Password
Search:

Old 06-02-2010, 12:46 PM   #81
Vendetta V
The Creep

Ok I came back and now ihave to time to comment on everyone's posts

So Diminishedfifth first:

Hmm your staves sound pretty much interesting and both normal at the same time

However hmm you have only one horn? And no trumpet?? I think that's why as you say your horn… btw the proper name is Brass Section … that's why your brass section is lacking… they say it's the hardest section to write for! However my two cents here would be adding another horn at least and 2 trumpets (I, II). This way you can have chords held down by the two horns and a trumpet and have another trumpet harmonized with something else plus trumpet and tuba could do bass both or you could stick trombone with the trumpet

The other thing I'd ask aint full Choir a bit well overkill??
I mean for each score having a full orchestra and choir all the time…

Hmm I also assume you have two of each Flute and clarinets?? Cause you don’t have an oboe thus you wouldn’t' be able to hold down some full sounding chords with woodwinds only??

Sounds like you know what you are doing but have you ever taken courses?? Cause your orchestral staves look pretty unusual. Oh and the normal Strings' technique is Arco

Anyways yeah I also try not to repeat myself and if I do I change the instrumentation… I like having a part played again by woodwinds only. With lower dynamics and I don’t know.. Sounds cool!

Two GuitarGuitar: errm by tremolo do you mean vibrato?? As in guitar it's referred to the volume going up and down… in classical music that depends… in strings they call the bowing technique which is a really fast combination of up and down motions
Hope that makes sence!

I'm The Creep!

I'm a mixing engineer, hit me up

Please support my music and purchase my NEW ALBUM
My WEBSITE

My YOUTUBE REVIEWS

And Call Me V
Vendetta V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:54 PM   #82
coffeeguy9
Music is my Aeroplane

So, I think anyone who likes music should check out Danzon No 2, by Arturo Marquez... It's a hugeee orchestra playing some epic latin beats in the style of early 20th century orchestral.

kicks out the jam around 2:30

It's not necessarily classical, but it is orchestral to every degree possible.
coffeeguy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:24 AM   #83
shmikeyboy
awesomesauce

Overlooking that it's from Twilight, Bella's Lullaby is good. Anyone know any similar stuff (other than Debussy) ?

Look at the stars
And dream that the universe was ours
My crazy angel
shmikeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:15 PM   #84
griffRG7321
Forever Bulking

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmikeyboy
Overlooking that it's from Twilight, Bella's Lullaby is good. Anyone know any similar stuff (other than Debussy) ?

This is alright, i haven't seen the film nor do i plan to but i came across the it other day when searching for piano ballads.

Barbeesha Latoya Jackson: "Awh hell naw mutha fuka, u wanna learn da art of composition all up in here?
griffRG7321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 01:43 PM   #85
DiminishedFifth
Absolute Imperfection

vigenharutyunya: I've taken classes... but not on orchestration. Just plain Music Theory. I know how to write for 4 voices pretty well, and extending that to Strings was easy (probably cause there's not 500 different stringed instruments to choose). Woodwinds... I usually always have a mid-range woodwind in there somewhere. I like to make chords with them cause I like the way they sound.

My Brass Section is lacking cause I don't know what I'm going to do with each instrument. I'll try out your idea for a good brass section. I'll just have to figure everything else out from there xD

I really like my full choir haha. But I only use it when needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmikeyboy

Bella's Lullaby is Clair de Lune by Debussy... making sure you know.

But I recommend: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGRO...feature=related

Quote:
Originally Posted by juckfush
^ Your avatar has never been so uncomfortably suitable for your post content.

Last edited by DiminishedFifth : 06-03-2010 at 01:48 PM.
DiminishedFifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 07:23 AM   #86
shmikeyboy
awesomesauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiminishedFifth

Bella's Lullaby is Clair de Lune by Debussy... making sure you know.

But I recommend: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGRO...feature=related

how did I miss that?
But apparently, they're slightly different

ooh, chopin, thanks

Look at the stars
And dream that the universe was ours
My crazy angel

Last edited by shmikeyboy : 06-04-2010 at 07:33 AM.
shmikeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:25 PM   #87
griffRG7321
Forever Bulking

If you like chopin you might want to check out Liszt and Brahms too.

Pure Magic

Barbeesha Latoya Jackson: "Awh hell naw mutha fuka, u wanna learn da art of composition all up in here?
Old 06-07-2010, 11:20 PM   #88
jazz_rock_feel
Micropolyphoner

Just curious here, why does it seem that guitar players and metalheads (not saying all guitar players are metalheads) gravitate towards the virtuoso piano players of the romantic period so much, i.e. Chopin, Liszt and Brahms, over other classical music.

And I'm not saying all guitar players or even metalheads are like that, but just that a lot of them, who don't normally listen to classical music, will usually listen to Chopin or Brahms or Liszt etc.

Thoughts?

Soundcloud. Look at it. Or don't.
jazz_rock_feel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:29 PM   #89
DiminishedFifth
Absolute Imperfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz_rock_feel
Just curious here, why does it seem that guitar players and metalheads (not saying all guitar players are metalheads) gravitate towards the virtuoso piano players of the romantic period so much, i.e. Chopin, Liszt and Brahms, over other classical music.

And I'm not saying all guitar players or even metalheads are like that, but just that a lot of them, who don't normally listen to classical music, will usually listen to Chopin or Brahms or Liszt etc.

Thoughts?

I love the harmonies and progressions. The way they can wrap the melody around an ever-changing harmony is amazing. I love the experimentation that was done. The fast segments in their songs catch my attention.

But it's the harmonies and progressions that grab my attention.

Having said that, I appreciate me some Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, and some other composers whose names I can't remember right now xD

Quote:

Old 06-08-2010, 12:17 AM   #90
rockingamer2
Larmarky Remark

What do you guys think of this piece:

I'll admit it. I'm a Metal Gear Solid fan boy. When I first heard the theme like this I was blown away. I felt so sad. Knowing the story of the game really made it something more than amazing. The somberness of the intro, then the jolt to the action. The "heroicness" factor comes in (when the choir comes in at 2:41). Then the sudden change in emotion. It gets almost heartbreaking, but knowing the game's story,then it really is.

Musically, as well as the theme itself, I like the cadence at 0:37 (deceptive cadence?). Maybe the piece can give Diminished Fifth some ideas on using brass?

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity."

MUSIC THEORY LINK

SteamID: CarrionComfort
rockingamer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:30 AM   #91
mdwallin

You know who is a great Australian composer?

Richard Charlton.
Clip of my newest project involving dancers, lighting, costume design, projection mapping, and sound
http://youtu.be/9AoNlWLaOHU
mdwallin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:03 PM   #92
griffRG7321
Forever Bulking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz_rock_feel

Thoughts?

I personally find it the most expressive and interesting. Although the composer who does some of the most virtuoso piano pieces is Alkan and i can't stand most of his work.

Some of liszts works im not keen on but in general i love liszt and chopin.

I also like Bach, Corelli, Vivaldi, scarlatti, Beethoven, Haydn, Mozart, Mendelssohn, Wagner, Saint saens, Rachaminoff, Schubert, Elgar,Debussy, Barber,Ravel, Prokofiev.. the list goes on.

Last edited by griffRG7321 : 06-08-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:22 PM   #93
Eggmond
Otherwise Known as Eggy

anybody here a fan of sorabji?

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Eggmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:15 PM   #94
Vendetta V
The Creep

^ havent heard of him! i like the oprea nutcracker!

I'm The Creep!

I'm a mixing engineer, hit me up

Please support my music and purchase my NEW ALBUM
My WEBSITE

My YOUTUBE REVIEWS

And Call Me V
Vendetta V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:02 PM   #95
notoriousnumber
UG Fightmaster

Location: Im the traveller of time and space, so I havent had time to really settle down yet
Ravel's toccata. This will destroy you:

Little children should be felt, not heard.
notoriousnumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:13 PM   #96
griffRG7321
Forever Bulking

Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriousnumber
Ravel's toccata. This will destroy you:

Yeah it's a good piece that one, i like the Gaspard de la nuit suite (espeically scarbo and ondine) and alborada del gracioso and that ocean one from Miroirs.

Edit:although why has this thread on orchestral music gone to solo piano pieces?

Last edited by griffRG7321 : 06-09-2010 at 06:16 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:40 AM   #97
DiminishedFifth
Absolute Imperfection

I have a new love for Victor Borge

He's hilarious, and a GREAT pianist/arranger/whateverthehellhedoesthat'sawesome

Part 1
Part 2

Really... watch both parts.

And this!

Quote:

Last edited by DiminishedFifth : 06-10-2010 at 12:45 AM.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:33 PM   #98
notoriousnumber
UG Fightmaster

Location: Im the traveller of time and space, so I havent had time to really settle down yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffRG7321
although why has this thread on orchestral music gone to solo piano pieces?

Ahh, well he did lots of orchestrated works as well; some of them sound better on piano, especially the piece 'une barque sur l'ocean' which you mention.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
notoriousnumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:44 PM   #99
mdwallin

its not just on orchestral. I thought this was a 'classical thread'
Clip of my newest project involving dancers, lighting, costume design, projection mapping, and sound
http://youtu.be/9AoNlWLaOHU
mdwallin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:59 AM   #100
Drummerrrrr?
Howdy, howdy, howdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockingamer2
What do you guys think of this piece:

I'll admit it. I'm a Metal Gear Solid fan boy. When I first heard the theme like this I was blown away. I felt so sad. Knowing the story of the game really made it something more than amazing. The somberness of the intro, then the jolt to the action. The "heroicness" factor comes in (when the choir comes in at 2:41). Then the sudden change in emotion. It gets almost heartbreaking, but knowing the game's story,then it really is.

Musically, as well as the theme itself, I like the cadence at 0:37 (deceptive cadence?). Maybe the piece can give Diminished Fifth some ideas on using brass?

That was amazing, the music adds so much to the emotion of the game. Definitely my favourite video game series of all time.

I'm slowly starting to branch out into a bit of orchestral composing, currently messing around with strings. I love how well they can work with a tradition guitar/bass/drums setup though that's starting to get away from the classical/orchestral aspect.

Also, anyone know of any good, free string software instruments for GarageBand/Logic?

www.lachlancresswell.com
Drummerrrrr? is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: