Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-05-2009, 09:42 PM   #61
darthteet

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedoms_stain
I like comics, I'm probably more into Japanese stuff than western, but I've read plenty of western stuff too.

Boo!

I can't stand the more anime styles. Give me a good old western classic comic style anyway.

Also, I like reading from left to right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwaffles
I think you've won this thread.

Quote:
darthteet just scored big on the win scale.
darthteet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:52 PM   #62
freedoms_stain

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthteet
Boo!

I can't stand the more anime styles. Give me a good old western classic comic style anyway.

Also, I like reading from left to right.
Not all Japanese work is "anime" style, and not all of it is right to left either.

Blade of the Immortal author/artist Hiroaki Samura personally rearranges and even redraws whole panels so his work can be read in left to right in English. And his art style can't really be called "anime" either

It's highly detailed and realistic.

I'm also a fan of old Kazuo Koike and Goseki Kojima works from the 70's such as Lone Wolf And Cub and Path of the Assassin. The entire 28 volume Lone Wolf series is printed in English left to right and can't be said to be "anime" either

You shouldn't confuse Manga and Shonen as the same thing. Shonen is deliberately aimed at younger audiences and as such has a distinctive look, i.e. Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, stuff like that. The same way you wouldn't place a Sin City book in the same league as the Beano (if it's still around)
freedoms_stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:57 PM   #63
darthteet

I've read some of the stuff (that one with Alucard is all I can really recall at the moment) and it never really won me over. The stuff you posted is different in style, but I can definitely see the influence. I dunno, I just aesthetically prefer stuff in the style of Preacher, Y and the 'classic' superhero comics. Though I do like the style of Ultimate Spiderman and the like.

Though I did love the Beano, I used to buy it every week, or month, I can't remember when it came out. I'd always buy the previous years annuals just after January when they were dead cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwaffles
I think you've won this thread.

Quote:
darthteet just scored big on the win scale.
darthteet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:13 PM   #64
ocelott
Yeah Yeah

Quote:
Not all Japanese work is "anime" style, and not all of it is right to left either.

Blade of the Immortal author/artist Hiroaki Samura personally rearranges and even redraws whole panels so his work can be read in left to right in English. And his art style can't really be called "anime" either

It's highly detailed and realistic.

I'm also a fan of old Kazuo Koike and Goseki Kojima works from the 70's such as Lone Wolf And Cub and Path of the Assassin. The entire 28 volume Lone Wolf series is printed in English left to right and can't be said to be "anime" either

You shouldn't confuse Manga and Shonen as the same thing. Shonen is deliberately aimed at younger audiences and as such has a distinctive look, i.e. Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, stuff like that. The same way you wouldn't place a Sin City book in the same league as the Beano (if it's still around)

wow this looks awesome!
Old 01-05-2009, 11:17 PM   #65
Oblong6
Banned

The Judas Contract owns all.
Oblong6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:52 AM   #66
ocelott
Yeah Yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlassikMetal666
So this is a book that's coming out? I really need to get my hands on it haha.

that's cool dude, thanks. I'll mail you the first one whenever it comes out.

this chick here, is that crazy dude's (John) wife. she was tortured, murdered then raped (in that order) she was preagnant. so crazy dude... goes crazy. can't sleep. loses faith in god, gets out of the Navy... and at night, when he sleeps, things happen. his wife is now a voice in his head. this is a concept sketch. the back on her dress is gonna change, she's suppossed to be disfigured on her back from when they hung her from metal hooks and gutted her... yeah, it's gonna be gory and evil. this will be mature reader material.

so she says in his head "John, remember I always looked away when you had to go. You "Navy Seal" you... so secretive... but I knew. I've always known what you did out there. Now... I want you to do me a favor sweety... kill the bastards... kill them all." (now place any metal song here) lol

Old 01-06-2009, 04:07 AM   #67
KlassikMetal666
is awesome.

That's wicked.
KlassikMetal666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:15 AM   #68
fallenangel20
Kung Fu Treachery

Location: In the City of Echoes At the Soundless Dawn (Douglasville, GA)
Stereotypical answer, I'm sure, but Watchmen is my most favorite series ever.

Granted, I don't have LOADS of comic experience, sadly. I really want to, and know of a place where I can buy them, but I never have the time or money to go there and get any, since it's a good 45 minutes away.

I have a few older assorted comics, as well as Green Arrow's "Quiver" (the first set that Kevin Smith wrote), along side Watchmen. I've also downloaded "Y the Last Man", but haven't started it yet.

The shop I mentioned above sent me a $10 gift certificate, though, so I may be out there in the next few weeks to pick something up.

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20

Last edited by fallenangel20 : 01-06-2009 at 04:16 AM.
fallenangel20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:36 AM   #69
ocelott
Yeah Yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenangel20
Stereotypical answer, I'm sure, but Watchmen is my most favorite series ever.

Granted, I don't have LOADS of comic experience, sadly. I really want to, and know of a place where I can buy them, but I never have the time or money to go there and get any, since it's a good 45 minutes away.

I have a few older assorted comics, as well as Green Arrow's "Quiver" (the first set that Kevin Smith wrote), along side Watchmen. I've also downloaded "Y the Last Man", but haven't started it yet.

The shop I mentioned above sent me a $10 gift certificate, though, so I may be out there in the next few weeks to pick something up.

I highly recommend "Elephantmen" from Image, it's a really neat book. The artwork is top notch and the story's a bit trippy. Talk about WATCHMEN though... jesus, I'm in love with that book and I've only read the first issue (i know, i'm waaay behind) but I'm buying the whole novel this week.I feel your pain, the shop here sucks ass.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:05 AM   #70
fallenangel20
Kung Fu Treachery

The shope closest to me actually has a nice selection, it's just so goddamned far away. =/ The guy who runs it really nice, too. He makes sure his customers are aware of the incoming stock, upcoming deals, etc.

Like I said, he sends out gift certificates for people's birthdays. =P

And, yeah, I downloaded all 12 issues of Watchmen after I saw the trailer for the movie (yeah, yeah, stereotypical), and I read the first four issues, and I was hooked. I went out and bought the book at Borders the next day.

'Tis quite amazing. Alan Moore ftw.

Saxo-Walrus

Old 01-06-2009, 05:23 AM   #71
ocelott
Yeah Yeah

Quote:
The shope closest to me actually has a nice selection, it's just so goddamned far away. =/ The guy who runs it really nice, too. He makes sure his customers are aware of the incoming stock, upcoming deals, etc.

Like I said, he sends out gift certificates for people's birthdays. =P

And, yeah, I downloaded all 12 issues of Watchmen after I saw the trailer for the movie (yeah, yeah, stereotypical), and I read the first four issues, and I was hooked. I went out and bought the book at Borders the next day.

'Tis quite amazing. Alan Moore ftw.

downloaded??? hmmm... how? (message me) lol nah dude, this dude at this shop sucks ass. I'm sure he's not the owner... if he is, he's one hell of a ******. I was trying to tell him I was doing a self published book and if he'd be cool with me doing a book sell + sketches there. He was all gay about it. Dude, you're getting advertisement! lol He doesn't even know, I got friends at radio stations plus I'd self advertise (come out of my own pocket)... he's def not the owner. But when I do talk to the owner... I'm gonna lay the smack down. Now it's different though, cause I'm co-working with a small press company. So I'll be representing a different Image.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:59 AM   #72
Mustage

My favorite manga: AKIRA

there is also a movie, you should watch it also it's really good
Mustage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:38 AM   #73
DaveM666

I love spawn and the walking dead, and I love the superman comics, currently after doomsday: the death of superman

http://www.cveitch.org/?p=573
DaveM666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:28 PM   #74
fallenangel20
Kung Fu Treachery

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelott
downloaded??? hmmm... how? (message me)

PM sent.

On another, different note:

I love Chuck BBs work. He writes and draws the Black Metal comics, as well as contributes small, four panel comics to Decibel each month.

Dude knows his metal, and makes some HYSTERICAL comics.

Saxo-Walrus

Old 01-06-2009, 02:29 PM   #75
freedoms_stain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustage
Caption: LICK MY BALLS BITCH!!!
Old 01-06-2009, 02:56 PM   #76
ocelott
Yeah Yeah

Quote:
PM sent.

On another, different note:

I love Chuck BBs work. He writes and draws the Black Metal comics, as well as contributes small, four panel comics to Decibel each month.

Dude knows his metal, and makes some HYSTERICAL comics.

I gotta check that out then. sounds cool
Old 01-06-2009, 03:03 PM   #77
Pookie6
<3's Summer Glau

Quote:
I highly recommend "Elephantmen" from Image, it's a really neat book. The artwork is top notch and the story's a bit trippy. Talk about WATCHMEN though... jesus, I'm in love with that book and I've only read the first issue (i know, i'm waaay behind) but I'm buying the whole novel this week.I feel your pain, the shop here sucks ass.

I just bought it this weekend. Best $20 spent ever.

Quote:
downloaded??? hmmm... how? (message me).

Fallen Angel probably told you already but there's a program called Comic book reader(or CBR) and you can go on Isohunt or torrent websites and search for CBR files wich are comic books you can read.

Like i said i bought The Watchmen last week and it's really good. I decided to buy it because reading it through torrents on a compurter just plain sucks and isn't the same. That's the only graphic novel i've ever read but i really want to get and read Sin City, The Spirt and V for Vendetta. Also i want to read the new Punisher Max graphic novel seeing as The Punisher is one of my favorite comic book storys/heros. It's supposed to be a mature version of the origin story of Frank Castle and sounds really good

As for Comic books i'll i've ever gotten and read has been Spider-Man but i've been wanting to read more. Green Lantern has to be one of my favorite comic book heros.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:04 PM   #78
freedoms_stain

The Spirit film was freakin awful, does not inspire the urge to read the book at all.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:08 PM   #79
Pookie6
<3's Summer Glau

Quote:
The Spirit film was freakin awful, does not inspire the urge to read the book at all.

It did for me. The story of the movie seems interesting enough if it's at all similar to the book. But mainly i want to read it just because some of the parts of the movie really made me go "WTF??"(Samuel L. Jackson dressing up as a nazi??) and i want to know if there's any point to those parts like if they were a part of the book or if they were there just to be there.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:12 PM   #80
freedoms_stain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie6
It did for me. The story of the movie seems interesting enough if it's at all similar to the book. But mainly i want to read it just because some of the parts of the movie really made me go "WTF??"(Samuel L. Jackson dressing up as a nazi??) and i want to know if there's any point to those parts like if they were a part of the book or if they were there just to be there.
I thought it was fucking awful.

I actually want my 6.80 back. And the 2 hours I spent in the cinema.

The dark tone of the visuals and the slapstick humour of the story (which was pretty painful anyway) didn't mesh well.

Rate This Thread: