Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old Yesterday, 01:39 AM   #1
teragarnett

Electronic Cigarettes and Singing

I've never been a smoker but recently I tried my friend's electronic cigarette and it made my voice sound so much smoother than usual. It gives me that lower soothing kind of sound that I like. Im a woman so it's somewhat difficult to sound good in a lower tone but when I inhale this stuff, it sounds perfectly pitched. Songs that were harder to sing before are now a lot easier.

I read the ingredients on the bottle of the vapor that goes inside the electronic cigarette and there is %10 nicotine in it. It's organic vapor and doesnt have any of that toxic shit mixed in that regular cig's do, supposedly. So my question is: Have any of you experienced this? Do you know if pure nicotine is good for your voice as far as sounding good goes? I only do it before and during the times that im singing.

Maybe im actually hurting my vocal chords and just don't realize it. I dont know. All I know is that it makes me sound better. Do you think that it's coating my vocal chords or something? I usually drink warm water mixed with honey and that works GREAT. But now that i've added the e-cig, I have a more...soothing sound.

Last edited by teragarnett : Yesterday at 01:56 AM.
teragarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:45 AM   #2
Joshua Garcia
Hu$tler

Quote:
Originally Posted by teragarnett
Im a woman
Ey bay BAAAAAYYYYYY!!!

Wanna hook me up wit dem digits???
Joshua Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:48 AM   #3
teragarnett

Wow....lol.
Old Yesterday, 01:56 AM   #4
SGstriker
ANuStart

Goddamn Josh.

It's probably not good for you, but I'm not familiar enough to know.
I know breathing in any kind of smoke bothers my vocals. And drinking room temp water does wonders for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.
SGstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:07 AM   #5
teragarnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGstriker
Goddamn Josh.

It's probably not good for you, but I'm not familiar enough to know.
I know breathing in any kind of smoke bothers my vocals. And drinking room temp water does wonders for them.

Thanks! Yeah a lot of people say that it cant be good so it's weird that it helps me. I used to just drink plain warm water too but when I added a little honey, it felt easier to hit certain notes.
Old Yesterday, 02:10 AM   #6
SGstriker
ANuStart

I've heard honey helps. I've never tried it personally. The whole water thing usually helps. I've been interested in trying some of those homeopathic type things

Quote:
Originally Posted by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.
SGstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:58 AM   #7
Amuro Jay
Londo Bell Pilot

I use e-cigarettes quite a bit and I will tell you what I know.

The nicotine isn't what's affecting your voice. E-cigarette liquids are mainly based on two ingredients, propylene glycol and glycerin. How much of each a specific juice contains depends on the manufacturer, but it's almost guaranteed that both will be present in some quantity.

Propylene glycol is a common ingredient in asthma inhalers due to its ability to open up your airways. This is probably what's affecting your voice. Organic juices like the one you friend has tend to have much less propylene glycol than the average juice, but it's most likely still present in a small amount, hence your voice being altered after using it.

It's not doing anything permanent as far as anyone is aware. It's definitely not hurting your vocal cords. I often vape while I sing, too, and it's never made me sound worse.
Amuro Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:15 AM   #8
teragarnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuro Jay
I use e-cigarettes quite a bit and I will tell you what I know.

The nicotine isn't what's affecting your voice. E-cigarette liquids are mainly based on two ingredients, propylene glycol and glycerin. How much of each a specific juice contains depends on the manufacturer, but it's almost guaranteed that both will be present in some quantity.

Propylene glycol is a common ingredient in asthma inhalers due to its ability to open up your airways. This is probably what's affecting your voice. Organic juices like the one you friend has tend to have much less propylene glycol than the average juice, but it's most likely still present in a small amount, hence your voice being altered after using it.

It's not doing anything permanent as far as anyone is aware. It's definitely not hurting your vocal cords. I often vape while I sing, too, and it's never made me sound worse.

This makes perfect sense! Thanks so much. Didnt even think about researching the other ingredients.
Old Yesterday, 04:19 AM   #9
ultimate-slash
UltimateGuizar's eBFF

It would be possible that it helps you, I guess

Wouldn't try it myself though. I'm way too sensitive to anything other than clean air entering my lungs. If I have a gig and they have those smoke machines (ffs, stop using those as if they are necessary for literally every performance), my voice is completely messed up halfway through a set.
This exists.
ultimate-slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:28 AM   #10
Wormholes
i love your wall

They haven't been around long enough to be able to study the long term effects. And I'm sure tobacco companies don't want there to be any studies. They hid their ingredients for ciggs for so long I can't imagine ecigs being any different.
Wormholes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:34 AM   #11
snappedstrings6
what am i doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormholes
They haven't been around long enough to be able to study the long term effects. And I'm sure tobacco companies don't want there to be any studies. They hid their ingredients for ciggs for so long I can't imagine ecigs being any different.

Theoretically, theoretically ecigs should have no components that damage the body besides nicotine, either way they are infinitely fewer than those in cigarettes. They e cigs need to be studied, but I can hardly even imagine a scenario, apart from allergen issues, where they would be worse for people than real cigarettes.

However, there are some problems with utilizing impure glycerin which can either be gathered from vegetable fat or as a part of a gasoline purification process... Pretty obvious which one is more risky here, right?

That being said, yourself, as a non smoker, really should not increase your risk by using nicotine and untested products.

BUTTS.

To the pit because i don't feel like doing real life.
snappedstrings6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:59 PM   #12
Amuro Jay
Londo Bell Pilot

Quote:

People have been vaping for over a decade now and so far nobody has come forth saying "I got cancer from vaping" or with any other detriment to their quality of life.

The problem with your statement is that you're assuming the ecig industry is being driven by tobacco companies. Tobacco companies do produce e-cigarette products, but they're such garbage that anyone who seriously gets into e-cigarettes doesn't even acknowledge their existence.

The e-cigarette industry is mostly populated by independent manufacturers who make transparency their policy because they know hiding anything will screw them over.

You're right about one thing, though, that tobacco companies don't want e-cigarette research to be done. Or if they do, they only want damning evidence.

Case in point: the New England Journal of Medicine recently published "research" that claimed that ecig vapor contained formaldehyde. This paper became the war cry of every vapor opponent out there. However, nobody read the entire article.

If they read the fine print, they'd have known that under average vaping conditions, no significant amount of formaldehyde could even be detected. The researchers had to crank a CE4 up to 5 volts in order to get their results. And you know what? That's impossible to vape on. It burns you. At that point, you're not getting vapor, you're getting smoke from the torched silica wick. At those impossible to use conditions, you will get formaldehyde, but nobody's actually going to be vaping like that because, well, it's impossible to bear.

Never mind that these scientists were performing experiments on literally ancient technology, they hyped up a result that would never even occur under average/proper use. That's more sensationalism than it is science.

Tobacco companies actually used skewed results like these to push anti vaping legislation through the government. They have the money to do so. They're capitalizing on the fear of the unknown because they know that every person that switches to vaping is a lost customer for them.

Unless the tobacco companies can dominate the vaping industry, they'll spend as much money as it takes to make people believe that the fear of the unknown is more dangerous than their product, and that running away from some unfounded threat is more important than reducing tobacco related deaths.
Amuro Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:21 PM   #13
Acϵ♠
UG Board King

There's some kind of corticosteroid in vapour pens isn't there? That would be responsible for opening up your bronchial passages and relaxing your trachea and vocal chords. As a side effect, your vocal chords become more lubricated, and combined with the better airflow you get much better resonance.

It isn't bad for you by any stretch, but if you don't want to vape, a shot of olive oil or a teaspoon of honey or even both before extended singing will help out a lot.

edit: didnt read the thread. said basically same thing is that ugly Jay guy.
Bitches be Crazy.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Acϵ♠ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:33 PM   #14
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd

I know something else you can inhale that'll make you sing better, dollface.

HEHH HEHHH HEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acϵ♠
edit: didnt read the thread. said basically same thing is that ugly Jay guy.

stfu jay is bootiful.

Morphogenesis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:58 PM   #15
Sewn Up

Quote:

Not accurate. E-cigs have been around since the 60s in some shape or form. They've just been really becoming popular and well-known in the last 10 years.

As for my opinion, I too tend to do a lot of singing, and my e-cig has never had any negative effects on my voice during performances. Even when screaming, vaping and a couple glasses of water have done nothing to hinder my abilities. I've sounded better myself. So I say if you think it's helping you out, then keep going by all means.

Rate This Thread: