Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-16-2015, 03:37 AM   #1
MindIsMaster

OMFG I'm lost... Pickup suggestions.

So I want to change the pickups in my HSS Strat.

I mainly want to change the Humbucker (for now) in the bridge to something with more mids and smoother highs... also it needs to sound amazing when the coils are split.

The pickups I have in there right now are rated (from neck to bridge) 9.2, 9.8, 13.5ish and the magnets are A2, A2, A5. I don't want the HB to have lower output then what's in there if anything I would want more.

Right now I'm very interested in a lot of what Bare Knuckle Pickups has to offer, also was interested in the Muy Grande by Rio Grande but I've kind have lost interest after reading forums and listening to sound samples.

the BKP I'm considering from what I've heard/read are;

Abraxas - I really like the vintage sweetness this pickup has and am wondering if the A4 magnet will help it have more of a seamless blend with the A2 single coils I have in the N/M ATM.

Rebel Yell - Sounds very organic, bouncy and punchy clean & distorted.

Crawler/Nailbomb/Holy Diver - they all sound very similar to me but have slightly different characteristics, and I feel that the higher output would make the coil-split more usable.

If anybody has some other suggestions for pickups to consider I would be down to hear them...

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by MindIsMaster : 01-16-2015 at 04:10 AM.
MindIsMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 12:34 PM   #2
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

what pickups are in there already?

I'd say (from my very limited experience, though I think I've heard other people say this too) that BKPs are probably less compressed-sounding than other pickups (at least from the major machine-wound manufacturers like dimarzio and duncan) at the same output rating, so that'd be worth bearing in mind, depending on how compressed you like things to sound.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 05:06 PM   #3
MindIsMaster

I hate compressed pickups, the more open and organic the better.

The pickups that are in there are an obscure boutique brand that I had made... there's a long annoying story behind that but I don't feel like re-posting it.

Last edited by MindIsMaster : 01-16-2015 at 05:09 PM.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:10 PM   #4
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

fair enough. if you don't want compressed you might want to go lower in output, though.

Old 01-16-2015, 06:41 PM   #5
Cajundaddy

Duncan JB, vintage rails, cool rails. This demo has 2/3.

Old 01-17-2015, 03:01 AM   #6
MindIsMaster

LOL I'm a cork sniffer who wants boutique.
Old 01-17-2015, 08:09 AM   #7
-MintSauce-
Time Lord

It might be worth checking http://www.bulldogpickups.com/ and http://www.rockmonkeyguitars.com/ if you're in the UK.
-MintSauce- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 08:39 AM   #8
MindIsMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by -MintSauce-
It might be worth checking http://www.bulldogpickups.com/ and http://www.rockmonkeyguitars.com/ if you're in the UK.

Thank you for posting something that's more my style... I forgot about Bulldog, never heard of Rockmonkey.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:28 AM   #9
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

probably look into oil city, mojo (there are two mojos in the UK, one in england and one in northern ireland ), catswhisker, shed and the creamery as well. there are probably a load more too. I haven't tried any of those, fwiw.

Rate This Thread: