Search:

Old 08-07-2012, 11:10 PM   #61
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphogenesis26
I love you for posting my feels.

*hums the chorus Melody of Only For The Weak*

I must listen to that song now... even if it is 4:11 am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratcher17

OH...MY..GOOOOD!!!

This album will top Edge of the Earth (and I thought EotE couldn't be topped because it's a masterpiece).

Can't wait to hear them live in December!

This album will forever reign supreme!

SYLOSIS FOR WORLD DICTATOR!!!

Calm down and listen to more music. I'd recommend In Flames, Dark Tranquillity and Slaughter of the Soul era At the Gates

There is also a wealth of stupidity to be found in calling a bands FIRST ALBUM a master piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!

Last edited by ChemicalFire : 08-07-2012 at 11:28 PM.
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:27 AM   #62
Scratcher17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalFire
Calm down and listen to more music. I'd recommend In Flames, Dark Tranquillity and Slaughter of the Soul era At the Gates

There is also a wealth of stupidity to be found in calling a bands FIRST ALBUM a master piece.

In Flames is one of my all-time favorite bands along with Sylosis, Insomnium and a few others. I am a fan of Slaughter of the Soul-era At the Gates. I gave Dark Tranquility a few listens, but it wasn't my cup of tea. Probably because I listened to the newer songs (I should check out The Gallery).

I already listen to lots of music (and not just metal). I just like this band's music.
And this is their THIRD ALBUM, by the way.

Last edited by Scratcher17 : 08-08-2012 at 01:28 AM.
Scratcher17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:48 AM   #63
Scratcher17

Quote:
It sounds ALOT like the original wave of Metalcore (you know before it became a joke and was in reality bands from out side of Scandinavia playing Scandanavian melodic death) and not really a great example either. I mean I like it enough, it's alright.

Original wave of metalcore was comprised of bands like Converge, Earth Crisis, Hatebreed. Those were the bands that actually did fuse traits of hardcore punk and metal.
Melodeath-inspired riffs started to creep into the metalcore later and nowadays metalcore is more associated with melodic death metal than with hardcore. This subject could open up a lot of discussions because I think that the term "metalcore" is misused these days.

About the Sylosis,they are influenced by At the Gates and a lot of different bands like Rush, Pink Floyd, Cult of Luna, Neurosis, but the foundation of their sound is in their thrash metal influences.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:49 AM   #64
Scratcher17

Another song from Monolith released.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:03 AM   #65
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd

Quote:
Original wave of metalcore was comprised of bands like Converge, Earth Crisis, Hatebreed. Those were the bands that actually did fuse traits of hardcore punk and metal.
Melodeath-inspired riffs started to creep into the metalcore later and nowadays metalcore is more associated with melodic death metal than with hardcore. This subject could open up a lot of discussions because I think that the term "metalcore" is misused these days.

About the Sylosis,they are influenced by At the Gates and a lot of different bands like Rush, Pink Floyd, Cult of Luna, Neurosis, but the foundation of their sound is in their thrash metal influences.

He knows that, but he used the term Metalcore because that's what most people think it is.

I don't hear those latter bands at all. Examples?

Morphogenesis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:26 AM   #66
Shredx
Inuendo King

Like the new songs, but annoyed they've kept with the more raw production from EoTE. Conclusion of an Age I feel more attatched to still.

https://benpinkusmusic.bandcamp.com/album/to-the-sky

Gear:
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Schecter C7 Blackjack
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Bugera 333XL
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Shredx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:17 AM   #67
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Quote:
In Flames is one of my all-time favorite bands along with Sylosis, Insomnium and a few others.

I am a fan of Slaughter of the Soul-era At the Gates. I gave Dark Tranquility a few listens, but it wasn't my cup of tea. Probably because I listened to the newer songs (I should check out The Gallery).

Ah, well you do have some sense then

Quote:
And this is their THIRD ALBUM, by the way.

Quote:
About the Sylosis,they are influenced by At the Gates

That's kinda disappointing, I didn't know they'd done more than one other album. You see the thing is, the sound they have is not so much inspired by At The Gates... but it pretty much IS At The Gates, I thought they'd of managed to bring their own sound into it by a third album instead of sounding like bands that are 20 years old.

Quote:
*metalcore stuff*

Yeah, as Morph said, I know this. But I assume most people don't unless I'm posting in the Hardcore forum

Quote:
bands like Rush, Pink Floyd, Cult of Luna, Neurosis, but the foundation of their sound is in their thrash metal influences.

As someone who has listened to all of those bands, I don't hear it. As for Thrash Metal... well duh, Melodic Death has roots in Thrash, that's not really an accomplishment.

But this is all just my opinion, I feel I should say this every time I get into a discussion like this, I'm not saying you have to start not liking the band or anything. I'm just putting forward why I don't understand why people love the band.

Quote:

Last edited by ChemicalFire : 08-08-2012 at 09:25 AM.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:36 AM   #68
Magero
Nothing to say, Bats?

Listened to Sylosis expecting some Meshuggah/djent style band. I think that would have been more interesting than the generic pile of 90s extreme metal this turned out to be. If people dig it, that's all cool, but definitely not my cup of tea. My 14 year old self would be losing his mind though, so that's something.

edit: The only melodeath that has grabbed my attention since about 2008.
The Arcane Order
Mors Principium Est

...that somehow...

somewhere...

...all of this makes sense!

Last edited by Magero : 08-08-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Magero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:45 AM   #69
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

There have been one or two bands I've liked in modern Melodeath. They're not ground breaking, but I enjoy them.

Frozen Infinity
Zonaria

Quote:

Last edited by ChemicalFire : 08-08-2012 at 09:46 AM.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:53 AM   #70
Magero
Nothing to say, Bats?

Yeah, see, the only stuff that really gets me in Melodeath these days is either ridiculously layered and "intense" (a la The Arcane Order) or stuff that's ridiculously catchy (MPE). Even then, MPE have a lot of boring-arse SotS worship.

...that somehow...

somewhere...

...all of this makes sense!

Magero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:33 PM   #71
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd

Modern melodeath I've liked would be stuff like this.

Torchbearer
Archons
Underthreat
Thousand Leaves

Morphogenesis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:37 PM   #72
Scratcher17

Quote:
But this is all just my opinion, I feel I should say this every time I get into a discussion like this, I'm not saying you have to start not liking the band or anything. I'm just putting forward why I don't understand why people love the band.

It's okay, I respect your opinion. I did come across as a bit rude in my replies to your posts on this thread so I would like to apologize for it. I felt the need to defend the honor of the band I'm a huge fan of.

At least disscusions like ours keep this thread alive.

Cheers!
Old 08-08-2012, 06:17 PM   #73
Scratcher17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphogenesis26
I don't hear those latter bands at all. Examples?

I don't listen to Rush so I can't recognize their influence on Sylosis.

Pink Floyd,Cult of Luna and Neurosis influences can be found in the arrangements of more ambient and epic sections of the songs. Sylosis uses programs and effects-laden guitars to make those parts of the songs sound fuller in a way that they create subtle orchestrations that add a new dimension to the part(that would be influenced by Pink Floyd and Cult of Luna) while keeping the minimalistic sound of those "ethereal sounds" which can be found in Neurosis and Cult of Luna songs because those bands are known for their minimalism, among other things.

Furthermore, Josh's vocals are more on the shouting side of screaming, which I presume is influenced by Scott Kelly's and Steve Von Till's vocals in Neurosis, although his vocals are not as intense as their vocals are (he said he uses fry technique, while they are basically shouting).
Also, I think the rawer production on Edge of the Earth and Monolith mirrors the production of Cult of Luna and Neurosis albums.

If you want specific examples for those ambient sounds, check out Empyreal Part 2, the part after the solo in Altered States of Consciousness (the quiet ambient part which leads into the melodic section of the song), From the Edge of the Earth etc.
Pretty much every song on the Edge of the Earth has such sounds to some extent, even some songs from Conclusion of an Age have stuff like that.

Also, this sounds like pretty obvious Neurosis and Cult of Luna influence to me with the "tribal" drumming, gloomy clean stuff and ambient sounds in the background.

For vocals check out Procession, Apparitions, From the Edge of The Earth and A Dying Vine. Pretty much any song with Josh on vocals.

Also, their huge influences are Death and Mastodon (I forgot to mention them in my earlier post).
There are harmonies that are played in fourths or fifths that are similar to the style of harmonies employed by both of those bands. Also, Death influences are apparent in melodic, yet technical guitar solos and more complex drum parts on Edge of the Earth album. Also, I hear similarities between Josh's vocals and those of Troy from earlier Mastodon work.

And the song Beyond the Resurrected is a good example of the influence Death and Mastodon have on Sylosis.

This is what I hear in their music that is influenced by those bands.Sorry for the wall of text.

Last edited by Scratcher17 : 08-08-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:05 AM   #74
slipknot836
Trivium's UG tab wench

I love Sylosis! The first song of their's I heard was Empyreal and it blew me away. I honestly can't wait for the knew album. I think I might go and meet them at their next master class in London x)
slipknot836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:06 PM   #75
Scratcher17

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJrk...ture=plpp_video

New studio update.
Preordered the album 2 days ago .
Old 09-21-2012, 12:37 PM   #76
Scourge441
Eyes With Pride

Quote:
If you want specific examples for those ambient sounds, check out Empyreal Part 2, the part after the solo in Altered States of Consciousness (the quiet ambient part which leads into the melodic section of the song), From the Edge of the Earth etc.
Pretty much every song on the Edge of the Earth has such sounds to some extent, even some songs from Conclusion of an Age have stuff like that.

Also, this sounds like pretty obvious Neurosis and Cult of Luna influence to me with the "tribal" drumming, gloomy clean stuff and ambient sounds in the background.

See, I'm not sure that you've actually listened to Neurosis for an extended period of time. The vocals are more likely to be influenced by every 2000's melodic metalcore band than Neurosis, and chalking up the "ambient" sections to a Neurosis/Cult of Luna influence is a pretty bad misrepresentation of what those bands do. There's nothing about those ambient sections that screams "Neurosis" to me.

Google seems to back me up, because I can't find an interview where any member of Sylosis mentions a Neurosis influence.

I can, however, buy that they're influenced by Mastodon. So the Neurosis that you're hearing is probably just the Mastodon influence IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodster
Mega Death?

Are they like Megadeth?
Scourge441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:49 PM   #77
EndTheRapture51
Feminism ruined The Pit

Oath of Silence is still their best song.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
EndTheRapture51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:32 AM   #78
Scratcher17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scourge441
See, I'm not sure that you've actually listened to Neurosis for an extended period of time. The vocals are more likely to be influenced by every 2000's melodic metalcore band than Neurosis, and chalking up the "ambient" sections to a Neurosis/Cult of Luna influence is a pretty bad misrepresentation of what those bands do. There's nothing about those ambient sections that screams "Neurosis" to me.

Google seems to back me up, because I can't find an interview where any member of Sylosis mentions a Neurosis influence.

MR: As singing’s something you’ve not done before, did you have to go through the whole ‘learning how to sing’ thing?

JM: Yeah, I had to do a whole lot of training. I bought the Melissa Ross ‘Zen of Screaming’ DVDs (www.melissacross.com) to get some tips on that. I’d only ever done backing vocals in the band before so I had to just force myself into it. I’d always had favourite singers and people I’d like to emulate, people like Chuck Schuldiner from Death, Scott Kelly from Neurosis, and Kirk from Crowbar… I’m into the more gritty stuff…

http://www.midlandsrocks.co.uk/feat...iddletonsylosis This is the link for the interview with Josh Middleton from which I've extracted this quote.

Also, in this video at 0:06 you can see Times of Grace CD on the table next to the laptop .

About the vocals, I partly agree with you, Josh is using fry technique to scream, while Scott Kelly is basically shouting. There's no way that Josh can achieve the tone of Scott's voice, but there are certainly some parts of the song where he gives of that kind of vibe with his voice, like the 3:18 in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJrk...ture=plpp_video when he starts to scream, it reminds me Scott's voice and the way he would lead the song from the softer part into the heavy part.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:41 AM   #79
slipknot836
Trivium's UG tab wench

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJrk...ture=plpp_video

New studio update.
Preordered the album 2 days ago .

Seen that already, looks great

I pre-ordered the signed version when they first released the pre-order.
Take a look on their Facebook page, they've got a picture of the final copy. It looks pretty awesome!

I've not long tabbed A Dying Vine if you're interested!

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/s/s...ng_vine_tab.htm
slipknot836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:44 PM   #80
Scratcher17

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknot836
Seen that already, looks great

I pre-ordered the signed version when they first released the pre-order.
Take a look on their Facebook page, they've got a picture of the final copy. It looks pretty awesome!

I've not long tabbed A Dying Vine if you're interested!

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/s/s...ng_vine_tab.htm

I've seen the picture of the final product and it looks great. Dan Goldsworthy has once again done a great job with the artwork.
As for the tab, thank you very much for the information, but I started to learn songs by ear not long ago. I'm slowly getting into it and I would like to learn the song that way.
However, thanks for telling me that, at least I'll have a back-up plan if I give up learning the song by ear .
Cheers!

Rate This Thread: