Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-05-2010, 04:29 PM   #1
coquet

Dating a Proco Rat

I just got a Proco Rat off eBay, and I think I've been had. The seller said it was an early 90s Rat with the LM308 chip, and although I'm not versed in this stuff, I think he was lying. Could anyone help me determine whether any of that was accurate?

Model: Vintage Reissue Rat (Big Box)
Pots: ER3977 0223 (I can't find any other number on them)
Chip: the chip says OP07DP
Sticker on Bottom: Says "Vintage Rat VR 110622 Made in U.S.A."

Is there any way to date this based on that info?

Last edited by coquet : 05-05-2010 at 04:44 PM.
coquet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:36 PM   #2
rhcp_freak
UG Spammer

If it's an OP07, it's a newer Rat reissue. =/

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
rhcp_freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:38 PM   #3
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.

Look at the serial number or around there... Mine says 'Rat2' somewhere but I can't remember where.
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:38 PM   #4
Griffin Effects

You've probably been had. Does it have a sticker on the bottom that says Vintage Rat? Might have peeled it off. Vintage Rats were made between 91 - 05 so technically it could be an early 90's Vintage Rat. If the chip says OP07 on it, it's not a LM308 in there.

You can take a look at the history of the Rat here: HISTORY

It tells you about the differences in the Rats.
Griffin Effects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:40 PM   #5
nightraven

it is the big box model he sent you right?
the vintage reissue rats did all have the elusive 308 IC (i think) but that chip inside is what they use in them right now so it looks like he's sent you the small box reissue. is there not a sticker underneath with the number on it or something near the jacks?
nightraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:41 PM   #6
coquet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin Effects
You've probably been had. Does it have a sticker on the bottom that says Vintage Rat? Might have peeled it off. Vintage Rats were made between 91 - 05 so technically it could be an early 90's Vintage Rat. If the chip says OP07 on it, it's not a LM308 in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightraven
it is the big box model he sent you right?
the vintage reissue rats did all have the elusive 308 IC (i think) but that chip inside is what they use in them right now so it looks like he's sent you the small box reissue. is there not a sticker underneath with the number on it or something near the jacks?

I've edited the original post to include this info, but it says "Vintage Reissue VR-110622 Made in U.S.A." on the sticker. It looks like a Vintage Reissue, and it's a Big Box model.

Last edited by coquet : 05-05-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:46 PM   #7
nightraven

looks like he swapped out the chips then. negative feedback that mofo. what was his ebay user ID?
nightraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:48 PM   #8
fly135
Cheap Gear Enthusiast

Old 05-05-2010, 05:12 PM   #9
Griffin Effects

I have that exact one. The Vintage Rat. Mine has a LM308 in it. It's not to say that ProCo didn't use both chips in it through the years. I know they use the OP07 in the Rat2. If you take the board out, you can probably see if it has been resoldered. Also, there should be a small value ceramic cap ~30 or 33pf between pins 1 and 8 if there was a LM308 in there at one time unless they took that out too. The LM308 isn't internally compensated so they added the cap. The OP07 doesn't need the cap because it's internally compensated. So if there isn't a spot for a cap across pins 1 and 8, the OP07 was probably in there to begin with.

I actually prefer the Rat2 over my Vintage Rat. There are a few other differences other than the chip but I like the Rat2 better. I'm building a Rat2 clone right now and I'm socketing the op-amp so I can try different ones to see what I like best so we'll see if It's the op-amp I dislike about it.

Edit: Ok. I take it back. I just had a look in mine and there looks to be a compensation cap. It's a small yellow cap right at the top of the op-amp. It's right between the op-amp and the switch in your pictures. Looks like the OP07 isn't internally compensated either. Sorry.

Last edited by Griffin Effects : 05-05-2010 at 05:18 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:41 PM   #10
coquet

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightraven
looks like he swapped out the chips then. negative feedback that mofo. what was his ebay user ID?

I've contacted the seller to see about resolving this. I won't out her if she can fix this or give me enough of a refund to let me resell it at the price it deserves. I guess I've got eBay Buyer Protection if I need it.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:00 PM   #11
coquet

I think I've figured out that this is probably a 2003 version. I'm going to post some details on why, just in case anyone else has the same problem and runs across this thread.

First, Proco didn't start using the OP07DP chip until 2003 (source).

Second, as you may have noticed in the third and fourth pictures, the pedal I received has a big blue 3PDT switch. It was gray on the 90s ones. The rest of the guts looked substantially different as well (picture).

Third, the etchings on the pots indicate they were produced in the 23rd week of 2002, which seems consistent with them not being used until a 2003 pedal production.

Thanks for the help, everyone. I guess this is why eBay has buyer protection.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:07 PM   #12
Griffin Effects

Mine has a 308 and a black X-wing DPDT switch! It uses classic Rat switching. The predecessor of the millenium bypass!

You know you can pick up a LM308 for a couple of buck right? I guess it's the principal of the thing though.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:11 PM   #13
fly135
Cheap Gear Enthusiast

File a dispute with Paypal right away before he can get his money released.

Rate This Thread: