Old 05-31-2010, 02:46 AM   #62
mdwallin

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigenharutyunya
ok here it is www.last.fm/music/vendetta+v/

thanx for caring im now really feeling bad aand it's at least cheering me up

hey thats really cool.. well the first 30 secs :P

howd you record it?
Clip of my newest project involving dancers, lighting, costume design, projection mapping, and sound
http://youtu.be/9AoNlWLaOHU
mdwallin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:50 AM   #63
Zep_shizzle
It's All In The Finger's

im actually supposed to be writing a 4 part piece in the style of bach haha. unfortunately no piano nearby
Old 05-31-2010, 07:54 AM   #64
jazz_rock_feel
Micropolyphoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwallin
Did you have to submit a folio? And if so, did you have the written scores and recordings or just scores or what?

Yeah, I had to submit some scores (usually the number is between 3-6) and recordings weren't 100% necessary, but the University liked to have them so I just put in the MIDI from Finale which the guy said was fine. I submitted a couple of movements of a string trio, a solo bass piece and then the magnum opus of my incredibly strange fusion days; an 18 minute saga of drums and bass (note: not drum 'n bass ).

Are you thinking of going to University as a comp major?

Soundcloud. Look at it. Or don't.
jazz_rock_feel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:05 AM   #65
mdwallin

Yeah, I am

But another uni has taken over the uni I wanted to go to and the courses are being changed and arrrghh frustrating.

I think I will get into a good comp course, though. I've got some stuff that I had to write for school performances. :P I'm glad midi is ok, though I might get some better VSTs.
Clip of my newest project involving dancers, lighting, costume design, projection mapping, and sound
Old 05-31-2010, 12:10 PM   #66
DiminishedFifth
Absolute Imperfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zep_shizzle
im actually supposed to be writing a 4 part piece in the style of bach haha. unfortunately no piano nearby

just remember your rules and go ;]

Quote:
Originally Posted by juckfush
^ Your avatar has never been so uncomfortably suitable for your post content.

DiminishedFifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 03:43 PM   #67
Vendetta V
The Creep

Quote:
hey thats really cool.. well the first 30 secs :P

howd you record it?
erm i think it's available to full preview! for free so check it out man

thanx anyways

oh and yeah i used garritan interactive!! ive got full finale 2010 and garritan instruments!!

Quote:

hey man ican write for your... i do orders actually so if you are interested. may cost a bit however

Quote:
Yeah, I am

But another uni has taken over the uni I wanted to go to and the courses are being changed and arrrghh frustrating.

I think I will get into a good comp course, though. I've got some stuff that I had to write for school performances. :P I'm glad midi is ok, though I might get some better VSTs.
like i said ive got some nice VSTi so if you want i can convert your midi into mp3 with a realyl hi quality!! may cost a bit (btu really really cheap )

anybody else whants to check out my classical score?? www.last.fm/music/vendetta+v/

oh and sorry takling about orders and wahtnot but that's the only way of earning for me currently!!

I'm The Creep!

I'm a mixing engineer, hit me up

Please support my music and purchase my NEW ALBUM
My WEBSITE

My YOUTUBE REVIEWS

And Call Me V
Vendetta V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:21 AM   #68
mdwallin

mm, thanks. But, I'm 17.

I ain't paying people to do something I could do :P
Old 06-01-2010, 06:26 AM   #69
Kämpfer

Would I be able to share my orchestral compositions here? If so, the links are in my signature.

Thanks.
Kämpfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:36 AM   #70
mdwallin

Maybe in order to keep with the thread title we should talk about what techniques we are aiming to use or how we convey certain ideas or whatever.

Just to spark more discussion of actual classical music and the theory and concepts behind.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:54 AM   #71
Kämpfer

Well okay, I don't know much about theory but I'll try to stay on track.

I don't listen to much classical music, I really enjoy Game soundtracks and movie soundtracks like the works of Howard Shore and Jeremy Soule, does anyone have any suggestions for similar composers?

When I write, I usually start with a harp or an English horn + Clarinet playing what should become the main theme of the song. (sorry I don't know too much about the terms)

Some time I might try to work with a trumpet or something.

I usually have a Violin I, Violin II, Viola, Cello, Pan Flute and sometimes I throw in an orchestral harp to add to ambiance or whatever. I like to write really reverb-y, slow stuff. I try to stay very melodic sounding. I haven't really gone through any other styles.

I took an online sample coarse of Berklee music school's Orchestration 101 I think it was called. I learned a bit there. One day I'll actually take a proper course.
Kämpfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:45 AM   #72
whalepudding
UG Lovely Member

Rachmaninov > all IMO. I've been obsessing over the first of his Symphonic Dances for a while. And I just ripped off the first few notes of his prelude in C# Minor for the climax of one of my songs, you know someone's a bloody good composer if the intro of one of their pieces can be used as the climax of another.

And I write proggitty prog metal, but I'm trying to incorporate more classical concepts and theory into it.

Last edited by whalepudding : 06-01-2010 at 07:49 AM.
whalepudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:29 PM   #73
Vendetta V
The Creep

ok so now about my writing i think!!

my ultimate orchestra staves go like this (i then add or remove some instruments. but this is my base orchestra)

2 flutes
2 oboes (or oboe+English horn)
2 clarinets in Bb
basson
contrabasson (well i guess it doesnt get into the base orchestra)

2 french horns (minimum)
2 trumpets
trombone
tuba

I, II violins
viola
cello
contrabass

pretty much that however in most of my writings i use Timpani! also Harpsichord is often used! i like the bach-like sound

in my last piece i have uploaded the demo of i used same instruments as i mentioned minus the contrabasson plus harpsichord for the first part plus added timpani, triangolo/cymbals, 2 harps for the second part and minus harpsichord!

I often find that i am harmonizing strings as first, third/fifth. (in octaves)
i also like to have french horns to hold chords while others play around. i often have both clarinets or both oboes playing same in unison

my composer friends (who are pretty much professionals and are around 50-60 years old) say ive got some unique style a mixture of baroque, modern and something else. i dont know...

oh and i usulaly liek to write the main theme on a non-transposable (sorry im translating from russian) instrument even if it is for one. so i write it down then only transpose it!

yeah i think everybody could/should share their compositions

I'm The Creep!

My WEBSITE

My YOUTUBE REVIEWS

And Call Me V
Old 06-01-2010, 02:41 PM   #74
DiminishedFifth
Absolute Imperfection

vigenharutyunya: Listening to your Sonata in C-dur right now... your use of the Harpsichord, strings and pizzicato is VERY reminiscent to Motoi Sakuraba's town theme's in games like Tales of Symphonia/the Abyss. Especially your Pizzicato work.

My usual scores consist of:

Violin I, II
Viola
Cello
Double Bass

Flute
Clarinet in Bb
Bassoon
And some other woodwind (Piccolo or another "mid range" woodwind usually)

Horn in F
Tuba
Trombone

Full SATB Choir

Harpsichord/Harp/Piano/Organ (or a combination of the four)

Electric Bass

My horn section is a little lacking because I don't really know how to use them effectively, but I'm trying to figure out a good horn section. Any ideas?

When I write I usually start with a melody or a rhythmic ostinato. I'll finish writing the melody and usually by that time I've got the basic outline of a progression in my head and what a finished product will/should sound close to... if not the entire song, the entire section I'm working on.

I like to move the melody around the different instruments (maybe I'll start in Organ and then go to the French Horn and then the Organ again but this time harmonized with the flute or something like that) and then maybe eventually bring it home to end it. Rhythmic Transposition is my favorite thing to do with melodies though. In one of my songs I have the melody in alternating 5/8 and 6/8 but right before the song ends I make it fit into 3 measures of 4/4 and a measure of 3/8. Changing the underlying progression also finds its way into my songs as well.

If I repeat a part I usually change the instrumentation. Maybe the first go round I'll have the strings doing a Pizzicato part and then after the first time playing it they'll play it normally (what's the word for when they're played with the bow? I can't remember). Small things make all the difference when parts are repeated!

Quote:

Last edited by DiminishedFifth : 06-01-2010 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:16 PM   #75
Vendetta V
The Creep

hmm sorry i cant really read your whole post (im in hurry) so i'll do it later

thanx for listening.. however that is kinda old score may be you'd levo my new symphony (which is in progress of writing) however check out my last.fm link in my sig and find it there. i think you'll like it

I'm The Creep!

My WEBSITE

My YOUTUBE REVIEWS

And Call Me V
Old 06-01-2010, 06:11 PM   #76
griffRG7321
Forever Bulking

DiminishedFifth that electric bass seems a little out of place to the rest of the instruments, although i haven't heard anything you've wrote with it yet so i cant really comment.

Barbeesha Latoya Jackson: "Awh hell naw mutha fuka, u wanna learn da art of composition all up in here?
griffRG7321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:02 PM   #77
DiminishedFifth
Absolute Imperfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffRG7321
DiminishedFifth that electric bass seems a little out of place to the rest of the instruments, although i haven't heard anything you've wrote with it yet so i cant really comment.

Haha I use it when I want something with a little more drive. If you've heard "Confusion Amongst Themselves" - and I'm pretty sure you have - then you've heard me write something that has it in it ;] If you haven't heard it, think along the lines of Motoi Sakuraba's (he's a bigggg influence of mine haha) writing. He likes to use that electric bass and that's pretty much where I got it from xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigenharutyunya
hmm sorry i cant really read your whole post (im in hurry) so i'll do it later

thanx for listening.. however that is kinda old score may be you'd levo my new symphony (which is in progress of writing) however check out my last.fm link in my sig and find it there. i think you'll like it

I'll check it out later :]

Quote:

Old 06-02-2010, 12:38 AM   #78
Zep_shizzle
It's All In The Finger's

so many options........
Old 06-02-2010, 01:11 AM   #79
GuitarGuitar
Segovia Impersonator

@symba05
I find the most difficult thing to play on guitar is tremelo. Otherwise most of my energy goes into produces a loud and full sound. The theory I've done so far isn't too hard but aural dictation is pretty intense.

Last edited by GuitarGuitar : 06-02-2010 at 01:13 AM.
GuitarGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:19 AM   #80
DiminishedFifth
Absolute Imperfection

Am I the only one here that listens to unknown composers? I know I can't be...

Quote:

Rate This Thread: