Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-06-2010, 08:19 PM   #1
jimmys_

Guitar Multi-Effects

Hello.
I'm interested in buying a guitar multi-effect processor.
I'm between the following models:
Vox Tonelab LE
Vox Tonelab ST
Boss GT-10
Boss ME70
Boss ME50
Boss ME25
Digitech RP1000
Digitech RP500
Digitech RP355
Digitech RP255
Korg AX3000G
Zoom G2.1Nu
Zoom G7.1ut
Zoom G9.2tt

I know that there probably is a big difference between their specifications and that's why I need help to pick the best one for me. If someone knows some information about these models or some pros and cons would be great.

I'm listening to any suggestion from everyone.
jimmys_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:26 PM   #2
josephde
UG Elder

I'm really into multi-effects. I currently have the Line 6 M13 and Korg AX1500G, and I've had/used almost everything on that list except the Zooms.

But seriously, without knowing what features you're looking for, what sounds your needing, how you plan on using it, what are must haves and must not haves, I really can't help you. Give us some info on your situation here. What other gear do you have?
josephde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:28 PM   #3
C0FF1NCAS3

I own a Boss ME70 and its pretty freakin awesome. Its very simple to use, you get great control over almost every detail of every effect. You can get great sounds out of it with no real mastery of the thing and as you gain mastery you find new ways to use it and improve on things you've already discovered. Has a whole dedicated delay part that also serves as a sweet looper. You can even save tones and effect groups and it has a tuner.
Only cons are you need to invest an additional $17 to plug the thing in as batteries don't last.

Last edited by C0FF1NCAS3 : 04-06-2010 at 08:30 PM.
C0FF1NCAS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:35 PM   #4
MrLazyCurtis

Boss
For Metal in particular I highly recommend
Boss ME70 5/5

Zoom
I have a Zoom G2.1- They are fairly good, and has a good community which provides some well made patches. But I found it to digital/sorta unrealistic sound, The disortion is good enough and I have used this for gigging 4/5

Zoom G7.1 and Zoom G9.2 are very good pedals, well designed and the sound is great. it also has a line input or via usb to a computer which lets you record internally into your computer which is veeeeeeeeeery helpful if you want to record.
4.5/5

Helpful note
Youtube, check out the reviews, test out product, and look at the features of the product you're buying

hope that helps you out =)

My Stuff
Jackson Kelly KE3
Legacy Emerald Pro
Yamaha Pacifca
Zoom G2
MrLazyCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:38 PM   #5
stoic

I've played a lot of Boss stuff over the years and most of their multieffects systems just seem to be a bit lacking when it comes to overdrive and distortion.

I've had an RP1000 for about six months and really like it. I still haven't used everything that is on it - there are just too many choices. It's not perfect, but it has more features than any other board that you've listed. It has a ton of amp/cab simulators, really good distortion and overdrives that are pretty close reproductions to the originals, great delays and coloring effects from chorus to envelope filters, three different wah effects, and a Whammy. The only thing that I think it lacks is reverbs, which are just okay. Add to that the ability to choose effects being pre or post amp, a USB out, a looper, amp/cabinet bypass tuner, and a great software package to get just about everything out of it that you want from your computer. It also allows you to use the effects as a pedal board, turning effects on and off at will in each patch instead of having to make several patches. You can even add your other effects pedals into the loop, which I don't think I've seen before on any pedalboard. It switches very quick and is very easy to program.

I would suggest checking all of those boards on your list, and check into how easy they are to program. If something is too difficult, you'll end up moving on to something else. Some effects boards have some great presets that get old after you get home, and then it's up to you to make your own sounds. Do a little research on the internet on each model. I wanted as many effects as possible while being able to directly plug into my DAW without it sounding like crap. I haven't been disappointed yet. It's the closest thing to a great rack mount system that I've found. Check it out.

Last edited by stoic : 04-06-2010 at 08:41 PM.
stoic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:39 PM   #6
jimmys_

Thanks for the quick replies..

I don't have any other similar gear and I know almost nothing about the features that multi-effects provide. Until now all I used was effects from my amp but I wanted something more that's why I decided to get a multi-effect processor. I know that every one has the basic effects etc so I ask what else should I look for (for example Boss GT-10 also has a loop station or something like that).

Also it would be cool if I could connect it with my computer and manage it from the computer.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:44 PM   #7
josephde
UG Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmys_
Thanks for the quick replies..

I don't have any other similar gear and I know almost nothing about the features that multi-effects provide. Until now all I used was effects from my amp but I wanted something more that's why I decided to get a multi-effect processor. I know that every one has the basic effects etc so I ask what else should I look for (for example Boss GT-10 also has a loop station or something like that).

Also it would be cool if I could connect it with my computer and manage it from the computer.

What guitar and amp are you using? Is the amp multi-channel? If so, is it footswitchable? Do you like your amps distortion or are you planning to use distortion from the effects unit? Do you have any other effects pedals or is this going to be it? Are you planning on using this in a live situation or is this just for home jamming? What style of music do you play? You say you want to be able to manage it from your computer - do you have midi capabilities or are you relying on USB only?

These are units with tons of features and varying sound quality. Once we know what features are must haves, we can eliminate the ones that won't work at all and suggest which ones might be best for your scenario without sacrificing tone.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:56 PM   #8
jimmys_

My amp is a Line6 Spider 3 but I'm planning to just use the multi-effect in the future.. I'm also getting a new guitar and that's a problem because I'm either getting an Ibanez S series or an LTD MH/M/H series guitar but I still haven't decided yet..
Probably it will be just it for now and definitely has to be foot controlled and preferably with an expression pedal. I'm not an expert player so I don't have any demands for live situations. I'll use it at home for practice and experimenting.. I like to play rock/metal sound..

Last edited by jimmys_ : 04-06-2010 at 08:58 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:03 PM   #9
MrLazyCurtis

okay do not use zoom g2 pedals with line 6 spider 3, i had one and I couldn't play at all with the spider amp because all it would do was do these high pitched squeels. It does not like working with zooms...

Test the combability with your pedal before buying it, i did not do that and regretted it

And the answer to your question about what you should be looking for when looking at multi effect pedals is:

Multi Effects Pedals should havea fair amount of effects(drive, delay, mod effects)
noise reduction
compressor
reverb
wah/efx
EQ
Cabinet settings

My Stuff
Jackson Kelly KE3
Legacy Emerald Pro
Yamaha Pacifca
Zoom G2
MrLazyCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:09 PM   #10
stoic

That's kinda funny. I have a Line 6 Spider III half stack and got tired of the lack of effects choices. I use my RP1000 through it clean now.
stoic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:18 PM   #11
josephde
UG Elder

Alright, then here's my take:

The pedals you're looking at range from about $100-$500 and go from compact footswitches to full footboards, and you aren't terribly familiar with what you're looking for in a unit. You're playing through a Spider 3 at home and are really just buying this to experiment around on. I don't think you have any need for a full footboard, or that you should invest that much money in effects when your amp is lacking and you don't have much musical direction. So my advice would be to stick to a smaller unit until you figure out what types of effects you use a lot, what features are really important to you, and what type of sound you're going after. Then you can invest in either a large multi-effects unit that meets your needs, or individual pedals that will help you get the sound you're looking for.

Like I said, I can't speak for the Zoom's, but I would say your best bet is to try out the Boss ME-25 and the Digitech RP255. They're completely different interfaces and sound different as well, but I think that feature-wise they fit your needs best right now without blowing money mindlessly. They also both have expression pedals, so knock yourself out. Spend some time in a store fiddling with them and seeing which you think sounds better and is easiest to edit. I'm sure there'll be a Spider in the store as well, so try it on your amp to get a real feel for what you can get out of it.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:29 PM   #12
jimmys_

@josephde i think you are right.. probably I won't go with the more expensive ones.. I'm thinking though for the rp355 since there is very small difference in the price with rp255.. how does tonelab st compares with rp355 since they are at the same price more or less?
Old 04-06-2010, 10:18 PM   #13
josephde
UG Elder

The RP355 has a 20 second looper. It has an easier to understand and use interface (albeit not as controlling) - it's simple to maneuver through presets and alter your sounds. The RP has no pesky tube which really does no good at that price range for anything except increasing maintenance costs. And the RP has a bigger group of users who post settings for you to put on your pedal. The RP has a phrase trainer. The RP has more effects, amps, and cabs.

The Vox is really a waste... Pretty similar to my Korg AX1500G which I've been trying to get rid of for a while.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:24 PM   #14
jimmys_

After lot of research I eliminated many options and finally I've decided to either go for the Digitech RP355 or if I can spend more money for the Boss ME-70. I think any other which is below or above those two is not in my plans. The question now is if the ME-70 worths the extra cash or if I should stick with the RP355.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:29 PM   #15
1ArmyGuitar
LIVESTRONG

I have the 355 and havent eve scratched the surface of it yet, but it is my 1st pedal so I am still figuring it out
Jackson Dinky
Custom Explorer
Custom V(being built)
CEC Amplification Suckerpunch 15
Catalinbread DLS v2
Humphrey Audio Slo/Diezel mod MT-2
Monsterpiece NPN/Classic
1ArmyGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 02:46 PM   #16
jeffo46

My amp is a Fender Frontman 65R and I recently ordered a Zoom John5 Signature Series pedal from them. I've had it for about 2 weeks now, and I absolutely love it. I'm on a low budget due to being married and having a mortgage to pay every month, so to me, this pedal is worth the $50.00 I paid and is way much better than Digitech's RP-50, which I used to have a couple of years ago.
jeffo46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 03:41 PM   #17
fly135
Cheap Gear Enthusiast

I picked up a Zoom G9.2TT recently. I am impressed with the unit. I've owned quite a few multifx and the Zoom can compete tone wise with all of them.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:19 PM   #18
suffersystem
Death Valley Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephde
I'm really into multi-effects. I currently have the Line 6 M13 and Korg AX1500G, and I've had/used almost everything on that list except the Zooms.

But seriously, without knowing what features you're looking for, what sounds your needing, how you plan on using it, what are must haves and must not haves, I really can't help you. Give us some info on your situation here. What other gear do you have?

I had the 1500G years ago and loved it! I actually wish I could get my hands on another one, it was a great little effects pedal.
Epiphone Flying V
Epiphone SG with P90's
Peavey 6505+ head
Mesa 4X12 cabinet
Line 6 POD X3 Live

http://www.facebook.com/DeathValleyDriverPEI
suffersystem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:13 PM   #19
josephde
UG Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by suffersystem
I had the 1500G years ago and loved it! I actually wish I could get my hands on another one, it was a great little effects pedal.

It's definitely a nifty pedal. The A/B channel for each patch was a great idea. It suffers from two common problems though - weak, thin distortion and a pause when switching patches.

EDIT: and I got mine used, so it might just be a faulty unit, but the LED screen is inexplicably dim with no way to brighten it. It's unreadable from more than a foot away. All the LED's in it besides the ones above each pedal are too dim really.

Last edited by josephde : 04-07-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:42 AM   #20
jimmys_

Between the Boss ME-25 and the ME-70 which do you recommend? Besides their different specifications, is there a difference in the sound quality? For example, is the same effect with the same exact setting sounding better on the ME-70 than the ME-25?

Rate This Thread: