Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-28-2010, 02:15 PM   #21
Schism1985
5/4 6/4 13/8 10/8 11/8

VII. Anything we missed?/"How To Post A Question"

If after reading this you still have questions, go ahead and post your inquiry in this thread. If you start a separate thread that regards buying pickups, it will be closed. If you have a question pertaining specifically to wiring, go ahead and post it in the Ultimate Guitar Wiring Thread ( http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1019006 ).

If you feel like you have a worthy contribution to the thread, you can post it on the main page of this group for review:

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/gbcpickupthread/

Or send it in a PM to one of GB&C’s mods (whose approval is needed for pretty much everything we post in the OPs of Ultimate threads). You can PM your contribution directly to me if you want, but I’ll still have to run it by the other contributors and one of the mods before adding it.

A reminder:

As with any other section of this forum, flaming and spam of any kind is strictly forbidden. If you post something in here that’s overly rude, biased or simply doesn’t belong in this thread, you will be reported and possibly banned.

So instead of saying: “Don’t get pickup A!!!11 Pickup A sucks, I hate it!! anyone who buys one is a ****ing IDIOT!!!111oneone”

Say something like: “Pickup A has bad cleans and gets muddy on high gain settings. I definitely wouldn’t recommend it.”

If you want to debate with someone about different pickups, do it through PMs, not in here.

Important: Spreading false or inaccurate information not only makes you look like a tool, but also can get you put on GB&C’s blacklist and possibly result in a warning or even a ban for continued offenses.

How to post a question

There are no real "rules" for posting a question in this thread, but if you want a quick and accurate response, you should always include the following information:

1-Type (brand and model) of guitar you're upgrading
2-Current pickups the guitar has
3- Current amplifier
4-Desired tone (be specific)
5-Budget
Warmoth: Custom Soloist

Last edited by Schism1985 : 03-14-2010 at 10:25 PM.
Schism1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:47 PM   #22
oneblackened
Future Breed Machine

Nicely done!

Let me be the first to say something:
The D-Sonic works VERY well in a les paul in E standard with the rail facing the neck. Ballsy as hell, and very clear to boot.
The Duncan Distortion does work pretty well in Alder, provided you don't have your treble cranked. Very "sizzly" sounding.
LTD AW-7 (Dimarzio D-Activator 7s, Hipshot Bridge)
oneblackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 03:19 PM   #23
GravyFish
Noob Apprentice

We are long overdue for a thread of this sort. The descriptions of individual pickup models is very interesting and very helpful since it's virtually impossible to try them all out yourself. Thanks a bunch!

Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
GravyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:37 PM   #24
Invader Jim

Stuck. What about Rockfield?

Also, I have an Evoloution and it has plenty of low end. i'm using it in a guitar that is either basswood or (probably) poplar. idk how old the pup is though. looks like an old one but i've never seen the bottom of a new one. just throwing that in there.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:06 PM   #25
blandguitar
Retired Posting Machine

That Evo is probably about 5 years Jim, if I had to guess. (Came out of my used dime333 before going to Brian)

Wah
Need Wiring Help?
Ultimate Threads

Rydw i'n dysgu Cymraeg.
blandguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:42 PM   #26
Jason Jillard
Luthier

kudos.

very very good.
Jason Jillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:22 PM   #27
divinorum69
Ahhh Buenos Aires, te amo

SO good. Congratulations

Mach Telecaster Video Test

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
divinorum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:57 AM   #28
thenextkirk92
We're Here

So is here the right place to ask about pickups then? I'm looking for a stacked pickup for my strat's bridge slot. It'll be mostly distorted. I've got the neck pickup for cleans. Any suggestions?
thenextkirk92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:07 AM   #29
Invader Jim

^Yes, any and all "which pickups?" questions shall now be posted in this thread.

thanks jared
Old 03-01-2010, 01:16 AM   #30
ECistheBest
Makes Pedals for YOU!

hey hey we gotta include our UG's one and only Rock Monkey Guitars pickups handwound in the UK by our fellow user CorduroyEW!!!

this is an awesome thread tho. it's hard to post reviews on every pickup out there though.

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
ECistheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 03:31 AM   #31
Funk Monk
Shutup N' Play Yer Guitar

I'm looking for a Bridge Humbucker to put In a Jackson D2KL. I need something versatile, but I mainly play funk. As an example I regularly play RHCP's Freaky Styley Album through as part of my practice, So I need something brighter or slightly thinner sounding.The only one that really caught my attention is the bluesbucker, when split especially. Is there something else that you could possibly reccommend?

Thanks

Extra:
I really play all over the board however, and if I can better achieve this brighter tone with a versatile humbucker and a certain amp I will take that route instead, I just have no complaints with my amp.
Funk Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 03:44 AM   #32
littlephil

The Dimarzio Humbucker From Hell is really low output (for a humbucker) and sounds pretty thin. Maybe try that? I've heard it sounds almost like a single coil.
littlephil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 03:57 AM   #33
Funk Monk

Cool i'll look it up right now.

I had another quick question.
What makes a humbucker able to split? Would I be able to do it with any Humbucker?
Old 03-01-2010, 04:25 AM   #34
littlephil

It has to be 4 conductor. Some are 3 conductor (so you cant change the wiring to switch which coil stays on) but they are pretty uncommon.
littlephil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 04:40 AM   #35
wiliscool
Call me Deacon Blues

Another thing you may want to look into Funk Monk, is getting a decently high output humbucker (I'm thinking something middle of the pack like a Gibson 490T) and putting the coils in parallel. As you may or may not know, the two coils of a humbucker are wired in series, and putting them in parallel will give you a sound that's a little weaker but not really all that thinner. For a really thin sound, you can put the two coils out of phase. Probably the only thing you can play with an out of phase setup is funk. And of course, you can use a switch to activate these just like you would with a coil split.
wiliscool is just plain dumb
wiliscool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:18 AM   #36
MH400
‭‭

Awesome. You made me want to swap my 85 for an 81.
MH400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:27 AM   #37
Funk Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiliscool
Another thing you may want to look into Funk Monk, is getting a decently high output humbucker (I'm thinking something middle of the pack like a Gibson 490T) and putting the coils in parallel. As you may or may not know, the two coils of a humbucker are wired in series, and putting them in parallel will give you a sound that's a little weaker but not really all that thinner. For a really thin sound, you can put the two coils out of phase. Probably the only thing you can play with an out of phase setup is funk. And of course, you can use a switch to activate these just like you would with a coil split.

how would I go about putting a humbucker "out of phase"? Are there any guitarist how have used this so I could give it a listen? thanks.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:03 PM   #38
thispaceforent

im thinking about buying a squier strat that i found the other day to mod a lil bit. im wanting to know of some good distorted/grungey type of pickups i can put into it. ive done a little looking and have found that a dimarzio super distortion or a seymour duncan jb might work. i would appreciate any help thanx
thispaceforent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:01 PM   #39
metalwarrior40
UG Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk Monk
how would I go about putting a humbucker "out of phase"? Are there any guitarist how have used this so I could give it a listen? thanks.

check the wiring thread, all you need to know is there in the first couple post, including the diagram you need.
Originally Posted by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
metalwarrior40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:21 PM   #40
Comrade Curry
Bruised & Confused

I had this idea a long time ago, but it never came to paper, very organized and neat, nice job

Rate This Thread: