Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 01-06-2009, 03:19 PM   #81
ocelott
Yeah Yeah
 
ocelott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedoms_stain
I thought it was fucking awful.

I actually want my 6.80 back. And the 2 hours I spent in the cinema.

The dark tone of the visuals and the slapstick humour of the story (which was pretty painful anyway) didn't mesh well.

wow... i knew it'd suck ass! lol i looked silly from the start. I really hope watchmen lives up to the book... i hope it does.
__________________
"Recycling and speed limits are bullshit...They're like someone who quits smoking on his deathbed."
ocelott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:37 PM   #82
rigiddigits
Robot
 
rigiddigits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: London
I'm working my way through early volumes of Bleach at the moment. It suits my currently very short attention span.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedoms_stain
Not all Japanese work is "anime" style, and not all of it is right to left either.

Blade of the Immortal author/artist Hiroaki Samura personally rearranges and even redraws whole panels so his work can be read in left to right in English. And his art style can't really be called "anime" either.
Oh my god, I love Blade of the Immortal. I had a Rin avatar on here for a while last year.

/fangirl


And I liked the 'look' of the Spirit, but the styles of acting were kind of discordant with what they seemed to be going for imo.
__________________
LISTEN TO SUPER MASH BROS

(_.) (`._) (_.) 女の子 です (`._) (_.) (`._)
onnanoko desu

Last edited by rigiddigits : 01-06-2009 at 03:40 PM.
rigiddigits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:59 PM   #83
freedoms_stain
...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigiddigits
I'm working my way through early volumes of Bleach at the moment. It suits my currently very short attention span.
Bleach is pretty good up to and including the soul society arc, after that it gets a bit "wha....?"

Quote:
Oh my god, I love Blade of the Immortal. I had a Rin avatar on here for a while last year.

/fangirl
It is indeed awesome, I'm about to order volumes 18 and 19. The latest arc is freakin weird, not so much action either

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigiddigits
And I liked the 'look' of the Spirit, but the styles of acting were kind of discordant with what they seemed to be going for imo.
See, I didn't know much about it before I saw it, I just heard "Frank Miller" "Sin City style visuals" and I thought "cool, I'll give that a gander" but it didn't work for me.

Also, I spent a large portion of the film trying to decide if I fancied Eva Mendes only to ultimately conclude that I do not.
freedoms_stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:30 PM   #84
rigiddigits
Robot
 
rigiddigits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedoms_stain
See, I didn't know much about it before I saw it, I just heard "Frank Miller" "Sin City style visuals" and I thought "cool, I'll give that a gander" but it didn't work for me.
mm, it did feel like they were trying to do too much with it I think. I preferred Sin City.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedoms_stain
Also, I spent a large portion of the film trying to decide if I fancied Eva Mendes only to ultimately conclude that I do not.
Johansson > Mendes any day of the week.
__________________
LISTEN TO SUPER MASH BROS

(_.) (`._) (_.) 女の子 です (`._) (_.) (`._)
onnanoko desu
rigiddigits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:39 PM   #85
freedoms_stain
...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigiddigits
mm, it did feel like they were trying to do too much with it I think. I preferred Sin City.Johansson > Mendes any day of the week.
Sin City was definately better, and the books are excellent. I can't wait for Sin City 2 and the books coming with it.

And I concur, Johansson definately takes that prize.
freedoms_stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:52 PM   #86
GiantRaven
UG Spammer
 
GiantRaven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Leicester
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthteet


IMO Preacher is the best book series ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenangel20
I have a few older assorted comics, as well as Green Arrow's "Quiver" (the first set that Kevin Smith wrote)


That entire series of books (numbered 1 to 9 I think...) are really good

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedoms_stain
The Spirit film was freakin awful, does not inspire the urge to read the book at all.


I thought that was one of the best damn films i've ever seen...I can't see why it's getting such huge criticism...
__________________
Ravenstone
GiantRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:59 PM   #87
coolestloser
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasveer
The Walking Dead is a fantastic comic series



Defintely agreed, gotta be the best zombie comic series I've read.
The author, Kirkman, is a great guy too, pretty down to earth and good to the fans. He actually gets his comics from the same shop that I do so I've met him a few times.

As for my favorite comics I'm pretty much a marvel fanboy, but I do love pretty much every batman graphic novel I've read and a lot of stuff from Darkhorse I've found I like.
coolestloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:02 PM   #88
freedoms_stain
...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRaven
I thought that was one of the best damn films i've ever seen...I can't see why it's getting such huge criticism...
It just didn't impress me.

Maybe the ads shouldn't have been calling it "one of the best films of the year" when it was released on the 1st of january. Built it up for a fall.
freedoms_stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:15 PM   #89
Pookie6
<3's Summer Glau
 
Pookie6's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRaven

I thought that was one of the best damn films i've ever seen...I can't see why it's getting such huge criticism...


GiantRaven!

It's not that i thought The Spirit was terrible(which i don't think it was) it just wasn't as good as it could have been, but even with that i can't say much because i never read any of the books and didn't know what it was gonna be like. I'm fine with paying for it, but mainly because my friend did He had a movie card and paid for my and another friend.

I dunno, there's worse movies. The Spirit at the least entertained me.
__________________
There's no death, no end of time when I'm facing it with you...
Pookie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:23 PM   #90
flyingmarlin
UG's Bill Foster
 
flyingmarlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: UK
__________________
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?


Help me to live.


I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
flyingmarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:31 PM   #91
ocelott
Yeah Yeah
 
ocelott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie6
GiantRaven!

It's not that i thought The Spirit was terrible(which i don't think it was) it just wasn't as good as it could have been, but even with that i can't say much because i never read any of the books and didn't know what it was gonna be like. I'm fine with paying for it, but mainly because my friend did He had a movie card and paid for my and another friend.

I dunno, there's worse movies. The Spirit at the least entertained me.

ok... should i waste my time with it? lol that's all i wanna know
__________________
"Recycling and speed limits are bullshit...They're like someone who quits smoking on his deathbed."
ocelott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:34 PM   #92
fallenangel20
Kung Fu Treachery
 
fallenangel20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In the City of Echoes At the Soundless Dawn (Douglasville, GA)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRaven
That entire series of books (numbered 1 to 9 I think...) are really good

Yeah, I've only read the first two books, I think (I started it, but never got around to finishing it), and I loved what I read.

It was hard to get into, at first, because I wasn't completely aware of Green Arrow's story, or background, so I had to study up a little beforehand.

I really need to get the next (and last, if I'm not mistaken) book that Kevin Smith did, so I can finally see Onomatopoeia in action, and THEN read Batman: Cacophony, the latest three-book mini series with Smith writing and Walt Flanagan drawing.
__________________
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!


Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
fallenangel20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:14 PM   #93
Pookie6
<3's Summer Glau
 
Pookie6's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingmarlin


That was my avatar a looooong time ago on here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelott
ok... should i waste my time with it? lol that's all i wanna know


Wait for it to come out on DVD i'd say.

Edit: Time to download and read Punisher Max!
__________________
There's no death, no end of time when I'm facing it with you...

Last edited by Pookie6 : 01-06-2009 at 07:17 PM.
Pookie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:25 PM   #94
ocelott
Yeah Yeah
 
ocelott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Florida
Anybody seen the new punisher???
__________________
"Recycling and speed limits are bullshit...They're like someone who quits smoking on his deathbed."
ocelott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:45 PM   #95
KlassikMetal666
is awesome.
 
KlassikMetal666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pandora
I haven't even seen the old one.


and Pookie6, *cough*minnesotawildsuck*cough*
KlassikMetal666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:59 PM   #96
Pookie6
<3's Summer Glau
 
Pookie6's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlassikMetal666
I haven't even seen the old one.


and Pookie6, *cough*minnesotawildsuck*cough*


You and i both know that ain't true. Come on now.

The first Punisher was very good, i liked it alot.
__________________
There's no death, no end of time when I'm facing it with you...
Pookie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:02 PM   #97
KlassikMetal666
is awesome.
 
KlassikMetal666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pandora
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie6
You and i both know that ain't true. Come on now.

The first Punisher was very good, i liked it alot.

Ok, they aren't that bad, the Western conference has a lot of amazing teams.

and maybe I'll check out the Punisher sometime, both the comic and movie.
KlassikMetal666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:46 PM   #98
Pookie6
<3's Summer Glau
 
Pookie6's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlassikMetal666
Ok, they aren't that bad, the Western conference has a lot of amazing teams.

and maybe I'll check out the Punisher sometime, both the comic and movie.


You should, i'd say read the Punisher Max series, but i wouldn't know for sure, i haven't read it yet and only know that it's supposed to be a more mature version.
__________________
There's no death, no end of time when I'm facing it with you...
Pookie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:12 PM   #99
ocelott
Yeah Yeah
 
ocelott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie6
You should, i'd say read the Punisher Max series, but i wouldn't know for sure, i haven't read it yet and only know that it's supposed to be a more mature version.

I thought the first Punisher was pretty good. I don't know about the new one though... that dude looks nothing like the comic Punisher... and to it's very important.
__________________
"Recycling and speed limits are bullshit...They're like someone who quits smoking on his deathbed."
ocelott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:03 PM   #100
deluxe_man
Registered User
 
deluxe_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenangel20
I really need to get the next (and last, if I'm not mistaken) book that Kevin Smith did, so I can finally see Onomatopoeia in action, and THEN read Batman: Cacophony, the latest three-book mini series with Smith writing and Walt Flanagan drawing.


Cacophony is pretty good. Considering it's one of the first batman books i've read, i'm going to have to go and pick up "the killing joke"...
__________________
Gigs:
2006 - Motorhead
2008 - Feeder
2009 - Sonisphere
2010 - Feeder
2011 - Yes
2011 - Zappa plays Zappa
2012 - Mastodon, Chimaira, Adrenaline Mob, Young Guns, Alestorm, Motorhead/Anthrax, Dying Fetus, You Me At Six
deluxe_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:30 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.