but I got an Alvarez MD90C as well. I'm loving it.

And right now I'm sitting in a train station in portland. About to take a train to Boston. and auditioning for Berklee later today.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
clayonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:55 AM   #74
|Long|
String Theory
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by clayonfire
Jim, don't know if you were around back in August, but I got an Alvarez MD90C as well. I'm loving it.

And right now I'm sitting in a train station in portland. About to take a train to Boston. and auditioning for Berklee later today.

Goodluck!
|Long| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:52 PM   #75
jimtaka
i like acoustic guitar
 
jimtaka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyDave
I recently inherited a 113 yr old Washburn Bowlback Mandolin.

That is awesome! Pics? What kind of shape is it in?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayonfire
Jim, don't know if you were around back in August, but I got an Alvarez MD90C as well. I'm loving it.

And right now I'm sitting in a train station in portland. About to take a train to Boston. and auditioning for Berklee later today.

I don't think I saw that you bought a Masterworks. Those are sweet guitars. Did you get a good deal on it? I know they discontinued the line and I saw some really good deals on the existing stock. Good luck on your Berklee audition! That's really great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confusius
Martin 000-15S

Noice!
jimtaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:12 PM   #76
LeftyDave
It's time for a change...
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtaka
That is awesome! Pics? What kind of shape is it in?!
Noice!


It's in so-so shape ATM. It's been severely humidity neglected for years and has suffered a couple of cracks as the result. One of them is on the top, from the bridge to the soundhole , while the others are all at structural lines where glue joints have failed. It's entirely fixable, but of course for a price. As a side note of interest, it's the exact same model mando that Orville Wright owned and played. Yes, of the Orville and Wilbur Wright aviator fame. I stumbled across that tidbit of info the other day whilst searching for data on the mando I have.
Pics on the way.
LeftyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:15 PM   #77
Silverstein14
Call me Keenan!
 
Silverstein14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada
Lefty, looking forward to the pics!
Silverstein14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 06:19 PM   #78
clayonfire
loves Jazz.
 
clayonfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtaka
That is awesome! Pics? What kind of shape is it in?!


I don't think I saw that you bought a Masterworks. Those are sweet guitars. Did you get a good deal on it? I know they discontinued the line and I saw some really good deals on the existing stock. Good luck on your Berklee audition! That's really great!


Noice!


Yeah, I got a pretty good deal on it, $580 used. And the guy had already bought the additional mic to put in the soundhole for it. I've just been really lazy and haven't changed the strings he had on it (still sounds good).

And as for Berklee...even if I do get in, I probably wouldn't be able to afford it. That's alright though, I know of two other schools where I'd be perfectly happy. I've been getting more into classical and stuff recently, so yeah. It was a more so "lets see if I can get in" type of thing.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
clayonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:32 PM   #79
captivate
d[-.-]b Asian Audiophile.
 
captivate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyDave
It's in so-so shape ATM. It's been severely humidity neglected for years and has suffered a couple of cracks as the result. One of them is on the top, from the bridge to the soundhole , while the others are all at structural lines where glue joints have failed. It's entirely fixable, but of course for a price. As a side note of interest, it's the exact same model mando that Orville Wright owned and played. Yes, of the Orville and Wilbur Wright aviator fame. I stumbled across that tidbit of info the other day whilst searching for data on the mando I have.
Pics on the way.


I don't even play mandolins, but I'm still plenty jealous.
__________________
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
captivate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 08:39 PM   #80
Dix_Fix
J.O.A.T.
 
Dix_Fix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Oz
LeftyDave
Any chance of some pics pre-repair to see the level of damage. So we can all marvel at the finished product????
__________________
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Dix_Fix is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:48 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.