Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-23-2015, 08:32 PM   #1
Sk3ltz

Wiring a stereo combo into a head

Hey,
I've been working on turning my Fender Princteon Chorus 2x10 combo into a separate head and cabinet so that I can get more options in my amp sounds (and also as a fun project) and while reading the guide on turning a combo into a head ran into a bit of a confusing bit. The princeton chorus (I imagine because its stereo) has two sets of positive and negative wires with a set running to each individual speaker. I dont much care for the whole stereo thing so is there a way to wire them both to one jack?

If not would i have to wire them each to an individual jack and then be forced to use a stereo cab or maybe can I just use one out? (in which case i would be getting 25.5 watts instead of 51 right?)

If anyone could help out that would be very much appreciated.
(On a side not can anyone help me on soldering GLS audio jacks i dont understand where the positive and negative should go)
Sk3ltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 09:24 PM   #2
dspellman

You're going to have to find out if that power amp can be bridged to a mono output. Honestly, I think Fender was probably too cheap to add that.

What they HAVE done is (on some of the Chorus amps) provided a mono output (for an FX loop) from the *preamp*. This is done *before* the stereo chorus (so you won't get any of that). The stereo outputs for an FX loop happen *after* the stereo chorus, but in order to get the stereo effect, you need to run those into a stereo power amp of some kind. If you don't care for "the whole stereo thing" you need to find a stereo power amp that can be bridged and run in mono. They're out there.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 09:41 PM   #3
Sk3ltz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspellman
You're going to have to find out if that power amp can be bridged to a mono output. Honestly, I think Fender was probably too cheap to add that.

What they HAVE done is (on some of the Chorus amps) provided a mono output (for an FX loop) from the *preamp*. This is done *before* the stereo chorus (so you won't get any of that). The stereo outputs for an FX loop happen *after* the stereo chorus, but in order to get the stereo effect, you need to run those into a stereo power amp of some kind. If you don't care for "the whole stereo thing" you need to find a stereo power amp that can be bridged and run in mono. They're out there.

Hmmmm. Thanks for the response. How would I find out if the power amp is constructed in such a way that I would be able to bridge it into a mono output? Also the stuff you say about the mono FX loop, I dont think I'm understanding how that could help me. Is there a way to bypass the stereo effects and somehow use that output to drive a cab?
Sk3ltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 10:18 PM   #4
dspellman

You can't drive a cabinet with it. You COULD drive a power amp which could drive a cabinet. Or you could drive a powered speaker with it.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:40 AM   #5
PSimonR
PSR

From the questions you ask, I don't think you know enough about electricity to do this on your own.

To bridge two amplifiers you need to invert the input signal to one of them. You could re-wire IC U8 to do this. You then connect a mono cabinet across the two outputs. Quite honestly I wouldn't bother, if you want better speakers just buy a cab with 2 8 ohm speakers and use it in stereo.

http://support.fender.com/manuals/g...orus_manual.pdf
http://www.amparchives.com/album/Fe...g if_orig.html

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/lgbt/
PSimonR is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: