Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-16-2010, 08:30 AM   #1
fullsailstudent
guitar eater

catalinbread DLS vs Wampler Plextortion (pedals that sound marshally)

so here is the question. anyone tried either of these pedals. I'm lookin to get one. cant get both. I already tried one of the mass produced ZVEX Box of Rock. my impression was that it sounded cheap and fake on the bose L1 II and recording direct through the pedal. also the boost was not my taste. never tried the hand wired Box of Rock so I still dont know if its gonna be a big difference.

so I'm thinking of buying a catalinbread dirty little secret. it claims to do jcm800 and a switch for plexi. the wampler plextortion and also maybe the wampler pinacle (EVH marshall super lead) come highly recommended by a few people I have met.

open to suggestions of any other pedals as well. NO digital or modelling please.
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.
fullsailstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:35 AM   #2
STABxYOU
Keeps Punk Rock Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullsailstudent
NO digital or modelling please.

Fail.
They're all analog modelling pedals.

Anyways, what about a Sansamp?

Personally, I like my Jackhammer, but it's more like an 80s solid state Marshall than a tube Marshall.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
STABxYOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:25 AM   #3
fullsailstudent
guitar eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by STABxYOU
Fail.
They're all analog modelling pedals.

Anyways, what about a Sansamp?

Personally, I like my Jackhammer, but it's more like an 80s solid state Marshall than a tube Marshall.

FAIL @ FAIL. modelling is short for amp modelling. amp modelling is software that runs on a computer or a dsp chip in your multifx. there is no such thing as analog modelling. if its not digital you cant call it modelling. by your definition of "modelling", the sansamp PSA is no different than the pedals i suggested. so I really dont see how you can put that one above the other pedals. BTW I was asking about $200 - 300 pedals that sound like older marshalls. the sansamp is a $900 analog multi fx rack unit that is not exactly a marshall in a box.
Quote:
Old 04-16-2010, 09:42 AM   #4
monkey_dancer
Tastes like chicken.

Modelling means that the gear is meant to recreate a specific sound. It is modelled after the sound of whatever it's supposed to emulate. How this is achieved, whether through analogue or digital means, isn't the issue.

Back on topic, what do you want the pedal for? What sound(s), how much versatility etc.
What other gear do you use? Just the PA you mentioned, or an amp, other pedals?
How much are you prepared to spend?

Last edited by monkey_dancer : 04-16-2010 at 09:43 AM.
monkey_dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:43 AM   #5
STABxYOU
Keeps Punk Rock Elite

Quote:
FAIL @ FAIL. modelling is short for amp modelling. amp modelling is software that runs on a computer or a dsp chip in your multifx. there is no such thing as analog modelling. if its not digital you cant call it modelling. by your definition of "modelling", the sansamp PSA is no different than the pedals i suggested. so I really dont see how you can put that one above the other pedals. BTW I was asking about $200 - 300 pedals that sound like older marshalls. the sansamp is a $900 analog multi fx rack unit that is not exactly a marshall in a box.

Amp modelling can be either digital, like Line 6 and Axe FX are known for, or analog like how the Peavey Vypyr (not it's FX, it's models) or Tech 21 SansAmp pedals work. Clearly something that models an older Marshall is what you're looking for.

Anyways, Tech 21 makes pedals like the GT-2 and Classic and many more, in addition to the PSA rack unit. They're more in (or even under) your budget range and comparable to the pedals you're already looking.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/...edal?sku=151136

Something like that might be of interest.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
STABxYOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:47 AM   #6
TheQuailman
Dan says I like poop

Try a Keeler Designs Shove - gets me close enough.

Quote:
,__(^<
\___)

TheQuailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:25 AM   #7
AngryGoldfish
do I "urk" you?

Both pedals sound great from the sound clips. Though I'd probably choose the Wampler over the Catalinbread for it's EQ section.

Sorry I can't be much more helpful. I mean, both pedals are highly regarded, ranging from tone "snobz" to tone "n00bz" and from all over the world. Both companies respect the customers wishes as best they can as well, which is something I personally always try and look for.
AngryGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:55 PM   #8
Sguit

Suprised nobody asked what you're using.
So, I'll ask it:
TS, what's your amp
Sguit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 02:42 PM   #9
forsaknazrael
..kupo?

^Great question.

The Box of Rock sucks because it's just a bunch of SHOs in a box. Nothing Marshally about that.

I like the DLS, I'd go with that.
Also, you can add the HAO Rust Driver and the Lovepedal Purple Plexi to your list.
forsaknazrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 02:44 PM   #10
iampeter

if you are able to spend the time to research, check out this thread

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1269403

has reviews and info on marshal sounding pedals.
LTD MH1000
Crate Flexwave 120 2x12
Boss GT10
iampeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:40 PM   #11
fullsailstudent
guitar eater

as for my amp, sold my mesa lonestar to fund the purchase of an orange rocker 30 head. cab is most likely gonna be a orange closed back 2x12 with one of the V30 swapped for a G12t75. I know the orange is basically a marshall but right now I use other peoples amps. I work in a guitar store and I need to be able to practice no matter what cheesy amp I plug into. thats why I want the pedal.

oh and not trying to start a fight on the modelling thing, but I have to draw the line somewhere. the box of rock for example is a distortion pedal. I'm not gonna sell it to someone like "this pedal has state of the art amp modelling and advanced speaker emulation technology". its a distortion pedal. line 6 is amp modelling. amplitube is amp modelling. its a software algorithm that emulates the behavior of analog cirtuits and the physics of how air moves through a cab.

thankyou all for the pedal suggestions. now I just have to pick one from the list.

wampler plextortion
catalinbread DLS
keeler shove
HAO Rust Driver
Lovepedal Purple Plexi

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampeter
if you are able to spend the time to research, check out this thread

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1269403

has reviews and info on marshal sounding pedals.

huge list of pedals. this should keep me busy for a while.
Quote:
Old 04-17-2010, 05:14 AM   #12
ILiKePiNeAppLeS
You're so cool Zoro!

If you're only using at work through crap amps then what's the point of getting a boutique pedal?
I would just get like the Danelectro Cool Cat Drive which is a great pedal in it's own right

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
ILiKePiNeAppLeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 05:53 AM   #13
rhcp_freak
UG Spammer

Wampler Pinnacle 2 nails that hot-rodded Plexi tone.

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
rhcp_freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 06:30 AM   #14
AcousticMirror
loves cheesecake

Quote:
as for my amp, sold my mesa lonestar to fund the purchase of an orange rocker 30 head. cab is most likely gonna be a orange closed back 2x12 with one of the V30 swapped for a G12t75. I know the orange is basically a marshall but right now I use other peoples amps. I work in a guitar store and I need to be able to practice no matter what cheesy amp I plug into. thats why I want the pedal.

oh and not trying to start a fight on the modelling thing, but I have to draw the line somewhere. the box of rock for example is a distortion pedal. I'm not gonna sell it to someone like "this pedal has state of the art amp modelling and advanced speaker emulation technology". its a distortion pedal. line 6 is amp modelling. amplitube is amp modelling. its a software algorithm that emulates the behavior of analog cirtuits and the physics of how air moves through a cab.

thankyou all for the pedal suggestions. now I just have to pick one from the list.

wampler plextortion
catalinbread DLS
keeler shove
HAO Rust Driver
Lovepedal Purple Plexi

huge list of pedals. this should keep me busy for a while.

haha you played through a Bose. fail.
umm so how would you sell a plexi sounding pedal? Is it like pictionary?

Well this pedal sounds like a marshal kinda. Oh ya which Marshall? Well its _____ after a plexi. See what I did there. Ya you draw a line where everyone else draws a line...at the definition of the word. Modeling = modeled after something. You think those guys put some electronics in a blender and it just happened to sound like a plexi? Digital modeling - dsp based emulation. Analog modeling = circuit based modeling. Easy right?

Also the Orange sounds nothing like a Marshall. It's not a plexi. It doesn't sound anything like a plexi. It's British voiced but so is a Vox Ac30.

You need to practice with whatever amp? How about this clean channel. Or unplugged.

Go for the love pedal. It's supposed to be the closest to a plexi and has gotten great reviews all over the place. If I had one I'd be pretty happy with it.

Unfortunately, you won't be no matter which pedal you get. Much like half of my ex girlfriends you have no idea what you're talking about and what you actually want.

Do you work for a national chain?
Old 06-17-2010, 11:17 AM   #15
fullsailstudent
guitar eater

I never said the rocker 30 is a marshall. I know its a ac30. also, seems like you finally understand that "modeled after" is a totally different thing than "amp modeling". I can see your posturing. its a waste of time. just cause I have a job there you wanna make me look like an idiot. its obvious you know nothing cause you just bashed a $3000 PA system that is one of the most clean and transparent on the market for club sized gigs. thats how you test a pedal. you dont test pedals by plugging them into the line 6 mommy and daddy bought you.
Quote:
Old 06-17-2010, 11:32 AM   #16
northernboy1987

The Rocker 30 isn't an AC30 just the same as it isn't a plexi. acoustic mirror was meaning that they are 3 differently voiced "british" amps and just because they are "british" does not make them exactly the same. Or at least that's how i read it sorry if i got the wrong end of the stick?
Amps
Dr Z Remedy
Orange Dual Terror
Epiphone VJ
Orange 1X12 Cab
Pedals
Loads!!
northernboy1987 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: