Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-15-2010, 08:05 PM   #41
PabloGilberto
UG's Megadeth fanatic

I couldn't tell you in terms of notes and octaves, but I can generally sing the same notes as Myles Kennedy (with a lot less sustain and prowess on the highs) plus a silly high falsetto - think the highest distorted note in Bring On The Young by Strapping Young Lad, or the vocal air raid siren by Stu Block from Into Eternity. I need to distort my voice to sing really high though. Would anyone be able to distinguish my range if I posted a clip tomorrow?
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60DSP + 4x12
PabloGilberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:34 PM   #42
Mattofla

So I tried doing some new exercises last night, and they must have corrected some technique. My range rose from a D2(I can sometimes go to C, but not often)-D4, to a D2-A4. Woo.

If the notes turn out to be falsetto instead of head voice, Matt will be sad.
Mattofla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:00 PM   #43
radioheadfreak
UG's Homophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaingarden
You know what, that's totally fair. I would disagree in that I think the intonation, at least in Live like A Martyr was fairly spot on (unless you can distinguish the exact Hz of each note. If you're a perfect pitch type, I guess I couldn't argue with you.) There are many off-notes in Billie Jean, and it's a fairly nasty sounding F#, but the whole song is only half serious. I think the Live Like A Martyr F# is fairly tonally rich for being an F#. But those are mostly differences in opinion.

I can't tell you you're wrong, just that I disagree with you. By classical standards, using only chest voice, I can probably only get to about a G or A below high C.

I do think though, that if you do want to talk about tone and intonation, you better provide some recordings to show that you indeed are familiar with how to produce good tone, and how to sing exceptionally in tune. Otherwise, it just comes off as idle critique.

You're right about the idle critique. Anyone can come on here and insult someone, but it doesn't really mean much unless they can prove themselves at least somewhat fluent on the topic. I don't really have any recent recordings, so I can't share them with you. But if you care that much, I may have time to record a song or two and post it, but I won't have time till school's over. And at that point this will likely have settled down.

As far as intonation and discerning pitch goes, there is a test we do at school to test the frequency we can distinguish, and I was able to distinguish between 1.5hz 85% of the time. Which is good, compared to most, but nothing really great. I don't have perfect pitch.

After hearing your voice, I believe that you could hit a G or A. Though I would be more doubtful of the low D. You have a good tenor voice, and the argument we're having is just opinion on the definition of range, which is somewhat inconsequential.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:04 PM   #44
food1010
Bassist

Quote:
Originally Posted by canvasDude
Actually, (after ditching the guitar for a piano as reference) my lowest usable note is G2. My highest possible not (using only head voice) is still the A6, but that note is rather forced (though not all together bad sounding). That would make my range just over 4 octaves (including chest and head voice only). I don't see the problem with this, considering a three octave range is fairly standard from what I've observed in my secondary school choir.

P.S. Thanks about the avatar, lol.
Could you please record yourself going through your whole range (or at least starting an octave from the top and bottom to demonstrate the extremes) on a scale or using melodic triads or something?
Old 04-15-2010, 09:24 PM   #45
canvasDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by food1010
Could you please record yourself going through your whole range (or at least starting an octave from the top and bottom to demonstrate the extremes) on a scale or using melodic triads or something?

As I said in my edits, I don't have a means of recording myself at the moment (my little sister busted my only mic). But, when I do, I'll record myself through my whole range (including falsetto so that you can hear that my head voice is not falsetto).

我是音乐家
canvasDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:28 PM   #46
food1010
Bassist

Quote:
Originally Posted by canvasDude
As I said in my edits, I don't have a means of recording myself at the moment (my little sister busted my only mic). But, when I do, I'll record myself through my whole range (including falsetto so that you can hear that my head voice is not falsetto).
Oh, alright. Sorry, I missed where you said that. I haven't really been following this thread.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:34 PM   #47
canvasDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by food1010
Oh, alright. Sorry, I missed where you said that. I haven't really been following this thread.

Nah, that's ok. I guess I didn't realize that the range I'm claiming to have was that unusual. I have a friend who can hit (prepare for rough estimation) around a C2, he has a very deep voice, to about an F5. And my other friend (who I suspect hasn't hit puberty yet) can hit notes so high they're nearly inaudible (read "uses whistle register a lot"). Not that I have a bunch of mutant friends, it's just that I've encountered people that many on this thread would label liars.

我是音乐家
canvasDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:27 AM   #48
vict
Outvile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaingarden
You know what, that's totally fair. I would disagree in that I think the intonation, at least in Live like A Martyr was fairly spot on (unless you can distinguish the exact Hz of each note. If you're a perfect pitch type, I guess I couldn't argue with you.) There are many off-notes in Billie Jean, and it's a fairly nasty sounding F#, but the whole song is only half serious. I think the Live Like A Martyr F# is fairly tonally rich for being an F#. But those are mostly differences in opinion.

yeah I thought so.
This is falsetto (or call it head voice if you want (but this is not head voice I was taught))
One would not include such voice in vocal range
including such vocals everyone would be about 4 octaves...

P.s. I liked your vocal very much. But your "range" is wrong...

vict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:39 PM   #49
Lauren Bateman

I believe it's around G3-C#6. I can't consistently hit the C#6 all of the times, but I get it more and more as lessons progress. Been hitting the C6 fairly consistently.

I don't usually sing that high when I perform though.
Lauren Bateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:14 PM   #50
The Kush
Are you implying?

In full voice, my low range varies from an E2 to around a C2, depending on a bunch of stuff like whether I'm sick or not. For high range, right now I can comfortably sustain a G5. I haven't really tried measuring stuff like falsetto and vocal fry, I really only use my full voice.

Edit: Also, I think people need to specify in their posts whether they're talking about falsetto and other things like that, or just full voice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeseman07
The Kush rocks everyone's shit, you should all know that by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paramore.
That... that was a work of Genius!
The Kush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:07 PM   #51
radioheadfreak
UG's Homophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kush
In full voice, my low range varies from an E2 to around a C2, depending on a bunch of stuff like whether I'm sick or not. For high range, right now I can comfortably sustain a G5. I haven't really tried measuring stuff like falsetto and vocal fry, I really only use my full voice.

Edit: Also, I think people need to specify in their posts whether they're talking about falsetto and other things like that, or just full voice.

I would like to hear you hit either ends of that range in full voice. A G5 is what a lirico-leggero tenor is possibly able to hit. And this is incredibly high for full voice. Also, these tenors are only able to sing down to a C3 usually. Which means you can not only sing higher than some of the best tenors in the world, but you can sing an entire octave lower than them (and lower than many basses). Which makes you, sir, either very confused, or very talented.

If the latter is true you need to go audition somewhere.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:17 PM   #52
The Kush
Are you implying?

^I'll put up a recording right now. Naturally I'm a bass, but I've been learning how to utilize my head voice for James LaBrie or Tobias Sammet-esque metal vocals.

EDIT: Put it up in my profile. It's called "The Killing Hand G5", it's the first one.

Quote:

Quote:

Last edited by The Kush : 04-19-2010 at 10:24 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:35 AM   #53
Lauren Bateman

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioheadfreak
I would like to hear you hit either ends of that range in full voice. A G5 is what a lirico-leggero tenor is possibly able to hit. And this is incredibly high for full voice. Also, these tenors are only able to sing down to a C3 usually. Which means you can not only sing higher than some of the best tenors in the world, but you can sing an entire octave lower than them (and lower than many basses). Which makes you, sir, either very confused, or very talented.

If the latter is true you need to go audition somewhere.

Yea I would like to hear this as well. That's an amazing range for a male voice.
Lauren Bateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:03 AM   #54
Cheeseman07
UG Senior Member

Do you have any recordings of your lower range though? Even if you're a master of mixing your upper register into your lower range you don't sound like a bass to me.
Cheeseman07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 02:15 PM   #55
vict
Outvile

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kush
^I'll put up a recording right now. Naturally I'm a bass, but I've been learning how to utilize my head voice for James LaBrie or Tobias Sammet-esque metal vocals.

EDIT: Put it up in my profile. It's called "The Killing Hand G5", it's the first one.

again! this is head voice

UPD: ok, I had a listen to some of your songs.. well, you sing pretty high . But that G5 was definitely a head voice.

Last edited by vict : 04-20-2010 at 02:21 PM.
vict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:44 PM   #56
The Kush
Are you implying?

I'll try and get a recording of my lower range sometime soon... when I said C2, I meant really on the very best days, when I'm either sick or something else has happened to make my voice that low. That's the lowest I've ever hit, but it's DEFINITELY not my normal range.

Lol and thanks Cheeseman, I think I'm gonna have to sig that

Quote:

Quote:
Old 04-21-2010, 11:58 PM   #57
RanDMC

You would probably get more honest answers in a "post your penis size" thread
RanDMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:35 AM   #58
Helloween_rox
UG Fanatic

I've been told I have a good and very versatile voice. I can match the vocal stylings of Sully Erna from Godsmack, James Hetfield, Randy Blythe, and Chuck Billy, and I can also sing regularly though not quite at the level of say Michael Starr or Pavarotti. Hell, with some warming up, I can pull off Judas Priest's Painkiller and Ram It Down, but that takes a while of warming up for me to do. I just prefer not to sing as I'd rather play guitar (that and I can't do both at the same time).
Old 04-22-2010, 03:01 PM   #59
The Kush
Are you implying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanDMC
You would probably get more honest answers in a "post your penis size" thread

If you're talking about me, I posted proof on my profile.

Quote:

Quote:
Old 04-22-2010, 04:22 PM   #60
z4twenny
UG's resident Psychopath

Location: there ain't no doubt in my mind, i'm gonna stomp all over your test of time.
i've only got about a 2 octave range not including roughly 1 octave of falsetto.... don't ask me to pick out which notes they are, i think its the B 1 octave below middle c up 2 octaves and the falsetto picks up where that leaves off i think.
Cover of the NIN classic Head like a hole.
z4twenny is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: