Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Alternative & Indie
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-27-2010, 04:33 PM   #21
RawPower218

Would it be too much of a stretch to suggest Source Tags & Codes? I See A Darkness and In the Aeroplane Over the Sea are both on the list, and all three of these albums kind of fit into the category of "we only know about these albums because Pitchfork Media gave them perfect ratings".

Existence well what does it matter?
I exist on the best terms I can
The past is now part of my future
The present is well out of hand
RawPower218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 05:18 PM   #22
Joshua1207
Hipster Jesus

Modest Mouse's This Is A Long Drive For Someone With Nothing To Think About should be on that album list. I don't know how you can have the Moon & Antarctica and not that album.
Joshua1207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 03:20 AM   #23
hmben1919

dirty projectors anyone?
hmben1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 03:25 PM   #24
crazy8rgood
I'malrightifyou'realright

Fleet Foxes' self titled? MGMT's Oracular Spectacular?

Strawberry Jam? Sung Tongs? Campfire Songs? MERRIWEATHER POST-****ING-PAVILION?!?!?!?

I mean, Feels is good, too, COME OOONNNNNNNNNN UHH_ME!!!

Person Pitch is there, though. I am satisfied by that.

Last edited by crazy8rgood : 06-08-2010 at 05:43 PM.
crazy8rgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:17 PM   #25
DorkusMalorkus
Here, Queer, etc.

Where's Bitte Orca?
DorkusMalorkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:01 PM   #26
RawPower218

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkusMalorkus
Where's Bitte Orca?

It came out in 2009. Albums must be two years old to be on the list.

Existence well what does it matter?
I exist on the best terms I can
The past is now part of my future
The present is well out of hand
Old 06-06-2010, 06:21 PM   #27
DorkusMalorkus
Here, Queer, etc.

Rules are pointless if there are no exceptions to prove them!

But seriously...what an arbitrary rule. We all know it will get added to this list anyway.

Also: every part of you signature is a complete joke, right?
DorkusMalorkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:45 PM   #28
uhh_me?
schmendrick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy8rgood
Fleet Foxes' self titled? MGMT's Oracular Spectacular?

Strawberry Jam? Sung Tongs? Campfire Songs? MERRIWEATHER POST-****ING-PAVILION?!?!?!?

I mean, Feels is good, too, COME OOONNNNNNNNNN UHH_ME!!!

Person Pitch is there, though. I am satisfied by that.

no way am i putting MGMT on here.

and Campfire Songs? you crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkusMalorkus
Rules are pointless if there are no exceptions to prove them!

But seriously...what an arbitrary rule. We all know it will get added to this list anyway.

Also: every part of you signature is a complete joke, right?

it is a bit a pain, but i think the idea was to keep people from suggesting the new latest and greatest album that everyone is in a flutter about.

but as far as DP albums go, i'd be much more likely to add The Getty Address. Bitte is a close second for me, but i'd guess that it is the more popular choice.
uhh_me? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:48 PM   #29
paintITblack39
triangle offense expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhh_me?
no way am i putting MGMT on here.

and Campfire Songs? you crazy.

it is a bit a pain, but i think the idea was to keep people from suggesting the new latest and greatest album that everyone is in a flutter about.

but as far as DP albums go, i'd be much more likely to add The Getty Address. Bitte is a close second for me, but i'd guess that it is the more popular choice.

i disagree with the MGMT comment. you might not like them, but their first album is "essential" worthy. it's liked enough by many people and serves as a good introduction for people looking into new music.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:42 AM   #30
Bmm386
no mood, no soul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintITblack39
i disagree with the MGMT comment. you might not like them, but their first album is "essential" worthy. it's liked enough by many people and serves as a good introduction for people looking into new music.

Good sir, but how in the world can one say that Oracular Spectacular is Indie or Alternative? Shit was top 40 from the beginning.

AS far the AnCo is concerned, i think they're going to become known as an electro-pop group in the future -- just because of MPP's huge popularity. That being said, it's probably more appropriate to put MPP on there rather than, say, Here Comes the Indian.
Bmm386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:25 PM   #31
RawPower218

MPP should be added on January 20th, 2011.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:34 PM   #32
paintITblack39
triangle offense expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmm386
Good sir, but how in the world can one say that Oracular Spectacular is Indie or Alternative? Shit was top 40 from the beginning.

true, but look at Is This It? it debuted in the UK at #2 and peaked at #33 on the billboard 200, higher than Oracular Spectacular which peaked at #38.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:03 PM   #33
Bmm386
no mood, no soul.

I'm not saying that Is This It should be there either.
Bmm386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:21 PM   #34
work sucks
i know.

Quote:
I'm not saying that Is This It should be there either.

blasphemy!

so alt/indie essentials can't be successful? where would you draw the line on the charts?
Old 06-12-2010, 06:46 PM   #35
12345abcd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by work sucks
blasphemy!

so alt/indie essentials can't be successful? where would you draw the line on the charts?
+1

Is This It was an album full of pop songs, everyone knows that, but they were very good pop songs. Even Pitchfork admits that, despite the hype which causes so many bands to become massive dissapointments, Is This It was a great album. It was also very influential.

Oracular Spectacular is an album I regret buying. To be honest, I haven't given it enough listens to dismiss it completely but apart from the singles and a few exceptions the songs all sounded very weak, perhaps too creative to be called filler but still not particularly good. The singles themselves weren't amazing; do Kids, Time To Pretend and Electric Feel really compare to Last Nite, Someday and Hard To Explain? I'd argue no and I'd also argue that Is This It was a lot more consistent.

And I wouldn't say that MGMT's debut was particularly influential either .

That's my justification for leaving Oracular Spectacular off, not because it was too popular. IMO, Alternative/Indie should be treated as a genre. Obviously the very nature of Indie and Alternative means that you'll find a lot more underground stuff making the essential lists than other genres but their shouldn't be the sort of "They can't be Indie, they're on a major record label."

That sort of mentality is also sometimes applied to Death Cab since they went to Atlantic but I actually agree with leaving Death Cab off because, while I do love them and would perhaps argue that the band itself may be essential, I don't think they have any albums consistent enough to be "essential".

This is fact not fiction, for the first time in years.

Last edited by 12345abcd3 : 06-12-2010 at 06:53 PM.
12345abcd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:40 AM   #36
crazy8rgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345abcd3
+1

Is This It was an album full of pop songs, everyone knows that, but they were very good pop songs. Even Pitchfork admits that, despite the hype which causes so many bands to become massive dissapointments, Is This It was a great album. It was also very influential.

Oracular Spectacular is an album I regret buying. To be honest, I haven't given it enough listens to dismiss it completely but apart from the singles and a few exceptions the songs all sounded very weak, perhaps too creative to be called filler but still not particularly good. The singles themselves weren't amazing; do Kids, Time To Pretend and Electric Feel really compare to Last Nite, Someday and Hard To Explain?

No, but The Handshake, Future Reflections, Weekend Wars, 4th Dimensional Transition, Pieces of What, Of Moons, Birds and Monsters, every song on that album that WEREN'T the singles do. Those songs are ****ing gold. The singles aren't half bad, though.

In fact, the only songs on that album that were Top 40 pop-sounding songs WERE the singles. The better 7/10ths of the album is straight up psychedelic rock (insanely produced psychedelic rock, but hey, the producer was Dave Friddman, what are you gonna do?). In my opinion it's one of the best albums of the past 20 years, of all time even.

And, no, it's not just because it's "SO HYPED LOLZOLZOLZ" and I'm some fag who buys into hype and just likes things because they're popular. I honestly believe it is a ****ing fantastic album, and deserving 100% of an "essentials" list. I would say almost the same thing about Congratulations, but I haven't had that long enough to tell you if I'll feel the same way in a few years. Oracular I have had, and I can tell you that.

I've also never understood what was so special about the Strokes, anyways, they bore me to death after a few listens.

Quote:
AS far the AnCo is concerned, i think they're going to become known as an electro-pop group in the future -- just because of MPP's huge popularity. That being said, it's probably more appropriate to put MPP on there rather than, say, Here Comes the Indian.

Oh no, Here Comes the Indian is terrible (Except for Two Sails On a Sound and Slippi), I don't think anybody even thought of that going on a list like this.

Last edited by crazy8rgood : 06-13-2010 at 12:44 AM.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:06 PM   #37
work sucks
i know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy8rgood
No, but The Handshake, Future Reflections, Weekend Wars, 4th Dimensional Transition, Pieces of What, Of Moons, Birds and Monsters, every song on that album that WEREN'T the singles do. Those songs are ****ing gold. The singles aren't half bad, though.

I've also never understood what was so special about the Strokes, anyways, they bore me to death after a few listens.

Oh no, Here Comes the Indian is terrible (Except for Two Sails On a Sound and Slippi), I don't think anybody even thought of that going on a list like this.

wow, i disagree with you so strongly on all of these points...

Oracular Spectacular is pretty good, and it has some fantastic songs on it, but as a whole, as an album... i can't say it's great. i mean, it takes a really great album to get on this list and become essential. obviously you're a huge MGMT fan (your sig tells all) so you're going to push for them a little more than the average music fan. most of the time i can tell why an album is on this essentials list even if i don't like it, but i just can't see any justification for Oracular Spectacular being on it. Even Congratulations, while not having as many stand-out songs as OS, is a better overal album than OS. and i'm not saying Congratulations should be on the list either.

i think that the fact that we're (several members here) having this much disagreement over one album/band should tell you that they really shouldn't be up there...

anyway, i need not defend The Strokes... they've proven themselves.

and even though Here Comes The Indian is a really fantastic album, I agree that it should not be on the list as an essential.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:29 PM   #38
Joshua1207
Hipster Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua1207
Modest Mouse's This Is A Long Drive For Someone With Nothing To Think About should be on that album list. I don't know how you can have the Moon & Antarctica and not that album.

Are you not gonna add that album?
New Album Melancholic
LIKE MY FACEBOOK http://www.facebook.com/MockOffMusic
Joshua1207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:50 PM   #39
uhh_me?
schmendrick.

Quote:
Oracular Spectacular is pretty good, and it has some fantastic songs on it, but as a whole, as an album... i can't say it's great. i mean, it takes a really great album to get on this list and become essential. obviously you're a huge MGMT fan (your sig tells all) so you're going to push for them a little more than the average music fan. most of the time i can tell why an album is on this essentials list even if i don't like it, but i just can't see any justification for Oracular Spectacular being on it. Even Congratulations, while not having as many stand-out songs as OS, is a better overal album than OS. and i'm not saying Congratulations should be on the list either.

i think that the fact that we're (several members here) having this much disagreement over one album/band should tell you that they really shouldn't be up there...

boom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua1207
Are you not gonna add that album?

nope. doesn't match up to TM&A and LCW.

still good, but hardly essential to someone new to the genre.
uhh_me? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:45 PM   #40
crazy8rgood

Quote:

Eh, I guess you're right...

I still think it should be there, though. >.>

Rate This Thread: