Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-11-2014, 07:26 AM   #1
nathan:-)
'Straya

New Strat, Wiring Problems..

Hi all,
Today I bought myself a beautiful lake placid blue MIA Strat. I cracked open the insides to take a look as there was the sound of something rattling around.
Turns out that there are a few loose wires and some loose bits of solder rattling around! I'm guessing they just broke off from the tone pot or something but it l thought I'd ask the experts here what I should do. My Dad (an electrician) told me they would just need to be soldered onto the tone pot and are just grounding wires.

The bridge pup is a Seymour Duncan Little '59 humbucker-sized single coil. Not sure if that has anything to do with it or not though. To me it looked like the wires were deliberately not soldered back for whatever reason.

Also, what's the go with the neck and the hole in the body? I haven't seen the mechanism in the neck joint before, anyone care to enlighten me?
Thanks!

Pics below

nathan:-) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:56 AM   #2
Way Cool JR.
The 'L80s Man.

Those wires were more than likely soldered to the back (casing) of the pots. As bad as that soldering job looks I'm not surprised they came off. The hole in the body I'v heard that it's used for guiding/supporting the guitar during the CNC process, I don't know if that's totally true or not.

The thing on your neck is called the "Micro Tilt", it helps you adjust the angle/tilt of the neck for fine adjustments. IMO they are worthless and only rob your guitar of sustain if they are used. You are better off shimming the neck properly if you nee to adjust the angle.

Just Google the Fender Micro Tilt system and I'm sure there's plenty of info on how they work. All my experience with them is personal experience, and I'm not to great at explaining stuff,lol. So a video or manual on them would be much more helpfully to you.

EDIT:
After looking at the pics a little better, it looks like those 2 sets of wires could have even been soldered together. It does appear that the one set is still soldered the back of the pot , and the other set is clearly a ground to the body and the trem claw.

Last edited by Way Cool JR. : 12-11-2014 at 10:09 AM.
Way Cool JR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:09 PM   #3
'Straya

Thanks for the reply. I'll run that past my dad and see what he thinks

I think you're right about the wires just being connected together. It looks like the wires were cut and then soldered back together, and then broke apart.
Would you recommend soldering them back together or re-soldering two completely new wires to the ground and trem?

Last edited by nathan:-) : 12-11-2014 at 07:18 PM.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:13 PM   #4
Way Cool JR.
The 'L80s Man.

You should be fine soldering them all together since they are all grounds. It's important to get the bridge grounded for you don't get any unwanted buzzing. Also it would be best to tape off, or put heat shrink on there to keep the bare wires from touching anything they shouldn't. This way you wont get any shorts causing you anymore unwanted problems.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:21 PM   #5
mrken

Hi
My name is jack
I'm a new member
Nice to meet you
mrken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 02:15 AM   #6
'Straya

UPDATE:
For those interested, I soldered the two wires together and wrapped them in heat-shrink.
It was a grounding issue, previous hissing/buzz issues are now gone.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:50 AM   #7
Way Cool JR.
The 'L80s Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan:-)
UPDATE:
For those interested, I soldered the two wires together and wrapped them in heat-shrink.
It was a grounding issue, previous hissing/buzz issues are now gone.

That's awesome. Enjoy your new guitar.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:16 AM   #8
'Straya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way Cool JR.
That's awesome. Enjoy your new guitar.

Thanks! Thanks for the help also
Old 12-13-2014, 12:39 PM   #9
Way Cool JR.