Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-05-2010, 10:42 PM   #61
Crimson21

I have a highway one stratocaster that I want to put a humbucker in the bridge and a hot rails style neck pickup in to play metal. I intend to down tune to like drop A, and B. Would a full shred or JB be too bright even down tuned? or retain clarity? And would the hot rails neck pickup retain clarity tuned low? I'll be using a lot of gain. I'm open to any suggestions for both pickups, thanks
Crimson21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:09 AM   #62
Schism1985
5/4 6/4 13/8 10/8 11/8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson21
I have a highway one stratocaster that I want to put a humbucker in the bridge and a hot rails style neck pickup in to play metal. I intend to down tune to like drop A, and B. Would a full shred or JB be too bright even down tuned? or retain clarity? And would the hot rails neck pickup retain clarity tuned low? I'll be using a lot of gain. I'm open to any suggestions for both pickups, thanks

From what i've heard, the JB should be okay, however a stratocaster is certainly no metal guitar. Alder (or ash or whatever Fender's using these days) is a very bright tone wood, your guitar may sound a bit shrill on higher gain settings.

Perhaps consider some non-X series EMGs if you're dead set on modding your strat for heavier styles.
Warmoth: Custom Soloist
Schism1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:12 AM   #63
Invader Jim

wondering if an Evolution bridge pup will go well with my Vex. the guitar has a mahogany body and neck, maple top. wanting something with less bass than the rockfield mafias that it has in it now. i dont want to make it non-stock if it wont do much good, which is why i came here instead of just trying it like i normally would.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:18 AM   #64
ECistheBest
Makes Pedals for YOU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxunder-takerxx
well i almost know for a fact its not a piezo, and his sig pickups dont have enough wires for splitting or parallel.

i also realize i wont get that exact tone, it actually sounds a little flat to me, but i just wanted to point that out as the base of what im looking for.

you never know if he even uses his sig pickups lol... a lot of artists just let fender/gibson use their name and use their vintage '59 les paul...

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
ECistheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:45 AM   #65
xxunder-takerxx
The UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECistheBest
you never know if he even uses his sig pickups lol... a lot of artists just let fender/gibson use their name and use their vintage '59 les paul...

yea thats true, but im pretty sure hes done like a gear run down and said he uses them in all of his guitars. all i really know is that his switch is all the way up during cleans (3 way toggle).

but anywho, can anyone help me?
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC

Last edited by xxunder-takerxx : 03-06-2010 at 12:53 AM.
xxunder-takerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:34 AM   #66
Mike-T93

I have the Jazz and JB in my Les Paul ripoff. It was a pretty muddy guitar when I got it and they really cleaned it up. I'd post audio, but I just have a webcam mic. I'll try to borrow my school's SM57 sometime. I don't think you can really go wrong with the set, though, they sound good. Most of the sound in that vid probably comes from effects and the amp, so just get pickups you like the sound of really.

Last edited by Mike-T93 : 03-06-2010 at 01:35 AM.
Mike-T93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:45 AM   #67
xxunder-takerxx
The UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-T93
I have the Jazz and JB in my Les Paul ripoff. It was a pretty muddy guitar when I got it and they really cleaned it up. I'd post audio, but I just have a webcam mic. I'll try to borrow my school's SM57 sometime. I don't think you can really go wrong with the set, though, they sound good. Most of the sound in that vid probably comes from effects and the amp, so just get pickups you like the sound of really.

not really sure who ur talking to, but ill respond anyway lol.

the problem with choosing a pickups is u cant really try them out, only a certain few. i hear nothing but good about the jazz, but same thing for the jb and i really didnt like the jb. way to bright for me, even in a les paul. i def like smoother and darker tones.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:35 PM   #68
Baby Joel
Sorry for ruining UG :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invader Jim
wondering if an Evolution bridge pup will go well with my Vex. the guitar has a mahogany body and neck, maple top. wanting something with less bass than the rockfield mafias that it has in it now. i dont want to make it non-stock if it wont do much good, which is why i came here instead of just trying it like i normally would.

I'm pretty sure it will sound more than awesome. Pickups like that that are really good at making a super clear bass are really good for mahogany guitars.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:46 PM   #69
Invader Jim

sounds good, thanks
Old 03-06-2010, 07:55 PM   #70
Mike-T93

Quote:
not really sure who ur talking to, but ill respond anyway lol.

the problem with choosing a pickups is u cant really try them out, only a certain few. i hear nothing but good about the jazz, but same thing for the jb and i really didnt like the jb. way to bright for me, even in a les paul. i def like smoother and darker tones.

Well, you were the one talking about the Jazz, I guess you picked up on it. I don't have personal experience with other SDs, but it seems like you might like the SH11 in the bridge based on what I've heard about it.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:42 PM   #71
xxunder-takerxx
The UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-T93
Well, you were the one talking about the Jazz, I guess you picked up on it. I don't have personal experience with other SDs, but it seems like you might like the SH11 in the bridge based on what I've heard about it.

i dont need a bridge pickup, im loving the evo. and i havent changed my sig, i thought the guitar i was getting had a jazz but they were wrong, which is why im getting a new neck pickup.

but unless any suggestions really hit me, i think im going to go with an air norton. im not sure yet thought so if anyone has anything else to say to me, please do.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:30 PM   #72
Mike-T93

Quote:
i dont need a bridge pickup, im loving the evo. and i havent changed my sig, i thought the guitar i was getting had a jazz but they were wrong, which is why im getting a new neck pickup.

but unless any suggestions really hit me, i think im going to go with an air norton. im not sure yet thought so if anyone has anything else to say to me, please do.

Oh ok. Idk, only thing I can really tell you then is you'd probably like the Jazz. I have no experience with the Air Norton, though, so good luck
Old 03-07-2010, 04:13 AM   #73
the_perdestrian
UG's insomiac

I might be getting a vintage kay vangaurd soon and was wondering what I shdould put in it. It currently is missing all its electronics but is routed for dual humbuckers. I was thinking something really distorted in the bridge for punk/grunge/hard rock and something clean and maybe a little bright in the neck for fingerpicking and ska. I would also love anything that sounds vintage, because this guitar is like 46 years old.

I would like to keep this pretty cheap as well. I'mnot sure how much a good humbucker costs, but lets keep it reasonable please.
the_perdestrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:01 PM   #74
Schism1985
5/4 6/4 13/8 10/8 11/8

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_perdestrian
I might be getting a vintage kay vangaurd soon and was wondering what I shdould put in it. It currently is missing all its electronics but is routed for dual humbuckers. I was thinking something really distorted in the bridge for punk/grunge/hard rock and something clean and maybe a little bright in the neck for fingerpicking and ska. I would also love anything that sounds vintage, because this guitar is like 46 years old.

I would like to keep this pretty cheap as well. I'mnot sure how much a good humbucker costs, but lets keep it reasonable please.

Rough budget?
Old 03-07-2010, 08:32 PM   #75
the_perdestrian
UG's insomiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism1985
Rough budget?

Im gonna have to save up for them anyway. I don't really have a budget but im looking for like mid-level quality pickups. I don't want to say an actually number because I don't really know what the costs of pickups are. Id be willing to spend up to like $175 If I had to, but I really don't want to spend that much. 100 dollars or less would be best, but I don't know if I can get anything of quality at that price. I might just end up getting some used gibsons or something.
the_perdestrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:17 PM   #76
Schism1985
5/4 6/4 13/8 10/8 11/8

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_perdestrian
Im gonna have to save up for them anyway. I don't really have a budget but im looking for like mid-level quality pickups. I don't want to say an actually number because I don't really know what the costs of pickups are. Id be willing to spend up to like $175 If I had to, but I really don't want to spend that much. 100 dollars or less would be best, but I don't know if I can get anything of quality at that price. I might just end up getting some used gibsons or something.

Alright, well for a bridge pickup it sounds like you may want to check out something like the Seymour Duncan SH-11 (http://www.seymourduncan.com/produc...11_custom_cus/), which is a high output humbucker that'll still have that warm vintage sound you're looking for.

For the neck pickup, perhaps consider the Seymour Duncan Phat Cat (http://www.seymourduncan.com/produc...h901_phat_cat/), it's actually a moderate output single coil in humbucker housing. It may be a little bit warmer than what you're looking for though.

I'm too lazy to check prices, but they'll probably cost somewhere around $160.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:21 PM   #77
minnis

Im not sure if this question goes here, if not please redirect me!
I am left handed, and am replacing the bridge single coil of my strat with a rails humbucker. Will i need to turn it upside down, will i need to change the wires round or do i just leave it and fit it like it was a righty? I dont care if it gives me a different sound (hendrix used righty pickups didnt he?) and if it messes up the EQ then that isnt a problem, i have a pedal to fix that. My main concern is whether or not it will work upside down.
minnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:37 PM   #78
oneblackened
Future Breed Machine

Fit is as a righty.
LTD AW-7 (Dimarzio D-Activator 7s, Hipshot Bridge)
oneblackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:31 PM   #79
minnis

Thanks for that!
Will this sound the same as it would in a righty, even though the strings are reversed? And will i have any EQ problems? I know i would if they were staggered for righty, but im not sure as its a rails bucker.
minnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:02 PM   #80
luyano
Hola

I wanted to ask if is possible to add single coils/stacked humbckers to the List Of Popular Pickups w/ Descriptions?
I think that i will help a lot people.

Rate This Thread: