Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-18-2015, 12:22 PM   #1
awokenjb3

How to upgrade my set up?

Currently I have a ibanez rgr320sp and a esp viper 50, for playing them I use a m audio UX1 through pod farm and I have a really old amp that doesn't do much. What's the best way for me to upgrade...pickups, amp, etc? I'm not sure what to look for and such but I play a lot of classic rock, hair metal and some drop tuned things
awokenjb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 12:26 PM   #2
Robbgnarly

well do you play in a band?
what do you think you need to gain sound wise?
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 12:26 PM   #3
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Amp first.

Always.

What is your budget and where do you live?
Old 04-18-2015, 12:29 PM   #4
awokenjb3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
well do you play in a band?
what do you think you need to gain sound wise?

Nah I play alone just jam along to my favorite songs, sound wise I'm not really sure I just figured an upgrade wouldn't hurt
Old 04-18-2015, 12:35 PM   #5
Robbgnarly

If your only playing at home and your happy with using POD farm, I'd say maybe look at a new guitar.

You could do a few mods to the EC-50, but don't go crazy because it is a cheap guitar. Maybe a new bridge pickup and some better tuners. I use www.guitarfetish.com and have had good luck with their pickups and hardware
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 12:51 PM   #6
awokenjb3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
If your only playing at home and your happy with using POD farm, I'd say maybe look at a new guitar.

You could do a few mods to the EC-50, but don't go crazy because it is a cheap guitar. Maybe a new bridge pickup and some better tuners. I use www.guitarfetish.com and have had good luck with their pickups and hardware

Yeah I was looking at a few new guitars but everyone said don't bother buying another entry level guitar (can't afford next up) so I was seeing the best way to upgrade haha
Old 04-18-2015, 12:58 PM   #7
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Like Rob said, if you are generally happy with Pod Farm and just wanna spend $100 or so, then better pickups might be an OK idea. Before that though, consider getting some of the Pod Farm expansion packs. Especially the metal one. I've been looking to do this as well as I have Pod Farm and a UX1. I only really use it for recording though.
Old 04-18-2015, 01:16 PM   #8
evmac
Baroness Lover

You're not going to really notice any substantial benefit from upgrading pickups through POD Farm. The problems that make you want to upgrade will still be there after the pickup swap. There are far better guitars out there than that Ibanez and LTD. They're pretty cheap guitars and you could get something quite a bit better depending on your budget.

POD farm is okay, but I'd rather have a POD HD for playing at home

Fender Tele
PRS SE Custom 24
Agile AL-3100

Jet City JCA50H
Randall 2x12 wV30s
evmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 01:48 PM   #9
awokenjb3

Thanks for the input guys, maybe I'll check out pod hd and those expansion packs
Old 04-18-2015, 01:56 PM   #10
GaryBillington
Last of a Dyin' Breed

For practicing at home, you already have a decent enough set up.

Save your money so you've got a better budget when you actually need something.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H

My SoundCloud
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 07:29 PM   #11
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by evmac
You're not going to really notice any substantial benefit from upgrading pickups through POD Farm.

Normally I would agree with you but taking out the crappy 'duncan designed' pups for some real pups was a very good investment for me - no matter what I play through. Generally better clarity.
Old 04-18-2015, 07:52 PM   #12
monwobobbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH
Normally I would agree with you but taking out the crappy 'duncan designed' pups for some real pups was a very good investment for me - no matter what I play through. Generally better clarity.

POD farm just won't really "see" the improved pups. even with a regular POD they just don't seem to care much about what pickups are in a guitar. i can interchange my strats when recording and the tone will be pretty much the same through my POD. through an amp big difference but not the POD. just saying.
monwobobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 08:07 PM   #13
evmac
Baroness Lover

Yeah, that's one thing I don't like about my POD HD. It's the fact I can play a Tele through it and then my Les Paul and the difference between the two is a lot less than it should be.

The clarity may improve a bit but it's not going to be satisfying enough to keep him happy for long.

For me the foundation of a good rig is a solid guitar. I wouldn't necessarily say the ones he has are in that category. He could sell em both and buy a nice AL-2000 (depending on where he lives) or something and use his POD farm until he gets some more money for an amp.

Really to move this further we need more info on what he feels his current setup is lacking and and what his budget is.

Fender Tele
PRS SE Custom 24
Agile AL-3100

Jet City JCA50H
Randall 2x12 wV30s
evmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: