Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-24-2010, 06:21 AM   #1
Village-idiot
*=RHCP 4 Life=*

Question Glued Neck Joint help

for my guitar i plan on doing a glue in neck joint ( I think the mortise and tenon is the best/usual kind) but i need to know how thick the neck needs to be where it is glued on to the guitar, that is how deep into the body is the neck usually glued? Is there a ratio because my guitar body is about 40mm thick?
Village-idiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:54 AM   #2
guitarcam123

There's not a certain size that should be used. I've seen top quality guitars with set necks with heels the same size as an Ibanez AANJ, the only difference being is that the neck tenon extends through the neck pickup cavity. But then there are the more common set neck sized joints which you would see on a Les paul or PRS.

The glue area for a scarf joint (which has the same amount of tension on it to the neck pocket) is much smaller than a neck pocket, plus the grain is glued end grain to long grain and it stands up fine to the tension from the strings. A neck pocket has a much larger glue surface area and the grain is all end grain to end grain and long grain to long grain, so really any size neck heel should be fine, but if you want to be safe and have a better neck to body join, I'd recommend a bigger heel and/ or a longer tenon that a standard Ibanez AANJ neck.
guitarcam123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:20 AM   #3
SomeoneYouKnew
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarcam123
There's not a certain size that should be used. I've seen top quality guitars with set necks with heels the same size as an Ibanez AANJ, the only difference being is that the neck tenon extends through the neck pickup cavity. But then there are the more common set neck sized joints which you would see on a Les paul or PRS.

The glue area for a scarf joint (which has the same amount of tension on it to the neck pocket) is much smaller than a neck pocket, plus the grain is glued end grain to long grain and it stands up fine to the tension from the strings. A neck pocket has a much larger glue surface area and the grain is all end grain to end grain and long grain to long grain, so really any size neck heel should be fine, but if you want to be safe and have a better neck to body join, I'd recommend a bigger heel and/ or a longer tenon that a standard Ibanez AANJ neck.
You simply can't compare the two. Apples and oranges.

The distance between the tuners and the scarf joint is relatively short. That determines the amount of torque possible on the joint.

Now look at the location of the neck/body joint. About half the string length is involved here. The entire neck acts as a lever, attempting to shear the tenon. Without sufficient thickness and width, that tenon will snap.
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
SomeoneYouKnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:26 AM   #4
Metalhead_28
UG Board King

There is no rule.

I would not want less than 3/8" to 1/2" of material below the neck, and I would not want less than 3/4" of glued sidewall on the neck.

Those are just my ideas, I'm not saying you can't stray from them for any reason.
Metalhead_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:12 PM   #5
Village-idiot
*=RHCP 4 Life=*

ok so im thinking i will make the neck pocket about as deep as the pocket on a screw in neck and have the heel about the same as the heel on a screw in neck, except i will extend the tenon through the first pickup cavity. does this sound okay?
Village-idiot is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: