Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Tabs & Chords
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-08-2010, 04:55 PM   #1
MobiuZ

The Holy Crusade [GP5] - Final -

Ok so ive allready posted a completed version before , allthough i was not quite satisfied with it , so i changed it and now its really really done !

i redid the middle parts , let me know what you think.
and keep in mind that this was made with !!! RSE ON !!! , so please let me know whether you listened with RSE or MIDI since its a huge difference.

and sorry for the repost ..
Attached Files
File Type: zip The Holy Crusade GP5.zip (10.6 KB, 252 views)
File Type: zip The Holy Crusade GPX.zip (95.2 KB, 103 views)

Last edited by MobiuZ : 11-19-2011 at 12:34 PM.
MobiuZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:29 AM   #2
MobiuZ

Ok im just gonna bump this seeing that not one of the 4 people i critted is critting back ( Thank you -_- ) so ... BUMP !
Old 03-02-2010, 06:08 AM   #3
Shrub74

On MIDI, it starts out real nice, real strong but eventually really seems like it's dragging itself on, then gets good at the end. I really like your string arrangements Sorry I can't say more about it.
Shrub74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:15 AM   #4
RAH7747
The Apostle In Triumph

Ok here goes.. my second crit here.. Overall, I found it to have a very Maiden-esque theme which can't fail.. and I really liked your transitions coz at no point did I feel like something was abrupt. There are no real breakdowns either, so that's really a great job right there.. Anyway, off to the real crit now..

The start is really captivating. The acoustic tapping build up has been done really well along with good use of the bass and lead guitars.. The build up lasts for quite a while but I didn't actually feel it was "long" as such. But someone else might feel that way. So, maybe you can shorten it a bit.. Nonetheless, it's a great start..

The "Break" section is the section where everything breaks open I surmise.. Neat work there. The Verse section is good too. I liked the acoustic to distortion build from A through B.

The Chorus is perhaps the most catchy part of the song and it really got me hooked! The lead is simple but very effective and the rhythm is a typical Maiden-esque power chord setup. So simplicity works perfectly here..

Following this you have another power chord-laden riff for the next two verses which is again reminiscent of Maiden's.

The "Break" section that follows this has been neatly done too with some nice lead work. However, I am not sure if someone can play it in the 1st and 2nd strings.. Maybe you should bring it down to the second and third strings.. But that's not a mistake in any way. I'm just suggesting playability..

Nice use of the wah pedal during the "Bridge" section.. The Interlude section gives some new dynamics with more string muting and some bends for the lead section.. Gives a good change to the patterns used before.. I must say, I am not feeling bored even after so long into the song. I haven't checked the time but it has my attention so far..

The acoustic sections for the verse is another nice change and sets a good build up for the solo.. The solo itself has been done well. There's isn't a great deal of bending or shredding or anything complex in it. It serves its purpose and I think that's what is ultimately required. The outro is decent too and gives a good ending to a really long song with the fade-out..

Overall, I'd say that this song is great for its simplicity in everything. The lead, rhythm, bass, and drums have all been played at a simplistic level but at the same time deliver the right.. uhh.. emotions, if I may say so..

A few criticisms if I may add - the bass isn't audible enough over the ever-existing strings and cymbals. The drums use the cymbals a lot more than I kinda expected but I ain't gonna complain coz I'm not a drummer. The guitar lines use a lot of open notes and from my experience, it's a lot tougher to play when using open notes. The synchronization of the hands becomes a lot more easier when the left hand presses the respective frets when the right hand strikes the string. Of course, that would only mean some re-arrangement of the notes, so that's not a big problem.

Other than these, I don't think it's got any flaws. Great job overall. I don't like giving numbers but if you'd like to know, I'd give this an 8.5/10..

If you are, in any way, into Black Metal, please do critique my song..
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1282420

Wann ist der neue Anfang das Ende dieses traurigen Madrigals?

Last edited by RAH7747 : 03-02-2010 at 02:31 PM.
RAH7747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:49 PM   #5
D-Saster
Is Jesus

Nice job dude, I could probably sum my crit up pretty easily with a +1 to Rah's post up there. I totally got the maiden vibe from the whole piece and found myself rockin along the whole way. One thing that I would add, and i do mean 1 thing is at bar 36 I would personally like to see you scale down from the G at the end of the bar downwards with F, then E, then a C right before going into the next bar. I would like you to add that yes... :p. Aside from that I enjoyed the classic Maiden feel especially so after I just finished listening to King of Machines, a song that got posted up on the forums here by Grovermans and man was it intense. This brought me back and I really enjoyed it. The switch to the acoustic outro threw me off just a tiny bit but then I got right into the feeling of returning home after a successful crusade. Good tune. Feel free to check out some of my stuff @ http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1270974

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakstylez
Use moar fingarz!
D-Saster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:44 AM   #6
MobiuZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Saster
Nice job dude, I could probably sum my crit up pretty easily with a +1 to Rah's post up there. I totally got the maiden vibe from the whole piece and found myself rockin along the whole way. One thing that I would add, and i do mean 1 thing is at bar 36 I would personally like to see you scale down from the G at the end of the bar downwards with F, then E, then a C right before going into the next bar. I would like you to add that yes... :p. Aside from that I enjoyed the classic Maiden feel especially so after I just finished listening to King of Machines, a song that got posted up on the forums here by Grovermans and man was it intense. This brought me back and I really enjoyed it. The switch to the acoustic outro threw me off just a tiny bit but then I got right into the feeling of returning home after a successful crusade. Good tune. Feel free to check out some of my stuff @ http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1270974

Hey man thanks for your crit , ill make a version with the edit in bar 36 like you mentioned and see how that works ! thanks for that usefull feedback.

And i loled when i read "The switch to the acoustic outro threw me off just a tiny bit but then I got right into the feeling of returning home after a successful crusade." cuz that is EXACTLY what i was aiming for , so thats confirmation to myself that i succeeded in that part

Again thx a lot and ill crit one of your songs as soon as possible.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:00 AM   #7
hendrixftw

This is really Impressive, I'm quite liking it.
Your transitions and progressions are very well fed.

A few critiques though:

*I really would of like to see a bit more of a technical solo, maybe towards the middle, keeps things interesting and adds a bit of variety

*With the big build up it would of been a bit more effective if you'd increased the tempo/sped it up a bit, think Fear of the Dark (Maiden)

But it was really good, Great composition

* Epiphone Les Paul Custom
* Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 String
* Fender Squier P Bass
* Blackstar Stage HT-60
* Original Crybaby
* EHX Small Clone
* Boss DD-3

Last edited by hendrixftw : 03-06-2010 at 09:01 AM.
hendrixftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 02:13 PM   #8
DimebagLivesOn
S A D B O Y S

Returning the favor from here, even though you totally shot me down

I guess it's pretty justified though.

But anyway, I really like the part around bar 64 quite a bit. The song overall did seem to kind of drag on; I listen to a lot of progessive metal, post-rock/metal, and it just didn't really have me hooked the whole time. The part before the solo didn't really work well either, and it seemed the song ended to abruptly. I did really like the chorus though, maybe you should have put it in more than twice.
DimebagLivesOn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 01:59 PM   #9
TehDutchDude
I'm really Dutch.

Wow man, really nice. I like the vibe in your song. The break was really awesome, I can imagine this thing being quite badass with vocals over it. I really liked the outro as well Lekker nummer

Thanks for your positive feedback. I was planning to make the rythm guitar line a lot more interesting, but I was so curious as to what people would think of the solo that I just posted the damn thing Do you have any tips for me on how I can learn to create some interesting drum tracks?

Last edited by TehDutchDude : 04-13-2010 at 02:06 PM.
TehDutchDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:05 PM   #10
wannabe_punk
has a bucket

around mm. 20-40 i forgot that i was sitting in my little bedroom. it just sounded so huge. (even though i was using midi...if you posted an mp3 of the rse i'd be happy to give it a listen)

the one word i would use to describe this is "ambitious." on the other hand, by the time i got to the end of the chorus before verse C (mm. 60-63) i was starting to get a little worn out and i think the break that came after verse C should have come before verse C, or some other sort of break should be put in before verse C. (or maybe i would feel differently if i heard it with vocals?)

also with the string tracks so omnipresent, it became a bit dull. i'd recommend pulling back on that at some point in the song and then reintroducing them later for maximum effect.
sometimes i'm even on UG or AIM.
laptops + wireless = The Pit on the toilet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RinestoneCowboy
Cannibal Corpse transcend genres and stereotypes with their emotional and heartfelt take on music.
wannabe_punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 02:17 PM   #11
zezikaro

I found the entire thing to be really repetitive, and that rhythm was just annoying.

Although, I didn't listen to it in RSE, so perhaps that's why.

I found the strong to have no points of variation to it. Although the song may have changed a lot, it just felt like I was listening to the same thing for 10 minutes.

Song needs to be rethought in terms of direction, as it doesn't go very far, until about bar 149, where that's the only real change I heard
zezikaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:41 PM   #12
MobiuZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by zezikaro
I found the entire thing to be really repetitive, and that rhythm was just annoying.

Although, I didn't listen to it in RSE, so perhaps that's why.

I found the strong to have no points of variation to it. Although the song may have changed a lot, it just felt like I was listening to the same thing for 10 minutes.

Song needs to be rethought in terms of direction, as it doesn't go very far, until about bar 149, where that's the only real change I heard

To bad you couldnt listen to it with RSE , since thats were the melody and harmonies come in and sounds more varied because of that.
So i understand what you mean but its just not made for midi , anyway thx for your comment
Old 06-13-2010, 02:47 PM   #13
Uber Man
I <3 Four Strings

the whole thing kinda seemed to drag on, and the strings were a tad overpowering.
Uber Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 03:17 PM   #14
MobiuZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Man
the whole thing kinda seemed to drag on, and the strings were a tad overpowering.

Thanks for that reply (-_-)

i mean i can trake critisism but you could've at least told me if you listened with MIDI or RSE
Old 06-19-2010, 01:18 AM   #15
d(^o^)b
Phorum Sheikh

i head it without th RSE,
not bad it has some nice ideas, as someone mentioned earlier it has a maiden feel to it, which is never a bad thing, the only thing i didnt like is that the same riffs were played for a long time, it made it a lil boring, maybe with the vocals it wont feel that long or boring,
anyways what sorta genre are you intending to play, i feel that you are going towards power/heavy metal, something like iced earth, maiden, etc..
my band plays power/heavy metal, if you are interested you can check our midis on this thread http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1327004

Quote:
we are not racist, we hate everyone equally
d(^o^)b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:04 PM   #16
<<f1sh3r>>
UGs loser from New Jersey

my crit:

beginning is awesome, but i think the synth takes too much away from the guitar.
kinda gives me a epic fight scencish kinda theme idk why
liked verse-c alot it changed up the song a little it was starting to get a little stale.
the synth just seems really overwhelming. kind of annoying.
verse-d was a nice change also.
the instrumental part was another change, not drastic though just enough to keep you attention.
by measure 144 i was starting to get bored, as i dont really care for the types of metal songs that go on for 10 minutes, but the break/verse e/verse f was an epic(ly good) change.
the solo was really optomistic, reminds me of punkish music, or maybe even a video game tune.
the outro/crossfade was a really nice ending touch to the song.

as i said, i prefer the shorter type of songs, but this was really nice.
the only thing i would change is the synth.
keep up the good work. 8/10

p.s. i am changing my song somewhat so if you would like to re-crit it when i re-upload it i would glady crit your other song.
<<f1sh3r>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 02:08 PM   #17
Portuguese_boy

Returning crit.

The whole intro of the song (1-28) is epic as hell, wouldn't change a thing in there.

After that it has a nice chord progression, sounds like it could be a folk metal song.

I think you should change Verse B, that progression gets a bit boring , it's nice but it's pretty much the same until bar 87..

The interlude fit really well.

Loved the marching drums in Verse E, nice change from the whole fast paced riffs.

Really enjoyed the solo, sounds really joyful and changes the mood of the song.

Overall it was pretty good, I'd give it an 8/10, i just didn't like the first half a lot because it was a bit repetitive, try having more variety.
Portuguese_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:15 PM   #18
Silveroon009
The Headbanging Chikorita

I'm the dude from the bass intro & interlude and I must say this is pretty damn awesome dude. These are the kinds of files I was refering too when I said I felt ashamed of my own lol. Keep it up, I can't say I found a part I thought didn't sound good.
Boss ODB-3 (Overdrive Pedal)
Line 6 LowDown 150 (Amp)
Silveroon009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 03:55 PM   #19
herby190
slaps basses and faces.

This isn't really a style I'm typically into, but I can't deny this was well-written. Honestly, I have no complaints; I wish I could think of something to change, but nothing comes to mind.
herby190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:12 AM   #20
slash.r0cks
Professional n00b

I could only listen through TuxGuitar for some reason, so really, only limited MIDI =.=

But I liked it. A lot of people said they got a real Maiden feel to it; I kinda felt that too in a Number Of The Beast kind of way, but also found it similar to something Dream Theater might have done.

The strings were a bit weird though. IMO, you should have tied a lot more of it to create a pad feel. In the intro, for example, it kept cutting out every four beats.

Other than that I really liked it. I'd probably give it an 8/10 Nice work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whalepudding
If it was "Need to catch my dog pooing under my piano..." it would be thread of the decade.
slash.r0cks is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: