Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-19-2014, 02:11 PM   #1
psycho-iko

Suhr Riot Clone Mod Help

Hey fellow shredders...I have a special project in mind! I have a clone of a Suhr Riot and it rocks but I have recently fell in love with "fuzz" in some of my playing and don't want to add any more pedals so I was wondering if there was a way to modify the circuitry to the Riot board to get the "fuzz" I want. I'm good at soldering and have some knowledge of basic parts. Thanks for any help.
psycho-iko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 10:45 PM   #2
psycho-iko

Ok...well this must be some Top Secret sh**....lol. How about this people...if anyone knows anyone that knows how to do this kind of mod let me know and I can pay for a schematic....
Old 10-21-2014, 03:49 AM   #3
Invader Jim

It's not that it's "top secret", it's that there are only a couple of GB&C regulars left and we don't post often.

I found this, hope it helps. I know nothing about this pedal, sorry.
http://www.freestompboxes.org/viewt...10133&start=240
Old 10-21-2014, 02:41 PM   #4
psycho-iko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invader Jim
It's not that it's "top secret", it's that there are only a couple of GB&C regulars left and we don't post often.

I found this, hope it helps. I know nothing about this pedal, sorry.
http://www.freestompboxes.org/viewt...10133&start=240

Hey...thanks a bunch!! I hope I didn't mean sarcastic to the community...I was trying to be a little humorous. I suppose I could use that schematic and maybe get a schematic of the "Big Muff" and figure out how to merge the "fuzz" components in on my board....I just have to find someone who knows what components make the "fuzz" happen...lol.

Again, thanks for responding.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:23 PM   #5
bornfidelity
UG Guitar Wars I Champion

Hey, the old fuzz boxes were far simpler than the riot is, I think it would be easier making one from scratch than modding the riot! Why don't you want another pedal again?
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
bornfidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 10:12 PM   #6
Invader Jim

I knew you were being humorous, I was just saying that this forum is pretty dead most of the time. No harm done.

Anyway I took a look at the diagram (couldn't the other day because we didn't have Wi-Fi set up yet) and all Tue clipping is done by the diodes and LEDs around the switch (or is it a relay?).

You could mess with those but it won't affect the gain very much, only the timbre and amount of clipping. Lots of info online about the tone of various types of diode clippers.

To mess with the gain of the circuit, the negative-feedback loop of u1b and also of u2a can be tweaked. Lots of info about that online too.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:10 PM   #7
psycho-iko

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornfidelity
Hey, the old fuzz boxes were far simpler than the riot is, I think it would be easier making one from scratch than modding the riot! Why don't you want another pedal again?

I don't want to add another pedal because I like to keep my stuff simple and very mobile...The Riot just has a kick-ass sound to it though...I mean I could just buy a Muff and add some punch to it but the Riot has a really killer tone...
Old 10-22-2014, 12:35 AM   #8
psycho-iko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invader Jim
I knew you were being humorous, I was just saying that this forum is pretty dead most of the time. No harm done.

Anyway I took a look at the diagram (couldn't the other day because we didn't have Wi-Fi set up yet) and all Tue clipping is done by the diodes and LEDs around the switch (or is it a relay?).

You could mess with those but it won't affect the gain very much, only the timbre and amount of clipping. Lots of info online about the tone of various types of diode clippers.

To mess with the gain of the circuit, the negative-feedback loop of u1b and also of u2a can be tweaked. Lots of info about that online too.

Ahh...great information! I'll definitely check it out now that I have a starting point..

Rate This Thread: