Search:

Old 04-27-2010, 09:29 PM   #1
\Powerslave/
Steel Winged Warrior

Charger and Virtue - Unknown Legends of the NWOBHM - Pt. I

The Virutoso wanted me to kick his ass.

with metal.

Wish granted.

It goes without saying that the NWOBHM was the most monumental movement in metal. It shaped the very essence of metal. A select few "Tier 1" bands rose from the movement. These are the bands everyone knows, loves, and associates with metal. Bands like Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Motorhead, Venom, etc. Below these, there were the "Tier 2" bands. These are the bands that gained a decent following and a hardcore fan base, but never quite made it like the previously mentioned ones. Raven is a perfect example of such. Then below those bands were the legions of "Tier 3" bands. Bands that may have only released a single album or two, perhaps an EP, or even just a demo. Bands long forgotten and long lost in the storm of the NWOBHM. This is where the best diamonds can be found. I hope to share my favorites over the next few weeks.

Now I don't really like lumping two bands together, but I feel it's best in this case. Both share characteristics that would make it favorable to put them together.

High speed, energetic, fun, balls out, pure heavy metal! The way it was meant to be!

Charger only released one single, Desperadoes/Are You Out There. It went shamefully unnoticed. The timing of the release couldn't have been worse. It was released in 1987, when the wave was dying down and on a label that pretty much screwed them over. Such a shame, because I consider their single to be some of the best the NWOBHM has to offer.

Virtue similarly only managed two demos. Under produced and gritty, but pure heavy metal in spirit. Not quite as good as Charger, but still amazing. Soaring vocals and epic solos. The riffing and vocal style remind me quite a bit of Satan. Fans of "Court in the Act" should really enjoy their demo "We Stand To Fight".

Since you ****ers are lazy and these upload may be hard to find, I uploaded this shiz for ya.

Charger - Desperadoes single

Virtue - We Stand to Fight demo AND the 1987 Fool's Gold demo

and as if download links weren't enough...youtube links just to give you a taste:

Charger - Desperadoes

Virtue - We Stand to Fight
\Powerslave/ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:34 PM   #2
romencer17
UG God

checking out the Charger song, sounds pretty friggin' awesome.

Sumdeus
romencer17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:48 PM   #3
severed-metal
Kvlt of Fukk

Charger sounds better than I could have ever imagined. From the first, AWW YEAH to the furious ending...Such a haze of metal in one of its finest forms. Also, Desperadoes is probably my favourite of the two songs. It felt like it lasted for an eternity, I could listen to it all day. SUCH POWER IN HIS VOICE. DESPERADOES...DESPERADOES...AFTER ME

Virtue..Well, what the hell...That intro was ****ing awesome. Although it took a little time to load, it was well worth the wait. Well the guitars doubled up, mind = blown...The riffs themselves were everything I hoped for. Just solid, not technical, just solid riffs. My favourite part was the vocals. Was hoping he would've gone a bit higher, instead of singing where he was comfortable. A little more power would've made this song much more powerful.

Is there going to be a part II, mon ami?

Also, quick little thing, Virtuoso's name is spelled wrong. No big deal, just a quick edit so he doesn't get all wild and outrageous.

Hey, you know what...You're actually onto something with this whole Part I, Part II, etc..stuff. We could do this with other people wanting to get underground bands known around here. Nice.
Shall dry and die in
Lost Carcosa.

Your only chance to evacuate, is to leave with us
severed-metal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:56 PM   #4
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...

If I master the Möbius continuum before passing, I will take my current savings back to 1987 and personally fund new material from Charger.

And probably visit myself.
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural
It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
VampireGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:00 PM   #5
wannabe_punk
has a bucket

that Virtue song rocks balls
even if the lead guitar playing was a little sloppy at times
sometimes i'm even on UG or AIM.
laptops + wireless = The Pit on the toilet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RinestoneCowboy
Cannibal Corpse transcend genres and stereotypes with their emotional and heartfelt take on music.
wannabe_punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:18 PM   #6
\Powerslave/
Steel Winged Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by severed-metal
Charger sounds better than I could have ever imagined. From the first, AWW YEAH to the furious ending...Such a haze of metal in one of its finest forms. Also, Desperadoes is probably my favourite of the two songs. It felt like it lasted for an eternity, I could listen to it all day. SUCH POWER IN HIS VOICE. DESPERADOES...DESPERADOES...AFTER ME

Virtue..Well, what the hell...That intro was ****ing awesome. Although it took a little time to load, it was well worth the wait. Well the guitars doubled up, mind = blown...The riffs themselves were everything I hoped for. Just solid, not technical, just solid riffs. My favourite part was the vocals. Was hoping he would've gone a bit higher, instead of singing where he was comfortable. A little more power would've made this song much more powerful.

Also, quick little thing, Virtuoso's name is spelled wrong. No big deal, just a quick edit so he doesn't get all wild and outrageous.

Hey, you know what...You're actually onto something with this whole Part I, Part II, etc..stuff. We could do this with other people wanting to get underground bands known around here. Nice.

Of course. I've been itching to post threads for many bands, but I tend to just not to anymore. People always complain I post too many threads...either that or they die away with 5 posts which isn't so cool.

and I don't care. I spell Linfield's name wrong all the time. They can just deal with it or suck it .

Also just to clarify things, if VG endorses it, then you must know this shit's cash.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:23 PM   #7
Dylar
Dr. Communazi, Ph.D

1. Neither Judas Priest nor Motorhead were NWOBHM bands (Priest of course long pre-dated the movement and Motorhead isn't a metal band).

2. "Unknown legend" is an oxymoron right up there with "jumbo shrimp" and "Christian metal."

3. Charger might have been onto something if they'd been around in the early days of the NWOBHM movement. As it stands, they were about 5 years behind the curve of events, and not all that great to boot.

4. Virtue is "unknown" because they were just like all the other crap Iron Maiden wannabes. Totally boring band.
Dylar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:26 PM   #8
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...

Yes we know Dylar
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural
It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
VampireGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:28 PM   #9
illuminatiano
CHAOS REIGNS

really don't care if they don't fit in this thread.

heyy !

sor !

ti !

leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeege !

Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
illuminatiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:42 PM   #10
Penisaur
Praise the name of Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylar
1. Neither Judas Priest nor Motorhead were NWOBHM bands (Priest of course long pre-dated the movement and Motorhead isn't a metal band).

2. "Unknown legend" is an oxymoron right up there with "jumbo shrimp" and "Christian metal."

3. Charger might have been onto something if they'd been around in the early days of the NWOBHM movement. As it stands, they were about 5 years behind the curve of events, and not all that great to boot.

4. Virtue is "unknown" because they were just like all the other crap Iron Maiden wannabes. Totally boring band.

Something tells me you would be an absolute riot to meet in person.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:16 PM   #11
\Powerslave/
Steel Winged Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylar

1. I very well know Judas Priest pre-dated the movement by a good 6 years. The fact still remains that they are often associated with it and are often cited as a major influence to the movement. That's why I named them. I, like many others, would consider Motorhead metal.

2. I feel like the phrase makes sense, although it appears to be an oxymoron at first. The two bands in question are unknown in regards to the metal community as a whole, however they remain to be legends within certain metal circles.

3. I addressed the fact that Charger came too late. I respect your opinion and what not, but honestly, Charger are one of the very best bands of the NWOBHM. Seriously, I find it very difficult to find many bands that can top them.

4. Virtue aren't "Maiden wannabes". They're quite exciting. Sloppy at times (it is a demo afterall), but very fun in my opinion.

5. @illuminatiano Sortilege are french. I ****ING LOVE SORTILEGE. But honestly they have absolutely nothing at all to do with this thread. Pretty much a useless plug/spam.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:19 PM   #12
Stranglehold

That cover for that yellow Virtue album is great.....although Ive never actually heard them I dont think

Will get round to it after my Anathema binging.

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Stranglehold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 05:21 PM   #13
Kepulix
The Witchfinder

Whenever I listen to NWOBHM, Virtue usually get a spin or two

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Kepulix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 05:51 PM   #14
SeveredSurvival
Straight Edge

There was a review on a Charger album in Terrorizer. Might have to check that out.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:50 PM   #15
illuminatiano
CHAOS REIGNS

Quote:
Originally Posted by \Powerslave/

5. @illuminatiano Sortilege are french. I ****ING LOVE SORTILEGE. But honestly they have absolutely nothing at all to do with this thread. Pretty much a useless plug/spam.

it's cool bro
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
illuminatiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:38 PM   #16
Cambyses
Insulter of BICH CHRIST

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeveredSurvival
There was a review on a Charger album in Terrorizer. Might have to check that out.

There are two Chargers, that was the sludge band
Old 05-03-2010, 10:47 AM   #17
The Virtuoso
L'Étranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by severed-metal

Damn right motherfuker!
Will check this out properly soon, I have three finals papers due this week so f-my-life right now, but I promise I will check this out my friend, and I am glad you took my request!
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
The Virtuoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:57 PM   #18
The Virtuoso
L'Étranger

Just a bump to comment on the two songs you posted, haven't downloaded the albums, but I'll do it tonight, anyways, dude, those songs kick ass! It's a shame they both have such little material. As Severed said, those opening harmony riffs from virtue were totally badass, sorry have to go though, Desperadoes are after me! *Victory fist*
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
The Virtuoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:34 PM   #19
HelloHalo
RIP Dio.

Dammit Powerslave, every time you post a thread, I find my music folder a bit bigger.

This is great stuff though, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by \Powerslave/
HelloHalo, I love you.

WHO SEND ALL THESE BABIES TO FIGHT?
HelloHalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:11 AM   #20
Minkaro
UG Monkey

I like both of those youtube links, so now to Megaupload!

Although I feel like mentioning I prefer Charger on a vocal level.

I've been known to wear a fine black suit and a murder of a tie
I've got miles on my shoes that your brothers can't buy

Twitter
Minkaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: