Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-17-2010, 12:00 AM   #21
metalwarrior40
UG Resident

Make sure you sand down the edges on those things before gluing, to get a real nice joint.

Looking good, glad to see you found a good way to rip them.(laminates)
Originally Posted by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
metalwarrior40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:08 AM   #22
salsawords
UG's turtle enthusiast

Thanks for the help man.
___ \/ ___
salsawords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:13 AM   #23
metalwarrior40
UG Resident

Oh, just a idea about your TOM situation. You can recess it like you said, easy.
There's at least one more choice that you could think about if you want.

Glue the neck at a angle, and blend the body and neck together. 4* might be too much to do this, but worth looking at.

I have another idea on how to do this, but i still haven't worked it out yet.

Quote:
Old 05-17-2010, 12:28 AM   #24
salsawords
UG's turtle enthusiast

I think gluing it with an angle would be pretty difficult and then a lot of material would have to be removed.
I was thinking that it might be possible to do a scarf joint for the neck angle. I'm not too sure how that would work though. What's your other idea?
___ \/ ___
Old 05-22-2010, 05:34 PM   #25
salsawords
UG's turtle enthusiast

Update!
The neck is glued up. We used a fancy system of cauls just to distribute the pressure most evenly. Those big weird clamps are pipe clamps in case anyone wanted to know.

The wenge was already thicker than the sapelle, and some of the sapelle stuck out of one side of the neck, maybe 1/16" to 1/8". Again, the body will have to be made thinner now.
Overall, things are looking good for my first build. I'm also about to take a rasp to my squier and give it another rebirth.
___ \/ ___
Old 05-22-2010, 05:40 PM   #26
Blast For Satan
Paul

Looking great so far!
Blast For Satan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 07:30 PM   #27
salsawords
UG's turtle enthusiast

Thanks man.
After reading some stuff, I think I might change to a 27.5" scale.
___ \/ ___
Old 05-23-2010, 06:55 PM   #28
salsawords
UG's turtle enthusiast

Update!
I took the neck out of the clamps. There was glue everywhere and the joints were uneven, so I wasn't sure how it would end up. I used the festool circular saw with the rail to cut things even (I want a planer so bad).
It took a few hours to get the sides even, but it is done.

No glue lines!

Started contemplating the scarf joint. I'm going to stick in three pieces: sapelle/wenge/sapelle, with the wenge being slightly thinner than the sapelle.

Moving along nicely. I can't wait to get to the hand tool parts.
___ \/ ___
Old 05-23-2010, 07:54 PM   #29
Jason Jillard
Luthier

omg so sexy
Old 05-23-2010, 08:07 PM   #30
Blast For Satan
Paul

Looking sexy!

So what made you go for a shorter scale length?
Blast For Satan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 08:21 PM   #31
salsawords
UG's turtle enthusiast

Thanks fellers!
I read some stuff on another building website by some more advanced players/builders (this is my first build and it'll also be the first extended range guitar I've played) and they thought 28" was too long for an 8 stringer. Since mine is only a baritone 6 stringer (basically the bottom 6 strings of a 7 stringer), I figured 27.5 would be closer to what I'm used to, and also enough scale length to tune to B standard or drop A.

I HATE HATE HATE playing in B standard on my 24.75 scale guitar; it has the fattest, muddiest strings ever.
___ \/ ___
Old 05-24-2010, 07:27 AM   #33
vodkanoodle

Looking gewd man!
vodkanoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 03:57 PM   #34
salsawords
UG's turtle enthusiast

Thanks guys!
Yes, wenge is the sexiest wood on earth to me right now. It is the bomb.
I'll be planing the wings down to the right thickness on wednesday (right now they're 1/4" thicker than the neck is) at school. I should get my scarf joint done this week as well. It is going to be sweeeeeeeeeeeet.
___ \/ ___
Old 05-24-2010, 04:42 PM   #35
blindsagacity
UG's Bowser Tattoo

looking really nice. Shall be a sweet build
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
blindsagacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:34 PM   #36
salsawords
UG's turtle enthusiast

Update!
Today I glued up the three pieces that are going into the scarf joint to simplify when I glue the actual scarf joint.

Me and my dad spent hours trying to figure out the best way to cut the scarf angle (14 degrees) with our limited tool supply. We ended up making a jig for the table saw out of this angle thing that came with that circular saw that's been so handy.

We made two practice scarfs, then we did the real one.

It turned out well. Tomorrow I'll see if I can get the faces jointed and then we'll get the scarf glued up. After the scarf is done, I have no idea what's next though. I guess installing the truss rod and gluing the wings on? I need to get my ebony ripped for the fretboard too. Thanks for all the positive comments guys, I really appreciate it.
___ \/ ___
Old 05-25-2010, 10:01 PM   #37
kiaba94

looking sexy man.
kiaba94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:03 PM   #38
metalwarrior40
UG Resident

Ah yes, tablesaw scarf joint jigs ftw

Quote:
Old 05-25-2010, 11:51 PM   #39
chaosdsm

Looks interesting Can't wait till I can get me some more machinery so I can start my two builds... well, one a re-build of an old BC-Rich Bich, gonna put a curved maple bookmatched top on it with a translucent finish, and one ground up build, possibly a neck-thru baritone.

Did you use regular wood glue for the neck laminate? I'd be curios to see how its holding up in 7 to 10 years if you did...

RE: buying wood online... so far, I have bought 100% of my wood online, got some insanely cheap pieces from ebay on some really great wood. I recently tallied up my purchases & after shipping charges (which in several cases was less than the local taxes would be) it works out to be about 35% cheaper than buying locally, & except for 2 pieces, of equal quality to what's available locally. What I got for that, over 150 bd ft (combined) of: Maple, Rosewood, Mahogany, Canarywood, Teak, Paduk, Lacewood, among others. Got a pair of amazing 3A/4A quilted maple oversized billets (the small one is 2.125" x 11.75" x 44.25")for $140 combined including the shipping for just over 15bd ft. I've already had an offer locally of $400 for the larger billet which is about 8.6 bd ft.

Key is knowing your woods, knowing what you want to pay(including shipping charges), & being confident in the sellers ability to accurately list what is being sold including any noteable issues with the lumber being purchased. Add a bit of patience & you can find a gem of a deal out there that others have missed like I did with those two quilted billets on which I was the only bidder & got them for the opening bid of $49.99 each, though a third piece from the same tree went for nearly $200 a week later... Unfortunately, it was the mirror to the smaller billet I had already won, & I didn't have $200+ left to bid on it

Here are the two Maple billets, along with a piece of Honduran Rosewood & my main guitar for scale... as you can see, there's enough Maple for 6 complete neck through body guitars Though more likely, I'll re-saw for bookmatched maple tops, btw, the side showing is the lower quality figure side.

Last edited by chaosdsm : 05-26-2010 at 02:41 PM.
chaosdsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 04:45 PM   #40
salsawords
UG's turtle enthusiast

Thanks guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosdsm
Looks interesting Can't wait till I can get me some more machinery so I can start my two builds... well, one a re-build of an old BC-Rich Bich, gonna put a curved maple bookmatched top on it with a translucent finish, and one ground up build, possibly a neck-thru baritone.

Sounds cool. Make threads for them. I love seeing people build.
Quote:
Did you use regular wood glue for the neck laminate? I'd be curios to see how its holding up in 7 to 10 years if you did...

Yeah I used titebond 1. I'm pretty sure it'll be fine, as titebond 1 is pretty much preferred by all luthiers (except for maybe hide glue) as the best wood glue. I'm not too worried about it creeping or anything. As long as it was glued right and it gets finished properly, it should be fine.
Quote:
RE: buying wood online... so far, I have bought 100% of my wood online, got some insanely cheap pieces from ebay on some really great wood. I recently tallied up my purchases & after shipping charges (which in several cases was less than the local taxes would be) it works out to be about 35% cheaper than buying locally, & except for 2 pieces, of equal quality to what's available locally. What I got for that, over 150 bd ft (combined) of: Maple, Rosewood, Mahogany, Canarywood, Teak, Paduk, Lacewood, among others. Got a pair of amazing 3A/4A quilted maple oversized billets (the small one is 2.125" x 11.75" x 44.25")for $140 combined including the shipping for just over 15bd ft. I've already had an offer locally of $400 for the larger billet which is about 8.6 bd ft.

Key is knowing your woods, knowing what you want to pay(including shipping charges), & being confident in the sellers ability to accurately list what is being sold including any noteable issues with the lumber being purchased. Add a bit of patience & you can find a gem of a deal out there that others have missed like I did with those two quilted billets on which I was the only bidder & got them for the opening bid of $49.99 each, though a third piece from the same tree went for nearly $200 a week later... Unfortunately, it was the mirror to the smaller billet I had already won, & I didn't have $200+ left to bid on it

Man you got a great deal on that stuff. I totally know what you're saying about being patient for the deals on ebay, but I personally don't like it because I can't see in person what I'm paying money for, and the prices fluctuate so much. I probably would have gotten limba online if I could have found a suitable piece, but unfortunately there wasn't any. If I were you I'd sell that piece of wood you got the offer for and then use that money to buy more wood!
___ \/ ___

Rate This Thread: