Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-07-2013, 10:38 AM   #1
boyad

Vox AC4TV with OD pedal?

Hey there I recently got a Vox AC4TV, which by the way, is a great amp and sounds great and pretty loud. The only thing I can think of that this amp lacks is a little "oomph" on the drive (dont get me wrong, this amp has a beautiful, warmth, natural overdriven sound). I was thinking of getting a Boss SD1, or something similar. I heard this amp doesnt sound good with some ODs, maybe its not completely true.

I own an Epiphone Riviera, and play mostly: indie and alternative rock, classic rock, blues rock, and some hard rock.

Last edited by boyad : 05-07-2013 at 10:47 AM.
boyad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #2
red.guitar
Imagine All The People

I owned the half stack version for a while.

I use to put my MXR ZW-44 OD in front of it to push it a little harder. I got the best results by dropping the gain on the pedal back, and cranking the output. It just pushes the tubes a little harder.

Any OD pedal would be able to achieve this. I personally do not have any experience with the SD1, but I haven't heard a lot of good about it either. The MXR / Tubescreamer type drive pedals would probably work great for what you want.

What kinda budget are you looking at?

What I ended up doing with my vox, was swap the cheap stock speaker out for a C-Rex, and I swapped the cheap chinese tube for a Tung-Sol 12ax7. Mine had a Ruby power tube in there, so I just left it alone.
Snake Pit Les Paul
MIM Fender Tele

Amps:
Jet City JCA 50H
Vox AC30CCH
Mesa Boogie 212
Randall 212+115
red.guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:22 AM   #3
mattrusso

I just got one of these amps, too. It sounds absolutely beastly with my Fuzz Face. The way a fuzz reacts with the natural breakup of an amp like this is really a thing of beauty. My Joyo Ultimate Drive sounds good for more "standard" types of OD sounds, too. Personally, I would go for a fuzz because it's gonna mesh better with the amp than an OD/distortion. It also seems like you could cover pretty much your whole stylistic range with just the amp's breakup and a fuzz.
mattrusso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:27 AM   #4
boyad

Quote:
Originally Posted by red.guitar

I use to put my MXR ZW-44 OD in front of it to push it a little harder. I got the best results by dropping the gain on the pedal back, and cranking the output. It just pushes the tubes a little harder.

Any OD pedal would be able to achieve this. I personally do not have any experience with the SD1, but I haven't heard a lot of good about it either. The MXR / Tubescreamer type drive pedals would probably work great for what you want.

What kinda budget are you looking at?

What I ended up doing with my vox, was swap the cheap stock speaker out for a C-Rex, and I swapped the cheap chinese tube for a Tung-Sol 12ax7. Mine had a Ruby power tube in there, so I just left it alone.

my budget is $100.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:34 AM   #5
mattrusso

Check out the Dunlop Mini Fuzz Face pedals. There are three variations: Hendrix, (same exact circuit as the regular Hendrix model, which is the one I have and normally costs $149) Germanium, and Silicon (the Hendrix one is silicon as well). They cost exactly $100. Supposedly they're all spec'd from vintage pedals.
mattrusso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #6
boyad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrusso
I just got one of these amps, too. It sounds absolutely beastly with my Fuzz Face. The way a fuzz reacts with the natural breakup of an amp like this is really a thing of beauty. My Joyo Ultimate Drive sounds good for more "standard" types of OD sounds, too. Personally, I would go for a fuzz because it's gonna mesh better with the amp than an OD/distortion. It also seems like you could cover pretty much your whole stylistic range with just the amp's breakup and a fuzz.

Im not that much into fuzz pedals, the Big Muff doesn't convince me (though I really like the white stripes and black keys sound).

Last edited by boyad : 05-07-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:45 PM   #7
red.guitar
Imagine All The People

If I were you, take your amp to a store and try some different od's and distortion pedals that are in your price range.
Snake Pit Les Paul
MIM Fender Tele

Amps:
Jet City JCA 50H
Vox AC30CCH
Mesa Boogie 212
Randall 212+115
red.guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:56 PM   #8
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Quote:
If I were you, take your amp to a store and try some different od's and distortion pedals that are in your price range.

This is the only way you will truly know whether you like a pedal or not. You'll also need to take your guitar.

FWIW, I use the AC4 stack & it sounds great with the Joyo Ultimate Drive. I just replaced it with the MXR Custom Badass '78 Distortion & that sounds excellent too. However both pedals would sound very different if I was using a different guitar & amp.

Watching video reviews of pedals on youtube will give you an idea of how they might sound. You're not very likely to find anyone using the same setup you use, but they should be enough to allow you to make a judgment on whether you think it may work or not. (Make sure you're using good speakers/headphones though, or youtube will make everything sound terrible through standard inbuilt laptop speakers)
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:16 PM   #9
jorgeluisramon

I have an OD-3 that interacts very nice with my egnater rebel head. You can try one of those and see if it suits your needs
jorgeluisramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:44 PM   #10
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:

the sd1 is great. its bypass is a bit meh (bleedthrough), but the actual od is pretty good.

and isn't the ZW pretty much an sd1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrusso

i wouldn't say "better", but a fuzz is definitely worth considering.

(just to point out, i haven't tried the ac4, I just mean in general. Unless they're something about the ac4 which makes it really love fuzz pedals above all else, which is fair enough ).

a distortion would be worth considering too for the hard rock stuff (and even the classic rock stuff).

or heck just get a rat. mooer black secret is pretty nice and has the clipping switch to get you rat and pseudo-turbo rat tones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:49 PM   #11
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyad
my budget is $100.

You can get used ZW-OD for $65

There was some one who showed the ZW-OD and the MXR GT-OD are the exact same pedals. There is a little internal switch that changes from 1 mode to the other
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:00 AM   #12
boyad

I think Im gonna go for the EH Germanium 4 Big Muff. I only need to try it with my amp and guitar, but what I've heard sounded great.

Rate This Thread: