Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-12-2010, 12:42 PM   #41
captivate
d[-.-]b Asian Audiophile.

Bose is suggested?

For the average consumer, they're not bad. They make really crappy recordings sound good. If you use high quality recordings though, it colours the sound too excessively. For an audiophile, they don't cut it at all.

I'm using Denon D-1001's and they're just phenomenal. I also use Sennheiser HD415's, which are absolutely amazing for jazz because it's naturally a bit bassier.
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
captivate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:16 PM   #42
Cianyx
UG Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliriumbassist
^You can get an damn good stereo system (Roksan K2 series) for about 2100. The most expensive headphone system I can think of at the moment involves a $5k heaphone amplifier (Woo Audio) and $2000 pair of headphones., btw. So more than double your estimate

Ah crap >.>
Old 02-12-2010, 05:24 PM   #43
thsrayas

I really don't get why people think Beats are so great, they lack highs and have way too much bass for most music.
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
thsrayas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:24 PM   #44
i_don't_know
Christmas reindeer FTW.

The most detailed and natural/balanced sounding (ETY's have a very bright sound) IEMs under $150 I have heard thus far are the Phonak Audeo PFE. They're great.

Also, to those of you who think "loudness" is something to listen for when comparing headphones, I'm sorry but you are way off the mark. Headphones will only sound "quiet" when your player's crappy amplifier can't give them the amount of juice they need.

Also, Sennheisers do sound great, but the HD series NEED a well-matched headphone amplifier to reach their full potential. If you're using Sennheiser HDxxx straight out of your portable player, you're wasting them and probably could have gotten the same sound you're hearing in a slightly cheaper product.
i_don't_know is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:46 PM   #45
jonne.i
Pit Lurker

I have the Sennheiser CX 400 II in-ear headphones, and I'm loving them. They cost about 50 but they're worth it. Before them I had some 35$ Skullcandy (bought when i was in the US as i lost my old headphones) and they broke in a few months. Now I have had the Sennheisers for over 6 months now and there's no problems at all. They isolate outside noise pretty well and they just sound generally awesome. Best in-ears i've ever tried (I'm not an audiophile though and haven't tried that many, but out of the few i have tried)

Oh and one thing about Koss Sparkplugs: the other phone will always break pretty soon. I myself had them once, they broke and I got another ones from the store, they broke too. Also, propably every one of my friends who have had them said they break eventually, and pretty quickly too.

Apparently, I'm a good shitter
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomusAM
jonne.i just took the best dump I ever seen
jonne.i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:06 PM   #46
Quintessence153
UG's Burninator

Zombie Jesus! Why is Bose on the recommended list? As Deliriumbassist already noted, Bose is the Starbucks of headphones. A typical guy can brag to his buddies about his new set of Triports because Bose is popularly perceived as high quality, but Bose simply isn't good compared to other brands. If anything, it should be on the avoid list.

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNO-TOAD
Quintessence153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:19 PM   #47
faultyy
Atleast I'm nobody's wife

I managed to get a pair of Shure SRH440's for 50 just after xmas (thank you iheadphones sale and my works money off scheme), awesome headphones, especially for home recording and I'd have been stupid not to buy them at that price, they don't colour the sound much though so if you have a low quality MP3 file you'll know about it. Being a bit of a Shure fan boy I also have Shure SE210's for outside use, which are also awesome although I did buy a cheap haedphone amp to get a better sound out of them (I think that has more to do with my Ipod than the headphones, as they sound much better through my PC).

Sennheiser are also awesome most of the time, used to have CX400's, the only comlaint I have is that I would have liked a little bit more bass and the left ear stopped working after a few weeks in the first 3 sets I had, fourth one lasted well over a year though.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
faultyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:33 PM   #48
1avatar328
Teh Roflcopter

I got a pair of Samson CH70's with my amp, they have good everything, long cable, durable, eliminate all outside noise, they are now my everyday headphones, I think they were like $17

Lol Cross. The Power of LOL Compels you!
1avatar328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:31 AM   #49
Quintessence153
UG's Burninator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mental_zer0
I can't recommend Sennheiser's HD280 Pros enough. Especially for the price. I've had them for a year now, fantastic headphones.

I've had my HD280's for a little over a year now, and I love them to death.

That said, the bass is slightly lacking, and the overall sound quality is quite good, but not amazing. Regardless, the SQ blows my friend's Bose Triports out of the water to say the least, and I have some reasons to rave: The cord is wonderful (I adore the springy style, and the spring tension is just right - the Baby Bear's porridge of spring constants, if you will) and the isolation is fantastic.

Apparently, the HD280 is a divisive topic among audiophiles. I suppose I could see why one might not care for the 280, but I remain steadfast in my love.

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNO-TOAD

Last edited by Quintessence153 : 02-13-2010 at 05:44 AM.
Quintessence153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:20 PM   #50
Somekid94
Dingus

I have a question for you headphone guru's here.
A while back I had a pair of Logitech Headphone/mic combo set things and they broke under normal use, so I just used my Sony MDR V150's to listen to music and play games. Fast forward to now, I got pissed at COD: MW2 one day and like an idiot, threw my Sony's and broke them.. I need a new pair of headphones that will be good great for music and good for gaming. I listen to music like Bullet for my Valentine, All That Remains, Children of Bodom, Breaking Benjamin, and some Parkway Drive.
I have narrowed my search down to a Plantronics headset, the Gamecon 367. (Yes, a walmart link) Would these be good enough for music? I have looked at many reviews, and none of them give a good description of the sound when listening to music, much less my music. The reviews have, however, said the mic was very good and it sounded good in-game. Halp meh?

TLDR: Are the Plantronics GameCon 367's good great for music?
Somekid94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:37 PM   #51
faultyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somekid94
I have a question for you headphone guru's here.
A while back I had a pair of Logitech Headphone/mic combo set things and they broke under normal use, so I just used my Sony MDR V150's to listen to music and play games. Fast forward to now, I got pissed at COD: MW2 one day and like an idiot, threw my Sony's and broke them.. I need a new pair of headphones that will be good great for music and good for gaming. I listen to music like Bullet for my Valentine, All That Remains, Children of Bodom, Breaking Benjamin, and some Parkway Drive.
I have narrowed my search down to a Plantronics headset, the Gamecon 367. (Yes, a walmart link) Would these be good enough for music? I have looked at many reviews, and none of them give a good description of the sound when listening to music, much less my music. The reviews have, however, said the mic was very good and it sounded good in-game. Halp meh?

TLDR: Are the Plantronics GameCon 367's good great for music?

Personally I'd go for something from a brand that has form for making audio equipment as opposed to some no name gaming company, you can probably get some Sennheiser HD415's for around that price and I'd be willing to bet money they will sound better

Old 02-13-2010, 06:11 PM   #52
Somekid94
Dingus

Thanks, but I need a pair of headphones that are a closed-back around ear and have a microphone. The pair that you suggested is great, but doesn't have/do what I need.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:15 PM   #53
SwampAshSpecial
UG's PRS Guru

I just picked up a pair of Shure SRH240s
review:
AMAZING! These are probably the best phones I've tried for under 100. Closed Back, VERY TIGHT BASS and and very responsive to EQ changes - if you're using a device with EQ options, fiddle with them for a bit...

I really can't fault these - no sound leak, crystal clear quality, a reasonable price - only thing is, you really need to push them pretty hard.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:17 PM   #54
faultyy

Quote:
Thanks, but I need a pair of headphones that are a closed-back around ear and have a microphone. The pair that you suggested is great, but doesn't have/do what I need.

Oops, ignore that in that case lol.

I dont hreally have a clue about built in mics, would a decent pair of headphones with a seperate mic work?

Old 02-13-2010, 06:17 PM   #55
i_don't_know
Christmas reindeer FTW.

Quote:
stuff
Don't buy a gaming headset. They are cheaply made, not to mention the mic is usually the first thing to go, rendering them useless for gaming.

Soundstage and positioning are important in gaming, so you'll want open-back headphones.

Get these:
http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-...m/dp/B000CMS0XU

And equip them with one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Microp...e/dp/B00029MTMQ
i_don't_know is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 06:43 PM   #56
Somekid94
Dingus

Thanks, but I'm not looking to spend $105 on all this stuff. My max is $50.
I'm not looking for the best audiophile headset. I'm just looking for a decent headset with a mic that will sound good with music.. Will these work? http://www.walmart.com/ip/eDimensio...eadset/11962558
Old 02-13-2010, 06:44 PM   #57
Karvid
Rips Out Spleens

TS, I made a thread at one point (a really long time ago... and it didn't work out at all), but somebody posted a really detailed list of headphones and prices, which you could use in your original post.
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...eadphone+thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobTheMe
Karvid is sexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
Karvid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:09 PM   #58
SlayingDragons
UG's.

Hey, I need a decent pair of headphones just for listening to music at home, but I'm pretty tight on cash, so I was wondering if these are any good.

These
or
These

They don't have to be amazing, I just need some headphones that are better then the ones that come with ipods. If there are any better headphones then these for like 30 bucks, then please tell me.
SlayingDragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:12 PM   #59
captaincrunk
See, I Got News for You.

My HD 380 pro set is top rate... It's a DJ/monitor headphone, and one of the best closed ear systems I could find.

EDIT: They were 200 USD to those interested.
#15 in the 2012 top 100
#23 in the 2010 top 100

NEW UG ALBUM! GET UG ELECTRONIC ALBUM: DISC THREE TODAY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by element4433
I respect crunk.

Last edited by captaincrunk : 02-13-2010 at 10:16 PM.
captaincrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:43 PM   #60
bearsfan092
JIGGGGLYYY

Oh man this thread comes at just about the perfect time for me.

Does anyone here have a good suggestion for a decent pair of clip behind the ear/in ear phones. I'm not talking earbuds like the type that come packaged with an Ipod. I'd like it to be under 50 USD, sound passable, and stay in my ear while running. Earbuds don't stay in my ear during runs.
bearsfan092 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: