Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-21-2013, 12:21 AM   #901
Maineguitarist
Go to Mainer

.... where is the P90's section?
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.

Maineguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:00 PM   #902
gabipe15

Let's see if someone can help me out!
I have 2 guitars and want a change in both.

For MIM strat i want to change the bridge pickup, to some metal distortion one, humbucker like, with crunch and definition. I want to leave the stock on neck adn middle.

For Epiphone SG G400 Faded i want a combination that can take tight distortion with big crunchy tones out of the bridge pickup, and a slightly versatile jazzy-bluesy neck pickup with more low-end for soloing or some leads.

What would you recommend?
gabipe15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:29 AM   #903
kurt_cobain9
UG's Favorite Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabipe15
Let's see if someone can help me out!
I have 2 guitars and want a change in both.

For MIM strat i want to change the bridge pickup, to some metal distortion one, humbucker like, with crunch and definition. I want to leave the stock on neck adn middle.

For Epiphone SG G400 Faded i want a combination that can take tight distortion with big crunchy tones out of the bridge pickup, and a slightly versatile jazzy-bluesy neck pickup with more low-end for soloing or some leads.

What would you recommend?

for your MIM, I recommend a JB Jr, a Hot Rail or a Super Distortion S.

for your Epi, Duncan Distortion in the bridge is pretty sweet. So is a Arcane PX-100 if you are into P90's. Speaking of P90's, a Tonerider Rebel 90 may suit you really well in the neck position. It's alnico II. pretty sweet sounding pickup. affordable too.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That aside, could use some advice myself.

Alright, I'm in the process of building a parts strat. I've decided to go with a Dimarzio Red Velvet in the bridge position and a Duncan Five-Two in the neck. Any recommendations for a middle pickup? I'm looking for a single coil, RWRP. I play a lot of Alternative, punk, a little metal and I also tend to play a lot of clean bluesy stuff which is basically covered by my neck pickup though sometimes I don't mind mixing the middle in a bit. I need it to rock, but I also need it to sound well in the clean channel. Amps I'm using are a Fender Deluxe Reverb reissue and an Evil Robot c30.

kurt_cobain9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:53 PM   #904
Viban
UG's resident bum

I've got a strat with an SSS route, but I like to play metal. What are some good stacked Humbuckers or High output single coils that don't cost too much?
Viban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:36 PM   #905
xxMr.Davexx
Semi okay guitar player

I'm rebuilding my first guitar, and I'm mostly focusing on the sound.

So far i've decided that I want a more powerful (thicker) distorted tone, one that will cut through the mix and won't sound muddy. I would like a great clean tone as well
though.

I was thinking of putting a Dimarzio PAF Pro In the the Bridge, (I've read they have beautiful cleans and good distorted tone) And a Dimarzio Liquifire in the bridge (Mostly for the distortion, and mids.)

Thoughts?

*My guitar is made from mahogony
Old 05-28-2013, 08:35 AM   #906
GeriatricNinja

@xxMr.Davexx Your guitar have 2 bridge pickups?
Haha assuming you meant the Liquifire in the neck I'd recommend it. Awesome pickup, great for lead playing and good clean sound too. Lots of mids - it'll definitely thicken up the sound of the guitar.
Don't know the PAF Pro as well as some of the other Dimarzios, but judging by the specs it should be a good choice in the bridge. Otherwise the Crunch Lab would be a very good alternative, slightly less treble than the PAF but very versatile. Sounds good both distorted and clean, not muddy at all. And it's the John Petrucci set (Liquifire in the neck, Crunch Lab in the bridge).
GeriatricNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:45 PM   #907
xxMr.Davexx
Semi okay guitar player

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeriatricNinja
@xxMr.Davexx Your guitar have 2 bridge pickups?
Haha assuming you meant the Liquifire in the neck I'd recommend it. Awesome pickup, great for lead playing and good clean sound too. Lots of mids - it'll definitely thicken up the sound of the guitar.
Don't know the PAF Pro as well as some of the other Dimarzios, but judging by the specs it should be a good choice in the bridge. Otherwise the Crunch Lab would be a very good alternative, slightly less treble than the PAF but very versatile. Sounds good both distorted and clean, not muddy at all. And it's the John Petrucci set (Liquifire in the neck, Crunch Lab in the bridge).

Lol ya I meant the Liquifire in the neck And I'll definantly check out the Crunch Lab. Thanks for the advice mate
Old 06-04-2013, 07:35 AM   #908
Steinway

Question

First: compliments to this thread. Very, very enlightning.

One question reamains though: what does the metal pickup cover - like the one on a Gibson 57 Classic - do to the signal/sound coming from the pickup? Does it affect tone or reduce noise?

Thanks.
Steinway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:38 PM   #909
LRCGUITAR
Lancashire, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steinway
First: compliments to this thread. Very, very enlightning.

One question reamains though: what does the metal pickup cover - like the one on a Gibson 57 Classic - do to the signal/sound coming from the pickup? Does it affect tone or reduce noise?

Thanks.

As far as I know it's purely cosmetic. Some people say it dulls the tone slightly but I suppose you can counteract that by moving the pickup closer to the strings.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:58 PM   #910
JoeFlips
✯✯✯

1-Type (brand and model) of guitar you're upgrading

Eastwood Airline 3p DLX

2-Current pickups the guitar has

Eastwood airline humbuckers (stock)

3- Current amplifier

Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18

4-Desired tone (be specific)

Ok so I've narrowed my style down since buying this guitar, and since I still love the way it plays, I'd like to change the pickups to fit my style more. The style(s) in question would be indie/alternative rock, blues/psychadelic/garage rock, hard rock and punk. I'm talking Band of Skulls, the kills, tame impala, the doors, dead kennedys, white stripes, Stone temple pilots, Foo fighters, and audioslave.

I am looking mainly for the twangy, garage-y, hollow-ish sound that The Kills and Dead Kennedys get. I am almost certain that it is a single-coil sound, and I would be looking for Humbucker sized single coils or HB-sized jazzmaster pups. If there is something else I should be looking for, then by all means say so. I also would like to use some heavy-ish effects (i.e. the kills, tame impala, audioslave).

5-Budget

Try to keep it under $200 please

Thanks!
Victoria MIJ 60's Electric Guitar
Martin DCX1E
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18
Bunch of Pedals
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar
JoeFlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:50 PM   #911
nightwalker903

Awesome thread, I've stickier it for future reference.
Been checking out a few pickups and have a couple in mind.
Want to change them in both les Paul's but the custom first.

The and I play in is generally punk.
We play a lot of offspring style stuff however at home I do like playing some hard rock and a bit of metal. Some of my fave bands that arent punky are guns n roses avenged sevenfold,sixx am sort of bands.

What would be good pickups for the styles?
When I play clean it's usually neck pickup or both. Don't use bridge on its own much unless the part calls for it.

As you can see in my sig I use a jcm900 when playing with my band. It doesn't have much bottom end, very trebly which was a reason I wanted to get rid of it but my and persuaded me to keep it as it suits the punk style.

So a pickup that gives a bit of bottom end would be good.

I was thinking about both Alnico 2s. Jb bridge Alnico 2 neck.
Or maybe a super distortion in bridge?

Check my sig for current gear.

Really appreciate any advice as I'm a pickup noob

Gibson lpj
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Les Paul 1960's Tribute Plus
Marshall JCM900 100WATT HEAD
Fender mustang 1
Blackstar HT-1
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Distortion
Tanglewood exotic electro acoustic
Westfield Bass
nightwalker903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:44 PM   #912
If it's too loud SHUT UP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineguitarist
.... where is the P90's section?

Yeah! I am swimming through this thread (and skipping years of the same questions) and nobody has input on P-90's. The SX P-90's are great, but a little too hot. I got a $20 set of Wilkinsons off eBay and they are great in the neck and N+B position with matched volume, but the bridge is just too noisy with gain. I ordered a vintage wound 180 from GFS and from all the reviews it sounds like $33 well spent. I'm not dropping $100+ on a $130 guitar. SD Atiquity would probably be my choice, Dimarzio 210 and the other models seem like replacements for someone who isn't a P-90 person. Lollars would be the ultimate, but pricey. Fralins, again pricey and from what I've heard I'm not a fan. I know there are others, but none memorable.
1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:35 PM   #913
danvwman

Just putting this out there.

A while back I picked up a old Ibanez V1/V2/S2 set.

I got it because the V1/V2 looked like Dimarzios with the allen head screws, to my dismay the sound just like the hb102 set that was in the guitar, just a hotter alnico V sh2/sh4 set.

Anyway the S2 single coil was a surprise I put it in the neck position of my Epi superstrat paired with a Dimarzio super distortion in the bridge. Killer set up.

If you single coil guys see that S2 get it, its pretty sweet.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:15 AM   #914
danvwman

My favorite bridge pickups I have in order.

1.Dimarzio Super Distortion Low end, mids and highs with hotness that is just unreal. It growls too.

2.BKP Ceramic Blackhawk. Killer pup , percussive as all get up, only 9 ohms but still has all the sizzle of the super distortion

3.BKP holy diver(have the set) a lot like the super distortion but more articulate, cleans up better. Didn't have he "sizzle" I was looking for. Maybe since its alnico V and not ceramic.

4.Seymore Duncan Prails (set) Not an exceptional pickup(not terrible either) but gets this spot for the versatility of all the wiring/coil options. If you don't want to lug around 4 guitars all the time but need p-90/humbucker/singl coil sounds its pretty good. In humbucker mode its 18 ohms so it is really hot. This guitar sits in my trunk a lot.

5.Rockfield swc vintage stlye(set). Killer 70s/80s rock tone, no hairband sizzle. Zep,ac/dc,black Sabbath/Dio/Skynard. the pickup that started my interest in replacing all my pickups.

6. Dragonfire Screamer (set) For $20 its really good ....better than a SH6 hands down. Really hot tons of output at 5 , at 7 will push preamp tubes hard max it out at 10 and its nuts. Really bassy almost too much, on the verge of mud but if you eq it , its fine. Feeds back easy....in a good way.

7.EMG 85/81 set. Good for Slayer and really hard music. Really only sounds good with both pickups on and blended. But ya, Slayer tone, cleans are ok. really don't like them too much. Headroom issues, they peak out, at a certain point picking harder wont make a difference in output to the amp , this is why I like passives better.

8. BC rich bsdm passive thing that looks like an active....metal tones only,cleans so,so

9.Seymore Duncan sh6/Distortion Its a good thing I only paid $40 for it, its not any better than the Duncan designed HB102 it replaced. So far the biggest disappointment in a replacement pickup so far. Not really hot for the ohms it has, too percussive. ok clean.

amps/pre amps used
1.AVT 150h
2.Marshall 9001 into marshall 8008
3.Digitech rp7 into Marshall 8008, favorite set up right now.
4.65 fender bandmaster
Old 08-12-2013, 05:55 PM   #915

Quote:
Originally Posted by danvwman
Just putting this out there.

A while back I picked up a old Ibanez V1/V2/S2 set.

I got it because the V1/V2 looked like Dimarzios with the allen head screws, to my dismay the sound just like the hb102 set that was in the guitar, just a hotter alnico V sh2/sh4 set.

Anyway the S2 single coil was a surprise I put it in the neck position of my Epi superstrat paired with a Dimarzio super distortion in the bridge. Killer set up.

If you single coil guys see that S2 get it, its pretty sweet.

I have an original S2 in my old RG470L - still there with the Bill Lawrence 500XL and 500R (custom wound and matched by Becky herself) and it has the same resistance as a "noiseless" pickup I tried swapping in there. NOPE, the S2 sounded way better even with all the noise. The custom wired 2 and 4 positions are noisy with gain, but the tones - oh the tones! The cleans are amazing!

I'll add that the Air Zone is the perfect all-around pickup if you haven't found "the ONE" in Dimarzio's line. I took one out of the RG and is now in my parts-o-caster bridge backing up a hot P-90. It sounds better in the neck, but compliments the P-90 very well. Even does metal (like everything else).
Old 08-16-2013, 03:27 PM   #916
enquencle

Hey guys! I'm still new to pretty much about changing pickups, and I hope you guys can help me.
I have a Jackson JS32RT Dinky. Most people I've talked have told me it's not worth the upgrade, that I should better sell it and get a better guitar.
This are the specs:
Neck: Bolt-on maple
Fingerboard: Rosewood
Body: Cedro
Pick ups: Jackson CVR2 high output pickups.

I'm playing it trough a Peavey Vypyr 30, and will be stuck with this amp for about another year.

This was my first guitar, and the only one I have for now. The pickups are fine for a begginer on a budget, but they seem lifeless and a little muddy to me now.

I play mostly some metal (Metallica, Megadeth, Trivium, to name a few) and Hard Rock.
I'm looking for a versatile tone, since it's the only guitar I have for now, but mainly focused to these styles.

I've been looking at the Sh4 and Jazz classic Duncan combo, also at DiMarzio's Tone Zone, but have no idea what to pair it with.
Any other suggestions would be good.

Budget: $500max, but feel free to suggest anything.

I'm also saving to get a PRS custom SE. Is the pickup swap in this Jackson worth it? Or should i sell it and use the money to get the PRS? Thanks in advance guys!
enquencle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:11 PM   #917

enquencle:
Duncan JB & Jazz if you want the Megadeth sound, keep the ones you got for Metallica. It's up to you, really. The PRS SE will be a better guitar, but you'll probably want to change the pickups in that too. What's wrong with the Peavey? Should be ok when you get to playing better and get your new guitar. Maybe pair the Tone Zone with a Fred?The Air Zone neck is probably the best Dimarzio I've heard (under my fingers anyway).

Update on the GFS Vintage 180 Soapbar: This is gonna take some getting used to. It's not a great match for the Wilkinson, but it does its job and is QUIET. The N+B position with distortion is a little buzzy, but a rollback on the neck volume can fix that - like I said, not a great match, but still pretty good. 8.8k for the 180, the Wilkinson bridge was 9.2K, and 7.8k for the Wilkinson neck. I had to raise the 180 and lower the neck a bit to balance the outputs.

I can go from a nice smooth glassy jangle to screaming distortion and harmonics without unwanted noise. I can session jazz, nail Brown-Eyed Girl and Jimmy Page, then switch to Sublime and early Van Halen with the same guitar. I'm still thinking about a coil tap - I did like the sound on somebody's youtube video, but that was a hot-wind 13k or something like that. I also replaced the pickup switch to a black Switchcraft style and put a black metal jackplate in so the plastic one wouldn't break, but I guess that's not important in this thread, unless you like all-black hardware. GFS is low-priced, but not generic!

Last edited by 1152 : 08-17-2013 at 10:27 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:42 PM   #918
enquencle

There's nothing wrong with the Peavey, but I really want to move on to a tube amp, thinking about a Blackstar HT-5.

I really want to change the pickups, since I find the CVR2 lifeless and muddy. I'm open to other ideas, and things outside the box/classic stuff.
Thanks for the advice.

I'm buying the PRS because I love their design and tones, and I want that one to be my versatile guitar, and if I keep the Jackson, have it as my Metal/Heavier stuff one.

If anyone else has other ideas or suggestions, it's very apreciated!
enquencle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:31 PM   #919
Zero96

OK after posting this in the wrong forum first, I will now post it here:

XN2/Liquifire combo?

So I was looking at pickups and I was wondering if a XN2 Liquifire combo would work, I was hoping to get my headbanging metal tone with my XN2s but still get note clarity. And I was hoping the liquifire would give me crisp lead tone with good clean sound. Does this sound possible to you guys. The XN2s have such good distrorted sound but I was wondering if I could get decent clean out of my guitar if I put the liquifires in the neck. Let me know if you guys like the idea or think it will sound stinky. I haven't seen it so I am a bit concerned. XD

It would be running through a vox valvetronix or a Fender Mustang.
Zero96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:59 AM   #920
630homer

I am wondering what pups I should put in my Epiphone Firebird. I play various typs of rock and blues and what thinking a P90 in the neck and Humbucker in the bridge. Any suggestions?

Thanks
630homer is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: