Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Tabs & Chords
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-22-2010, 02:49 PM   #1
actaderock
UG's Paisa

Rock N Roll/Blues sort of thing GP5/MIDI

The C4C lives

There will be a solo from bars 61-68
Attached Files
File Type: gp5 blues que no se que nombre ponerle.gp5 (29.6 KB, 102 views)
File Type: mid blues que no se que nombre ponerle.mid (22.2 KB, 39 views)

hooray for UG BLACK!!!! you are using it just like me

Check out my site!
actaderock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:30 PM   #2
icronic

The lead lick and the basic rhythm sound kind of like Are You Gonna be my Girl. Except you shouldn't be bending the G note.

I like the idea, but to be completely honest, your chord progression is broken. You're playing an A blues kind of thing, so your primary chords will be A7, D7 and E7. You can also use G7 and C7.

The B chord you've got in the 5th bar while technically in key doesn't really sound very good in the way you've used it. It's one of those chords that you'd want to use very quickly as a passing thing instead of a place to stop.

You've also got a C#7 in bar 9, which is just not a good place to go at all. The chord would actually be a Diminished chord (although you might be able to get away with a C#m instead). It's not the kind of thing you'd want to use in the middle of a progression really. Because you hold onto this chord for a full 2 bars, it completely throws off the D7 chord and makes it sound off as well.

There are two things you can do to fix this. The first is to completely re-write your chord progression in a more standard way. HOWEVER you can also keep your current progression if you drastically reduce the time that the C#7 chord is being played for. Instead of trying to explain, I'll just write an example. (By the way, I'm using the same chords as you, I've just tabbed them in a way that's far easier to actually play)

The next thing we need to talk about is the bass. The bass MUST (must must must!) reflect the chord that the guitar is playing. Now the bass line kind of fits your A chord, but since it actually stars on an E note it gives it a strange kind of vibe. Your best bet is to start on the root note of the chord, and use the Root, 5th and 7th of each chord to make your bass line. Again, check the example, I've done two different things with the bass. The second idea sticks more to what you originally did.

I liked the idea you had at bar 69, you just need to modify the bass part for your E chords so it fits better.

Anyway, you've got a good rhythm going, you just need to pay a little more attention to how you use chords and what bass lines you use behind them.

C4C? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1291856
icronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 05:10 PM   #3
Ailes

I concur with the "Are you gonna be my girl"-comparisons. Bad move. Not because it's enough to get any lawyers on your back (after all you can't patent just a lick or a rhythm), but because if you ever want to play that song live the audience will recognize this just like we do, and they might not take so kindly to it, so it's better to not even invite such associations.

Anyways. I, for one, really like the C#7 chord in the progression. It sounds good and is actually an often used passing chord ('Sitting on the dock of the bay', anyone?). It leads nicely into the D-chord. Btw, I'd make the A and D chords normal major chords instead of sevenths. Too much tension (the C#7 creates enough tension that resolves nicely into a normal Dmaj, and I'd prefer the root chord A to be tensionless as well).

What's definetly true, however, is that your Bassline in the 'verse' needs to reflect the chords better, not just repeat itself (an A min 7 arp, at that also). Either thump along the rootnotes or do the walkingbass thing you often hear in old blues/rock tunes. You seem to know how that goes, so I can't really understand how you could've missed the chordprogression.
Ailes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:06 PM   #4
icronic

He wasn't using the C#7 as a passing chord though But in either case, Ailes is right.

Listening again, I think a lot of the problem for me was with how the chords were voiced (and the bass throwing the chords off) Changing the A and D to major chords (use barre chords, not open chords though) and then keeping that C#7 sounds pretty good and would require a lot less of an overhaul than my original suggestions.
icronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:48 PM   #5
actaderock
UG's Paisa

ive never heard are you gonna be my girl

hooray for UG BLACK!!!! you are using it just like me

Check out my site!
actaderock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:06 PM   #6
Ailes

lol ok, sure. But you don't have to explain that here - it's not about whether you have or haven't heard "Are you gonna be my girl", your live audience has and will notice the similarities, intended or not, if you ever play this song on stage. And they are the ones you gonna have to explain that to then, so I'd advise you head over to youtube asap, listen to that song by JET, and see if the comparison is worth explaining or if you better rework your song into something more distinct.

Again, I don't mean it's really ripoff material, it's just that it really does invite the comparisons, and you should decide if you want to invite them or not (because I can imagine stricter people than me will give you more crap about it)
Ailes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:45 PM   #7
uptheirons95
Total War Addict

I like the rhythm, and the rhythm guitar is mostly good, except for that first chord change to B. The main riff, which is pretty sweet, doesn't really harmonize, in my opinion with that chord. The rhythmic pattern is pretty good throughout the song, but the drums are pretty basic; through in a few fills or rapid snare hits, for lack of a better term, in between sections of the song to buildup for the change. but definitely a solid start.

C4C? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1292309
uptheirons95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: