Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 04-06-2010, 02:07 AM   #21
King Turi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Well, I'm not going to ramble out random notes like some of the people quite obviously have.

But eh.. well, I guess I'll just say like, the notes in songs my band covers, that I do comfortably.

I can hit the low "numb" note in Brick by Ben Folds Five, a semi-tone lower than the original (since it's in D, and we play tuned a semi-tone down), I don't think there's many songs where I've had to go lower than that.
It comes out clearly and easy to understand.. not sure what note that actually is though.

As for highest, well, I'm not sure, but I can hit every note in "Hands Down" by Dashboard Confessional a semi-tone higher than the original (we've been playing in standard recently, original song is tuned down a semi-tone).. they aren't falsetto notes, they are all head-voice stuff, they come out clear and easy for me to sing, I can actually go higher than that, in head voice, but I'm failing to remember any songs where I've had to do it.

Random squeal noises don't count, and for falsetto, well I can easily hit the high falsetto note in "Unchained Melody" by The Righteous Brothers, in the original key, and it's incredibly easy, I could go a fair bit higher than that (we don't have any other songs we cover that go higher than that in falsetto though)..

So yeah, no idea how I'm supposed to figure out exactly what the notes are that I can reach but yeah.
King Turi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:32 AM   #22
screamin-poet
Registered User
 
screamin-poet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Dublin Ireland
just checked with my guitar.

bearing in mind that i've been awake all night and its now 7:30am i think my actual range is quite a bit more after proper warmups etc.

Lowest: low e string dropped to a c
Highest: 7th fret on high e string
screamin-poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 02:13 AM   #23
musicTHEORYnerd
doesnt sleep
 
musicTHEORYnerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
this thread has got me really interested.

does anyone know of male singers who hit B4-C5 range and higher consistently?
the only one i can think of now is james labrie from dream theater and the dude from symphony X.
(symphony X singer is probably the best male singer ive heard in my life)
__________________
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
musicTHEORYnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 03:19 AM   #24
Chaingarden
RE: Su...de "Ret-Siger!"
 
Chaingarden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicTHEORYnerd
this thread has got me really interested.

does anyone know of male singers who hit B4-C5 range and higher consistently?
the only one i can think of now is james labrie from dream theater and the dude from symphony X.
(symphony X singer is probably the best male singer ive heard in my life)


Chris Cornell, Myles Kennedy, Robert Plant, Ian Gillian, Jeff Buckley, David Lee Roth, David Coverdale.
Chaingarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:47 AM   #25
canvasDude
Registered User
 
canvasDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
As of this very moment, my range is E2? (open low E string) to A6?(17th fret high e string). On a good day I can hit an open D in drop D (and that's about my absolute lowest, which may be vocal fry in all fairness) and the 18th fret high e. And no, I'm not including falsetto or whistle register in my range. For some reason I haven't been able to use any falsetto lately, although my head voice can go really high.
__________________
Masu Murasaki

我是音乐家
canvasDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:32 PM   #26
vict
Outvile
 
vict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ukraine, Kiev
Quote:
Originally Posted by canvasDude
As of this very moment, my range is E2? (open low E string) to A6?(17th fret high e string). On a good day I can hit an open D in drop D (and that's about my absolute lowest, which may be vocal fry in all fairness) and the 18th fret high e. And no, I'm not including falsetto or whistle register in my range. For some reason I haven't been able to use any falsetto lately, although my head voice can go really high.

You're mistaken
I bet your range is something like E2-A4. everything else is falsetto (which you mix up with head voice)

4 octaves? this is omg

PS. your avatar made me lol... its super cool

UPD: if you think i'm wrong, the recording of your range would be cool to hear
__________________
My one and only band!


Last edited by vict : 04-10-2010 at 07:37 PM.
vict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 12:58 AM   #27
radioheadfreak
UG's Homophobic
 
radioheadfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: BC, Canada
This is ridiculous. 98% can "sing" lower than any Bass 2 and higher than any Tenor 1 in my semi-professional (100 person) choir. You are all full of shit. I saw maybe a few people who actually posted realistic answers.

I am in my second year minoring in voice in University and I was told by my voice teacher, who's been teaching for 25 years, that I have a good range. It is Eb2 to about F4 consistently (give or take either way on good days) not counting falsetto.

So stop lying about how great you are or how many notes you can squeak out. No one actually cares about that; the only notes that matter are the ones that actually sound good.
__________________
And I can play guitar like a mother****in riot.
radioheadfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:25 AM   #28
Chaingarden
RE: Su...de "Ret-Siger!"
 
Chaingarden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by radioheadfreak
This is ridiculous. 98% can "sing" lower than any Bass 2 and higher than any Tenor 1 in my semi-professional (100 person) choir. You are all full of shit. I saw maybe a few people who actually posted realistic answers.

I am in my second year minoring in voice in University and I was told by my voice teacher, who's been teaching for 25 years, that I have a good range. It is Eb2 to about F4 consistently (give or take either way on good days) not counting falsetto.

So stop lying about how great you are or how many notes you can squeak out. No one actually cares about that; the only notes that matter are the ones that actually sound good.


*sigh* Most of us are rock singers. Most of us include a supported head voice in our range. Classical styles differ in how range is defined, and what is acceptable tonality.

If there's one thing I've learned about music majors at universities, especially those that concentrate on voice, it's that they generally reject blending of registers and adducting the voice. What a shame; it's so limiting.

I can't speak for everyone, but I didn't lie about what I said. I have recordings to prove it.
Chaingarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 01:29 PM   #29
radioheadfreak
UG's Homophobic
 
radioheadfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: BC, Canada
Quote:
If you talking about a tonally consistent, usable range that could still pass as full voice, I'd say D2-C6


I believe that you may be able to hit this D, but the fact that you claim to be able to hit that C with good tone is absolutely ridiculous. Do you realize that that C is 2 octaves above middle? Great operatic tenors are able (somewhat expected) to hit just one octave above. Now what does that make you? Either incredibly/improbably talented, or full of shit...


BTW where are these recordings of yours that feature your 4 octave range?

Quote:
Classical styles differ in how range is defined, and what is acceptable tonality.


Read the sticky on how to define range before you start making assumptions.
__________________
And I can play guitar like a mother****in riot.

Last edited by radioheadfreak : 04-14-2010 at 01:31 PM.
radioheadfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 02:17 PM   #30
ankthebank
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
D2 to Fsharp 4 !

Although on good days i can go to that G :S... i want to go to C!!!
ankthebank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 02:24 PM   #31
severed-metal
Kvlt of Fvkk
 
severed-metal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
How exactly does one go about measuring their vocal range?


I imagine mine would be fairly restricted anyways, but just curious.
__________________
You've taken all my precious gifts
I gave unto you life from by breath
But you a product of my love
Your gratitude shown in my death

She's dead...wrapped in plastic
severed-metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 04:54 PM   #32
Cheeseman07
UG Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by radioheadfreak
I believe that you may be able to hit this D, but the fact that you claim to be able to hit that C with good tone is absolutely ridiculous. Do you realize that that C is 2 octaves above middle? Great operatic tenors are able (somewhat expected) to hit just one octave above. Now what does that make you? Either incredibly/improbably talented, or full of shit...


BTW where are these recordings of yours that feature your 4 octave range?



Read the sticky on how to define range before you start making assumptions.


it's in his sig, but what's gonna happen here is that you're gonna listen to those samples and call what he's doing "falsetto" even though it's connected and blended smoothly with his lower range. then we trade blows and bash each others technique, and the circle of life continues.
Cheeseman07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:52 PM   #33
Chaingarden
RE: Su...de "Ret-Siger!"
 
Chaingarden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by radioheadfreak
I believe that you may be able to hit this D, but the fact that you claim to be able to hit that C with good tone is absolutely ridiculous. Do you realize that that C is 2 octaves above middle? Great operatic tenors are able (somewhat expected) to hit just one octave above. Now what does that make you? Either incredibly/improbably talented, or full of shit...


BTW where are these recordings of yours that feature your 4 octave range?



Read the sticky on how to define range before you start making assumptions.


Firstly, do not patronize me or the others in this thread. You have been nothing but acerbic thus far. In addition, you have provided no recordings to establish any semblance of authority you may have with regards to vocal pedagogy.

In my signature, there is a song entitled "Live Like a Martyr," as well as a "Billie Jean" cover, which both feature F#s above high C. That is 6 semitones below the C we're talking about, but if you're really that interesting in hearing, I can record a soprano C for you.

The sticky about defining range was written by another person who has an opinion. It is in no way an infallible and conclusive consensus amongst the vocal community. While I respect axemanchris's opinion (I'm assuming that's who wrote the sticky, I could be wrong) there is a large portion of the vocal community that does disagree with him on range definition, myself included. You and Chris come from an operatic school of teaching. It is an entirely different approach and tonality than a VAST majority of popular and rock singing.
Chaingarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:12 PM   #34
Mattofla
Registered User
 
Mattofla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankthebank
i want to go to C!!!


I as well. :/

At the moment, my range is from C2-D4. I would be happy with this, but I have Russell Allen and James LaBrie as vocal idols.
Mattofla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:18 PM   #35
Kivarenn82
Metal Un-Litist
 
Kivarenn82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Victoria Bc Canada
I don't know what note properly gauges "BBLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGHHH"
__________________
Some grammar and proper spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.

*This has been a public service announcement*
Kivarenn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:03 PM   #36
Mattofla
Registered User
 
Mattofla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
To find my range, I downloaded the sing&see demo. I think you need a mic, though.
Mattofla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:39 AM   #37
radioheadfreak
UG's Homophobic
 
radioheadfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: BC, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaingarden
Firstly, do not patronize me or the others in this thread. You have been nothing but acerbic thus far. In addition, you have provided no recordings to establish any semblance of authority you may have with regards to vocal pedagogy.

In my signature, there is a song entitled "Live Like a Martyr," as well as a "Billie Jean" cover, which both feature F#s above high C. That is 6 semitones below the C we're talking about, but if you're really that interesting in hearing, I can record a soprano C for you.

The sticky about defining range was written by another person who has an opinion. It is in no way an infallible and conclusive consensus amongst the vocal community. While I respect axemanchris's opinion (I'm assuming that's who wrote the sticky, I could be wrong) there is a large portion of the vocal community that does disagree with him on range definition, myself included. You and Chris come from an operatic school of teaching. It is an entirely different approach and tonality than a VAST majority of popular and rock singing.


First of all, as a musician, I am tired of coming to places like this to see people just bragging about themselves. That is why I my tone is as negative as it is. You're right, I am probably better off not voicing my opinion.

But now that we're here I might as well.

So, I don't really feel the need to "provide recordings to establish any semblance of authority I may have with regards to vocal pedagogy," because I have really not made any outrageous claims. My range is small (compared to the claims on here), and I said I was a voice minor, not even a major. I am actually a guitar major, but that is beside the point.

So, I listened to your recordings. I'm not going to start insulting you or analyzing your voice, because I would analyze from a classical standpoint and we'll always butt heads there, so agree to disagree on tone and such. Intonation, well you can't make excuses for. Either you're in tune or not; style plays no part here. For the most part you were pretty good, but your high notes just got completely lost in a lot of spots. You might call that style, I call it lack of vocal control. I've heard amazing rock singers who will do what you call style, but their intonation is really good throughout.

As for range... well, you did "hit" that F#, but in my humble opinion, it really just sounded terrible. But hey, I'm just a classically trained vocalist, I don't know what "good" rock music sounds like.
__________________
And I can play guitar like a mother****in riot.
radioheadfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 05:35 AM   #38
Cheeseman07
UG Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
classical musicians have a tendency to be butthurt 24/7
Cheeseman07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 12:36 PM   #39
Chaingarden
RE: Su...de "Ret-Siger!"
 
Chaingarden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by radioheadfreak
First of all, as a musician, I am tired of coming to places like this to see people just bragging about themselves. That is why I my tone is as negative as it is. You're right, I am probably better off not voicing my opinion.

But now that we're here I might as well.

So, I don't really feel the need to "provide recordings to establish any semblance of authority I may have with regards to vocal pedagogy," because I have really not made any outrageous claims. My range is small (compared to the claims on here), and I said I was a voice minor, not even a major. I am actually a guitar major, but that is beside the point.

So, I listened to your recordings. I'm not going to start insulting you or analyzing your voice, because I would analyze from a classical standpoint and we'll always butt heads there, so agree to disagree on tone and such. Intonation, well you can't make excuses for. Either you're in tune or not; style plays no part here. For the most part you were pretty good, but your high notes just got completely lost in a lot of spots. You might call that style, I call it lack of vocal control. I've heard amazing rock singers who will do what you call style, but their intonation is really good throughout.

As for range... well, you did "hit" that F#, but in my humble opinion, it really just sounded terrible. But hey, I'm just a classically trained vocalist, I don't know what "good" rock music sounds like.


You know what, that's totally fair. I would disagree in that I think the intonation, at least in Live like A Martyr was fairly spot on (unless you can distinguish the exact Hz of each note. If you're a perfect pitch type, I guess I couldn't argue with you.) There are many off-notes in Billie Jean, and it's a fairly nasty sounding F#, but the whole song is only half serious. I think the Live Like A Martyr F# is fairly tonally rich for being an F#. But those are mostly differences in opinion.

I can't tell you you're wrong, just that I disagree with you. By classical standards, using only chest voice, I can probably only get to about a G or A below high C.

I do think though, that if you do want to talk about tone and intonation, you better provide some recordings to show that you indeed are familiar with how to produce good tone, and how to sing exceptionally in tune. Otherwise, it just comes off as idle critique.
Chaingarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:55 PM   #40
canvasDude
Registered User
 
canvasDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by vict
You're mistaken
I bet your range is something like E2-A4. everything else is falsetto (which you mix up with head voice)

4 octaves? this is omg

PS. your avatar made me lol... its super cool

UPD: if you think i'm wrong, the recording of your range would be cool to hear



Actually, (after ditching the guitar for a piano as reference) my lowest usable note is G2. My highest possible note (using only head voice) is still the A6, but that note is rather forced (though not all together bad sounding). That would make my range just over 4 octaves (including chest and head voice only). I don't see the problem with this, considering a three octave range is fairly standard from what I've observed in my secondary school choir.

P.S. Thanks about the avatar, lol.

EDIT: I don't have a means of recording myself atm, so I can't supply any evidence of my claims. However, all my friends at school (who are in select choir) make fun of my for how high my voice can go relative to my speaking voice; if that counts for anything.

EDIT2: I meant F2, not G2. Sorry.
__________________
Masu Murasaki

我是音乐家

Last edited by canvasDude : 04-15-2010 at 09:21 PM.
canvasDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:33 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.